Chapter 14 - The Painful Truth

Ignorant Brat

“Does Yoona like anyone, Taeyeon?”

Jessica was flipping her magazine while Taeyeon sat on Yoona’s bed. She shook her head.

“She has never told me anything.”

“Is she seeing someone now?”

“I don’t think so. But anybody can fall in love with Yoona. She’s so easy to love.”

“Yeah, I thought so too. She’s so easy to open up to.”

“You like her?”

“She’s my roommate, baby.”

“I know. I mean, that other type of like. I like her too.”

“Whoever is going to be Yoona’s girlfriend is really lucky.”

“Yeah, I think so too.”

Taeyeon got up and went over to Jessica. She gently nudged Jessica to get in and she took her place next to her girlfriend.

“Why?”

“I want to hug you.”

“Please don’t tell me you’re jealous.”

“Well, you’re her roommate. Both of you are in the same room most of the time.”

“Baby, you’re ridiculously jealous for no reason.”

Taeyeon pouted her lips.

“Don’t do that.”

“Hmpf.”

Jessica just couldn’t resist when Taeyeon’s lips were pouted like that. She leaned closer and kissed Taeyeon.

“Baby, I only have eyes for you.”

Taeyeon nodded.

“So you don’t have to be jealous with Yoona or any other girl. When I fall in love, I’ll only have eyes for that one person.”

Jessica was sincere with her confession and Taeyeon’s heart swelled with love. She then pulled Jessica closer and hugged her tightly.

“I only have eyes for you too, baby.”

Taeyeon ended doing what she did best. And Jessica was panicking.

“Baby!”

“Huh?”

“Yoona’s coming back with her friend soon!”

“Then let’s do a quick one!”

There would always be a window of opportunity for any erts out there including byunTaeng. Nobody could stop her.

*

The other couple has finally torn each other away from the lips. Tiffany was blushing like mad and Yoona wasn’t too sure what just had happened but she loves it too much.

“What just happened?”

Tiffany looked away, shyly.

“I’m sorry but I was too boggled with emotions.”

“Me too.”

“So what does this make us now?”

Tiffany looked up to find Yoona’s questioning eyes. Tiffany wasn’t too sure if she should confess. She wasn’t too sure if Yoona took her as a substitute after her first failed love.

“Do you still like her?”

Tiffany’s question Yoona in the heart. She suddenly recalled about her feelings for Jessica. Does she still like her?

“I’m afraid that you might be confused because she rejected you.”

“Well, she doesn’t know.”

“Who is she, Yoona?”

Yoona sighed. But Tiffany was right. She had to make sure of her feelings before she decided anything further.

“She’s my roommate. She’s actually my senior but repeated her year with me.”

“Oh?”

“She’s weird in a funny way but there’s always something in her that intrigued me. But I guess my best buddy caught her eye instead.”

“You really like her a lot?”

“The first time I saw her when I realized I had to share my room with someone else. She was almost non-existent; coming in and out any time she likes. But recently, after she got to know my best friend, she changed.”

Tiffany was staring at Yoona. Her story was almost similar to Jessica’s.

“Does she know you like her?”

“No, I didn’t get to confess.”

“Don’t you want to?”

“It doesn’t make sense if I do now. She’s seeing my best friend.”

“So you’re letting her go?”

Yoona smiled widely.

“She might just be an infatuation of mine. I mean, it has been awhile since I dated.”

Tiffany looked up.

“I mean, it has been a while since I’ve been holding hands with another girl for the longest time.”

Yoona gripped Tiffany’s hand tightly. The older girl glanced to their intertwined hands together.

“Do I sound like I’m confused? Maybe I am, right?”

“Do you think you can like me, Yoona?”

Yoona smiled before caressing Tiffany’s palm gently.

“I know you do.”

“What?”

“The things you do; the way your face blushes whenever I smile at you; but I’m not complaining.”

Tiffany’s heart was pumping rapidly. Her face felt warm and she knew her heart was swelling with love.

“I mean, I think I’ve seen you more often than my roommate. It feels really peaceful having you around. And it’s so natural for me to take care of you. I’m not like that with any new girl but I’m compelled to do that for you.”

Suddenly Yoona came closer; wrapped her arms around Tiffany’s waist.

“Maybe I’m confused my love for Jessica. It might be you. I don’t know how to explain how I’m feeling inside right now. But all I know is that; if I let you go; I might be more upset than my roommate chose my best friend over me.”

