Thirty Two

Perks of being alive

 

 

 Chapter Thirty Two -   My best friend 


 

"Oh, be careful there," Myungsoo pulled me from falling down. 

My whole body heated up, no, not only my face. I gave him a smile as a reflex and let my body out of his grip after balancing myself. 

"Thanks,"

Just why should I forget to bring the gift? 

"And, happy birthday Myungsoo," I extended my hand and he shook it. 

The way his hands engulfed around mines, making our palms stuck against each other, was just... Amazing. 

"Thank you Nara, I'm happy that you remembered it," he smiled, his sweet dimples forming. 

"Of course," I chortled, "But I forget to bring your gift," I admitted with a laugh. 

He dropped his jaws in an exaggerated manner which made me laugh more.  

"I'm sorry Myung," I said finally. 

"I'll have to reconsider whether you should come to my dinner party tonight," 

I rolled my eyes, "So you plan to invite me?" 

"I invite everyone Nara, don't be flattered," 

"I'm not," I scoffed. 

"Both of you, back to your classes, now," Just so suddenly, Mr. Choi tapped my back and pulled me into my class. 

"Didn't I tell you Nara? No dating?" He scolded in a friendly manner as we both walked into the classroom. 

"We're not dating!" I objected. 

"That's what they say," he rolled his eyes, "Get back to your seat," 


Sungyeol tried to trip me, but I just happen to see his lanky leg beside his table, and glared at him. 

"Not funny," I mouthed.  

I sat on my place and took out my notebook for Mr. Choi's class which was maths. Hanseok grinned at me and I smiled back. 

"Hey, Nara, have you done your homework?" He asked, still beaming from ear to ear. 

I widened my eye, "What homework?" 

"Eh... Maths?" He answered uncertainly while pointing to Mr. Choi who was busy writing down today's lesson plan on the board. 

"We have homework?" I frowned. 

"Okay, first things first, submit your homeworks," Mr. Choi instructed.

I panicked and glanced at around the room. To make the situation worst, everyone stood up and placed their homework in front of Mr. Choi. I looked at Sungyeol. He was looking back at me. 

"Your homework?" He mouthed. 

I shook my head, "I didn't know," I mouthed back. 

He checked on Mr. Choi who was still busy collecting the homework and sighed. He scribbled something on the cover of his notebook and came to my place, dropping his book above my table. I frowned and took a look on it. On the cover page, 'Song Nara' was written above the correction fluid. I looked up to Sungyeol. 

"Go ahead and submit, what are you waiting for?" 

"But wouldn't Mr. Choi notice?" 

"Why would he? It's the first time he gave us homework," 

I gave a chuckle, and shook my head, "What happened to you man?" I said and submitted his notebook. 

When everyone already settled down on their respective places, Mr. Choi called out Sungyeol and asked him about his homework. 

"I forgot to bring my notebook, I'll make sure to submit it by the end of the day," he reasoned just so naturally that everyone would think that it was true. 

Mr. Choi smiled and said, "Make sure you do it, and I also want to talk to you after school," he turned to the board and was about to write something, but swirled around again, "You too, Nara," 

Crap.


***


The sound of the pen tapping against the table wasn't helping at all. I was nervous because it seemed that Mr. Choi knew it was Sungyeol's homework. No, actually, I was sure that he knew it was Sungyeol's homework. 

"Being a good friend is nice," he started, "But do you think that sacrificing your homework makes you a good friend Lee Sungyeol?" 

Crap.  

"N-no, Mr. Choi," Sungyeol shook his head. 

I bowed my face, not daring to look at my homeroom teacher although I was sure that he knew what was happening. 

"Nara, tell me honestly, why didn't you do your homework?" 

"I..." I what? "I didn't know that you gave us homeworks," I finally had the guts to look up, but still, I couldn't meet his eyes. I directed my gaze to the pile of books on his table. 

"Okay, makes sense," Mr. Choi nodded, "I won't punish you, but you have to submit your homework tomorrow morning. And you, Sungyeol, I appreciate your heroic act today, but I don't think it would help Nara with anything," 

The both of us bowed down and apologized quietly. Despite being scolded by Mr. Choi, I actually fancy him, as a teacher of course. 

"Okay, you both can go now," he smiled, "And oh, Nara," 

"Yeah?" I frowned. What else? 

