Four

Perks of being alive

 

Chapter Four - Why?

 

 


 

I sighed as we continued walking along the pavement. Myungsoo had been busy with his camera, and all I could hear was the clicking sound of it. I would glance at him sometimes and there were moments where he would stare at the screen, observing the picture he had taken. I loved how his face looked so serious when it comes to taking pictures. My heart beat finally coped with the situation. It didn't get insane like how it usually would, probably because I was around Myungsoo quite frequently that day.

 

 

I stopped in front of the shop where I and Woohyun had bought the sleeping bags. I didn't intend to step in again, to meet that lunatic old woman. So I nudged Myungsoo's elbow and threw my gaze into the store.

 

 

“You go in,” I said.

 

 

He lifted his face from his camera, towards me, with a blank expression. Even with that kind of expression, he was still able to look handsome.

 

 

“Why don't you?”

 

“I did.”

 

 

He didn't talk back. Instead, he walked inside. I decided to just wait in front and played with my phone since I knew he would spend quite some time inside there, with the ahjumma's lecture. I leaned on the brick wall, but unexpectedly, Myungsoo went out, with a box of fan in his right hand, and a smile, in just five minutes. I frowned.

 

 

“Why are you smiling?” I spatted.

 

He shrugged his shoulders. “The ahjumma was really kind. She said I'm handsome,”

 

 

I raised one of my eyebrows and scoffed. Okay, I get it that Myungsoo was handsome. Of course, he was. But that lunatic old hag was too much! How could she lectured on me and Woohyun, but let Myungsoo skipped her lecture just because he had the face.

 

 

“Oh... really?”

 

 

He nodded, and got immersed back with his camera. I sighed and shook my head. But it didn't really matter though, having him beside me was more than enough. If you remember, I didn't ask him to accompany me, he voluntered. And that was enough.

 

 

“Shall we go back then?” I asked.

 

“I don't want to go back first. It's boring there,” I looked at him with a subtle smile, his right eye peering through the camera. This would be a good chance to hang out with him alone then. “I still want to roam around Jeju, see things that Seoul doesn't have,” he said as he clicked his camera and checked his 'capture' on the screen.

 

I nodded. “Then where do you want to go?”

 

He shrugged his shoulders. “No where particular. Just walk.”

 

“Just walk?” I echoed him and he nodded.

 

 

Hence, we did so. We just walked to no where particular. I entertained myself by observing the beautiful Jeju scenery. It was so peaceful and quiet. Unlike Seoul, it wasn't cramped with traffic lights, cars and people walking hastily. It was as if the clock ticked slower on the island as compared to the city. It was beautiful. The ringing of old bicycle bells were heard instead of the honkings and roaring engines of cars. The scent of fresh flowers and grass could be smelt as I inhaled the thin air. I inhaled deeper and exhaled it slowly. My shoes stepped on the damp pavement and oh, how I loved it. Maybe it was because I got bored walking above the glossy ceramics in mals and shops.

 

 

“Hey, Nara,”

 

 

I turned to my left side and click! I flustered a bit before widening my eyes.

 

 

“Did.. you just took a picture of me?” I asked, gaining back my senses.

 

“Yeah, see,” He showed me his camera screen, my close up was there, looking pale and blank. My face was always pale, and how I wished I could change it. Myungsoo shrugged his shoulders. “It didn't turn out bad,”

 

“Delete it,” I glared at him but he let out a playful smile on his thin lips. I could really kiss him at that moment, but luckily I'm someone who knows how to control myself.

 

“No. I need to get everyone's close up,”

 

 

I didn't know why, but my heart... It just sank when he said he needed to get everyone's close up. Probably becaue of the word 'everyone' you know... It made me feel less special. I thought he took it because he wanted to take a picture of me, but I was wrong. Why did I expect it anyway? I tried to brush off the bitter feeling and continued walking with him.

