Chapter 4 - The Meeting

Ignorant Brat

Taeyeon refused to meet Yoona at her room. She got into a lot of trouble with Jessica the last time and she was not willing to get sit on by Jessica anymore. She waited at the student lounge instead. But who have thought, Jeshka Jung was there too and the midget couldn’t see her. Jeshka Jung was trying to sleep at the back of the lounge where there was nobody around.

Taeyeon looked at her phone and gave Yoona a missed call. The girl replied; telling her to give half an hour. She just woke up. Taeyeon rolled her eyes.

“Stupid Yoona!”

She threw the phone into her bag. She leaned against the sofa and lifted her two legs up. She then the television – Girls Generation was playing. Taeyeon turned the music louder much to annoyance of a sleeping girl.

“HEY DO YOU MIND?!”

Taeyeon froze on the spot. She was certain she was alone in the lounge. How could there be a voice behind her? Taeyeon thought she was hearing things. She turned the television even louder. Seconds later, she heard a groan and Taeyeon was hugging her knees to her chest.

She heard the sound of someone dragging his feet behind her. She didn’t dare to turn. She just remained still; her two palms together; praying hard. Then she felt a pair of hands on her shoulders. Taeyeon was shaking in fear.

“Do you mind lowering that television volume?”

“Who are you? Are you a ghost?”

There was silence. Then Taeyeon heard the dragging feet moved away from her. She was contemplating if she should open her eyes.

“Ghost? Are you still there?”

Her voice was shaky and quivery. There was no sound; just silence greeted her. Taeyeon was even scared than before.  She wanted to run but she wasn’t too sure if she should.

What should I do? Should I run? Should I run with my eyes closed? What if I hit the wall or something? ARGHHH! THIS IS SO INFURIATING!

Taeyeon was fighting within herself. But she had to make a decision. She decided to open her eyes and run but before she could do that, the ghost was standing right in front of her.

“AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”

Taeyeon’s world turned black immediately.

*

“What did you do to Taeyeon?”

Yoona was stunned to find Jessica carrying unconscious Taeyeon on her back.

“It’s a long story. But do you mind?”

Yoona helped Jessica to carry Taeyeon onto her bed. Taeyeon’s face was extremely pale. Yoona was already trying to wake her up.

“Taeyeon? Taeyeon!”

“I think she got scared.”

“Scared? By what?”

“Me. She thought I was the ghost at the lounge.”

Yoona burrowed her eyebrows together.

“I was sleeping over there.”

“Why did you sleep there?”

“I wanted to avoid this midget. Who would have known she was in the lounge; blasting the television’s volume? I couldn’t sleep so I asked her to keep it down.”

Yoona knew the story after that. Taeyeon must have mistaken Jessica for a ghost. Yoona was amused at first but Taeyeon’s face was getting paler by the minute. But Yoona had to go off. The other girls were waiting for them at the cinema.

“You go ahead. I can look after her.”

Yoona stared at Jessica.

“What?”

“You? Looking after your arch enemy?”

“Oh come on, I won’t kill her. But you have to promise that she won’t either.”

“She won’t even hurt an ant.”

“Neither would I.”

“Okay, call me when she’s awake. Oh, I bought dinner for you. You might want to share it with her.”

“Yes Yoona omma.”

Yoona rolled her eyes but left soon after Jessica did her girl guide’s promise that she would not do anything to Taeyeon. She turned around to find Taeyeon still sleeping on her bed. She felt guilty for scaring that midget but she couldn’t help it. She had to scare her.

Jessica went over to her side and touched Taeyeon’s forehead.

“Good, she’s not running a temperature.”

Jessica kept her promise. She just let Taeyeon sleep on her bed. She just sat beside her and looked on. Jessica couldn’t help it but stared blankly into Taeyeon’s porcelain white face. 

What are you? Why are you so cute even when you’re not awake?

Jessica’s hand unknowingly caressed Midget Kim’s cheeks lightly.

*

Boa was with Yunho. They were holding hands together. Most of the students in the college envied them. One of them was Bora. She thought Yunho was extremely good looking. He was her senior in the track and field team.

“Sigh.”

“What?”

“Look at them.”

Bora was pointing to the couple. The girls sighed together - all except Choi Soo Young. She rolled her eyes when she saw Boa.

“They look lovely together. I have always thought Yunho oppa is gorgeous.”

“Are you jealous, Bora?”

Sunny was grinning away but she was gesturing at Soo Young instead. The two girls giggled softly.

