Chapter 19

Ignorant Brat

Seohyun returned to her dorm. Hyoyeon was sitting alone; staring into space. She didn’t have the intention to ask Hyoyeon about her silence. She just headed back to her room directly. Hyoyeon heard the door opening and saw Seohyun. But she had too many thoughts in mind to say anything. The two just stared at each other; nodded their heads before leaving each other alone for some privacy.

Seohyun threw her duffel bag onto the floor and jumped onto her bed. The images of Krystal and Sulli hooking arms really bothered her so much. She wondered if she did a mistake for leaving quietly and left Krystal to defend for herself.

Well, technically Krystal didn’t really confess. Maybe she was wrong about it. Or maybe she was just making a big hoo-ha over it.

“ARGHHH! CAN YOU JUST STOP THINKING OF KRYSTAL FOR ONCE?!”

She was yelling at her own self - her lovesick self. Suddenly she heard someone groaning in the living room. It was much louder than hers. Seohyun got up from her bed and went out of the room.

Hyoyeon was pulling her hair in agony.

“What’s wrong, unnie?”

“I hate myself.”

“Wow, that’s a strong statement.”

“I’m in trouble.”

“What kind of trouble?”

Hyoyeon looked up; she could finally see Seohyun up close and personal. The girl didn’t really well either.

“I have a girl trouble. What kind of trouble do you have?”

Seohyun was taken aback.

“Seohyun, wrinkles are showing on your forehead. You’re frowning while looking surprised now.”

Seohyun sighed and joined her roommate in the living room. She sat across Hyoyeon and puffed her cheeks up in frustration.

“I have girl trouble too.”

Hyoyeon’s eyes grew larger.

“Yes, yes. News Alert: Seohyun’s gay too.”

Seohyun rolled her eyes when Hyoyeon flashed her cheeky grin at her.

“Wow, I never knew you’re into girls.”

“I never knew either until now.”

“Wait, let me guess – your tuition kid.”

“How on earth..?”

“Wow, aren’t you e then?!”

“My tuition kid is just 2 years younger than me!”

“Oh. I’ve always thought your tuition kid is 10 years old.”

Seohyun rolled her eyes again.

“So you just realized you like her?”

“No, I found out from her diary.”

Hyoyeon gave that disapproval look.

“Why did you read her diary for?”

“I didn’t. It fell off from her bed and it opened to the page where she confused her feelings for me in her diary.”

“Wow, god’s sent!”

“What?”

“He wants you to read that part. He did it on purpose.”

“I guess so.”

Hyoyeon suddenly sat up straight.

“Is this the reason why you run and hide in your parents’ place?”

“I didn’t run and hide. I was just trying to figure it out.”

“So now u finally understood?”

“Yeah, and I regret it.”

“Why?”

“I think she has found someone else.”

“Are you sure?”

“Well, not exactly.”

“Then stop making assumptions.”

“That’s my bad habit.”

“Yes, as always – jumping into conclusions.”

“Fine, enough of me. You said you have girl trouble too. What’s the problem? You found someone?”

“Yes.”

Seohyun’s eyes grew large.

“And you know that person.”

“Who?”

“Sunny.”

“Woah.”

“But the girl trouble I’m having is not her.”

“o.O”

“My ex is back.”

“And...?”

“I had a hard time getting over her and now I’m confused.”

“You don’t!”

“I am.”

“Wow, you’re more screwed up than me.”

“Shut up.”

“What are you going to do now?”

“I have no idea. Can you tell me?”

“Are you kidding me? I have my tuition kid to worry about. I don’t even know if she still likes me.”

“Sigh, we are a bunch of screw-ups, aren’t we?”

“Yes, a bunch of nerd screw ups.”

Both girls sighed loudly.

*

Jessica was on her way to meet her Taeyeon when she was stopped by a group of girls. She recognized the girls – they were her old gang.

“How are you, Jessica Jung?”

Jessica smiled. She knew she was in trouble. She hasn’t been meeting up with them for weeks now.

“I’m fine.”

“Of course you are. You’ve found a lover.”

Jessica looked up instantly. It was a threat.

“Leave her alone.”

“Why should I? She took my girl away.”

Jessica swallowed hard. She knew it was not going to be that simple.

“Kahi unnie, I’m grateful for what you’ve done with me. But I told you before. I couldn’t love you the way you want me to. And I know you’ve been protecting me. But I’m really sorry. That’s only one thing that I couldn’t give to you.”

