Two

Perks of being alive


Chapter Two - The Fuss

 

I groaned and banged on the beige apartment door in front of me, with the number 428 carved in the golden metal platter, stuck on the door, a little bit above my head, and stomped my feet.

 

“YAH! KIM SUNGGYU! OPEN THE FREAKING DOOR!!” I shouted.

 

There was not a single commotion and I grunted for the nth time.

 

“FINE!!” I groaned again before leaving.

 

Just then, the door opened and I stopped my steps, but not turning back.

 

“Nara, what's with all the fuss?” He asked with a hoarse voice.

 

I turned around to find him in a half-awake state, only his head popping out of the door. I couldn't even consider that his eyes were actually open. His hair was unkempt, and his fade white shirt with folds on it, showed that he had just woke up. I suddenly felt a bit guilty then.

 

I walked towards him and put the sweetest smile on my face. He sighed and glared at me.

 

“No.”

“Hey, I didn't even say anything and no?”

“You don't need to. So, go back now, because I want to continue my sleep,” he said and went inside but I pulled his wrist.

“What?” He glared back.

 

Honestly, I was freaking out in the inside. He might be this cute hamster when he eats, but once he's in a bad mood, believe me, he wasn't anything close to cute. He was quite scary actually.

 

“Yah! I wanted to ask you if you want to come over to Sungyeol and Myungsoo's tonight. They're watching 'The Claw',” I said.

 

He widened his eyes. Now, I was sure that he was fully awake.

 

“Why are you even asking me this? I'm so not coming!” He answered and freed his wrist.

“Sunggyu! Come on! It will be fun, the others are joining too! It's at 6, come okay?” I urged him.

 

He sighed.

 

“What do I get?”

“A blackforest cake,”

 

He raised his eyebrows. Okay, I'll admit it. I rarely treat my friends but hey, it's not that I NEVER treat them.

 

“Really?” he asked doubtfully and I nodded with a grin.

“Fine. I'm joining.” he said simply and banged the door right in front of my face.

 

Oh, he would be dead in a few moment. What kind of friend does that?

I then went back to my room for a quick nap.

 

At about 5:45, Sunggyu was already knocking at my door impatiently. I hadn't even change. Feeling sick on hearing the repititive knock, I opened the door and let him in.

 

“I'm changing first-”

“You haven't?!”

“While I change, you go take your first year maths workbook. I have a homework,” I ignored his question and went inside my room before locking the door.

 

I could hear him grunt and I laughed silently. I guess he went back to his apartment to take my request since I couldn't hear the clingings of glasses, or the sound of my refrigerator being opened. That was what he would always do whenever he came to my apartment. Food. It was like he hadn't eaten for 3 days everytime he visited my apartment.

I went out after five minutes with a blue t-shirt and short pants. Sunggyu wasn't around, probably still searching for his maths workbook. I took my phone, not forgetting the blackforest cake and drinks, as I decided to just meet him in his apartment. True enough, he handed me the book immediately when I was at the doorstep of his apartment.

 

“Come on, let's go,”

 

We went down to the parking lot and hopped on Sunggyu's car. Him on the driver's seat, me beside him. He drove off after buckling the seatbelt. Our ride to Sungyeol's apartment wasn't chatty. A little quieter than usual, in fact.

 

“I hope you don't forget to bring my blackforest,” he said, keeping his eyes on the road.

 

I scoffed and threw my gaze to the back seat where I had placed the treat. Sunggyu looked at it through the rear mirror and smiled with content while nodding his head. I always loved to see his thin lips form that smile. It made me giggle slightly.

We arrived about 5 minutes later and immediately joined Minjae, the DongLee couple and Woohyun who were already there. I immediately drop myself on the couch after putting the cake and drinks above the dining table.

 

“Ooh! What did you buy for me Nara?” Sungyeol asked with his eyes twinkling.

“Oh, that's nothing, it's just a treat from me,” I said and laughed.

“Should I declare to everyone that I was the one who bought that?” Woohyun said loudly, gaining our laugh.

“Where's Sora?” I asked him.

“She has school stuffs to do,”

“Ah.. too bad Woo, you don't have anyone to cuddle with,” Minjae and stuck her tongue out.

“Oh Jung Minjae, do you have one?”

“She can cuddle with me,” I joined teasing Woohyun, who responded by grunting.

“Mmh! Nara! This is delicious! Purely delicious!”

 

I turned around to the dining table, only to find Sunggyu already munching the cake. I shrieked and rushed towards him.

 

“Yah! Who told you you can eat that?!” I scolded him.

 

He looked at me with his innocent face and I pinched his cheeks. How could he be so annoying yet so cute? He slapped my hands.

 

“It hurts!!” He shouted, still chewing.

“That cake is for everyone-”

“But I thought you said it's only for me-”

“Gyu hyung! You should save it for the movie later,” Sungyeol interfered.

