Chapter 1 - Roommates

Ignorant Brat

It was the first day of college.  Today would embark her first day of independence from her parents. She was going to live in a dorm near to the school. Her father thought it would be a good experience. The girl was just excited to have her own space.

“Im Yoona!”

“Here!”

“Jessica Jung!”

No answer.

“JESSICA JUNG!”

Still, nobody acknowledged.

“JUNG SOO YEON!”

“Shut up.”

Finally someone appeared from behind. Yoona turned to find a girl with the most super icy cold look; staring back at her. She turned away.

“Okay, the two of you are roommates. This is your key to your room. Have fun!”

“What? Wait! I have to share my room with her?”

“Yes, she’s a year older than you. And she’s your senior too. You two will get along well together.”

The attendant just gave Yoona a goofy smile before turning her back on her. She was more eager to finish her job and allocating the students accordingly. Yoona was stunned for a moment.

“Are you coming or what?”

Yoona turned.

“If you’re not coming, give me the key.”

Jessica was about to snatch it away but Yoona pulled it back.

“I’m going. Let’s go.”

Yoona reached out for her luggage and pushed it behind her. The girl was just carrying her duffel bag. She walked in the weirdest manner.  Yoona didn’t really care much. She was more concerned with the room.

Room 101-A.

Yoona poked the key in and turned the lock. It opened instantly. And the other girl was already pushing the door wide open. Yoona came in behind her.

“Choose your bed.”

The girl was really cool. She looked almost disinterested in everything else. Yoona chose the one nearer to the window.

“Okay, then this is mine.”

She threw her duffel bag onto the bed and walked around the room. Yoona was watching her. She looked on as the girl inspected the room thoroughly. She even the air con to see if it was working. It worked.

“Okay, this room seems good.”

Yoona didn’t say anything. She just looked on. The girl turned to her.

“Are you interested in me?”

“Huh? No!”

“Why are you staring at me since just now?”

“Nothing, I was just curious.”

“Curious about?”

“You’re my senior, right?”

“Yeah, so?”

“Why are you sharing a room with me then?”

“I repeated my first year.”

“Oh.”

“I slept during my examinations.”

The girl didn’t say much after that; she just grabbed her wallet and took one key from the door. There were two keys – one for her and one for Yoona. She tossed one over to Yoona.

“I’m hardly home. I’ll be out most of the time. Don’t have to worry about me. And my name is Jessica. Bye!”

She left quickly; leaving Yoona bewildered.

*

Yoona slowly got the hang of longer hours of each lesson that she had to attend to. She was enjoying them. And she had completely forgotten about her bizarre roommate. True to her words, she hasn’t seen her yet; not even in campus.

She made few friends mainly Taeyeon, Yuri, Hyoyeon and Seohyun. They were close.

“Ya, scoot in!”

Hyoyeon was screaming at Seohyun to move in. The girl gave Hyoyeon a glare before pushing her books in. Hyoyeon was smiling sheepishly.

“Thank you!”

“Rude.”

Hyoyeon was undaunted. She continued to terrorize Seohyun. Yoona didn’t want to get involved. Taeyeon was yawning away and Yuri was getting hyper.

“Yuri, sit down.”

The girl obeyed but not for long. She scooted off when she saw some familiar classmates coming in. Yoona sighed.

“She just couldn’t keep still.”

“Ignore her, Yoona. She will return to our side once she’s done.”

Yoona turned to see her friend who was still happily chatting with the other girls in the class when suddenly she saw a familiar figure; sitting at the corner with her eyes closed.

“JESSICA?!”

Yoona screamed silently in her head.

*

Jessica was with bandages all over her arms. Yoona kept looking back; but the girl was still sitting there with her eyes closed.

“What the hell is that girl doing?”

Yoona was curious. But she turned back to her lecture; she tried to concentrate. And Yoona was a diligent student. She could keep her eyes on the screen for the longest time. She’s the smartest among her siblings.

The well-deserved break came and the class was dismissed for a short 15 minute break. Most of them rushed out of the lecture halls; Yuri and Hyoyeon were the first to disappear. Taeyeon just couldn’t stand them.

“Look at them!”

“I’m getting used to it.”

“Yoona, are you leaving?”

“In a minute.”

“We’re going now. I’m gonna grab some coffee. Do you want some?”

“Sure, get me a cup. I’ll join you shortly.”

Yoona was waiting for her friends to leave before she decided to approach Jessica. But she was missing.

“Eh? Where did she go?”

Yoona quickly left the hall as well. She saw her friends crowding around at a bench with some guys. They waved at her and she was pointing to the washroom. She quickly ran towards the toilets. Yoona entered the toilet and was shocked to find a trail of blood on the floor. Yoona wondered if it was safe to come in when she heard a whine at the end of the toilet. There was a gush of blood at the front of the door. Yoona hesitated but concerned with that injured person.

“Hey, are you in there?”

The whining stopped.