Kahi just smiled. She wasn’t too sure if she could accept that. She knows Jessica was a little different compared to her other girls. She’s smart. She doesn’t often get into trouble. But she did once – she was slashed by mistake and Kahi took revenge on the rival group. She implored Jessica to leave the group for awhile.  And Jessica did. Little that she knew, Jessica found someone else. If she knew it would cause a drift between her and Jessica, she wouldn’t let her go.

And now she found it difficult to let Jessica go. And her other girls demanded a fair treatment for Jessica – if she wants to leave the group, she has to bear the consequences. Kahi was torn between her loyalty and fairness towards her group and her love for Jessica.

But she decided to meet Jessica anyway. She misses the girl.

“You should know the consequences.”

“I know. I’ll bear it.”

“It might kill you.”

“I’ll do anything to keep my girlfriend away from harm.”

“Alright then, meet us tomorrow. We’ll settle this like how it should be.”

Jessica agreed. And she was not going to let Taeyeon know about this.

“I’m sorry, Tae. I have to do this on my own.”

The sacrifices Jessica did because out of love for Taeyeon.

*

Unfortunately, the one she was trying to protect saw the whole thing. She knew Jessica was involved with some gangs in the past. She knew because she saw the injuries on her arms before. She suspected that she was from a gang but it never stopped Taeyeon from falling in love.

Judging from the body language on Jessica, she knew Jessica must have tried to protect her. Taeyeon knew the consequences of being in a gang and to leave a gang, you have to “leave in the way the gangs perceive as a proper exit.”

And Taeyeon knew Jessica would keep it from her.

“Jessica Jung, you silly ice princess. You think I’ll let you face this alone? I’ll protect you Jessica.”

Taeyeon ran off to meet her friends.

*

“Ow?”

“Is Tiffany here?”

“No? She’s in class but ow?”

“What?”

“You stepped on my injured ankle?”

“IM SORRY!”

Taeyeon moved her feet away and Yoona smacked her forehead really hard.

“What’s the hurry?”

“It’s about Jessica.”

“What’s wrong with Jessica?”

Taeyeon told her everything that she has suspected earlier on.

“You saw her with them?”

“Jessica was panicking. And you know the rules for leaving the gang, right? We all know even if we’re not in one.”

“They will harm her?”

“I don’t know but I think they might. They look menacingly fierce especially the leader.”

“Okay, so what do you want to do?”

“I’m going to find out when they’re meeting her again. I’m sure they have set a date for such thing.”

“Alright, you keep me informed. I’ll get the girls’ help.”

“Do we need to call the police?”

“Not yet. Not now. But we’ll standby for that.”

“Thanks Yoona!”

“Sure, no problem.”

Then Taeyeon stopped smiling.

“You still like Jessica, right?”

Yoona stared at her.

“I know this is irrelevant.”

“You and your jealousy issues.”

“You’re prettier and taller than me!”

“Then in that case, for any future girlfriends in the future, you’ll get threatened by my presence.”

“Shut up. Jessica will be my last girlfriend anyway.”

“Wow, are you serious?”

“Yes, I love her. And I wish to last forever with her.”

“That’s good to know. But is Tiffany going to know about this too?”

“Don’t do it yet. I will let Jessica meet them but we’re going to follow her secretly.”

“Ok deal. I’ll talk to Yuri and the rest tonight.”

“Okay.”

Taeyeon got her back up team. Well, they may not be the best choice but at least she wasn’t alone. And at least if anything happens to her, someone else can save Jessica too.

“Sica, I’m not going to let you do this alone. I’ll protect you.”

Taeyeon was determined too.

*

“Oh? When is she meeting them? Oh, okay then. Let me know when. We should go together. But are we going to be fine?”

Soo Young was listening to Yuri’s conversation that was on the phone. She was lying on her baby’s lap; looking up and wondering why Yuri’s facial expressions were grim and serious.

“Okay, you must do that. I’ll see you later.”

She hung up and Soo Young was quick to ask.

“Who’s that?”

“That’s Yoona.”

“What’s wrong? You seemed worried.”

Yuri turned to look at Soo Young who was intently staring at her. She wondered if she should tell her girlfriend.

“Do you know Jessica well?”

“Jessica Jung?”

“Yeah, that’s the same person.”

“Tiffany knows her best. What’s wrong? Something happened to her?”

“Do you know about her involvement with outside people?”