“Not jealous, I’m just envious. The jealous one would be Choi Soo Young.”

“What?!”

“Why are you staring at the couple for?”

“What is she doing? Locking arms with a girl in the day and hugging a man in the night.”

“See, jealous.”

“Shut up, Bora!”

Soo Young smacked Bora’s back but the girl was grinning at her Soo Young much to her chagrin.

“Have you found your Yuri yet?”

“Yuri?”

Tiffany and Bora turned to look at Sunny.

“The girl’s name is Yuri.”

“OHHH!”

Soo Young just looked at her friends; with a deadpan look. They were teasing her.

“I don’t even know which faculty she’s in. How am I supposed to find her?”

Soo Young was mumbling.

“You could just ask Boa unnie.”

“Are you kidding me?”

“Why not?”

“She’s my rival now.”

“Rival for?”

“Yuri’s affections.”

Her friends were stunned. They didn’t think Soo Young was serious about that girl.

“Wait, Choi Soo Young. Are you alright? You’re serious about that girl?”

“When have I ever not been serious on any girl?”

The three girls just stared at her.

“Okay, fine. Those girls in the past are not counted.”

“Thank you very much for admitting that.”

“Shut up, Tiffany.”

“Tiffany’s right. You have never been so interested in any girl except for now.”

Soo Young looked away briefly before turning to her friends.

“Yuri’s different. She’s a little notch higher.”

“OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”

“SHUT UP!”

Soo Young was teased by her good friends but she didn’t care much. She was worried that Boa might be taking Yuri for a ride. She decided to do something.

“I’m leaving.”

“Where are you going?”

“I have something to do. See you girls tomorrow!”

Soo Young left immediately; leaving the three girls behind.

*

“Where’s Tae?”

“Fainted.”

“HUH!?!”

Yoona burst out laughing when she saw three confused faces; staring at her with their big round eyes.

“Oh my god, you three look so comical.”

“Why are you laughing? Where’s Tae? Why did she faint?”

Hyoyeon immediately asked and Yoona told them everything. Hyoyeon was already sniggering.

“Oh, the hot girl is watching over her?”

“Her name is Jessica.”

“It’s difficult to pronounce her name.”

“Try.”

“Jeshika.”

“Well, not close enough but definitely better than Tae’s.”

“Who is this Jessica?”

Yuri was a little lost and Seohyun didn’t have any interest in anything. She turned to look at the movie trailers instead.

“Taeyeon caught her in Yoona’s room!”

“YA! That doesn’t sound right!”

“Yoona has a girl in her room?!”

“She’s my roommate, for god sake!”

“You have a roommate?”

Yuri was incredulously staring at Yoona.

“Yes I do.”

“You didn’t mention before!”

“She went missing and recently re-appeared.”

Yuri was sceptical. She gave that questioning look.

“What?!”

“Are you sure she’s not ghost?”

“What on earth!”

Hyoyeon was laughing at Yuri’s silliness.

“She’s a pure human. She’s warm and has a heartbeat.”

“How would u know?”

“What?”

“Did you touch her chest or something?”

Yoona was flabbergasted. Yuri was always creepy like that. Hyoyeon was dying of laughter and Seohyun looked on with no enthusiasm.

“I think she’s a real human, Yuri. Taeyeon said she has a hot body.”

Hyoyeon was winking at Yoona.

“Why are you winking at me for?”

“You’re so damn lucky.”

“Oh my god, why am I here?”

Yoona stormed off with Yuri running after her. Hyoyeon and Seohyun were catching up with them. Yuri pulled Yoona’s arm and the girl fell backwards.

“What?”

“So when will we get to see the hot girl?”

Yoona smacked Yuri on her forehead real hard.

*

Taeyeon found herself trapped in a room. The ghost was coming nearer to her. She could see the ghost’s eyes popping out from their socket. Taeyeon screamed her lungs out.

“HEY MIDGET!”

She heard a voice but she couldn’t see the face.

“Midget!”

She heard it again; it was getting louder. And her arms hurt.

“YA!”

Taeyeon opened her eyes immediately; she was greeted by a unfamiliar face who kept peering over hers.

“ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! GHOSTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!”

Taeyeon sat up immediately only to be whacked on her head.

“OW!”

“Stop screaming! You scared the out of me!”

Taeyeon rubbed her eyes. Jessica was staring at her; worriedly.

“Jeshka?”

“Okay, you’re fine now.”

“What?”

“You called me Jeshka. That proves you’re back to normal.”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes but started looking around the room.

