Chapter 3 - Arch Enemy

Ignorant Brat

“Why are you smiling like that?”

Tiffany was surprised when she heard a voice behind her. She quickly turned to find her best friend staring at her. Tiffany shook her head and quickly wrapped her arms around Jessica.

“I’m just happy to meet you.”

“Really? You’re always happy to see me, aren’t you?”

“Well, I haven’t seen you for almost 2 weeks.”

Tiffany glanced to Jessica’s arms and was alarmed to find it bandaged.

“What did you do this time?”

“Don’t worry about it; I’ve seen the doctor.”

“Can you stop hanging out with that group?”

“You know you cannot leave after you joined them.”

“Then why did you join them in the first place?”

Jessica shrugged her shoulders but quickly sat down. She pulled Tiffany by her waist and just quietly placed her head against Tiffany’s stomach. The other girl was her hair gently.

“I don’t know, Tiffany. I guess I made a mistake.”

“Can you leave them for my sake?”

Jessica looked up; Tiffany’s eyes were watery. She hated it when Tiffany cried. She quickly pulled Tiffany closer to her.

“Don’t cry, please. I’ll try.”

“You promise?”

“Yes, Tiffany. I promise. Now, please don’t cry anymore.”

“I bought you something to eat. You have to share it with me.”

“Okay, let’s eat.”

Jessica eagerly grabbed the packet from Tiffany and laid it out on the table in front of them. Tiffany was already grabbing a spoonful of the rice and put it near to Jessica’s mouth.

“I can eat myself!”

“No way, I’m going to feed you.”

“Tiffany~~~”

“Open your mouth, Baby Sica! AHHH~”

Jessica’s display of rebellion didn’t get to Tiffany. She pouted her lips and folded her arms but Tiffany was still shoving the spoon into . Jessica relented.

“Good girl.”

“I’m not a baby!”

“You’re always a baby when it comes to me.”

Jessica sulked. But Tiffany was right. She would only turn child-like when she’s with Tiffany. That’s why only Tiffany could understand her; could control her to a certain extent. Tiffany hugged Jessica tightly.

“Thanks for keeping your promise.”

“You’re welcome. You know I would only respond to you.”

“That’s good. Now eat finish before going back to your room. Will you be attending classes tomorrow?”

“I don’t have any friends.”

“Make friends then.”

Jessica stared at her in horror. Tiffany chuckled softly.

“You have to start somewhere.”

“You know I don’t have that ability to warm up to people that easily.”

“How about your new roommate?”

Jessica smiled at the thought of Yoona. Tiffany was a little envious.

“She’s okay.”

“There you go. You can start with her.”

“But it’s still awkward.”

“Jessica..”

“Alright, I’ll try. But if it backfires, I blame you.”

“Fine.”

Jessica giggled softly. Tiffany’s pouting lips were just too cute.

*

Jessica returned back to her dorm; and was completely surprised to find the room empty. She looked at the time. It was almost 10pm but there was no sign of her roommate. Nevertheless, she took out her jacket and dumped it on her bed.  Jessica then took off her clothes and she was completely . She grabbed her towel and was about to enter the washroom when someone pushed the bathroom door from inside instead. Jessica shrieked.

The other person had her eyes wide open and her jaw was almost touching the floor.

“Midget, you again!”

“Oh. Jeshka, you’re back.”

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?!”

“I was...”

Taeyeon glanced to the centre part. Jessica Jung was still pretty much . The taller girl realized it and smacked Taeyeon’s forehead really hard.

“OUCH!”

“ERT!”

“WHAT?!”

“STOP STARING AT ME LIKE THAT!”

“I WASN’T! THE TOWEL CAME UNDONE BY ITSELF!”

“ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”

“Okay, relax! I have the same thing you have!”

“IT’S NOT THE SAME!”

“Huh? You have more than what I have?”

“YA! MIDGET!”

It was just total chaos.

*

“I’m sorry, Jessica. Taeyeon’s water heater spoilt in her room. So she borrowed our bathroom. I’m sorry, I should have left you a note but I was in a hurry to buy dinner back.”

Yoona returned back to the dorm when Taeyeon called her for help. Jessica was going to strangle her to death. She wasn’t ready to die yet. Jessica was still staring at the midget. Taeyeon fidgeted in her seat.

“I’m sorry, Jessica. I’m really sorry.”

“It’s okay. It’s over.”

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I guess I’m fine. I was just in a shock.”

“Yeah right.”

Taeyeon mumbled. Jessica heard that.

“What did you say?”

“Taeyeon, what are you doing?”

“She almost killed me with her towel. Can’t you see the red marks around my neck?!”

Jessica looked up and saw the reddening marks around Taeyeon’s neck. She was guilty of that.

“Who asked you to look at her chest?”