“Ah, her gang?”

“So you know?”

“Wait, is she getting into trouble? Are you girls trying to be heroine?”

“No, sweetie. We’re just keeping a look out. Of course we will call the cops.”

Soo Young stared at Yuri before standing up. She then pulled the girl closer and hugged her tightly.

“I’m going too.”

Yuri turned to look at her.

“What?”

“I said I’m going. In fact, I’ll go wherever you’ll go.”

“Baby, it’s going to be dangerous.”

Soo Young looked at her.

“What do you mean by that?”

“You cannot run much.”

“YA~!”

Yuri grinned widely before giving a soft peck on Soo Young’s lips.

“Don’t worry, I’ll carry you.”

“Seriously?”

“Yes baby. I’m serious. You’ll be the first I’ll protect.”

Soo Young felt so much love from her girlfriend. She has never had such feeling before.

“I love you, Yuri.”

“I love you too.”

The couple embraced each other tightly.

*

Yoona waited for her girlfriend patiently. She examined her injured ankle and realized that the swelling has subsided.  She didn’t feel much pain anymore but the doctor asked to be careful. Furthermore, Tiffany would kill her if she injures it more.

“Baby!”

Yoona looked up to find Tiffany running towards her and Sunny was following her behind.

“Hi Sunny unnie.”

“Hello! So you’re Tiffany’s prince.”

“Huh? Ah, yes.”

“Please take good care of this babycake. She can get really annoying at times.”

Tiffany made faces at Sunny before hugging her new love tightly. She then whispered softly in Tiffany’s ears.

“Oh? Really?”

“Yeah, this person here has a girlfriend. Her name is Hyoyeon.”

“Aish! Tiffany Hwang!”

“You’re Hyoyeon unnie’s girlfriend?”

“Yeah, she is now.”

“Oh, that’s great!”

“And you know what; Soo Young and Yuri are together too!”

Tiffany continued to inform Yoona who was completely oblivious about everything.

“Wow, so everyone has a partner?”

“Yeah, sort of.”

“This is awesome. We could just group-date easily.”

Tiffany and Sunny agreed. Suddenly Yoona saw Yuri running towards her; together with Soo Young behind her.

The other two girls looked on when Yuri crashed into Yoona instantly. She couldn’t stop in time much to Tiffany’s annoyance. Soo Young pulled her girlfriend up and Tiffany stood in front of Yoona.

“What’s wrong with you?”

“I saw Taeyeon following behind Jessica.”

“And?”

“I saw Jessica was surrounded by a group of girls. Taeyeon’s hiding behind the pillar.”

“What?!”

“I wanted to stay but Yuri didn’t allow me. So she ran all the way back here to inform you.”

Soo Young quipped in.

“What’s happening to Jessica?”

Tiffany was confused. Yoona has yet to inform her but this time she didn’t have much choice.

“Jessica’s old gang came to find her.  If she wishes to leave the group, she has to go through that “farewell ceremony.””

“What kind of ceremony?”

Tiffany knew the truth but she just wanted to be confirmed.

“Tiffany, she will get beaten up until the group is happy.”

Soo Young was untactful about that and Yuri kneed her in her back. But Tiffany nodded; she knew.

“So what are we waiting for?”

“Tiffany, it’s dangerous.”

“No way, I’m not going to let you go and remain behind. We’re all in this together. Jessica’s my best friend.”

Yoona hesitated but Tiffany was determined to go. Just then Hyoyeon and Seohyun happened to walk past and Yuri called out to her. Hyoyeon was guilty when she saw Sunny but nevertheless agreed to go together when they found out the truth.

“Let’s go. Yuri, call the police now.”

Yuri made the call as they rushed to where Taeyeon was hiding at that moment.

*

Sunny was wondering why Hyoyeon was avoiding her. She called her earlier on but Hyoyeon said she was busy. She was busy with her project with Seohyun. But earlier on, Seohyun accidentally blurted out that she was from the library and Hyoyeon was from home.

“Hyoyeon, are you alright?”

Sunny wanted to know the truth. Hyoyeon’s truth was unfolded and she knew she couldn’t run away. Sunny was following her from behind and she held on to Hyoyeon’s arm tightly.

“Hyoyeon, tell me.”

The girls went ahead of them. They could sense the tension between Hyoyeon and Sunny.  They walked briskly; leaving a huge gap between the distance from them and the couple.

“Sunny..”

“What’s wrong? Are you having second thoughts about us?”

