A Bit Off

Only in Fiction...

 

A/N: New chapter~  Please comment!  xD

 

---18---

 

Jaehwa collapsed exhaustedly into the comfortable chair in the Cube lounge room.  She had just finished another long schedule with Yoseob.  She was not really complaining because she finally was able to spend time with her best friend again, even if he didn’t acknowledge it.  But there was just so much to do.  She felt overwhelmed by the constant events that took up the majority of her time awake.  Jaehwa had not gotten much sleep either.  Running around from schedule to schedule was taking its toll on her ability to think clearly.

She had just closed her eyes when someone burst into the quiet room.  She immediately recognized the sound of the person’s voice without having to open her eyes.  “Taking a nap, are we?” the person said in amusement.

“Isn’t it obvious?” Jaehwa asked, a weary chuckle leaving her lips.  “How’s it going, unnie?”

Hyuna took the seat across from her.  “Good.  What about you?  I haven’t seen you in person for a while now.”

“I’m doing well,” she replied shortly, shifting slightly in her seat to get into a more comfortable position.

“I see,” the 4Minute rapper paused before hesitantly asking, “How are you doing with Yoseob?”

Jaehwa bit her lip, her eyes still closed.  “Well, we’re at least talking now.”

The older girl let out a small laugh.  “Don’t you have to?  I mean, you’re duet partners!”

Jaehwa answered hesitantly.  “I…I guess we’re friends again.”

“Only friends?  That’s progress…but isn’t there anything else?”

Eyes open now, Jaehwa scoffed.  She replied with an almost bitter edge to her voice.  “When has it ever been anything more?”

Hyuna remained silent.  The younger girl sighed.  “Mianhae, unnie.  I didn’t mean to snap at you.  I’m just so tired, and these problems aren’t exactly feeding me energy.”

“Arasso,” Hyuna said, patting her dongsaeng’s head playfully.  “I can’t ever stay mad at you for anything.”

Jaehwa rolled her eyes jokingly.  “Aish,” she mumbled.

Hyuna then took on a more serious tone.  “But you have to tell me when you’re upset about something.  It’s not good to keep things bottled up.  Arasso?”

“Ne,” Jaehwa agreed, closing her eyes again as Hyuna began to chat about random things.

-----------------------------------------

It was a quick break time in the Beast practice room.  The boys were sprawled on the floor, each absorbed in his own activity.  Dongwoon was texting his friends on his phone, Hyunseung was gulping down a bottle of water, Gikwang was monitoring the videos of their practices that day, Junhyung was tapping his pencil thoughtfully against his notebook as he thought of new raps, and Dujun was fiddling absentmindedly with the stereo.  Yoseob was resting on his arms and stomach, soft, almost inaudible snores emitting from his mouth.

Dongwoon suddenly cleared his throat loudly, turning everyone’s attention onto him.  He grinned sheepishly.  “Mianhae.  I’m just bored.”

Across from him, Gikwang raised a brow, smirking slightly before returning to his camcorder.  His eyes narrowed in concentration as he focused on the members’ dance moves.  Dujun looked over in interest.  “Something wrong?” he asked.

“Ani,” Gikwang replied, still staring at the small screen.  “It’s just…” he trailed off, motioning to the only sleeping member in the room.

Dujun nodded.  “I see,” he said, “He’s a bit off today?”

“Mhm,” the younger boy hummed in response.

Hyunseung tossed his now-empty water bottle into the trash can and slid across the floor to sit next to Gikwang.  He stared at the figures dancing in the video for a while.  “You’re right.  He looks like he’s off in space somewhere.  Seobie, come back to Seoul!” he joked as Gikwang elbowed him.

Dujun chuckled as he turned off the stereo.  “Give him a break.  He’s had a lot on his mind lately, what with the subunit promotions and…everything else.”

“Everything else?  There’s something else?” Gikwang asked in confusion.

The leader pursed his lips, not having meant to reveal too much.  All eyes, except Yoseob’s, were upon him now, awaiting his explanation.  Eventually, Dujun shook his head.  “It’s nothing.”

“This is about Jaehwa, isn’t it?” Dongwoon suddenly piped in, curiosity laced in his voice.

Dujun’s eyes widened in surprise.  “What?”

“Hyung, I’ve been hanging with you a lot lately because we’ve had the same schedules.  I’ve heard your conversations with Hyuna about Jaehwa, and you always mention Yoseob in the conversation.”

Taken aback, Dujun looked from member to member as realization blossomed on each of their faces.  The leader hesitated a bit before saying, “Yoseob…hasn’t realized his feelings yet.  But time will eventually get him to his senses.”

“What about Jaehwa?  How is she taking it?” Junhyung spoke up, referring to Yoseob and IU’s relationship.

“I don’t know,” Dujun answered, glancing at the peaceful expression on Yoseob’s face as he slept.  “I honestly don’t know.”

-----------------------------------------

The dial tone droned on for what seemed like eternity as Jaehwa fidgeted anxiously.

Suddenly, it paused.  Her eyes widened as she awaited another voice on the other end of the line.  But only silence answered her.

“Appa?” Jaehwa meekly spoke into the phone.  “Appa, are you there?”

“I’m sorry,” the sudden mechanical tone made Jaehwa jump in surprise, “but the person you are calling is not available right now.  Please leave a message and try again later.”

Jaehwa sighed, pressing the END button on her phone.