 

And then, there we go again. A fuss. The usually one causing it would either be me, Sungyeol or Woohyun and the victim would either be Sunggyu or Sungjong. Then, Hoya, Raina and Ailee would heat up everything by giving uneccessary comments. Minjae would just blindly support me, and Dongwoo would either keep calm or be one of the victim. While both Sora and Myungsoo would keep quiet and enjoy the show. Speaking of which... I didn't see Myungsoo around.

 

“Yeol, where's Myungsoo?” I asked.

“I sent him off to buy us dinner,” Sungyeol said while keeping the quarter-eaten cake in the fridge to make sure that Sunggyu would not take the slightest bit of it anymore.

“Wait... IS THAT AN AMERICANO THAT I'M LOOKING AT?” Sungyeol suddenly widened his eyes when he saw the white cartoon take-away cup that I placed beside the greentea latte and cheesecake.

 

He sniffed it before lifting it up. I immediately snatched it away from him.

 

“Yah! Sungyeol hyung! You haven't even started the movie?” Sungjong who just came in whined.

“Everyone's not here yet,” Sungyeol replied, half ignoring him since his eyes were still pinned to the americano I was holding.

“I promise I'll give it to you later Yeol,” I said and he narrowed his eyes.

“I said I promise.” I assured him.

 

He finally got rid of it and I placed back the cup on the dining table. Myungsoo came a little later with 12 boxes of chicken. Each of us took one and sat comfortably in front of the television, while Sungjong inserted the disc into the DVD player. I immediately took the couch and Sungyeol squeezed himself between me and Minjae. Dongwoo and Ailee sat in front of us, on the floor, Dongwoo's arm around Ailee's shoulder. Myungsoo sat right in front of me and my heart was pounding like crazy. Sunggyu went into Sungyeol's room, sleeping again probably. While Sungjong and Woohyun had their butts on the floor beside the couch.

 

“Are we gonna wait for Raina and Hoya?” Sungjong asked, making sure if he should press the play button.

“We can start the movie first. They'll be late anyways,” Sungyeol said.

“Both of them... really..” Woohyun smirked and wiggled his eyebrows.

 

Of course, everyone knew in what relationship Hoya and Raina was. No, actually no one knew. But, we were very sure that they liked each other and it made us wonder all the time why they didn't start dating. Sure, both of their pride were as high as mount Everest but, hey, they would be a sweet couple too. I could guarantee.

I opened my box of chicken and started eating once the movie begun, so did the others. Frankly speaking, the beginning was boring that I almost fell asleep until the door suddenly opened. Sungjong paused the movie and switched on the lights. Sungyeol stood up and opened the door, with Hoya and Raina standing in front.

 

“You guys... are so ruining the mood,”

 

Hoya and Raina laughed and went inside, before taking the box of chicken that Myungsoo bought above the dining table.

 

“Yah! Nara, you sit on the floor, I want to take the couch!” Raina shoved me and I widened my eyes. I was aware that this was one of her tricks to make me sit next to Myungsoo but no, I wouldn't fall for it.

“What are you saying? I was here from the beginning!” I scoffed and she rolled her eyes, before pushing me forward that I fell down and hit Myungsoo slightly.

“Ah... I'm sorry,” I apologized to Myungsoo and he just nodded.

 

I glared at Raina who was now sitting on my previous teritorry, and she just put that annoying smirk on her face without making any eye contact with me. Hoya sat next to her, making the couch occupied by four people, squezzing each other.

The movie continued after Sungjong switched off the lights. I wasn't really paying attention to the movie, not because I didn't want to, but because I couldn't. How was I suppose to watch with full attention when there was my crush, sitting next to me, with his black wife-beater, showing his muscular arms? I blew out air, trying to calm myself down without being obvious, but Myungsoo took a glance at me.

 

“Are you sick?” he whispered softly, so that the others won't be disturbed.

 

The warm air that escaped from his mouth, near my ear, made me shivered slightly. I smiled and shook my head, but Myungsoo looked at me with his concerned look.

 

“You seem restless,” he mumbled.

“I- I'm sorry. I just uh... don't go well with horror movies,” I lied and he just nodded, his eyes already pinned to the screen.

 

The movie ended and I breathe out a sigh of relieve. Finally. I wasn't sure how long I would be able to survive sitting next to Myungsoo. Well, okay, it wasn't so bad, and in fact, it was really great, but on the other hand, my was slamming against my ribs, as if it wanted to charge out of my chest. We all stood up and yawned. It was midnight. I went to Sungyeol's room and woke Sunggyu up, who was fortunately a light sleeper. We bid good bye to the others and left before they did since I could literally doze off right at the moment.

 

After me and Sunggyu arrived at the apartment, we parted and I dropped myself on my comfortable bed, asleep in only a second.


 

I woke up the next day, as usual, because of my buzzing alarm sound. After taking a bath and getting ready, I went off to school with Sunggyu. He took me to my class before going to his, it was a usual thing.