Hyoyeon shook her head.

“Then what’s wrong? Why are you suddenly so cold to me? And I could sense that you’re avoiding me.”

“I’m not avoiding you. I was just confused after I received some news.”

“What news?”

“Sunny, I’ve never told you the reason for my ex girlfriend’s departure.”

“You still like her?”

“No, it’s not that. She’s coming home now. And I was confused for a moment. It took me awhile to let her go and when I finally learnt to do so, and you came into my life, she had to return.”

“So you’re having second thoughts.”

“Sunny, please don’t say it that way.”

“Hyoyeon, do you need some time to re-think about this?”

Hyoyeon looked at Sunny. She felt heartache deep down inside.

“Sunny..”

“Don’t worry; I’ll accept any decision you made. It didn’t hurt that much.”

“You lied. I can see the tears in your eyes.”

Hyoyeon was coming forward to wipe them off but Sunny turned away.

“Don’t worry about me; I’ll be fine. Let’s go. The girls are getting further than us and Jessica might be in trouble now.”

Sunny ran off and left Hyoyeon behind. The other girl kept smacking her forehead.

“Stupid! Stupid! What did I do?!”

Hyoyeon was flabbergasted.

*

“You came.”

Kahi was surprised Jessica came. She suddenly got worried. Her girls wouldn’t let Jessica off since she left without saying anything.

“Yes, I’m ready.”

“You have the guts to come, Jessica.”

Jungah was smirking away. Kahi bit her lower lip. This was not supposed to happen. She never thought Jessica would come. As expected, Jessica was worth her love. She wouldn’t want to put Kahi into a difficult position.

“But I have a favour.”

“We don’t do favours.”

Jungah replied but Kahi stopped her. She knew what it would be.

“To leave your girlfriend alone?”

“Yes. She has nothing gotta do with this.”

“You love your girlfriend a lot, don’t you?”

Kahi wished Jungah wouldn’t ask that. Jessica looked up and found Kahi’s wandering eyes. She could only smile; not wanting to hurt Kahi’s heart.

“But you know rules are rules.”

Jungah wasn’t going to agree to it but Kahi brushed her aside.

“I promise you. We won’t hurt your girlfriend.”

“Unnie, are you crazy?”

“Her girlfriend is not a gang rival or anything.”

“Unnie, you love her like crazy but she still hurts you!”

“It doesn’t have anything to do with you. What I feel for Jessica is on my own doing.”

Jungah scoffed. She knew about Kahi’s special treatment towards Jessica. And she wasn’t happy about that.

“Jessica, I promise you. We won’t touch your girlfriend.”

Kahi was staring at Jungah; despite her having so much say; Jungah wasn’t as powerful as Kahi.

“Just do what you want to me.”

“Jessica, are you sure about this?”

“I know I’ll get into trouble ever since I joined this group. I really appreciate your protectiveness and I know you’ve been watching over me for so long.”

“Jessica, it’s my job.”

“But Kahi unnie, I’m only considered a rookie in this group. But you favour me more over Jungah unnie. Don’t you realize that Jungah unnie takes good care of you more often than I do?”

Jungah quickly turned to look at Jessica.

“Ya~”

“Jungah unnie, I know why you’re with her all the time. You love her.”

“Shut up!”

“It’s the truth! You don’t have to deny it!”

“I said shut up!”

Jungah gave a hard strike on Jessica’s face. The latter’s nose immediately bled.

“You don’t have to right to say anything!”

She strike again. And this time the other girls joined in. Kahi just looked on; she didn’t have much to stop them.

“I’m sorry, Jessica.”

*

Taeyeon looked on; her heart thumping like crazy. When she saw Jessica was pushed down to the floor, she rushed in.

“JESSICA!”

*

“There, Taeyeon!”

“Wait, where she going?”

“She’s running to Jessica.”

“YA! KIM TAEYEON!”

The rest of the girls ran towards them as well.

It was chaos.

*

Krystal and Sulli were having lunch nearby when they heard a huge commotion. Sulli was facing the group of girls when she saw Seohyun.

“Eh? Why is she running towards the crowd?”

“Who is the she?”

“Seohyun, your tutor.”

“What?!”

Krystal turned to find Seohyun and her friends running to someone. Seohyun was panicking.

“Is she in trouble?”

“Let’s go!”

“Where are we going?!”

“We follow her!”

Krystal ran while dragging Sulli along.

*