Tiffany was stunned. Did Yoona just confess?

*

Yoona knew she was in love with Tiffany when she saved her on impulse. She could have just pulled her back but her body rushed to save Tiffany. She put her life out there; to ensure that Tiffany was safe. So when she got hurt, Yoona finally realized how foolish that was but she wondered why she was so eager to save Tiffany.

That was when Yoona realized Tiffany’s importance in her life. She started to recall those moments they spent together – they were tender, meaningful and almost beautiful moments that Yoona could never erase no matter how hard she tried.

Those were almost perfect; almost fairy-tale like but they were also her most natural moments. Yoona’s extremely shy with new people. She could never talk to a new person. That was why she couldn’t talk to Jessica on their first meeting.

And when Tiffany held her hands earlier on, Yoona could feel her heart reacts to every touch. There was a tingling sensation each time their skin touched. Tiffany’s skin was so smooth like a baby’s skin and Yoona wanted to kiss her hands if she could.

It felt something new. It was stronger than whatever she felt towards Jessica. That’s why when they were standing; admiring the sunset; Yoona had to take a photo of Tiffany. She’s too beautiful for her. She wondered if she’s worthy of Tiffany.

That was the same reason why she wanted to kiss Tiffany so badly. And that kiss had just sealed her confirmation – her heart’s answered prayer.

She’s in love with Tiffany.

“Will you paint my world with me, Tiffany? It has been dull. I think you can add more vibrant to it.”

Tiffany’s cheeks were completely red.

“You’re so good with your words.”

“I’m still waiting.”

“But what if you’re still in love with her?”

“I don’t know.”

“You’ll leave me then.”

“Why should I?”

“I want your whole heart, Yoona.”

“I’ll give you everything of me.”

“You promise?”

Yoona hooked her pinky finger with Tiffany.

“I’ll love you with all of my heart.”

Tiffany smiled widely.

“So, are you going to answer me?”

“Hm?”

“Will you be mine?”

“You don’t have to ask, Yoona. I’m already yours.”

Yoona’s face brightened up quickly and threw her fist up in the air; totally forgotten about her twisted ankle.

“OW!”

“YA~~!  STOP JUMPING!”

Yoona held on to Tiffany tightly before turning Tiffany to face her. Then their eyes met. Tiffany found her answer when Yoona came closer and kissed her lightly on her forehead.

“I love you.”

Tiffany leaned closer.

“I love you too, Yoona.”

They kissed for the second time that day.

*

Hyoyeon was busy cooking for Sunny. The girl sat beside her as they settled down at the balcony. Hyoyeon was cooking noodles but it smelt really good.

“Sunny, are you hungry? It’s going to be ready soon.”

“It’s okay,  take your time.”

“Wait here.”

Hyoyeon ran in and disappeared behind the door. She was out of the apartment leaving Sunny alone. The girl took over the stirring and turned the fire down. Suddenly Hyoyeon came back with two small pieces of cake. Sunny was looking at her.

“What’s this?”

“I bought these cakes earlier on when you were not looking.”

“Huh?”

“I don’t know if you love cakes but this cartoon character looks like you.”

It was a squirrel cake.

“I look like it?”

“Yeah, squirrels are cute. Whenever I see you, you remind me of them.”

“That’s sweet of you.”

“And this is me.”

Hers was a hamster cake.

“Yours look cuter.”

“But it’s fatter.”

Sunny took a good look.

“Yeah, indeed it is.”

“But if you put them together, they look compatible.”

Hyoyeon put her cake closer to Sunny’s. She then looked up and smiled at Sunny. The shorter girl’s heart skipped a beat.

Honestly, Hyoyeon has been thinking a lot about Sunny. She knew Sunny was totally different from the other girls she used to like. Her words were sincere. She remembered their conversation earlier on at the shopping mall.

“Ah, I don’t think I’m good for the track and field team.”

Sunny suddenly turned to look at Hyoyeon. She was surprised when Hyoyeon was sharing her fears with her.

“Why did you say so?”

“Bora could really run fast. I was always 3 seconds later than her. No matter how hard I wanted to beat her, I just couldn’t do it.”

“And you feel discouraged just because Bora could run faster?”

“I’m a competitive person.”

“I could see that.”

“This is the reason why I wanted you to introduce a game for me that would train my competitive mentality.”