"You and Myungsoo look good together," 

I felt my heart sped up, and my whole body stiff. 

"Oh, it's not that we're dating," I let a  nervous chuckle. 

"They will," Sungyeol added and I glared at him.

My homeroom teacher clicked his tongue and smirked before saying, "Now go back home, and don't forget your homework Nara," 

"I won't," I assured him. 

With that, we left the school. I asked Sungyeol to come over to my house, since Myungsoo would be celebrating his birthday that evening. 

I did Mr. Choi's homework in a rush, and joined Sungyeol in the living room. He was watching a drama or something, while texting. 

"You know, I would really appreciate it if you stop texting with Yuri," I said as I dropped myself on the couch beside him. 

"Hmm, wait a second," he kept his gaze on his phone while his fingers were dancing above the screen. 

I sighed, and finally, after a few moment, Sungyeol placed his phone on the couch, "Okay, you have all my attention, Song Nara," 

I pinned my gaze on the random drama that was playing on the television. To be honest, Sungyeol changed. And it would be a lie if I say that it didn't hurt. It .

"Come on, you're not going to be mad right now right?" 

"What if I am?" 

"You can't," 

"Why not?" 

I averted my gaze to him, and our eyes met. His jaws were taut, and his eyes was rather hostile. It was scary, but I knew Sungyeol won't hurt me. He would give me this kind of face when he insists on something. 

"You don't get mad, just because I'm close with Yuri," 

I scoffed, "Why not?" 

"All this time Nara, don't you think I feel the same way when you got closer to Myungsoo?" 

I frowned as the echo of Sungyeol's rhetorical question penetrated through my ear drums.  

"Don't you think I felt left out?" 

"Wait, so you're doing this just for revenge? Like I mean, I'm sorry okay, I didn't know you felt that way," I said, "But that doesn't mean you should pretend to be interested in Yuri," 


His mouth opened, trying to say something. But no words came out. 

"That's so childish Sungyeol, you could've at least tell me that you didn't like me and Myungsoo hanging around too often," I said. 

"Even if I tell you Nara, you won't know how it feels," his gaze softened and to be honest, I was relieved, "Let me count how many close friends you have. Sunggyu's on your back, then there's Myungsoo and Sungjong, and oh, hey, if you ever got into a fight with the whole group, there's Minjae. Can't you see how safe your position is?

"And what about me Nara? I'm only close with you and Myungsoo, and guess what? They're going to date each other," 

I wasn't flattered at all when Sungyeol said his last sentence. I usually would be very happy, but not at the moment. 

He was right though. It then made me remember all of the texts from Sungyeol that I had been ignoring, and I wished that I could turn back time; not only because I hurt Sungyeol, but because Yuri was involved in this too and I felt extremely sorry for her. 

"You could've just told me Sungyeol," I murmured quietly, dropping my gaze, "You should end this thing with Yuri," 

He chortled and shook his head, "No Nara," he smiled, "It is indeed true that everything happens for a reason. Thanks to you, I became close with Yuri, and now, I'm falling for her," his voice trailed off.

I switched off the television because its noise was ruining the mood. I cocked my eyebrow, "So you do like her, and this is not one of your trick to get a 'revenge' on me," 

He nodded and looked at me in the eye, "Yeah,"

"You're so childish!" I exclaimed and threw him one of the couch pillow.

He widened his eye, "Is it my fault to like her?" 

"Well, no," I rolled my eyes.

"I'll promise you I'm not going to ignore you anymore," he laughed, "We're good?" 

"We've always been good," I retorted, "You're just exaggerating," 

"Yeah, says the one who complains," 

"I didn't complain!" I exclaimed. 

"Okay, we're not fighting about this anymore," 

"Call," 


We were silent until Sungyeol opened his mouth, "Seems you're on your PMS-" 

"Don't," I glared at him, "Don't start," 

He raised both of his palms in a surrendering manner, "Okay," 

When I glanced at the clock, it was already six. We decided to change, and as expected, I didn't know what to wear. Sungyeol was already in his denim shirt, with his sleeves rolled up, and white jeans pants, ten minutes later while I was still staring at my closet.  

He stood behind me and gave a small laugh. 

"You should wear something nice, his parents would be there," 

I swirled my body and turned to him, "It's not like we're dating or something," 

"Although you're looking forward to that moment," 

"Are we going to start this debate again?" 