I sat on my place, with Minjae already sitting behind me. She took out her biology book and grunted. I turned around and widened my eyes.

 

“Are you studying?” I questioned although it was obvious.

“No Nara. I'm just putting a biology book on my table and opening it,” She answered me sarcastically and rolled her eyes.

“We have a test today?” I asked.

“Duh... Weren't you listening?”

 

I chuckled dryly and shook my head.

 

“Don't lie to me-”

“Yah! Have you guys studied for today?”

 

Me and Minjae raised our heads and found Sungyeol taking out his biology book too from his bag. Crap. I forgot about the freaking test. Minjae glared at me, with her annoying smile still plastered on her face.

 

“Why did you invite me to go to your house yesterday?” I complained and hit Sungyeol.

“Ouch!! If I didn't invite you, you'll go mad and now that I had invited you, you're mad too. What do you want?” He groaned.

 

Our first period went well, so did the second and third. Until, it was the biology test. It was like... hell. I even thought about not answering the paper at all, when I suddenly got a brilliant idea. Well, not really. I kicked Sungyeol's chair from below. He flinched.

I looked at Mrs. Han.

Clear.

 

“Raise your paper,” I whispered softly, and he did so.

 

Oh, I have to tell you one thing too. Sungyeol was a natural at doing this stuffs. Mrs. Han glanced at us, but he could still naturally lift his paper up for me, without getting scolded. I should really learn this from him. Mrs. Han went back in doing whatever she was doing and I continued in my "mission".

Success.

 

“Okay, time's up. Pass your paper forward, and you can leave,”

 

The three of us left, and headed to the canteen. Like everyday, we joined the others who were already there too. Sitting in our usual seating arangement.

 

“Was biology hard?” Woohyun asked.

“Nope,” I answered and I could feel Sungyeol's glare, but ignored it.

“Ehm... By the way guys, school's break coming. What are you guys planning?” Dongwoo suddenly asked, out of the topic.

“School break's still long hyung,” Myungsoo groaned.

“Yeah...” I responded too, but Myungsoo didn't seem to notice me.

“Exactly. That's why I have a plan-”

“Oh, come on Dongwoo, they're not gonna like it,” Ailee cut him with a laugh.

“What is it?” Sungjong asked, interested, as he leaned his body forward so he could see Dongwoo talking.

“Jeju island!” Dongwoo announced cheerfully.

“Oh.. that's not going to work,”

“No, not Jeju!”

“I've gone there last year,”

“But hey, it's gonna be fun,”

“I have seasick,”

“But-”

 

Immediate responses were heard and I just kept quiet. Not wanting to contribute to the noise we were making. I glanced at Myungsoo. He looked at me and shook his head. I shrugged my shoulders. I guess the shaking of his head and the shrugging of my shoulders became a usual thing for me and Myungsoo to react whenever the group went chaotic. Well, yeah, I could be very noisy at times, but unlike them, I knew how to maintain my image in public areas, like say, the canteen.

 

“GUYS!!” Sora silenced the noisy chattering and we all looked at her. She smiled sweetly. “Thank you,”

 

There would be times too, where Sora would be the mediator. Partly because she hated noise, and because everyone knew she isn't the right person to mess up with. Well, yes, she could be this sweet, quiet girl but if someone had crossed the line... it wouldn't be pretty.

 

“Honestly speaking, Jeju would be fun,” I said after a few moment of silence.

“But... We don't even have internet connection there,” Raina objected.

“It's Jeju, Raina, not Mars,” Myungsoo attacked her and she glared at him. I smiled. Kim Myungsoo just defended me!

“Okay, let's just solve this. Those in favor of Jeju, raise up their hand,” Ailee cleared up the situation, before raising her hand.

 

I raised mines, followed by Myungsoo and Dongwoo. Minjae raised hers too, obviously, since she was always on my side. Sunggyu sighed and raised his palms up in the air, Sungjong too. Woohyun looked hesitant, but when Sora raised her hand, he did the same thing.

 

“Well, since everyone's raising, I'm following the majority,” Sungyeol said and raised his with a grin.

 

Now it was only Hoya and Sora. Of course, we all knew that Hoya wanted to raise his hand so badly but, since Raina was clearly against the idea, he was thinking of it over again. And to everyone's surprise, he boldly raised his. We all laughed quietly at Raina's immediate, but subtle reaction. She grunted.

 

“Fine.” She raised her hand too and we clapped aimlessly.

“Okay then! It is decided!” Sungyeol showed his gummy smile.

“Next destination, JEJU ISLAND!!”

 


 

I'm able to update right now since I have a public holiday today *YAYY!!*

Anyways, thankyou so so so so so much for all my lovely readers, subscribers and those who's been commenting! ^^ It really means a lot to me! So, yeah, thank you soooo much for your support!

How was the second chapter? I hope to hear more about your opinion! :)

See you all soon!! LOVE YOU!!