Thirty Five

Perks of being alive

 

 

 Chapter Thirty Five -   Final 


 

"Oh really? Do I have to come?" Samdong asked me, although it was actually pointless since we were on our way already.

"Come on, it's just for a while,"

"Just admit you can't do this without your manager," he smirked.

"Actually, you're right," I looked out of the window, a vast sea of people was already lining up, "You'll need to calm the crowd down,"


Samdong shook his head and parked the car before opening the door at my side. He helped me got out and closed the door behind me.

"You got a lot of signing to do here, Nara,"

"Yeah," I chuckled.

"Don't say I didn't tell you to wear something better," he pointed at my plain white tee and my jeans.

"What's wrong with this?" I rolled my eyes as the both of us walked into the building.

The crowd was amazing, and it still felt so surreal. I sat down on the provided seat, facing the queue. I didn't know how many times I've been doing this, but it still races my heart beat, looking at people holding my work, I mean.

"Good luck," Samdong whispered and gave me a peck on my cheek.

"Thank you,"

He winked at me before running down the line filled with people. The signing begun. One by one books were scratched with my autograph and I just couldn't believe how amazing it was to see that much people reading something I wrote. And it was funny that it took me years to realized where my passion was. I wasn't good at writing, no, but I definitely loved writing. It did get better as I took courses and tuitions, Samdong contributed in helping me as well.

My blue pen eventually ran out of ink and that was when I realized I was almost done.

"Sorry, I have to change this," I told the girl before me with a chuckle. She was young, maybe about twelve or thirteen, and of course, it was a rare scene to see someone as young as her reading my works.

"Oh, it's okay," she laughed a bit, "I love your books by the way,"

I shuffled the inside of my pencil case for another pen, "Oh really? Thank you,"

"Yeah, Eden leaves is really amazing,"

I grinned, "Is that your favorite one?"

"I can't tell which one is my favorite, they're all amazing,"

I opened the cap of the pen and signed on the first sheet of her book, "What's your name?"

"Minjae,"

It'd be a lie if I said my heart was still beating at the same phase. I closed the book and handed it back to her.

"You know Minjae, promise me something hm?"

"Anything,"

"Stay strong, and don't give up no matter what, okay?" I patted her head affectionately.

She smiled and nodded, "I won't give up,"

"That's great,"


"Did you?"


I smirked a bit, pondering her question for a moment, "I almost did,"

She nodded again, "You're right. If you gave up, you won't be here. I won't be reading your books, and I might give up as well,"

"You're correct, Minjae."


-***-


"I think you should turn left," I pointed at the intersection in front while looking at the GPS.

"No, if I turn left we'll go round and round again," Samdong said.

"But it says here..." I frowned and looked at the GPS again, "Okay, turn right,"

Samdong turned his steering wheel to the right in a hurry and grunted, "You can't read maps,"

"I read maps!" I retorted.

"Are you serious?" He scoffed.

"You're going to marry me anyway, so you'll have to bear with me," I laughed.

"Oh, I can break our contract, and you would not be Lee Nara,"

"Lee Nara sounds weird doesn't it?"

"That's because your name's weird," Samdong joined laughing

"That's very funny,"

He rolled his eyes, "Okay, look which way am I supposed to head now,"

"There," I pointed straight forward.

"Hm," he pressed on the gas pedal and after passing a few blocks, we arrived to the restaurant we were heading to, "Here we are,"

He turned of the car engine and after stepping out, he opened the door on my side.

"Your fingers are sore," he rubbed them, "The fan signing must be crazy,"

I laughed, "The crowd was awesome,"

 "That's what you always say," Samdong opened the restaurant pane glass door and held it for me.

"Because they're always awesome,"

The restaurant was rather posh and elegant, with maroon carpet laid on the floor, and wine glasses on the table. It wasn't long until we spotted Hoya's blonde hair. He was sitting at the round table, in the middle of the eating place. Raina and Woohyun was there as well.

I got excited immediately and grinned as I walked towards them with Samdong.

"Hey!" I greeted them, and they all stood up, looking quite startled.