“What the heck am I doing here?”

Taeyeon realized she was in Jessica’s room. She couldn’t find Yoona.

“Yoona’s out with your friends at the movies. I volunteered to look after you.”

Taeyeon’s eyes grew wider.

“Are you planning to torture me?”

Jessica turned to her.

“What?”

“I will learn to pronounce your name properly!”

“What are you mumbling about now?”

“Just don’t torture me!”

“Who’s going to torture you?”

“You?”

Taeyeon said with a timid voice.

“For what?”

“I made fun of you that day. You already got your revenge.”

Jessica rolled her eyes. She poured a glass of water and gave it to Taeyeon. The girl took it with her head lowered down.

“What am I doing here then?”

“You fainted in the lounge room. I took you back here.”

Taeyeon remembered the ghost.

“That’s right!”

“What is it?”

“There’s a ghost in the lounge room!”

“There’s no ghost. I was the ghost.”

Taeyeon was stunned.  Jessica was staring at her.  She saw the fear in Taeyeon’s eyes. She found herself coming closer to Taeyeon. She was about to spread her arms around the smaller girl when suddenly Taeyeon jumped on her.

“YA!”

“You were trying to kill me?!”

“Why would I do that?”

“You scared me!”

“You were just imagining things. I asked you to lower down the volume.”

“But I didn’t see you in the room!”

“I was in the room; at the back of the lounge. I was sleeping there because I wanted to avoid you. But you came to me instead.”

“I did not! I was avoiding you too!”

“What?”

“I waited for Yoona there because I didn’t want to offend you.”

“Why would you offend me?”

“I made fun of you.”

“Are you that terrified of me, Taeyeon?”

Taeyeon realized she was hugging Jessica from behind. Jessica could feel Taeyeon’s warmth breath just right behind her ears. She suddenly realized she was holding on to Taeyeon’s legs tightly. She quickly let Taeyeon down and the latter went over to Yoona’s bed.

They looked away but Taeyeon tried to steal some glances at Jessica. She could see Jessica’s face was reddening.  Her face was no better.

“I’m not scared of you. I just don’t want to upset you further.”

Taeyeon mumbled but Jessica could hear her clearly. She could even hear Taeyeon’s soft breathing at the back of her ears still. She looked up to find Taeyeon staring at her.

It felt like a split second when suddenly she found Taeyeon’s lips on hers.  And it felt good.

What the hell.

*

“Taeyeon?”

Taeyeon was stunned when she realized what she just did. It was bold of her to kiss someone; let alone a girl.

“Huh?”

“What are you doing?”

“I’m sorry!”

Taeyeon was about to pull away when Jessica held her tighter in her embrace. Taeyeon turned to look at her.

“Are you trying to shrink responsibility now?”

“NO!”

“Then why are you trying to run away from me?”

Jessica’s voice was soft and almost inaudible. She was actually shy and Taeyeon was completely attracted to this side of hers.

“Are you shy, Jeshka?”

“I’m still a girl, you know.”

“What are we doing now?”

“I don’t know. You kissed me first.”

Taeyeon gave a sheepish smile. Jessica blushed further.

“You are so darn cute when you blush. I have no idea you actually blush. I thought you’re just an ice queen.”

Jessica rolled her eyes and was about to pull away when Taeyeon’s lips stuck on hers again. Jessica was surprised at first but welcomed that kiss. She didn’t know Taeyeon’s lips were just so addictive like that.

“Where do we go from here?”

“I don’t know. We might just be physically attracted to each other right now.”

“Yeah, you’re right. Do you want to take it slow?”

Jessica looked at Taeyeon.

“You like my body, aren’t you?”

“What?”

“You kiss me because you like my body, right?”

“Excuse me. I don’t deny that you’re hot but I think I kissed you because I find you attractive.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, didn’t you hear me telling my friends how hot you are?”

Jessica’s ears were as red as strawberries.

“I seriously like this side of you.”

“What?”

“This shy side of you – it’s totally making you even hotter than before.”

Kim Taeyeon, a byun and obviously a sweet talker – she got the ice queen stuck on her.

*

Tiffany was queuing for coffee while waiting for Sunny and the rest. She wasn’t paying attention as she fiddled with her phone. She saw a message from Jessica and she was surprised. Jessica would never send her a message. It would always be Tiffany who made the contact.

She was stunned when she read Jessica’s message.

Tiffany, I found someone. We just kissed. It was just so bizarre!

“WHAT?!”