“Hey, I’m short. What do you expect me to do?”

“I’m sorry, Taeyeon.”

Taeyeon was taken aback when Jessica apologized.

“I’m really sorry. I was just in a shock.”

“You were traumatized or something?”

“I guess it’s a natural instinct to lunge at a person who’s a ert.”

“You!”

“Okay, let’s forgive and forget. Taeyeon, she has already apologised.”

Yoona was urging Taeyeon.

“Fine then.”

The midget folded her arms and looked away. Jessica was looking at her. She was amused at first but then realized Taeyeon was just adorable when she was sulking earlier on. Yoona was quick to appease her by showering her with food. Taeyeon’s smile was quick to return and Jessica was relieved.

“It’s easy to pacify you.”

Taeyeon looked up. Yoona was hoping Taeyeon wouldn’t get offended for that. But her worries came to naught. Dorky Taeyeon just couldn’t be bothered. She smiled at Jessica instead.

“I don’t get mad for long. It’s easier to forgive and forget. I think you’ll be happier that way.”

Taeyeon smiled widely and Jessica’s heart skipped a beat yet again.

“What’s wrong with me? Why must I feel like there are butterflies in my stomach each time she smiles?”

Jessica was bewildered.

*

Soo Young was hungry. Sunny gave up on her and kicked her out of the room because of her incessant whines. She even gave the taller girl some money to get herself something to eat. Soo Young grinned happily.

She decided to head out of the dormitory to the nearby street. There were plenty side stalls by the roadsides selling Korean snacks. Soo Young was really happy at the thought of it alone.  She crossed the road across her dormitory. There were plenty of college students still hanging out at the side stalls outside. Soo Young went to the one that was selling dukbokki and pancake. But she wasn’t alone. Someone else ordered at the same time. She looked up; the person looked at her as well.

“YOU?!”

The person was traumatised.

“Hey, we meet again.”

“Why?!”

The person was looking up in the sky; screaming to nobody.

“What do you mean by why and why are you screaming into the sky?”

“Shut up.”

“You looked flushed.”

“No, seriously. Why do I have to meet you TWICE in a day?”

“Maybe we are meant to be?”

“Are you seriously insane?”

“Oh come on, I didn’t make plans to meet you here. It’s a coincidence.”

Soo Young was pleasantly surprised with the intruder’s presence. It was the same girl who caught her eye earlier in the afternoon and she pissed her off till there was no tomorrow. She was going to be pissed off again tonight.

“You stay in a dorm as well?”

“Do I look like someone who’s sleeping by the streets?”

“Feisty.”

“Talk to my hand.”

Soo Young was tickled by her. She had to know her name. But she knew the girl wouldn’t tell her. So she had to think of something to trick her.

“What’s your name?”

“I’m not telling.”

“Why not?”

“You’re not worth to know my name.”

“Are you ashamed of your name?”

“What? No! My mom gave me the nicest name on Earth!”

“It sounds better than Soo Young?”

“Who’s Soo Young?”

“That’s me. That’s my name.”

“Your name is Soo Young? Why are you telling me for?”

“Oh come on, its basic courtesy to introduce each other. And we normally mention our names first.”

“I don’t need to be courteous to you. Never you.”

This girl was tough. Soo Young had to back up her game on a higher level.

“I pity your mother.”

“Why?”

“Her daughter hates her name.”

“I don’t!”

“Then she won’t say it out. That goes to show how much you love your name.”

“It definitely sounds better than Soo Young!”

“Oh? Really? I’m not convinced. Does it have a weird meaning?”

“No! I’m proud of my name!”

“Yeah right.”

“Hey, it really sounds nicer than yours!”

“Okay, tell me then.”

“It’s Kwon Yuri!”

“BINGO!”

Yuri was flabbergasted. The arch enemy tricked her into saying her name. And to make things worse, the girl took Yuri’s orders and left the place. Before she leaves, the girl was smirking at her.

“Thanks Yuri for the treat! You’re right. Yuri sounds better than Soo Young.”

Soo Young smiled in victory when she heard Yuri screaming in the background.

“OH MY GOD! WHAT THE HELL!”

Yuri was extremely pissed off and Soo Young was gloating over it.

“You’re so cute, Yuri.”

Soo Young smiled to herself.

*

Taeyeon returned to her room just to find Yuri mumbling and grumbling. She was obviously mad at something or someone. Taeyeon stared at her.

“Are you alright?”

“NO!”

“Wow, that’s really loud.”

“I hate Soo Young!”

“Who’s Soo Young?”

“That bamboo pole!”

“Wow, you even know her name?”

“I must have been jinxed! Of all people, I met her in the streets!”

Taeyeon suddenly grinned.

“What are you grinning about?!”

“You’re disoriented.”