"No," 

"Good, now help me," I faced my body back to the closet. 

Sungyeol stood beside me and examined what I had inside my wardrobe. With his lanky hands, he grabbed a white dress that was hidden behind my piles of shirts. 

"This one looks good," he said. 

"Problem is, I don't know if I would fit in," I sighed, "I've gained some weight," 

"How much have you gained?" 

"One kilo," 

My best friend rolled his eyes in annoyance and exclaimed, "That does not mean you suddenly increase five dress sizes! Come on, Nara, think," he handed me the dress, "Try it on," 

I have to thank the annoying Lee Sungyeol for suggesting me a decent dress that night. It fitted on me really nicely, and I realized that I didn't hate dresses as much as I used to. 

"Oh, Dongwoo moved to Sunggyu's place, do you want him to go with us as well?" I asked when we were ready. 

"Dongwoo moved here?" 

"Yeah, funny isn't it?" 

He chuckled, "A bit, but anyway, he can join us if he wants," 

I combed my hair once again and fixed myself in front of the mirror for the last time before the both of us headed out.

I knocked on Dongwoo's apartment, and Mrs. Jang was the one who popped her head out. Her lips curved upwards when she recognized me.  

"Hello, Nara," she opened the door wider so that me and Sungyeol could step in, "You brought a friend here," 

Sungyeol bowed and shook her head, "I'm Lee Sungyeol," 

"Ah, Lee Sungyeol," Mrs. Jang parroted, "Looking for Dongwoo?" 

"Yes, we're going to a friend's party, and I thought it would be great if Dongwoo could join us," I said. 

"I see," Mrs. Jang nodded, "Both of you can sit here, and I'll call Dongwoo," 

"Sure, thank you," 

Sungyeol and I sat down on the couch that used to be Sunggyu's. It still had that same 'Sunggyu' scent and aura - I couldn't be sure if I was just imagining things though. 

After a few minutes, Dongwoo emerged out of his room, already dressed nicely in his white shirt which was covered by a black suit. 

"I was just about to go for Myungsoo's too," he said, "I thought you forgot I moved here," 

I gave him a slight chuckle, even though it was a rather corny joke. After saying goodbye and thanks to Mrs. Jang, we headed off. Dongwoo planted a quick kiss on his mother's cheek and followed me and Sungyeol. 

"Your dad's at work?" I asked as we were going down in the elevator. 

"Yeah, he goes home late these days," Dongwoo said, "He's doing this huge project or something," 

We headed for Sungyeol's car after stepping out of the lift. I sat at the back seat while the two guys occupied the front ones. The ride was silent until sungyeol stopped the car due to the red light. 

"I was just wondering Dongwoo hyung, don't you need to pick Ailee up?" Sungyeol blurted out. 

I bit my lips out of nervousness and eyed the back-view of the two guys in front. Albeit it was kinda stupid for Sungyeol to ask such question, I was curious as well. 

"Oh, no, I don't have to pick her up. She'll be going with Sora I think," Dongwoo retorted just so naturally. 

"What happened to the both of you hyung?" Sungyeol pressed the pedal when the light turned green. 

Dongwoo shrugged, "I don't know, things just doesn't seem to be working out so well. The both of us agreed that all we need is time," 

"So are you guys officially breaking up?" I asked. 

The oldest chuckled and sighed, "I don't really get what does 'officially breaking up' means to you guys. But I don't think it's a big deal, I mean, in our term, breaking up means time, because that's what we really need,"  

"But hyung, doesn't it hurt?" 

"Not really," Dongwoo chortled once again, "It's weird, but it doesn't, well, not for me. Maybe it's because it's not like we're not going to see each other anymore, and afterall, if this is the best for us, why would it hurt?" 

"Wouldn't there be this hole after you're not together with Ailee?" I asked. 

"I don't know if this is a good thing or a sad one, but this hole has been here since the both of us started drifting apart and I think the both of us has already been used to it," 

Sungyeol parked his car in front of a huge eating place with this beautiful tropical decor. He unbuckled his seatbelt and said to Dongwoo, "I hope everything goes well hyung," 

Dongwoo gave a simple smile and we all left the car. I didn't know when did it start, but I was more than nervous. The waiter in front of the main door greeted us and Sungyeol told him that we were under Myungsoo's reservation. He guided us to the backyard of the elite dining place. It was beautiful. Myungsoo had the whole area reserved for his birthday. I silently thanked Sungyeol for choosing me an appropriate outfit. 

