Chapter 7 - Knowing Each Other

Ignorant Brat

Hyoyeon joined the track and field team. She was partnered up with her sunbae, Bora and they got along well with one another. They were doing some light stretches when Sunny looked for Bora at the field. Hyoyeon was surprised to find Sunny.

“Bora~!”

“Yes Sunny Bunny?”

“Oh?”

Sunny just realized Hyoyeon was there too.

“Sunny, this is my hoobae, Hyoyeon.”

“I know. We met before.”

“Huh?”

“We went to watch movie together with her friends. Soo Young’s lover was there too.”

“Ah, that girl she terrorized at the cafeteria?”

Hyoyeon quipped in.

“Are you referring to Yuri?”

“Yeah, our friend likes her.”

“AH~~~~~~~~~~~~”

Hyoyeon was grinning away; Sunny could literally see her evil thoughts floating above her head.

“You’re going to to no end, aren’t you?”

Hyoyeon stuck her tongue out.  Sunny was greatly attracted to Hyoyeon’s playfulness. She likes girls who are less awkward and easy going. Hyoyeon seemed to have that in her. Sunny sat at the bench while watching the girls training on the field.

Hyoyeon created a lot of laughter within her team because of her goofiness. Sunny was smiling and laughing when Bora chased Hyoyeon around the track because she accidentally threw her shoe into a puddle of mud.

“COME BACK HERE!”

“I’M SORRY, SUNBAE!”

Sunny just couldn’t stop laughing. Hyoyeon was just too hilarious.

*

Yoona was in her room; preparing for her morning classes when Jessica woke up. The older girl greeted her with a smile; Yoona’s heart was pumping fast.

“Morning Yoona.”

“Morning Jessica.”

“We have a morning lecture today?”

“Yeah, it starts at 10am.”

“Ah, I better get ready too.”

“Oh? You’re going?”

“Yeah, I have to buck up.”

Yoona smiled widely. She nodded her head.

“You should. If you need help, you can find me.”

“You’re so sweet.”

Jessica flashed her smile and Yoona blushed immediately. Jessica made her turned redder when she gently pulled Yoona’s nose.

“I’ll see you later.”

The girl disappeared into the bathroom and Yoona stood there like a fool.  Her heart has slowly fallen for her roommate, Jessica Jung.

*

“What’s with that creepy smile, Kim Hyoyeon?”

Hyoyeon has been smiling at Yuri for the last two hours. They met for breakfast with Seohyun and Hyoyeon was smiling like an idiot at Yuri making the girl uncomfortable.

“I just feel like smiling. Is that wrong?”

“No, it’s not wrong but it’s creepy.”

“People say I have a nice smile.”

“You’re not smiling; you’re just grinning like a ert.”

Yuri gave up when Hyoyeon winked at her. She was horrified and walked ahead of the girls. Seohyun was confused so she had to ask.

“Why are you behaving like a maniac?”

“What?”

“Why are you smiling at people like that?”

“I know something.”

“What do you know?”

“Remember that girl Yuri bumped into at the cafeteria?”

“That Soo Young girl?”

“Yeah! She likes our Yuri!”

“Ah, I know.”

Hyoyeon was deadpan. How can Seohyun react like this was not exciting enough?

“You know?”

“Yes, it’s obvious Soo Young likes Yuri.”

“You can see?!”

“Yes, you can actually see if you observe.”

“What are you? A psychologist or something?”

Seohyun laughed leaving Hyoyeon bewildered.

“Ya~!”

“Sometimes you’re just so oblivious. I think Yuri knows that girl likes her.”

“You’re kidding me? So I cannot use this secret to bribe her?!”

“Why would you want to do that in the first place?”

“I thought I could blackmail her!”

Seohyun rolled her eyes.

“You’re really hopeless, sometimes. It’s not even a hidden secret anymore. It’s an open secret.”

“YA!”

Hyoyeon ran after Seohyun.

