One

Perks of being alive

 

 

 Chapter One - Introduction 

 

 



 

I scanned the cafeteria with a tray, full of food, above my hands. I smiled when I finally suceed in locating where my group of friends were- and when I said group of friends, it meant a huge group of friends, with exactly the 12 of us. Of course, I wasn't that close with each and every individual but sure, I was pretty comfortable with the whole group. 

 

I saw Minjae beckoning her hand at me and I grinned before walking towards the long table at the corner. I squeezed myself beside Minjae and Sungyeol. That was always the order. On my left side would be Minjae, and Sungyeol on my right. Sora and her boyfriend, Woohyun would be beside Minjae. Then, there's this really handsome guy with strict features, Myungsoo, that I had fallen for, beside Sungyeol. We'll talk more about that later, no worries. In front of Minjae, was the eldest among us, Sunggyu. His right side would be Dongwoo and his girlfriend, Ailee. While on his left side, in front of me, was this girl, Raina, who wasn't really.... a girl. Well, she had cut her hair short and preferred getting sweaty rather than shopping so, I guess it's safe to assume that she was a tomboy. The only thing that helped us to ensure ourselves that she was a lady, was her school uniform. Anyways, next to Raina, was this talented dancer, Hoya, sitting with the pretty boy, second maknae of the group, Sungjong (I'm the maknae really, and that ).

 

“Why so long?” Sunggyu asked me, while chewing his meatballs.

“I-”

“She didn't do her homework and Mrs. Yoon told her to stayback,” Sungyeol answered kindly for me and I glared daggers at him.

 

Okay, here's the thing about Sungyeol. I had had a crush on him two years ago during secondary and yes, he knew it. But no, we got over it and actually became bestfriends since then. If I were asked to pick whom I was the closest to among the entire group, it would be Minjae, Sungyeol and Sunggyu. Minjae and Sungyeol since they were in the same class with me, sitting one row, ourselves behind each other, with Sungyeol in the front, followed by me and Minjae. I put Sunggyu in the list too because well... although he's a third-year student, he was able to mingle well with us, the first-year and second-year students. Plus, the fact that he lived in the same apartment as me, on the same floor, gave me an advantage to knock at his door whenever I needed to help from him for my homework. Take note, by help I mean copying his old books that he had filled when he was in the first-year.

 

“Serves you right,” Sunggyu said under his breath and I looked up at him.

“What did you just say?”

“Nothing,” he shrugged and continued to eat.

 

Minjae tapped my tray and I directed my gaze to her.

 

“Don't bicker too much. You better eat now. The bell's going to ring,” She said.

 

I rolled my eyes but dug in my soup anyways.

 

“Yah, Nara,” Woohyun suddenly called me.

“Mm?” I responded without pulling of my eyes from the food I was eating.

“I need help,” he said and I looked at him with a sarcastic smile plastered on my face immediately.

“No.”

 

He whined and pouted.

 

“Aaahh... Nara! Please... I really need it this time... come on!!”

“No.” I directed my eyes back on the food and concentrated back on filling my hungry stomach.

“You're so pretty Nara, just like an angel... you know. You always says that you're ugly and fat but you know what? You're not. You're the exact definition of perfe-”

“Then what does that makes Sora?”

 

And silence. That was the spell that I had always put on Woohyun whenever he starts to woo me for my homework, which by the way, I just did in the class (the reason why I came late to the canteen) with Mrs. Yoon beside me, lecturing me about the self discipline and some other unimportant stuffs.

 

Sora just laughed at her boyfriend. That's one of the reasons why I liked her. Well, yeah... I wasn't that close with her like I was with Minjae or the other two guys, but I was really glad that she's in our group. I mean, she's a simple girl. She's not the 'model type' pretty, but she's beautiful. You know what they say about inner beauty? Yes, she totally had that inner beauty hidden behind her small, skinny figure. Sora was this quiet, innocent, girl. She spoke when there was a need for her to say a word but unless that's the case, she would just smile or laugh, going with the flow of the group. The best thing about her was the way she thinks. It was straight forward. Sometimes, there are certain people who wanted to make themselves look smart, and when you ask them simple questions, they would start answering you with rocket science theory. But that's not the case with Sora. She was simple and straight forward, which always succeed to make her look really dilligent in front of people. Not to mention that she was one of the top scorers in class. It was actually hard to believe that the playboy Nam Woohyun actually fell for her. But that's the fact and they were dating. Oh, one more thing that I liked in her: she never boasted that she was Woohyun's and Woohyun was hers, unlike the other chicks that Woohyun had dated before who kept on telling the world that they and Woohyun were in a relationship. Sora kept their relationship calm and steady and maybe that was one of the reason that they had lasted for almost a year then.