"There you go," The waiter bowed down and left us after we had found our friends. 

Myungsoo was there, talking with his family and I was contemplating if I should greet him then. Fortunately, he landed his eyes on me and smiled. He was wearing a white shirt (which was a rare scene since he had always used black) with his sleeves folded, and black pants. Of course, Kim Myungsoo would look freaking handsome in anything he's wearing. And oh, what made my heart beat accelerate even faster was his waxed up black hair, showing his clean forehead. 

"Do you have my gift now?" He joked. 

I laughed and handed him the gift, "Of course," 

He took it from me and smiled, "Thanks Nara," he said, "Should I introduce you to my parents?" 

Should he? I nodded, "If they don't mind," 

He pulled me to the table beside ours where his family and relatives were seated. I recognized his brother and gave him a nod of acknowledgement. Beside Monsoo was their parents.

"Mom, dad," Myungsoo called, "This is Nara," 
 
I bowed down to the couple who stood up as well. Mr. Kim gave me a wide grin, while his wife smiled elgantly. 

"Looks like our son have grown up well huh," Mr. Kim chuckled and patted on Myungsoo's shoulder. 

Myungsoo smiled sheepishly while his mom said, "Its nice meeting you, Nara," 

"It's nice meeting you too," I returned her smile. 

"Hyung talks about you a lot," Monsoo blurted out as he stood beside his dad. 

Myungsoo smacked his brother on his arm and I laughed, "Oh, you talk about me?" 

"I talk about everyone Nara, don't be flattered," 

I rolled my eyes while their parents gave a small laugh.

"Go enjoy the dinner hm?" Mrs. Kim said. 

I bowed once more time, "Thank you," 

Me and Myungsoo headed for the table next to where Mr and Mrs. Kim were sitting. I caught Myungsoo giving his brother a dead glare before following me behind. I thought it was quite funny. 

I sat between Minjae (apparently Myungsoo invited her as well) and Sungyeol. I swear, It felt right. Like those old times, and only Sunggyu was the one missing here.  

"Hey!" Minjae exclaimed when I sat down, "Wow, you finally wear that dress that Hana unnie bought for you,"

"Hana bought me this?" I asked. 

"Apparently this brat does not know that," Sungyeol commented and I stepped on his left foot under the table. 

"Ouch! What was that for?" He grunted. 

"How is it going here?" Raina came between me and Sungyeol. 

"Oh, just this kid trying to pick a fight with me," I pointed to Sungyeol and he eyed me annoyingly. 

Raina hit Sungyeol's head, "You just can't loose to girls can't you?" 

"Why is everyone hating me today?" He complained. 

We laughed and enjoyed our luscious dinner pleasantly. It consisted of meals that I wouldn't be able to eat even once in three months. There was Caesar salad as our appetizer, followed by roasted duck, salmon fillet and chicken cooked with lemon. As for the dessert, creme brûlée was served.It was rather weird actually, that me and Minjae weren't really awkward. We chatted for a bit after enjoying our desert, until I excused myself from the table to go to the washroom. I washed my hand and fixed my hair there before going out again. The tiny swimming pool a few meters beside the washroom caught my eye. I walked towards it, took of my wedges, which was killing my feet by the way, and sat on the edge of the pool, dipping my feet on the cold water.  

I looked up to the starless sky. Where did they all go? I sighed while dipping my palms as well in the water, forming small ripples on its surface. 

"You've been missing for quite a while, I wonder what were you doing," 

I turned my head and smiled, "Myungsoo," 

"Do you mind me joining you here?" He asked. 

I shook my head, "Come," 

He opened his shoes and pulled his socks out before rolling up his pants and joined me dipping his legs in the water. 

"Shouldn't you be hanging out with your friends and family there?" I asked. 

"I'm tired," he chuckled, "It's funny how we're celebrating my birthday and I barely get to eat," 

"You should eat then," I said. 

"Nah," Myungsoo shook his head, "I prefer being here with you," 

Woah... I didn't see that coming. Nor, did I see a confession coming next, that night.