*

Taeyeon was waiting for Jessica at the entrance of the hall. She hasn’t informed her friends about her new girlfriend. She waited nervously. The first to arrive was her rowdy bunch – her own group of friends.

“There you are!”

“Morning Yuri.”

“How are you? Did the ghost catch you?”

“Shut up.”

“I cannot believe you would think there’s a ghost in the lounge.”

“I was alone in the middle of the night. What do you think?”

“But why would there be a ghost under the bright light?”

Taeyeon couldn’t counter attack Yuri’s words so she smacked her forehead instead. That midget literally jumped and slammed her palm onto Yuri’s forehead.

“Okay, stop it the two of you. Taeyeon, are you alright?”

Yoona was concerned. She didn’t get to talk to Jessica yesterday because she was already fast asleep when Yoona reached back to their dorm.

“Yeah, I’m fine.”

“Did Jessica treat you well?”

Hyoyeon looked up.

“Jeshika?”

“It’s JESSICA!”

Yoona gave up on her friends while Taeyeon giggled to herself. Hyoyeon felt triumphant for making one of her friends annoyed today. Seohyun just looked on; wondering why she was with this group in the first place.

“She’s nice.”

“Nice?”

Yuri grinned.

“How nice?”

“Are you going to ask some stupid questions again?”

Yoona was eyeing Yuri; the girl stuck her tongue out.

“She’s okay. She’s really friendly.”

“You’re singing praises for that girl. That’s new. I thought you’re afraid of her?”

Hyoyeon asked.

“Well, when you get to know her, she’s actually nicer than you thought.”

Taeyeon was blushing; she was wondering if she should say it out. She was about to when Jessica appeared in front of her. She smiled widely.

“Hi Taeyeon.”

“Hi Jeshka.”

Yuri and Hyoyeon were already grinning away.

“Jessica, you’re here.”

“Hi Yoona.”

Jessica was smiling at Yoona and Yoona’s heart skipped a beat.  She knew she was in trouble and she failed to notice Jessica’s hand holding on to Taeyeon’s. The girl discreetly hid their hands behind her back.

“Hey, lecture is going to start. Let’s get in.”

Seohyun was looking at her time as she ushered the girls in. Yuri and Hyoyeon ran towards the back of the lecture hall. Seohyun rolled her eyes. Taeyeon and Jessica were walking behind Yoona. The poor girl didn’t realize anything amiss.

“Have you told them yet?”

Jessica whispered softly.

“Not yet. I’ll let them know when the time is right.”

“Okay. By the way, I miss you.”

Taeyeon blushed immediately.

“I miss you too.”

The new couple was whispering among themselves as they made their way up the lecture hall.

*

Tiffany was in the lecture hall when she saw Sunny, Bora and Soo Young streaming in with the other university mates. Sunny seemed annoyed.

“What’s wrong?”

“Choi Soo Young is being annoying today.”

Tiffany looked over Sunny’s shoulders. Soo Young was restless. The taller girl leaned her body onto the table before pushing Sunny’s books down to the floor.

“YA!”

“I need space.”

“You have your own space!”

“I need space to whine.”

“Urgh! I’m going to kill you one of these days!”

“Kill me now then.”

“TIFFANY! HELP ME!”

“Okay, okay. Chill out. Sunny, you sit inside. I’ll sit in between of you.”

Sunny moved in and Soo Young turned to terrorize Bora instead. But the girl was expressionless.

“You’re really a pro in ignoring annoying people like me.”

“Of course, and what the hell is wrong with you?”

“Yeah, what’s wrong with you?”

Tiffany asked as well. Soo Young shrugged her shoulders and gave an idiotic look at the two girls. Sunny filled them in instead.

“This morning, she woke up saying she misses Yuri. And she cannot find Yuri anywhere this morning so she’s depressed.”

Tiffany and Bora turned to Soo Young. They were surprised.