“Oh?”

“Bora told me to talk to you. You’re equally competitive as well. She said you’re smarter too.”

“Don’t listen to her.”

“Nah, Bora’s right. You are. I saw you competing with the guy earlier on. He was nothing to you.”

Hyoyeon was smirking. She was actually proud of Sunny back then. She completely lost to the guy before he challenged Sunny to a game.

“You took revenge for me.”

Sunny smiled. And Hyoyeon thought Sunny’s smile was captivating.

“You’re pretty too.”

“Huh?”

“Don’t you think so, Sunny?”

“I don’t really think I am.”

“Heh, you’re so humble.”

Hyoyeon gave a sheepish smile. Sunny was swooned by Hyoyeon that afternoon. Suddenly out of nowhere, Chanyeol appeared in front of them. Hyoyeon quickly took two steps forward. She stood in front of Sunny before squaring up her body. Chanyeol was amused.

“What?”

“What are you doing here?”

“Does the shopping mall belong to you too?”

“Did you follow me and Sunny?”

“Hah! Why should I? I don’t have interest for that dwarf anymore.”

Sunny was amused at Chanyeol’s sudden change. But Hyoyeon didn’t like the way Chanyeol mocking at Sunny.

“You think you’re more capable than her?”

“What?”

“She’s really good at games. She has brains.”

“I know you don’t have one, Hyoyeon.”

“I don’t really care about how you look at me but nobody say that of Sunny.”

Sunny was surprised when Hyoyeon was offensive towards Chanyeol. She was protecting her and Sunny turned to look at Hyoyeon. The girl was still maintaining her stares at Chanyeol.

“I know she’s really good at games, Hyoyeon. I lost to her before that’s why I wanted to woo her.”

“You knew?!”

“Only you didn’t know. The whole university know who Sunny is. She’s our top-notched gamer. She represented our schools at computer gaming competitions before and won.”

Hyoyeon turned to look at Sunny. The girl gave her a sheepish smile.

“That’s so weird. You don’t even know your girlfriend’s popularity in school.  Don’t you love her?”

Sunny was about to speak up when Hyoyeon’s replies stunned her immediately.

“I just love the way she is; not at her popularity.”

“Really?”

Sunny then turned and looked at Chanyeol.

“And I love her for she is too. She’s beautiful inside out. At least she knows how to respect a girl.”

Hyoyeon’s heart skipped a beat.

*

“HYOYEONNNNNNNNNNNNN!”

“Huh?”

“Your hand is burnt! Why did you put hands around the hot pot?”

“Huh?”

Hyoyeon looked at her hands; they were burnt.  She quickly let go. She was daydreaming earlier on.

“I’ll rush you to the clinic. Let’s go!”

Sunny was panicking. She took special attention on Hyoyeon and even after the doctor said that the burnt wounds were superficial; Sunny insisted to do things for her.

“I’m fine, Sunny.”

“Just sit still. I’ll do everything for you.”

Hyoyeon looked on as Sunny moved around her room like as though she was familiar with it. She really took good care of her. Hyoyeon then had the wildest imagination.

What if Sunny is really her girlfriend?

Hyoyeon smiled to herself when she thought of it.

Warmth was seeding from the bottom of her heart.

Sunny, will you be mine?

Hyoyeon whispered softly in her heart.

*

Krystal and Seohyun were extremely exhausted after long hours of revision. Seohyun decided to make coffee so she excused herself and went to make two cups of coffee. Krystal was sleepy. She put her head down on the table. She wanted to take a quick power nap but she was too tired. She fell asleep instead.

Seohyun took the cups into the study room when she found Krystal sleeping with her face leaning sideways. She could hear the girl breathing softly.

“Am I pushing her too hard? She must be really tired.”

Seohyun decided to let her sleep. She put her two cups of coffee onto the table. She pulled out her chair quietly and sat beside Krystal. The room was a little cold and Krystal was wearing sleeveless t-shirt and shorts.

“Aren’t you cold?”

Seohyun mumbled to herself before going into Krystal’s room. She grabbed the blanket from her table and a book fell out. It was Krystal’s diary. Seohyun just wanted to pick it up and put aside when she saw her name.

Seohyun was curious but was taken aback when she realized what was written.

Seohyun unnie, I think I’m in love with you.

She didn’t expect that; especially not from Krystal.