“What?”

“Never mind. The water heater is not working.”

“ARGHHHHHHHHH! THE WORST DAY OF MY LIFE!”

Yuri left the room immediately. Taeyeon was amused.

“She must really hate that girl a lot.”

*

Jessica was having her dinner. Yoona bought some beef bulgogi and that girl loves meat. Jessica looked on as Yoona went from one end to the other end of the room; busy moving things around. Jessica was curious; she had to ask.

“What are you doing?”

“Huh? Nah, I’m just fixing the place.”

“Why? You don’t like it?”

“Nah, it’s too small and some things are taking up a lot of place. You just eat your dinner on your bed. I’ll fix the room where we could have a tiny dining area for our future meals.”

Jessica nodded and ate quietly. Yoona was moving her things around all by herself. She was frowning away. Jessica giggled at Yoona’s expression.

“What?”

Yoona turned to look at her.

“Do you always pout your lips cutely like that?”

Yoona smiled sheepishly.

“I’m sorry. Force of habit. I do that all the time.”

“Don’t apologize for every little thing. I just think you’re really cute like that.”

Yoona’s face turned red immediately. There was something tugging in her heartstrings. It was something new for Yoona. She has never felt like this before.

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.”

“Then why is your face flushing red?”

“It’s hot!”

Yoona ran into the bathroom and slammed the door. She couldn’t look into Jessica’s eyes earlier on. Her heart was beating rapidly.

“What the hell! What’s going on?!”

Yoona was perplexed.

*

The next morning, Yoona woke up to find Jessica missing. She turned to her clock – it was 6.30 am in the morning. Yoona frowned.

“Where did she go?”

Yoona scratched her head as she grabbed her towel. She was about to enter the bathroom when she saw food on the dining table at the side of the room. Yoona stayed up to clear up the place and managed to have a place for four people to eat at the table.

Have breakfast before leaving for class. I need to do something. I’ll see you in class later.  – Jessica

Yoona was surprised but nevertheless smiled at Jessica’s thoughtfulness. She quickly showered and prepared for class. She grabbed her breakfast and left her room immediately. Yuri was already in the student lounge; talking with her sister, Boa. Taeyeon was leaning against Seohyun’s back and Hyoyeon was listening to her iPod. All of them were waiting for her.

“You’re here.”

“Yeah, what’s with Yuri? Why is she looking so annoyed?”

“Soo Young stepped on her tail again.”

“Who’s Soo Young?”

“The same girl who picked a fight with her at the cafeteria.”

Yoona was confused. Taeyeon then sat up and explained further.

“She met that girl outside. They got into a mini spat again and Yuri ended up paying for her food. She was clearly unhappy about that.”

“Wow, that’s something new. So she’s complaining to Boa unnie?”

“I think so. Are you done? I’m hungry. Can we eat now?”

Taeyeon was yawning away before she spotted a food package in Yoona’s hands.

“You already bought breakfast? Thanks for not telling us!”

“No, it’s not me. Jessica bought it for me.”

“Jeshka?”

“It’s J-E-S-S-I-C-A. Not Jeshka. Are you getting into her bad books again?”

“Who’s getting into whose bad books?”

Hyoyeon finally pulled out her earphones. She only heard the last bit of Yoona’s conversation. Seohyun was too engrossed in her book to catch up with the conversation.

“This kid here went to use my bathroom and saw my roommate .”

“HEY! IT WAS AN ACCIDENT!”

“Wow.”

“Hyoyeon, it’s not that way. She happened to be when I stepped out from the bathroom!”

“Well, is she hot?”

Taeyeon blushed.

“She’s really hot huh?”

“She has the body.”

Hyoyeon was whistling like a wolf and Taeyeon was doing high-fives with her. Yoona was bewildered.

“YA! You’re talking about my roommate here!”

“Why? Is she your girlfriend?”

“NO!”

“Yeah! Then why are you panicking? Or wait, are you jealous that I got to see her ?”

“Why should I get jealous for? She’s my roommate! I have to protect her dignity if I have to!”

Hyoyeon and Taeyeon were sniggering at Yoona but unknown to them, the person in question was just nearby. She was pleasantly surprised to see Yoona protecting her. She felt somewhat blessed to have another friend who cares.

She started to show herself. And Taeyeon was stunned.

“Hi Midget.”

“Jes..hh...kaaa..”

“Had fun badmouthing me?”

Taeyeon was in a hot soup that day.

*

Soo Young was with Sunny, Bora and Tiffany. She was in awful good mood because of yesterday’s run in with Yuri. She couldn’t forget how pissed Yuri was yesterday. She gloated over it.

“Can you stop having that cynical smile on your face?”

Sunny smacked her from behind. Soo Young stuck her tongue out.