It was funny how Woohyun had got even taller, and how Hoya had thinner cheeks. Raina was just the same, with legs that were lanky, of course. She had longer hair though, that was tied into a pony tail. Seven years went by amazingly fast.

"Nara!" Hoya chuckled and hugged me. Woohyun did the same.

"Wow! You've gotten even prettier!" Raina exclaimed, making me laugh.


"Hyung!"

The three of them bro punched Samdong. Sure, they all knew him. After all, he was the one behind my beautiful marks during my third year, he was the reason why I got accepted to enter the prestigious university, he was my support. We used to hang out with him sometimes, going for lunch or a basket ball game.

"Where's Sora?" I asked Woohyun.

"She's in the restroom," he answered, "I wonder what's taking here so long but I'm sure she'll be here soon,"


The rest of the group, excluding Ailee and Sungjong, came in couples. They said that Sunggyu was here in Korea and he had been notified about our reunion. I know it was stupid, but somehow I still did want to see him, I wanted to see how he was doing. We left one seat empty for Sunggyu.


"So tell me, who's with who?" Woohyun rubbed the palms of his hands in excitement.

So to summarize everything, let me tell you who's with who. So, I was obviously engaged to Samdong, that we know. My first impression when he came to my apartment for our tuition session was that he was definitely good looking, in contrary to his voice through the phone. But not as handsome as Myungsoo that was. And I was still dating the latter at that time, so I thought my first impression wasn't really important. We grew closer of course. We argued a lot, about physics, about biology, about maths, but we realized that we always looked forward to our next session. The both of us often went for lunch alone, sometimes with the group. But most of all, he made me realize that I loved writing, and I wouldn't be here, in this position, if it weren't for him.

Woohyun and Sora was married, and it just made me realize that high school love could lead to marriage. Next was Myungsoo with this cute girl sitting next to him. Suzy was her name. She was pretty, with her petite body and glimmering eyes.  They just started dating and they actually look absolutely great together. Myungsoo and I weren't really awkward, no, we never were since we broke up.

Then, there was Sungyeol and Hara. It was funny that she resembled Yuri (Sungyeol failed going out with Yuri, by the way). She had long hazel hair and just like her boyfriend, she was tall. It's amazing, really, how Sungyeol could have a serious relationship. He was an engineer then, which was not a real surprise.

Oh! Hoya and Raina were together! No, they didn't actually date during high school. As expected, they went for the national volleyball team.

"Why didn't you guys date during high school?" Sungyeol exclaimed.

Hoya laughed sheepishly while Raina retorted, "Oh Sungyeol, why didn't you start dating Yuri during high school too?"

"We just didn't match," Sungyeol shrugged.

"Exactly,"

And I could seriously see Sungyeol trying to open his mouth to argue but Hara rubbed the back of his hand which made him shut up, and I was glad. At least now Sungyeol had Hara, and I didn't have to worry about him being childish and all. Dongwoo brought his 'friend'. She was beautiful, in the way that she was really supple and friendly. Mia's her name. She was actually a foreign student from Japan, and they met each other during their literature classes. It was a surprise to know Dongwoo working as a dance teacher, and not as a poet or author despite his major.

"So what do you do now, Ailee?" Woohyun asked.

"I'm a singer," she smiled, "But I actually teach vocal lessons as well. And you, Woohyun?"

"I do what everyone does, opening a company and all," he chuckled.

"I can't believe you're the first one to get married though," Hoya commented.

"Where's your wife Woohyun?" Dongwoo asked.

"In the restroom, but she's really taking her time," Woohyun frowned.

Sora was definitely taking her time. Our food and drinks were served already, and we've even started eating, and yet, we haven't got to see her.

"I'll go check on her," Ailee said and stood up, heading to the restroom.

"So when are you guys getting married?" Dongwoo asked me and Samdong after Ailee left.

Samdong shrugged, "We're planning it to be on Spring,"

"But Spring's cold," Hoya said.

"But wouldn't it be nice? With all the flowers and all. Summer's too hot," Suzy said.

"It's still tentative though," I chuckled.