“Yes, you’re surprised, right? Choi Soo Young’s in love.”

Sunny was teasing but Soo Young ignored her.

“Are you serious, Soo Young?”

“I don’t know. Is this how you would react if you miss someone precious?”

Bora was nodding her head and Tiffany smiled to herself. Soo Young was growing up.

“You’ve finally grown up.”

Soo Young sighed.

“You really like Yuri, Soo Young?”

Sunny needed to confirm again.

“Yes, I really like that girl a lot.”

That was new for all the girls. Choi Soo Young, the player, was falling in love.

*

Yoona sat beside Seohyun; Jessica was just next to her. Taeyeon was sitting on the outside. Yoona glanced to her side; Jessica kept turning to face Taeyeon. Taeyeon on the other hand had that sheepish smile on her face each time Jessica turned to her.

Yoona assumed that they were getting on well after last night.

“You two get along well, aren’t you?”

Jessica was startled and immediately turned to face Yoona. Taeyeon was looking on.

“Ah, yes. We talked for awhile.”

“That’s nice. I was worried that you two might kill each other.”

“Don’t worry; we didn’t. We had a good time.”

“That’s great to know.”

“Thanks to you, Yoona.”

Jessica pulled Yoona’s nose gently again.

Don’t do that! I might kiss you!

Yoona screamed in her head as she tried to look away to avoid embarrassment.

*

“Tiffany!”

“Jessica, we need to talk.”

“Oh sure, I need to tell you something too.”

“Okay, I will meet you after class.”

“Okay!”

Tiffany was waiting for her best friend. She read Jessica’s message about someone new. She needed to know more. Jessica finally appeared after awhile and she was all smiling.

“You look happy.”

Tiffany spoke up as soon as Jessica sat beside her. The latter gave Tiffany a tight hug.

“Of course I am.”

“So who is this special someone? You have never mentioned about any girl before. Or is this a boy?”

“Nah, I never liked boys. Only girls.”

“Wow. So who’s this special someone of yours?”

Jessica’s face turned red. She was obviously shy and Tiffany was amused.

“Wow, you really like this girl.”

“Yeah, I do. She’s awesome.”

“So when can I meet her?”

“Soon, I guess.”

“Are you going to stay away from me?”

Jessica could sense the jealous tone that her best friend had. She pulled Tiffany closer and hugged her tightly.

“You’re my best friend. I’ll never abandon you. I love you, Tiffany. We have been together since we were young. I just want you to accept her because she will be part of your life too.”

“I understand, Jessica. I know that.”

“You’ll be by my side, right?”

“I’ll always be. I’m just so glad you’ve found your destiny.”

“You don’t intend to find one?”

Tiffany suddenly thought of Yoona when Jessica mentioned that. Her cheeks blushed slightly.

“Wait, I know that look.”

Jessica could sense it. She’s not her best friend for nothing.

“Whattt?”

Tiffany tried to deny. Jessica stared at her; and Tiffany’s cheeks got even redder. Jessica’s eyes grew larger.

“YOU HAVE SOMEONE TOO!”

Jessica screamed.

“YOU DONT HAVE TO SHOUT! SHH!”

Tiffany pulled the grinning Jessica to the side. It was chaos for the moment. Jessica started drilling Tiffany and her “the one”.

“Who’s she?”

“She’s a junior in our school.”

“Oh? Wow! How did you meet her?”

“She bumped into me and I almost fell.”

“And?”

“She caught me by the waist and I thought she was cute.”

Jessica stared at her best friend.

“Stop staring at me like that!”

“She must be pretty, right?!”

Tiffany nodded her head shyly.

*

Yuri was playing basketball in the gym alone. Hyoyeon was at her track and field training and Seohyun had to go off for her first tuition. She was going to teach some high school kid and Yoona disappeared into thin air with Taeyeon.