 

“Well, of course, she's better than you, but that's just slightly you know. But you're still really pretty Nara, no matter what-”

“What's the deal?” I cut Woohyun off and he immediately grinned, showing a range of his pearly white teeth.

“Okay, you give me Mrs. Yoon's homework and I'll buy you... ah! Greentea latte at the cafe,”

 

I scoffed and rolled my eyes.

 

“No way. I didn't copy Sunggyu's. I made it by myself and sacrificed ten minutes of my lunch time on doing it. Greentea latte isn't enough,” I demanded more.

“Okay then... I'll get you anything you want from the cafe,”

 

I tilted my head, pretending to weigh what he just offered me and shrugged my shoulders.

 

“Seems legit. I'll wait for you down at the cafe after school today and I am so gonna kill you if you don't appear in front of my face later,” I threatened him, to which he immediately jolted and rushed to my classroom to take my biology notebook.

 

I shook my head and finished my lunch. The other's were done with theirs too and were actually talking about something that I wasn't really paying attention to. Instead of their conversation, I was paying more attention to Myungsoo. I needed my eye to go over Sungyeol's back in order to see the handsome first-year student (too bad he wasn't placed in the same class as me), who was, as usual, busy in his own world. His gaze was blank, but I knew there was something going on in his mind. He was extremely quiet. He opened his mouth only when he needed to, he never actually spoke when the group was chatting together. Now that I thought about it, he was like the male version of Sora and... maybe that's why I liked him. You know, he was this guy that could be inside the group and we actually could notice his presence when he was with us although a word barely left his mouth. He just had this aura around him, that when he wasn't there with us, we could immediately sense something missing. Funny isn't it?

 

Sungyeol snapped his fingers in front of me before hitting my forehead. I grunted and looked at him.

 

“What? Can't you stop disturbing me?”

“Yah! You were like staring at nothing for the whole time,” he reasoned and I rolled my eyes.

“By the way Nara, the girls are planning to shop for summer, are you joining us?” Minjae asked me. By the term 'girls' I knew Raina wasn't included and of course, she was totally cool with that.

 

I shook my head and smiled bitterly.

 

“Woohyun owes me a treat today, you guys can go without me. And oh, Raina, care to join me?”

 

Raina grinned, still chewing her immortal gum.

 

“Of course, coffee would be great. But I'll dismiss at three today,”

“Cool, I'll wait for you in front of my class,” I said and she nodded.

 

Lunch time was over not long after that, and we made our way back to our classes. Me, Minjae and Sungyeol together, as usual. Ailee and Dongwoo went back, still locking their fingers with each other. Sometimes I wished my relationship would be like them. They were such a sweet couple and the fact that they were sitting together in one class since their first year here (which was a year ago), just made it better. Sunggyu went back to his class, alone. Myungsoo with Sungjong and Woohyun, making their way to the class next to mines. Raina, Sora (yes, Sora is older than Woohyun) and Hoya went upstairs where the second-year classes were located. Their class was exactly across Dongwoo and Ailee's.

 

The last three lessons after lunch time, went extremely slow that I almost dozed off if Minjae didn't kick my chair. I kept myself busy by thinking what to order later in the cafe downstairs. Of course, the greentea latte is a must. Then, my mind drifted off to Myungsoo. Sometimes he seemed as if he was this kid next door but at the same time, like I told you guys before, he had this thing inside him. It was as if he was hiding something. So, first of all, let me make this clear. Yes. I had a major crush on the handsome Kim freaking Myungsoo. I had kept it a secret from everyone until Sungyeol decided to interfere in this matter and of course, if Sungyeol knew about this, Minjae should too since she was the first in my 'who should know my secret' list. But lucky for me that they knew how to keep their mouths shut from the others. Sunggyu didn't even know about this.

 

The bell shrilled, waking me up away from cloud nine. I kept my books inside my bag after Mr. Jung went out of the class. Minjae left for her summer shopping with Ailee and Sora after bidding me a quick good bye, while Sungyeol was still packing his bag in front of me.

