The Arrest

An American Girl

 

Hoya was on the edge of his seat, cringing desperately as he watched Helen smile flirtatiously at the man across from her.  What’s she doing with three men?  What type of job is this?!  He was frustrated not only because Helen had left seven idols without a single “good-bye” but more because Jungryul had obviously lied to him.  Hoya couldn’t take his eyes off of her; his palms began to sweat and he breathed through his nose. 

“Hyung…?”  Sungjong had tilted his head towards Hoya; it was strange to see Hoya this quiet and he was concerned it had something to do with Helen. 

Hoya turned his head back to his table, shaking his head and trying to tell Sungjong nothing was wrong.  He grabbed his water and took a large gulp.  He still watched Helen out the corner of his eye; she smiled and laughed, placing a gentle hand on top of the man’s hand.  Hoya coughed, choking on his water and Sungjong patted him on his back.  “Hyung, really…this is too much.  What’s wrong?”  Sungjong confronted Hoya a second time.

Hoya set his cup down on the table, splashing the remaining water onto the table as he glared at Sungjong.  “Helen.”  He pointed over his shoulder, diagonally towards her table and Sungjong’s eyes went saucer-wide.

 

Helen made a bold movement as Park Song had begun to glance at Jin Hyun and his own business partner.  Jin Hyun had kicked her under the table, getting her attention to intervene.  Helen dropped a delicate, soft hand on top of Park Song’s and that did the trick.  He glanced down at their connection with a drunken smile plastered to his face and winked at Helen; she batted her eyes at him in return and he shoved food into his mouth, speaking at the same time. 

Suddenly Park Song’s phone rang and Helen saw Jin Hyun glance at the man out of the corner of his eye.  Park Song’s hand left Helen’s as he reached into his pocket and pulled out his phone.  He answered the call and stood up, holding a finger towards Helen and apologizing as he hurried towards the restroom of the restaurant.  Jin Hyun lost his business composure and leaned over; whispering in her ear, “Follow him.”  She nodded, folding her cloth napkin on her dish and scooting her chair back; she nodded at the employees as she passed them on her way to the restroom. 

Hoya was still watching Helen and excused himself as well, following after her.  Sungjong called after Hoya to stop him but it was too late.  “What’s up with him?” Sunggyu nudged Sungjong.

“I don’t know.”  Sungjong replied, pushing pork into his mouth so that he couldn’t answer Sunggyu’s questions.

 

Hoya watched as Helen signaled the employees to leave the area near the restrooms; as they filed out of the small hallway they caught Hoya by the shoulders.  “Son-nim,” he bowed, “the restrooms are currently being cleaned.”  Hoya looked over the waiters shoulder and saw Helen creeping along the wall until she got to the men’s restroom door; she reached to her leg and lifted her dress to her thigh; Hoya’s eyes went wide when he saw the small pistol fall into her hands.  Helen pushed the door open with her shoulder and Hoya pushed passed the waiter.

 

There were a number of things Helen expected and didn’t expect when she entered the restroom to arrest Park Song.  It was a common drill she had practiced years ago, during her trainee years at Madacorp.  She imagined that Park Song would be standing at the urinal, completely surprised by Helen, and would call truce immediately.  However, the event did not turn out like Helen had planned:  Hoya had not been added into the equation; Park Song was not standing at the urinal but behind the door instead, waiting for Helen, with his own loaded, heavy pistol.

 

Hoya caught the door just as it was about to close; he saw Helen topple to the ground, unconscious.  The man she had been eating with spun around from behind the door, not expecting to see Hoya; slamming into his shoulder he tripped and fell to the ground.  The impact gave the man a broken nose while blood dripped onto the floor.  Hoya had been taken by surprise but reacted quickly before Park Song could get off the ground.  Hoya grabbed the man by his suit’s collar, pinning him to the floor while.  Employees began to wonder if they were misinformed and raced to explain the situation to Jin Hyun and his companion at the table.

The restaurant had become quiet as costumers listened to doors being slammed and watched employees rush around.  Jin Hyun and his company rose from their table and headed towards the back hallway. 

Hoya was breathing hard as he restrained Park Song.  Someone touched him on the shoulder and he pinched Park Song around his neck and dug his knee into the man’s lower spine; Park Song howled out in pain, gaining the entire restaurants attention.  People were getting suspicious and began to set down their utensils, trying to peer around into the hallway near the restrooms.  Infinite was part of this majority as they begun to ask where Hoya had gone.  Sungjong answered, rather quickly, that he had taken a phone call outside; believing his lie the members and Jungryul began to eat their meal.

Jin Hyun gripped Hoya’s shoulder and pulled him off of Park Song in a swift, fluid movement; their weight matched equally but their strength did not.  Hyun put his arm on Hoya’s chest, blocking him from attacking again.  They made eye contact; Hyun was calm and steady while Hoya clenches his fists, glaring at Hyun.  Jin Hyun didn’t take his eyes off of Hoya as he inspected him with great detail; he applied more pressure to Hoya’s chest and used his free hand to push open the men’s restroom door.  He cringed and Hoya followed Hyun’s gaze.  Hoya twitched slightly, wanting to move and help Helen but Jin Hyun was quicker and remained in his position as his eyes fixed on Hoya again, daring him.  Hoya relaxed under Hyun’s grip.

Jin Hyun nodded towards the man whom he’d been speaking with at the table, “Joon.”

The man stepped forward, picking up Park song from the ground with one hand while kicking the loaded gun into a corner.  “You are under arrest for smuggling weapons of mass destruction into South Korea from North Korea.  Please remain silent.”  Joon frisked park song and finding nothing else he reached between his coat and shirt pulling out handcuffs; Park Song winced as he heard the cold metal click into place.  Joon reached for the gun, switching the safety on and tucking it into his belt; he exchanged glances with Jin Hyun and exited the building.

Hearing the door swing closed, Jin Hyun unpinned Hoya and entered the men’s restroom.  He picked up Helen, whose body lazily fell into his grasp.  had been cut and bled onto his white, silk shirt.  He passed Hoya in the hallway; watching him as he walked by. Hoya was speechless as the employees scurried around his frozen body.  To say the least, he was astonished.

Trying to understand the past events made him even more confused as the details began to blur together; he tried to remember names and faces but was interrupted when a waitress approached him, “Son-nim?”  Hoya picked his head up and looked at the person; he raised his eyebrows and showed the employee a blank face.  “Son-nim…if you could please return to your seat…”  The waitress pointed towards the blood on the floor.  He still couldn’t believe what had happened as he tip-toed passed other employees.  Even the manager of the restaurant, who was standing at the entrance of the hallway, nodded at Hoya almost as if they had an understanding.  The look he was given warned him not to say anything about what he’d seen; Hoya didn’t look back as he stumbled back to Infinite’s table.

When Hoya returned to his seat he quickly reached for his glass of water; it spilt as he brought it up to his mouth but he couldn't tell; his whole body was numb and nerveless.  He was absolutely sure someone had seen something and was going to question him about it, but the only reaction he was given was Sungjong eying him suspiciously.  He was soon caught off-guard by a question from Woohyun who sat on the far side of the table.  It seemed as though everyone had forgotten about the disturbance in the back room as well as Hoya’s timely return; apparently no one had seen Helen being carried out of the restaurant, unconscious. 

However, there was one person who caught Hoya’s attention.  Something glistened in these eyes until they swelled and dropped a tear onto the table.  It was as if someone had finally cleaned a dusty window; Hoya could read a story of sorrow, confusion and knowledge untold on those canvas eyes.  The glass still shook as Hoya set it on the table but his eyes were steady as he watched his manager cry silently.