Yuri dribbled her ball skilfully and would praise herself each time her 3 point shot went in. The ball went in beautifully and the dorky Yuri threw her fist up in the air.

“Awesome! I’m awesome!”

How thick skinned could the girl get. But someone was clapping at the corner of the gym. Yuri turned and was horrified to find her nemesis smiling widely at her.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?!”

*

Soo Young was heading home. She couldn’t find Yuri anywhere. She was depressed. She made her way to the gym to dump her books into the locker when she saw someone playing basketball. She stared at the figure carefully and was delighted when it turned out to be Yuri. She smiled widely.

“There you are, my love.”

She grinned to herself.

*

“WHAT?!”

Soo Young was menacing enough to irk Yuri again. The girl was giggling while checking Yuri out. Yuri turned.

“Oh come on, I thought you were awesome? Are you shy now?”

“How long have you been there? Are you stalking me now?”

“Isn’t that great? Don’t you feel like a superstar?”

“What? Why?”

“Someone’s stalking you.”

“That’s creepy, idiot!”

Soo Young was enjoying this conversation too much. Yuri was just cute to poke fun at. Her reactions were just amazingly funny and Soo Young knew her heart has fallen deeply.

“Are you alone, Yuri?”

“Do you see anyone else?”

“Aw, did your friends ditch you?”

Yuri rolled her eyes and walked back to her bag. She was embarrassed to be caught by Soo Young; praising herself. She took her towel and wiped her face off. She hung it around her neck but Soo Young took it instead. Yuri was appalled.

“Hey!”

“Hang on, you missed a spot.”

Soo Young went closer to Yuri; she stood in front of Yuri who was sitting down; looking up at her. Soo Young looked into her eyes briefly before turning away to wipe the missed spot. Yuri was still staring at her.

“There, you’re done.”

“What the hell did you wipe?”

“Your smelly sweat. You missed a spot on your forehead.”

Soo Young threw the towel back at Yuri before grabbing her bag. She then left Yuri; she was perplexed with Soo Young’s actions. She watched as Soo Young’s back disappeared from view. Her mind was boggled with questions.

“What on earth did that girl do to me just now?”

Yuri wondered.

And as for Soo Young, she was contented to just able to see Yuri before heading home. She smiled widely and she could still feel Yuri’s body warmth on her. She could feel her heart beating so fast when she looked deep into Yuri’s eyes. There was no doubt that Yuri has caught her heart.

“Kwon Yuri, you’re just so amazing especially the way you captured my heart.”

Soo Young was dreaming of Yuri.

*

Seohyun was waiting in the room. Her tutoring kid’s roommate let her in earlier on.

“She’s going to be back soon. You can wait here. She asked me to open the door for you.”

“Sure, thanks.”

Seohyun settled down quickly and took out her books. Seohyun came from the country side. So her dressing was rather unique. Suddenly she heard running steps coming through the door and someone bounced in front of her.

“You’re here.”

The girl was rather arrogant. There was not even an apology.

“Do you want to take a rest first?”

“Not necessary. Let’s get going. My parents are paying you by hourly rate. It’s too expensive.”

Seohyun looked on blankly.

Rude, cold and arrogant.

“What’s your name?”

“Huh?”

“Your name’s Huh?”

“Do you have to be this rude?”

“What? I just asked your name.”

Seohyun sighed.

“My name is Seohyun.”

“Okay, you can call me Krystal.”

Seohyun knew it was going to be a long day.

*

“Kim Taeyeon, where are you going to bring me?”

“Stop calling me by my full name!”

“Stop dragging me then.”

“I need to tell you something.”

“What is it?”

“Are we far from school?”

“We’re in another town, Taeyeon.”

“Okay, this is it.”

Yoona looked up and Taeyeon was nervous.

“Hurry up!”

“Okay, fine!”

“Tell me now.”

Taeyeon took a deep breath.

“I’m seeing someone.”

“What?”

“I’m in love.”

Yoona was speechless.

*