The Real Introduction Pt. 1

An American Girl

alright so i'm soooo sorry i haven't updated in a long time...one word - College -_-...it's all the energy outta me

so since i'm having writer's block i'm going to split this LOOOONG chapter into halves (as far as I can tell atm but if it gets any longer i might have to make it thirds :O)

once again, i'm soo sorry it's taken me this long to update..if any of you were wanting to hear more of this story ^^

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

It took quite a long time for both Sungjong to make an edible meal – he was used to Woohyun and Hoya cooking – as well as the rest of the boys to wake from their slumber.  Myungsoo opened the door between his bedroom with Dongwoo and the living room; it startled him to see Helen.  She was sitting in between Hoya and Jungryul.  Hoya was playing with the layers of Helen’s dress; he liked watching the chiffon float back down after he’d lifted it in the air.  Helen was watching the television, intently staring at the news anchor.  “Three men were killed in an alleyway near the Hongdae markets.  Their possessions have led local police authorities to dig deeper into the recent gang activity taking place in this area.  Please look forward to more a more safe nightlife in Hongdae.”  Jungryul was talking quietly on the phone, not caring about the news report as he made plans with the company to give the boys more schedules. 

Myungsoo didn’t say anything but he took a seat on the couch, lying across it with his head near Hoya.  The two boys acknowledged each other silently with a slight nod of the head before Hoya returned to his activities.  Myungsoo tried to pay attention to the television but was bored with it quickly.  “Ya, Helen…how can you watch this stuff?” Myungsoo groaned as he stretched between Hoya and Helen for the remote, blocking Hoya from his actions.

She caught his wrist as he picked up the remote, surprising Myungsoo.  “Hold on.” Helen spoke assertively as she leaned in towards the TV. 

The TV was still discussing the lead story – the three dead in Hongdae.  They had reporters on location of the crime scene and were explaining the story in more detail.  Myungsoo turned his attention to the TV as well.  “What?” He asked but Helen didn’t respond; she was too focused on the crime scene.

Helen’s eyes were scanning the background behind the reporter – the area surrounded in yellow, police caution tape.  It was her training to be able hypothesizes many scenarios just upon the “look” of the scene.  The cameraman had zoomed in on the reporter’s face; this camera technique allowed Helen to see a better view of the scene.  It wasn’t hard for her to piece together Hyun’s bloody appearance last night, at dinner, with the homicide of three gang members.  It was a simple, mundane job for Madacorp to assign, and it was not unlike them to get involved in petty criminals.  Madacorp had no gray area on criminals – it was just yes, or no.  If this gang, in particular, had been causing trouble and Madacorp had noticed them on their radar it was only a matter of when Madacorp would take action – they liked to deal with all matters ASAP but occasionally small matters did get pushed to the back burner…or given to a dropped Elite, such as Hyun. However, work like this wasn’t considered demoralizing for any Madacorp officer – Elite or not; Helen wondered why Hyun hadn’t invited her along.

The blood smears on the concrete walls behind the reporter and the crime scene tape would’ve been invisible to an inexperienced eye; Helen saw it immediately and her heart raced with the thought of a fight.  She leaned forward on her knuckles, dropping her grip on Myungsoo, and clenched her jaw tight.  She was searching for more clues as to what happened in that alley.  “Hey…common…” Hoya reached up to her shoulder and gently pulled her back against the couch, trying to comfort her.  “You shouldn’t be watching this stuff.”

His words made Helen smirk.  “After everything you heard last night, you still think I shouldn’t even watch the news?”

“What happened?”  Myungsoo interrupted, curious.

“Ya, Hyung, can you go wake the others?” Sungjong was standing next to the TV propping a stack of plates against his hip.  Helen thanked him with her eyes letting him know she had a huge debt to repay him later.  Sungjong winked in reply.  Without saying anything else he returned to his work in the kitchen and began humming a random song.

Jungryul stood up to leave the room; plugging his left ear and holding the cell phone to the other he stepped outside the apartment.  Hoya watched the door click closed before he glanced at Helen; she was still deeply fascinated by the new report.  He could tell she was focused on it.  Hoya looked towards the kitchen and watched Sungjong busily pace about – sometimes Sungjong would stomp his foot or pull at his hair in frustration.  Hoya moved to stand up but Helen reached over and put a soft hand on his knee.  “Wait.” Her gaze was still fixed upon the TV but he could tell she was serious.  Hoya sat back down and watched her, waiting.

Eventually the anchor man returned, moving on to the next subject and Helen removed her hand from Hoya’s leg.  She was more comfortable around Hoya now and she looked at him kindly.  “I’ll tell you everything.”  At her words Hoya’s eyes went wide.  Is she being serious?  Hoya couldn’t speak.  “I’ll tell you everything…once I know what’s going on.”  Helen laughed, turning off the TV and standing on her feet.  Hoya stumbled to do the same as she walked into the kitchen – she knew what needed to be done immediately and she helped Sungjong without any complaints or questions.  Hoya joined in but stayed silent while the other two laughed and made small-talk. 

Myungsoo had gone back to bed when the three had finished cooking the large breakfast and Jungryul re-entered the apartment.  He sighed, closing his phone and then looked up to view the three “kids” working hard and rushing about the kitchen – Hoya was sliding an omelet onto a plate; Helen would take it once he was finished and set it on the table.  Sungjong was pouring milk and juices into cups and counting utensils.  Jungryul approached Helen as she set down a plate on the table; “About your room…” he started. 

Her eyes darted up to meet his.  It was the first time he wasn’t sure if they had the same idea.  “I can call and cancel it but…” Helen hoped Jungryul understood where she was going.

“Is there stuff in that room?” Jungryul emphasized his words trying to hint and ask if she had any material in the room that would link her to Madacorp.

“Aniyo.  Just clothes and toiletries.  Everything else…the other stuff is with me.”  She tapped her pocket which outlined a cell phone. 

“Arraso.  I’ll go pick up your stuff and check you out of the room.” Jungryul nodded and started to turn towards the door.

“Appa!” she raised her voice, alarmed.  “You can’t.”  Sungjong and Hoya pretended not to hear anything.  “Hyun already knows which room is mine.”  Hoya winced.  She wouldn’t even let us come up there. He balled his hands into fists and threw his spatula into the cluttered sink.  Helen didn’t notice, “I’ll get my stuff on my own.”  Helen looked at the set table.  “Will you be here when I get back?” Her voice whispered – slightly in fear and pleading.

“Of course.”  Jungryul patted her on her shoulder.  She nodded and walked passed him without saying anything to Hoya or Sungjong.

Jungryul watched her leave before looking at the boys.  “Hyung…?” Sungjong tilted his head at Jungryul.

“Ye?”

“Will she be ok?” Hoya finished for Sungjong.

Jungryul smiled.  These boys had only known Helen for a few days and yet they were as worried about her as he was himself.  It’s amazing how much power she has over us and she doesn’t even realize what she’s doing.