"I don't care which season it is as long as I get to eat tasty foods-"

"Geez! Woohyun!!" Ailee exclaimed in a panicky voice while running towards the table. Everyone literally dropped their spoon and stared at her with jaws wide open.

"W-what? What happened to Sora?" Woohyun stood up.


Ailee braced herself before laughing and tapped his shoulder, "I think you've thought about why Sora hasn't come out of the restroom yet," she smirked, "Congrats Woohyun, you're going to be a father,"


-***-


Sora came a few moment later, looking absolutely pale. Her husband didn't really help her by being super elated and all, bombarding her with tons of questions.

"Shush, just for a while okay?" Sora rubbed the back of Woohyun's hand, "I'm dizzy,"

And it was cute you know, seeing your friend realizing that they were about to have a kid on our reunion. Samdong squeezed my hand and leaned closer to me before whispering with a smirk, "We're going to have ours really soon, okay?"

I couldn't help but laugh and patted his shoulder, "What's with the rush?" 
 
All I got in return was a quick peck on my cheek.


-***-


The reunion soon came to its end. It was only Myungsoo, Suzy, Sungjong, Samdong and me that were left. I was in the midst of talking with Samdong when Myungsoo called me.

"Hm?" I turned to him.

"Suzy wants to ask you something,"

Suzy was grinning beside him and nodding her head, "Myungsoo said he was the top student in the class, I think that needs verification," she said with a cute laugh.

"Oh, actually," I smirked while Myungsoo was looking rather worried, "He was the top student," I pointed to Sungjong.

"Yah! You could've at least lied," Myungsoo protested.

I raised both of my palms up, "I'm sorry but I'm a honest person," I said, "But don't worry Suzy, Myungsoo was in the top five,"

"Ah, I see," she leaned closer to the table, "What else do I need to know about him?"

I totally liked it that Suzy wasn't bothered with the fact that I used to be her current boyfriend's girl.

"Oh great," her boyfriend sighed, "You're asking my ex about that,"

"Don't worry Myung," I laughed, "But let's see. Your boyfriend is terrified with roller coasters, so I don't think going to the theme park is a good idea for your date. He obviously likes photography, and oh, he has this obsession with this color called black and he hates..."

Wait...


"Nara?" Samdong frowned at my  sudden pause.

"What's wrong?" Suzy questioned.

"Myung," I smiled, "The outfit that you're wearing today..." I pointed at his colorful tees and pants.

He looked down at what he was wearing and took a few moments before he gasped, "I- I don't... I didn't plan on this, I swear," he started to laugh.

"Woah..." I stared in awe, "That was my gift during your birthday!"

I glanced at Suzy and smiled genuinely, "Relax it was eight years ago," I turned back to Myungsoo and shook my head, "You didn't grow up did you?"

"You still keep what she gave you?" Samdong asked.

"Oh, look who's jealous here," Suzy teased and we laughed.

"I'm going to marry you okay? Not Myungsoo. So let's be cool hm?" I nodded at the man beside me.

He grinned and nodded back at me, sarcastically that was.

"But yeah," Myungsoo sighed, "It was the past,"

I agreed with him, "It's just memories now, and lessons. I don't see the harm on keeping those memories. It's a part of our life anyway. If I hadn't date Myungsoo and broke up with him, I probably wouldn't be your  fiancé now," I held Samdong's hand.

He wrapped my hand with his warm ones, "You're right,"


-***-


After Myungsoo and Suzy went back, it was obviously only the three of us. But then, you see, I didn't really feel like going back, not when I was still staring at that one particular empty chair that had not been occupied since the beginning.


"What are you waiting for?" Samdong asked.

I sighed, "Just... For a few moment okay?"

He looked glanced at his watch, "I have to meet my boss,"

"Really? Even on sunday?"

"We're launching a new project tomorrow. You did your fansigning today as well," he retorted with a gentle smile.

I rolled my eyes, "I guess I'll have to excuse you on this one,"

"I'll see you later," he stood up and kissed my forehead, "Bye,"

I watched him leave the restaurant and suspired quietly.

"Ah, I'm jealous," Sungjong chuckled.