“Are you alright? I saw blood on the toilet floor. Do you need help?”

There was no answer but Yoona couldn’t leave.

“Hey, if you need help, just let me know. I can help you.”

Suddenly the door opened and Yoona came face to face with her missing roommate.

“Jessica?”

“I’m fine.”

Jessica walked past her but Yoona caught her hand. She winced and Yoona quickly let go.

“I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay.”

“What happened to you? Are you injured?”

“I’m fine.”

She insisted but Yoona wasn’t buying it. She turned her attention to Jessica’s arms instead. There were red patches on her upper forearm.

“You’re bleeding.”

Yoona didn’t wait for Jessica to reply. She just carried the girl on her back. To her surprise, the girl didn’t retaliate. She ran past her friends who were surprised to find Yoona running away with a girl on your back.

“Who’s that?!”

“Hey, I need to go. She’s injured. Can you let the lecturer know? I’ll come back to take my stuff.”

Yoona ran off after that brief explanation; leaving her friends even more confused.

*

Yoona rushed Jessica to the doctor. She was treated for her wounds and Yoona paid for her medicine. Yoona saw Jessica’s wounds but she didn’t ask. Those were slashing wounds; they were deep and gory but Jessica was reluctant to speak further. So Yoona left it as that.

They made their way back to their dorm. Yoona was helping Jessica and settled her down on her bed. Jessica was slightly taken aback to find pink bedsheet on her bed.

“I’m sorry. I thought I should do something about the room and your bed. Don’t worry; I just cleaned up around the area and changed your bedsheet.”

Jessica didn’t answer but merely nodded. Yoona pulled out her blanket and put it over Jessica’s body.

“Grab some sleep. I’ll cook something for you.”

The older girl nodded and she fell asleep almost immediately. Yoona looked on with curiosity. Jessica’s weird in her own ways. She hardly talks. She sleeps so easily and she’s always looking sullen and gloomy.

“Sleep tight, Jessica.”

Yoona mumbled softly.

*

“Who’s that girl?”

Taeyeon came over to Yoona’s room. She helped Yoona to bring her back her bag and books. She saw Yoona earlier on with a girl. She was curious as well.

“She’s my room mate.”

“Oh? How come I have never seen her before?”

“She’s hardly around. This is the first time I saw her again since the first day of school.”

“Really?”

“Yup, and she’s injured. I didn’t get to ask much. She didn’t look too good to me.”

“Okay, anyway I have made copies of my notes. You might want to share with her.”

“Thanks, Taeyeon! You’re the best!”

“Of course I am!”

Yoona grinned and then continued to stir her noodles. She was cooking for Jessica. Taeyeon was hungry. And the noodles looked tempting.

“Yoona, are you going to eat this?”

“This is for Jessica.”

“Jeshka? Who is Jeshka?”

“It’s Jessica. And she’s my roommate.”

“Okay. Aren’t you going to eat too?”

Yoona turned to Taeyeon. She was staring at the noodles intently.

“This is for Jessica. I’ll cook for you later.”

Taeyeon’s eyes lighted up immediately.

“THANK YOU!”

Taeyeon leapt onto Yoona’s back; the taller girl struggled.

“YA!”

Taeyeon turned into a dork out of sudden.

*

“Fany, I’m fine.”

Jessica was staring at the wall with the phone on her left ear. Someone was reprimanding her on the phone but it didn’t piss Jessica off. Her best friend was just another worry-wart.

“You don’t have to come. I just got back from the doctor.”

Jessica’s fingers were twirling the phone cord around.

“This new girl who is my roommate; she saw me in the toilet and dragged me to the doctor.”

Jessica gasped.

“Fany, you don’t have to do that. I’ll see you tomorrow, okay? I promise.”

She rolled her eyes.

“Yes Tiffany Hwang. I promise. I’ll turn up at our meeting. Don’t worry so much, okay?”

Jessica hung up after she managed to pacify her one and only friend, Tiffany Hwang.  Jessica was a difficult student in school and a problematic child at home. After her mother’s death, Jessica lost her sense of direction in life and her father turned into a drunkard over the years. Her younger sister, Krystal was no better. She left the house at a very young age and Jessica had lost contact with her totally.

The only one person who still believes in her was her childhood best friend. Tiffany Hwang never stops giving up in Jessica. She knew Jessica was going through a difficult period when her mother died.  Jessica was just grateful to have Tiffany by her side that actually still cares for her.

“Jessica?”

She looked up to find her new roommate with a tray in her hands. She just nodded.

“I’ve cooked some noodles. Eat it before taking your medicine.”

Jessica watched as the new girl carefully placed the bowl of hot noodles in front of her. The girl put the chopsticks in Jessica’s hands before excusing herself. Jessica was still staring at the cup of noodles.

“It has been quite some time since someone cooked for me.”

Jessica managed a small smile; her heart turned warm at the thought of Yoona. At least, there was another person who cares for her besides Tiffany.

*