“Why is she smiling like that?”

“Do you remember the girl she pissed off at the cafeteria?”

“Yeah? What’s with that?”

“She saw the girl again last night while buying supper and annoyed that girl further.”

“Choi Soo Young, why would you do that?!”

“She’s really cute! I swear!”

“If she’s cute, make her smile; not agitated!”

“Nah, she has that agitated face that makes her simply adorable.”

“You’re weird, Soo Young.”

“Yeah, I’m weird like that.”

But her smile didn’t last long. Something got her attention. Well, it was Bora who pointed it out.

“Hey, is it that girl?”

Soo Young quickly turned to where Bora was pointing and her mood turned sour immediately.

“Wow, what is she doing with Boa unnie?”

Sunny and Tiffany saw the girl in question was locking arms with sunbae, Boa.

“She’s kinda chummy with Boa unnie.”

Sunny was nudging Tiffany when she realized Soo Young was staring intently at the two girls ahead of them. Tiffany giggled.

“Do you think she’s with Boa unnie?”

Soo Young’s mouth twitched.

“I didn’t know Boa unnie is into girls. I thought she’s going out with Yunho oppa?”

Soo Young clenched her fists together. She was jealous – jealous to see Yuri and Boa together.

“Maybe Yuri likes her.”

“Yeah, who would like someone who annoys her so much?”

Soo Young turned to look at Tiffany. She was staring at the girl.

“What?”

“She’s close with Boa unnie. You can see that with your own eyes and you know how many girls in our school have crushes on Boa unnie.”

“But she’s attached to Yunho oppa.”

“Well, she’s not married and it doesn’t hurt to fool around a bit. Just like you did.”

Soo Young left immediately after Sunny’s last words. She was extremely furious with her friends’ comments but she was worried as well. What if Yuri is interested with Boa?  She could never win over Boa. That girl has everything – yes even though she’s shorter than Soo Young, Kwon Boa is really a beauty to be reckoned with.

“No way, I’m not going to let Yuri slip from my fingers.”

Soo Young made the promise to herself and hatched a plan to get closer to Yuri.

*

“Yuri, why are you locking arms with me?”

“You’re my sister. Is that wrong?”

“No it’s not but people don’t know you’re my sister and they are giving me weird eyes.”

Yuri turned to find many girls were staring at them. Yuri just grinned and gave a soft kiss on her sister’s cheek.

“KWON YURI!”

“Hey, is kissing just a privilege for Yunho oppa now?”

Yuri and Boa are half sisters. Boa’s father divorced her mother and left them when she was only 2 years old. But Boa’s father kept in touch with her mother as he wanted to be responsible for Boa. Her father met Yuri’s mother and remarried since then. Yuri came along and their father made an effort to bridge the two girls’ relationship together.

Boa grew up with Yuri when they were kids until Boa’s mother remarried and left Seoul. Boa returned few years later and has been staying with Yuri’s parents. But nobody knew the two sisters were related except for Yoona and the gang. Yuri told them before hand.

“Don’t be silly. You will always be my sister.”

“Then I have the right to kiss you!”

“Fine, you win. You’re always so whiny when you’re upset with someone.”

“She started it first!”

Yuri rolled her eyes when Boa reminded her of her nemesis – Soo Young.

“Soo Young’s really nice. Maybe you misunderstood her intentions.”

“What? Her intention to irritate me? How can I misunderstand that?”

“Did you offend her somehow?”

“She cut into my queue and stole my food right under my nose. Yeah, I offended her.”

Yuri was sarcastic and Boa chuckled softly instead. Her younger sister was just cute when she was mad.

“Why are you laughing?”

“You’re seriously offended by her actions but why?”

“I don’t have any idea why. She’s just rude.”

“You don’t really care much about rude people in the past.”

Yuri turned to her sister.

“What?”

“You’re one really cool kid. You wouldn’t even care if someone took your seat away. So I’m surprised and curious to why you were reacting so greatly towards this girl.”

“Unnie, you’re insane.”

“I’m not insinuating anything.”

But Boa was grinning away.

“That evil grin is up.”

“You know yourself better.”

“What are you trying to tell me?”

Boa pulled Yuri’s nose gently.

“Do you find her charming?”

“WHAT?!”

“You think she’s annoyingly charming and that’s why you’re truly dissatisfied that she was getting into your nerves but not the other way around?”

“HAH! NO WAY!”

“Kwon Yuri, I grew up with you.”

“I’m late for lessons! I’m leaving!”

Yuri ran off before Boa could catch hold of her. She was not going to admit that. To the truth was, Yuri didn’t have any slightest idea why Soo Young bothered her so much.

She only knew she had to plan her revenge just to see her again.

 “URGH YOU DAMN BAMBOO POLE!”

*