 

The sky got darker, and a few stars started to glim out in the midst of the dark blue sky. I looked up and smiled. Stunning. Maybe I could see stars in Seoul too, but never really gave my time to look up at the sky. However, then, that we were in Jeju, and that the clock seemed to be ticking slower, we surrendered a few moments of our lives to raise our heads up, and admire the evening sky. The blitz that came out from Myungsoo's camera made me turned to him, and he turned to me too.

 

 

“Beautiful isn't it?” He averted his gaze back up to the sky, and so did I.

 

“It is.” I said while nodding.

 

“Come here,” he called me and I walked a step closer to him. His fresh cologne scent made my heart loose it's control once more time. He held his camera, high up in the air with its lense facing us.

 

“Smileee....” He said and clicked it, the blitz capturing our moment immediately.

 

 

Both of us looked at the result and nodded. It wasn't bad.

 

 

“It's late already, everyone must be waiting for us,” he said and I nodded.

 

 

We went back to the resort and I just realized that we had gone quite far. Once we arrived back with the fan, everyone crowded at us, wanting the fan to be immediately switched on. I shook my head. Oh come on, it wasn't even that hot. Woohyun had taken off his shirt, leaving him in his white wife-beater which revealed his arm muscles. Sora must be so lucky.

 

 

“Where should we go for dinner?” Dongwoo asked.

 

“There's this local bistro inside the resort's complex if you guys don't mind,” Sora said.

 

 

We nodded and decided to just eat there. It was already dark anyways and we didn't want to go out somewhere far. So, we ate a simple barberque dinner there and went back. We arranged our sleeping bags, in the same arrangement like how we sat in the cafeteria everyday. I guess it was some sort of a natural order for us.

 

I took out some of my toilleteries and went out to take a bath on the toilet outside our villa. The girls went together that we decided to dip ourselves into the jacuzzi. Lucky for us that the washroom was fairly clean and spacious. We wrapped ourselves in the white cotton towel that was provided, and went into the rectangle jacuzzi, it's hot water penetrating into our skin. I sat at one side with Minjae. Sora and Ailee was in front of us and Raina on my right side. One thing that I really hate, was the view of my huge thighs. I know I was being cranky and stuff but I mean, Sora and Minjae had long skinny legs and Ailee's was perfect, while Raina had an athletic one, with fade muscles popping out. I blew out air, and tried not to ruin the relaxing moment by thinking about my legs. I guess I was just born this way.

 

The jacuzzi was half outdoor, so when we raised our heads up, we could see the sky. It still looked magnificent. I guess it won't stop being that way. I swirled the water with my hands.

 

 

“Where are we going tomorrow?” Minjae asked.

 

“Our plan is to wake up at about eight right Ailee?”

 

“Yeah, and uhm... we'll probably do a sight seeing of Jeju,” Ailee confirmed Sora's question.

 

“By walking?” Minjae asked again.

 

 

They nodded.

 

 

“Relax Minjae, it's not like you're going to break your leg or something,” Raina commented with a laugh.

 

 

We all knew Minjae hated walking, but the particular reason for it? No one knew. Well, I was guessing it was because of her laziness. Minjae was the type of girl who gets lazy when it comes to stuffs like traveling, packing her bags and walking, you know. She felt that it wasn't something important. So what was important for her you wonder? One thing she really dedicated her life to: Art. She loved art so much that she could spent hours painting a canvas, and yeah, she could paint a masterpiece. Now for art, she would overcome her laziness. I still don't get how could she just pay attention to a particular thing and brush aside the others. Including walking. I know, it's weird right? But I guess that's Minjae.

 

 

“Yah, Sora, don't you think you're letting Woohyun's leach too loose? He had been checking out girls lately,” Raina commented suddenly.

 

Sora shrugged her shoulders and flashed her pearly white teeths. “Who cares what that pabo does. He could even check on hot chicks on our date,”

 

 

We laughed. Typical Woohyun. It didn't matter, because at the end of the day, we all knew it was only Sora in his heart. Greasy, but sweet.