I looked at him and shook my head with a smile, "Are we waiting for the same thing?"

"More like hoping for the same thing," he said.  
 
I swayed my feet above the ground, "Do you think he'll come though?"

Sungjong shook his head, "Only he and God could tell,"

"Sometimes I wonder you know. How do you feel and all when I'm so close with Sunggyu," I looked up at him, "Doesn't it hurt?"

"It does," a sad smile sat on his lips.

"How do you fight it?"

"I don't. I let the pain go all over my heart. I endure,"

I shook my head again, "You're really a something,"

"Everyone's a something,"

"Do you still..."

"Like him?" Sungjong completed my question and I nodded, "I don't know. That's why I'm here, I want to see if my heart still races when I see Sunggyu,"

I sighed and nodded.

"Actually... I'm meeting someone right now," he confessed, "He's just like me. And there was this time when he asked me if I wanted to go out with him, but I wanted to make sure that I've completely moved on from Sunggyu,"

I sighed and bit my lips.

"He'll come Sungjong,"  I assured the both of us, "He'll come,"

"I hope so,"


-***-

Sunggyu came an hour later. When I was expecting him to be a mess, he wasn't. He was the exact old Sunggyu I knew, with his black hair and clean black shirt.

He was walking towards us and I could see Sungjong fixing his gaze on him.

"Does your heart still go mad?" I whispered.

Sungjong actually grinned and chuckled before shaking his head, "No."


-***-

"Nara..." He called me softly and I could only look at him in the eye.

We were alone now, just the two of us in the ice cream parlor. I wondered why I had even agreed to go with him.

"How have you been?" He started awkwardly.

I cleared my throat and looked out of the window, "I'm good,"

He nodded, "I'm good too,"

"Yeah," I averted my gaze down the floor, "How long have you been here?"

"Two years or so,"

"Two years?" I pretended to not be surprised.

"Yeah,"

Freaking two years and he didn't tell a single news to me.

"Are you mad?" He asked.

"You think so?"

He nodded.

"It's two years Sunggyu,"

"I know," he retorted.

"Why didn't you tell me anything?"

"Because I wanted to see,"

"See what?"

"See what'd you'd do without me,"

I scoffed, "I survived Sunggyu. It wasn't like you saved me from hell,"

He stared at my hand and pointed at my ring finger, "You're married," he gritted his teeth.

"Engaged,"

He looked away.

"What? Are you angry now?"

He was.

Sunggyu scoffed and shook his head, "You're damn stupid Nara," he said through his clenched jaw and stood up, going out of the parlor.

"At least explain why am I stupid!" I exclaimed, but didn't intend to follow him.

It was the second time I saw him dropping a tear.

And I realized that after all of the lessons life gave me for two decades and a half, I still couldn't understand my own best friend. But isn't that one of the perks of being alive: To never understand something fully?Who knows, the truth might just stab you right through the core of your heart.


At least that was what happened to me in the end.

 

-***-

We all laugh

We all cry

We all frown

We all smile

 

We all dream

We all make it happen

We all went through ups

We all went through downs

 

I make mistakes

and so do you

We all fall in love

We all got hurt

 

Sometimes I wonder

If there is anything to ponder

Then I came to a conclusion

It's life.

 

We all are living

We all have lifes

Sometimes we're too busy

To enjoy the perks of being alive

 



 

Hello my lovely readers :) if you've read up to here, I'd like to thank you a whole lot and give you huge namu hearts <3 <3 To all readers, commenters, subscribers, everyone, I really really thank you for the support :) It really means a lot! I wouldn't be able to finish this fic if it weren't for you guys. But then again, I'm terribly sorry if I've disappointed you guys with the ending and all. I'm sorry for my slow updates and all of my mistakes here. I could never thank you guys enough! 

Once again: THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! <3 

 

*edited: So, if you guys did subscribe to what was once the sequel of this fic (Eleutheromania), you probably would know that I'm deleting it TT but um, I made a new fic in replace for that, although it is not related to PoBA, but I hope you'll give it a shot -  A Pretty Struggle  :) Thanks!