Tiffany screamed into the phone; she attracted unwanted attention. She saw different pair of eyes staring at her and she was embarrassed. She decided to leave the coffee house immediately. She was about to leave when the barista called out for her.

“Miss, your coffee!”

“Uh, thanks!”

She grabbed the coffee and tried to run out. But she slammed into someone instead and to make things worse, the coffee fell on that someone’s blouse. Tiffany was stunned.

“OH MY GOD!”

The innocent bystander was burnt by her coffee. Thanks to Jessica Jung’s message.

*

“Yoona, you lost! Get us some coffee!”

“Big bullies.”

“Hey, we won it fair and square.”

“Seohyun, you’re one of the bullies too.”

Seohyun was feeling guilty. She wanted to help Yoona but Hyoyeon refused to. She looked at Yoona helplessly.

“She wouldn’t let me move.”

“It’s okay. I’ll get back at her. What coffee do you want, Seohyun?”

“Hey, how come you’re not asking us?”

“I know what type of coffee both of you like. You drink the same type all the time.”

Hyoyeon and Yuri looked at her; then grinned to themselves. Yoona rolled her eyes. She wondered why she was stuck with these friends but they made her college life funny so far. Well, sometimes.

“I’ll just get iced passion tea.”

“Okay then.”

She turned to the other two. She stuck her palm out.

“What?”

“I only have $10 bucks. One coffee at least cost $5 bucks.”

“Cheapskate.”

“I’m just a student.”

Yuri gave a $10 note to Yoona and she went off quickly.

“HEY, YOU DIDN’T ASK FROM SEOHYUN!”

“I have $10 bucks. I can pay for her first. Anyway she’s the maknae. BYE!”

Yoona quickly walked away; she could hear Yuri grumbling at her. Then she heard Hyoyeon smacking Yuri’s back.

“Thanks Yuri!”

“For what?”

“For paying for my coffee!”

“NO WAY! YOU’RE PAYING BACK! YOU’RE NEITHER THE MAKNAE NOR THE OLDEST IN THE GROUP!”

“LIFE’S SO UNFAIR!”

Yoona sniggered. She turned around to find Yuri chasing after Hyoyeon and Seohyun just looked on with exasperation written all over her face. Yoona was glad she was not there. She couldn’t handle Yuri’s kkabness and Hyoyeon’s silly antics. They would make a good couple if they were together.

But Yoona’s luck wasn’t that great either. She slammed into someone with hot coffee poured onto her blouse. It burnt her skin immediately.

“OH MY GOD!”

Yoona could only wince as the hot coffee seeped through her blouse and onto her stomach.  She looked up. The other person was mortified.

“I’M SO SORRY!”

“It’s okay.”

“NO, IT’S NOT ALRIGHT!”

Yoona recognised that person. She bumped into the girl before. But before she could say anything, the girl was already dragging her to the washroom.

“Where are we going?”

“To get you clean up.”

“I’m not hurt.”

Yoona could feel the tight grip around her wrist. The girl was holding on to her tightly. She was clearly terrified.

“I’m really sorry. I didn’t see you in front of me.”

“It’s okay. It’s just an accident. I’ll be fine.”

“I’ll pay for the blouse!”

“It’s not necessary. I’ll just buy a new one.”

“Oh wait!”

The girl pulled her bag to the front and pulled out a t-shirt. She gave it to Yoona.

“Heh?”

“Change into this.”

“But this is new.”

“It’s alright.”

“Oh okay.”

“Get dressed. I’ll wait outside.”

Yoona nodded and changed.  She realized the t-shirt was in pink colour. She grimaced at the colour. But she couldn’t care much anymore. She adjusted her hair neatly and went out to meet Tiffany. She smiled.

And once again, the girl blushed instantly.

Why are you blushing?

Yoona was amused.

*

Yuri was running around the shopping mall with Hyoyeon running ahead of her. Seohyun has given up. She just let them be.

“COME BACK HERE!”

“I’M NOT STUPID TO RETURN TO YOU! YOU WILL JUST HEADLOCK ME AGAIN!”

“HOW COULD YOU RUN SO FAST WITH SHORT LEGS?”

“DO NOT INSULT THE MIDGETS!”

But Yuri was not prepared for the next thing. She bumped into someone and fell on top of that person. She was apologetic at first but soon realized it was her arch enemy.

“What the.”

“HI YURI!”

“WHY!? WHY MUST I KEEP BUMPING INTO THIS PERSON?!”

“We’re fated!”

Yuri was completely mortified and Soo Young was excited to meet Yuri again.

*