 

 

“How's Dongwoo?” I asked Ailee. Somehow this conversation went with us talking about the boys.

 

“He's okay.... I guess. Sometimes he can get really crazy and hyped, but that's okay,” Ailee answered with a smile.

 

“I envy how the both of you hold hands every time you know,” I spatted and we laughed.

 

“Yah, how about you and Hoya, Raina?” Minjae attacked.

 

Raina widened her eyes and looked startled.

 

 

“H-hoya?” she stammered.

 

“Oh come on, how long are you going to take this relationship with no status?” Ailee spatted and Sora nodded in agreement.

 

“We're not in a 'relationship with no status'! We're just friends,” She objected.

 

“Right. Friends,” I echoed her sarcastically and she glared at me.

 

“Oh well then, how about you and Myungsoo, Nara?” Raina attacked me.

 

“MYUNGSOO?!” The others exclaimed with unity. I opened my mouth, about to say something, but closed it again.

 

“So all of this time you're hitting on Myungsoo?!” Sora asked with a laugh.

 

“How did she... know?” Minjae asked me.

 

“Oh relax Minjae, I'm a genius at figuring out these kinds of stuffs you know,” Raina answered for me and wiggled her eyebrows.

 

“I'm going to kill you Raina,” I threathened her.

 

Raina opened her arms out wide and grinned. “Kill me,”

 

 

I rolled my eyes. Now, Raina's plus point could be her minus point too. Sometimes, she's too honest and seemed to not have any filter.

 

We chatted for a bit, relaxing ourselves, until we got tired and went out of the jacuzzi to wash our bodies. I was the one who had finished first, and I was extremely drained, so I decided to get back to our villa before the others did, after wearing my oversized hoodie and short pants. It was cold outside, but it didn't matter for me. It's rare to be experience this kind of weather in Seoul during summer.

 

I assumed that the boys was still bathing since it was really quiet. I was in the midst of raising my right hand up, wanting to drag the sliding door, but stopped my actions, when I realized something odd. The lights were on. They were shining out through the window. I was sure we didn't leave it that way when we went to take a bath before. I put down my right hand and leaned my ears to the door. Somehow, I didn't feel like coming in.

 

 

I heard a few ruffles inside the room. Who could it be?

 

 

Then, the next magical thing happened.

 

 

 

I feel that~”

 

 

My heart skipped a beat at that instant.

 

It was Sunggyu's voice.

 

I gasped and closed my mouth.

 

Even on the first line of the song, his voice sounded beautiful. I never knew he had this kind of voice. I didn't even know he loved music. He never talked about it with us.

 

He continued to sing several lines again. And I was too mesmerized by his enchanting voice, that without realizing, I was following the beat of his song.

 

 

Because I wanna listen, I wanna listen to your sound~”

 

 

 

His song ended and I just stood in front of the villa with awe. My ears still leaning against my door. He was singing accapella, but it didn't matter. His voice was perfect. Why had he not told us about this?
 

And then, the answer came.

 

It wasn't really an answer, but whatever his reason was, it must be pretty hard for him.

 

Because I heard him. I heard him sobbing quietly.

 

He was tearing up when there was no one, alone.

 

One thing I had always thought: Kim Sunggyu never cries.

 

 


 

 

Hey You all!!

How are you guys doing?? I miss you TT

I've been super busy lately since all the tests and extra classes have been going on for this week :( So, I'm really sorry to keep you guys waiting

I'll update tomorrow most probably! ^^

Do comment!!

And anyone her from Philippines?? I hope you all stay safe!! I know it had been a disaster there, and my school has been having charity programs to help you guys. It'll be over soon! And it's raining heavily these days here *sighs* Stay safe!! 

Thanks for all off you who have read this far!! :D I LOVE YOU!!! <3