 

“Hey, me and Myungsoo are watching 'The Claws' tonight, are you joining?” he turned back and asked with his gummy smile.

“I bet Sungjong's joining too,” I said while zipping my bag.

 

Sungyeol rolled his eyes.

 

“Duh, but anyways, the more the people, the better,”

“Oh! Great, you can ask Minjae. If she's coming, I'm coming too, unless you want me to be in a super awkward state,”

“Of course, the both of you are inseperable-”

“She just left for summer shopping,”

“Yea, you get what I mean. Anyways, I'll call you later,” he said with a grin before leaving the classroom.

 

I went out not long after Sungyeol did, and headed to the teacher's room to submit my classwork before going up to Raina's class. I looked at my watch. 2:37. Still a plenty of time before the second year students were dismissed. I strolled around the building, passing Myungsoo's class as frequent as possible but no, he wasn't there. I decided to go up again when it was only five minutes left before Raina finished her classes and then, such a cliche. At the landing of the staircase, Myungsoo was there, leaning his body forward towards the opened window, gazing outside. On his right hand, was an SLR camera. I knew he loved to take pictures. I made sure not to make the slightest sound, because from what I had observed, he was sensitive to his surroundings, although that wouldn't apply when he was asleep. I took my time to admire his side potrait from the steps below, making sure he didn't note my presence. The more I stared at his tall figure, the more dazed I got. He was able to ooze this magnetic charm that one would find hard to resist.

 

Just then the bell rung and I, fully surprised, loose my balance and fell a step forward. Alarmed, Myungsoo turned abruptly. I cringed my eyes. Damn it. Why was I so clumsy? Did I really have to fall then? I kept my face down and stood up slowly. I could sense Myungsoo's presence near me from the heat his body was radiating, and I finally had the guts to look up. True enough, he was standing in front of me, his both hands hanging on the air, beside my right and left side, as if it was ready to catch me in case my body decided to fall again.

 

“Are you okay?” he asked.

“Uhm.. y-yeah, I just tripped over, not a big deal. But of course, yeah, I-I'm okay, it's just...”

 

I stopped talking when Myungsoo nodded and shoved his hands inside his pocket. I sighed. The thing I hated in me was that I always stammer whenever I talked to Myungsoo. My heart beat just got insane whenever he was on my sight. Lucky for me that my cheeks couldn't turn red.

 

“Alright then. Be careful.”

 

I nodded with a simple smile and he went down the stairs. I hit my head with my own hand while going upstairs, encountering a few group of second-year students that had just finished their lessons. I waited in front of Raina's class: Class 2-2, and sometimes peeking through the glass window above the door. She was there, chatting to some of her classmates while cramming her books inside her bag. Dongwoo and Ailee passed by me (their damn fingers still interlocking with each other!) and I smiled to them.

 

“Raina?” Dongwoo asked with his angelic smile and I nodded.

“She'll get out in a while. Mrs. Han always dismiss classes late,” Ailee said.

“I'm so looking forward to second year,” I said sarcastically and we laughed.

“Do you want us to accompany you?” Dongwoo offered and I shook my head.

“Don't worry. Both of you go somewhere and date,” I said, gesturing my hands as if I wanted them to leave.

“Okay then. See you soon Nara!” Ailee said as they left.

 

It was after five minutes that Raina finally got out of her class and tapped my shoulder.

 

“Come on, Woohyun must be waiting for us!” She said excitedly and pulled me down the stairs.

“Oh, he better be,” I muttered.

 

Smart Woohyun. He was already standing in front of the cafe door, once me and Raina reached there. He sighed and glared at me.

 

“Who said you're able to bring a friend?”

“Oh. Come on Woo, it's just me, and Nara needs a company anyway,” Raina shoved him and she went inside the cafe.

 

Here's one thing I adore from Raina. She didn't care. She didn't care what other thinks about her and believe me, it was absolutely tough for me to act like her. Yes, I tried it once. I simply wasn't able to not pay attention to what the society thinks about me.

 

Woohyun trailed us from behind as me and Raina lined up for our orders.

 

“One greentea latte-”

“Actually make it three,” Raina cut me and I nodded with a laugh.

“Three greentea latte, one whole blackforest cake, oh! An americano, one cappuchino and a blueberry cheesecake,” I ordered.