“What am I supposed to do now?”

Seohyun was perplexed. Nevertheless she put the diary back onto the table and went out of the room. Krystal has shifted in her sleep. She was lying on the sofa instead. Seohyun stood at the foot of the bedroom door.

She was still holding onto the blanket tightly. She wasn’t too sure if she should pretend that she didn’t read it.

“Krystal, what am I supposed to do with you now?”

Seohyun felt uneasy.

*

“Soo Young, I’m sorry. It’s too sudden for me. I’m going now.”

“Yuri!”

“Don’t look for me. If you can, just stay away from me. I cannot be with you anymore.”

“What?”

“This is too sudden! I’m so confused.”

“Why are you confused? You like me don’t you?”

“Stop saying that! You keep putting those things into my head!”

Soo Young just stood there; staring at Yuri. Was she too aggressive?

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to make you feel like this.”

“Just don’t look for me anymore. We should stay away from each other for awhile.”

Yuri left Soo Young alone; in the middle of nowhere.

*

Soo Young was too upset with the sudden change of events. She thought she had hit the jackpot with Yuri but in truth, she was just pushing the girl away becaus she was too pushy.

Yuri was extremely confused and now she didn’t want to have anything to do with Soo Young. She tried calling Tiffany and Sunny but both didn’t answer their calls.

“Where the hell are they?”

Soo Young decided to head to the bar alone. Her friends were too busy to answer her calls. She sat at her favourite seat and the bartender seemed to recognise her well.

“Hey Soo!”

“Hi, Eunhyuk oppa.”

“The usual?”

“No, on the rocks please.”

“On the rocks? Woah~ that’s serious! What happened?”

“Girl stuff.”

“You dumped someone?”

Soo Young sighed. She was famous for being a player.

“No, it’s the othe way round.”

“WAH! I’m going to get busy tonight.”

“Yeah, it’s my first time to be dumped. I wouldn’t know what I should do.”

“Just stay at this place. Don’t move around. I’ll get you the alcohol.”

Eunhyuk disappeared behind the counter and took several small shot cups. Soo Young was really going to get drunk tonight.

“Kwon Yuri, why must it be you?”

Soo Young drank shot after shot; non-stop.

*

Yuri went back home instead of returning to her dorm. She was surprised to find Boa at home too.

“Why are you back so early?”

“Yunho is having a tough paper tomorrow. So he needs to study.”

“Wow, he’s actually a good boy.”

Boa rolled her eyes but she could see her sister was in deep thoughts. She looked troubled. She had to ask.

“What’s wrong with you? How does it go with Soo Young?”

Yuri frowned. Soo Young’s name irked her so much.

“Don’t mention her.”

“What did she do now?”

“She’s telling everyone that I’m her girlfriend.”

“Okay, so what is it?”

Yuri looked at her sister.

“What do you mean by what is it?”

“What’s bothering you so much?”

Yuri couldn’t answer her.

“You’re unhappy because she’s doing all this without your permission or you feel like she’s just being too pushy? I know you hate being pushed around.”

“I have no idea why I’m so upset.”

“Maybe you’re overreacted.”

“You really think so?”

“Yes, I think you have.”

Yuri just kept quiet.

“Yuri, maybe you’re upset because you think she’s not considering you while making decisions. You wanted to be part of it but Soo Young denied you.”

That was partly true.

“I think you like her. If not you wouldn’t be upset.”

“Huh?”

Boa smiled widely.

“My little sister, you really like Soo Young that much that it irks you that she’s making all the decisions without you.”

Yuri slapped her forehead really hard. She felt so dumb.

*

“Where are you going, baby?”

Tiffany was surprised that Yoona was heading to Jessica’s room.

“I’m going back to my room?”

“Your room?”

“Yeah, it’s at the end of the corridor.”

“Wait, is your roommate’s name Jessica?”

Yoona was stunned.

“How did you know, baby?”

Tiffany just looked on. Her baby was in love with her best friend – Jessica.

*

Jessica was clearing up her study table. She put her books on Yoona’s table when she saw some scribbles on Yoona’s note book.

She picked up and was stunned to see what was written.

Sica unnie, I guess my love for you will go unspoken. I hope you I could get over you. Wish you all the best with Taeyeon. Maybe my love was never meant to be.

“NO WAY! YOONA LIKES ME?!”

Jessica was stunned.

*