 

The cashier typed in our orders hastily.

 

“Is there anything else?” she asked, keeping a smile, knowing a huge order was about to come. I could hear Woohyun's grunt behind us and laughed silently.

“Uhm.. Raina, what else do you want?”

“OH JINJA? I'm so not paying for all of that!” Woohyun groaned.

“Don't mind the guy. I want a hot chocolate, waffle and a... tiramissu would be great,” she answered.

“Woohyun what do you want?” I teased and he smiled sarcastically.

“No thank you Nara. I think we've bought more than enough,” he said as he gave his credit card to the cashier and signed the reciept with a sour face.

 

We sat at the table for four beside the window and our large order came not long after that. Woohyun glared at us and I glared back at him.

 

“Please Woohyun. Stop glaring like it's my fault,” I said, while Raina was already starting with her hot chocolate.

 

I decided to keep the americano and a greentea latte for Sungyeol and Minjae later, with the blackforest cake for our horror movie night. Maybe, I'll give Myungsoo the cappuchino or the blueberry cheesecake. I'd think about that later on.

 

“Fine. Now, I gotta go and meet up with Sora. You both don't waste any of this got it?” He said as he stood up.

 

I nodded with Raina, not looking at him, and he left.

 

“So... Nara. What's up with you and Myungsoo?” Raina suddenly asked and honestly, I was completely taken aback. Well, no, not with the fact that she dared to ask me this question, but with the fact that she knew there's something going on.

 

I chuckled awkwardly and slurped my latte.

 

“N-no, there's nothing going on. What makes you think that way?” I stammered.

 

Raina laughed and chewed her tiramissu cake.

 

“Number one,” She gulped her cake, “I'm not stupid. Secondly, you look at him constantly during lunch. How could no one realize that? Lastly, you just stammered.”

 

Another thing from Raina that I could adore. Smartness. She wasn't the top scorers in her class like Sora, in fact, she was one of the weakest students. But it was probably because she didn't care and she was just lazy. One could immediately tell that she was a smart girl after talking to her for ten minutes.

 

I sighed and sat back.

 

“Is it that... obvious?” I asked unsurely and she shrugged her shoulders in response.

“Let me tell you, Nara.” She raised her right leg onto the chair and placed her hand on my shoulder.

 

I looked at her, waiting for her next statement.

 

“I know you've completely fell for him since you were over with Sungyeol-”

“How did you-”

“I told you. I observe everything going on inside our group,” She smirked, “It had been a year and what? Nothing happened? Really Nara? Such a waste of time!”

“What? Are you going to be my relationship counsellor right now?” I stuck my tongue at her.

 

She chuckled and shook her head, giving me one of those 'cool' gaze that was usually done by street gangsters in movies, you know, and I liked how she did that. I would really like to learn that from her some other time.

 

“No. But I'm telling you. You've been waiting. Maybe, it's time to make a move-”

“Yeah, but you know, I'm not as bold as you, and I can't act as if I don't care, like what you always do, when the fact is that I do really care,” I told her. This conversation was somewhat quite personal to me.

 

I sighed and shook my head.

 

“I mean, it's Kim Myungsoo. Everyone has a crush on him-”

“I don't,” Raina's word made me feel just slightly better.

“Well, everyone except you. And here I am, this fat, nerd, hoping to gain his attention,” I said.

“Oh, come on Nara, you're not fat. And your smartness is what everyone craves. Wearing glasses doesn't mean you are a nerd. And you got a plus point here. We sit together at lunch with him everyday,”

 

She smiled. She had a pretty smile.

 

I frowned. I obviously didn't have a pretty frown.

 

Okay, first of all, sorry, but I'll ruin the 'pretty, skinny, innocent girl who thinks she's fat' image from your head because I'm not anything near to that. Well, yea, I'm not that potty, but compared to most girls in the school, I'm the fleshy type, not the bony one, which made me look slightly bigger than them.

 

I shrugged my shoulders and looked at her.

 

“Song Nara.” She addressed me. “When are you going to stop wasting your time?”


 

 

Author's note:

How was the first chapter? ><

Hope you liked it kekeke

Please don't hesitate to comment!! ^^ (or even subscribe!)

Thank you all! See you! :D

*I know I'm putting DongLee everywhere, but that's because I love the both of them!! <3*