The Movie-Night

An American Girl

 

The boys were normally very tired after any performances as Helen watched them collapse on the apartment floor.  She laughed, a calming tune for the boys’ ears, as she watched Jungryul tip-toe around a maze of bodies.

                Sunggyu was the first one to take responsibility as he helped Jungryul unpack the bags from the van; eventually the movement woke up some of the others and they started to organize their personal items.  It was during this time that Sunggyu took Jungryul aside, “Hyun…is she really going to stay here?  I mean Ji Ae was only here once a week…how long will Helen need to be staying with us?”

                Jungryul set the bags down on the sidewalk, “I don’t think she’ll be staying in the dorms and I wouldn’t expect you or any of the other to want her to either.  I won’t even ask her to spend the night, tonight, if you all agree it’s too cramped.”  It was hard for Jungryul to say this; part of him wanted to yell at Sunggyu for being so selfish but then he also wondered how “thrilled” Helen would be when she had to stay with seven boys…again.  “I’ll talk to her.”  Jungryul patted Sunggyu on the shoulder and bet down to pick up the duffle bags. 

                Sunggyu stopped him one more, “Well maybe she could stay for a little while…right?”  It seemed as if Sunggyu realized he had been harsh and regretted his former actions.

                “Text the boys and get a vote – how about that?”  Jungryul offered.  Helen was definitely very important to him but Jungryul knew that she would understand that this was his job and these boys would need to come first.  Sunggyu nodded, pulling out his phone and sending a message to all of the boys.

                Sungjong and Hoya had been sorting through their own bags of concert clothes and fan gifts when they got the text.  [Should Helen stay in the dorms for…a while?  Should we let her stay for one night or ask her to leave after we hang out?]  Hoya threw his phone at the wall; it shut off.  Sungjong replied to the text.  [Hyung that was a bit harsh…]  The other boys were also in the “chat” on their own phones and began texting their opinions back and forth.  Sungjong suggested they let her spend the night as did Sungyeol but Myungsoo and Dongwoo were having a hard time giving up their room.  The debate continued for half an hour during which Helen and Jungryul had gone to buy a tub of ice cream.

               The final decision was not just one person’s idea but a collaboration of thoughts that all of Infinite had agreed upon, excluding Hoya.  Everyone had retired back to their rooms and hadn’t heard Helen enter the kitchen; she found a package of sharpies and began writing each boys name down, each in a different color on a plastic spoon.  It was the first time she would openly admit to being cute as she drew bugs, flowers and hearts on the handles of the spoons.

                Jungryul had informed her of Sunggyu’s concern of space in the dorm during their walk to the market; Helen had abruptly changed direction, quickening her pace she found the nearest hotel – she paid for herself for a week.  Helen led the way back to market, having settled that matter, where she also paid for the ice cream.  Jungryul didn’t say much but Helen knew he was proud of her; even when dealing with what could’ve been a sensitive subject on deciding whether she could crash in Infinite’s dorms.  She handled problems well and efficiently; this wasn’t something Madacorp had taught her and Jungryul smiled seeing a little essence of him in Helen.  Besides, Jungryul had been right, Helen hadn’t wanted to stay with seven young men – idols or not.

                Helen knocked lightly on the door marked “Sungyeol Hoya Sungjong”.  No one answered so Jungryul reach around Helen, pushed open the door, grabbed the other member’s spoons and shoved Helen inside; he closed the door behind her.  Appas grown impatient over the years…  Helen joked to herself.  “Helen?” a groggy voice sounded above her; Sungjong rubbed his eyes like a baby.  Hoya heard her name and threw the pillow off of his head and sat up quickly; when he went to stand he just barely missed his head on a wooden support beam.  SUngyeol rose up, pushing blankets aside slowly, like a zombie.  Hoya pushed passed her; touching her shoulder for balance as he flicked on the main light.  Sungyeol and Sungjong groaned in pain as Hoya returned to standing at his bunk.  Helen said nothing as she held up three spoons for the boys to stare at.  Sungyeol reached for his first; Hoya was last.

                “What are these for?”  SUngjong questioned as he inspected the pictures she had personally drawn.

                “Jungryul bought you ice cream.”  Helen lied.

                Hoya eyed her suspiciously, “Did you draw this?”  He held up his spoon.

                Helen laughed; she could see the purple dinosaur figure on the spoon from where she stood.  “Umm…anyways…” she teased, changing the subject.

                Sungyeol laughed and climbed down from his bunk.  “Gaja.”  He motioned for her to leave first, putting his palm on the small of her back and pushing her out of their messy room and into the living room.  There was a large, one gallon tub of metropolitan ice cream sitting on the table in front of the small couch.  Infinite was pleased; when Jungryul bought them these things after a long day of work it proved to them that they had done well enough to impress Jungryul.  The three boys took their seats around the table and began eating.  Eventually Jungryul was able to wake the others and tell them what was going on.  Helen pretended to fuss with things in the kitchen, making Sungyeol, Sungjong and Hoya believe she might be preparing more food for them; they left her alone. 

                When Jungryul entered the living room Helen approached him and they nodded at each other.  “Ahhh did we forget to get those?”  Jungryul pretended as if Helen had whispered something to him.

                Helen nodded, playing along.

                “Alright…well…do you remember where the market was?”  Jungryul spoke as he walked towards the door.

                “Mullon, Appa!”  She laughed as he opened the door for her and she stepped out onto the first step. 

                The plan had worked so well until Hoya jumped up from his seat, “Hajiman!  I need to get something from there; I’ll go with you.”  He patted his pockets, looking for his wallet.  Jungryul and Helen exchanged a glance and dropped their heads. 

                “Do you need it right now?”  Jungryul questioned Hoya.

                “Ne, mullon, Hyung.”  Hoya answered, mocking Helen. 

                Helen raised her eyebrows in disbelief as Jungryul put his head in his hand and sighed.  They had hoped that Helen could leave without a word and retire to her hotel; this way there wouldn’t be any fussing or bickering about where she would stay and for how long.  In reality, there wasn’t anything they needed from the market and now Helen was brainstorming what to buy. 

                Hoya skipped out of his room (Infinite – Super Rookie) and stopped once he got to the open door.  Jungryul didn’t know what to say as Hoya turned, his back facing Helen as he bowed to Jungryul and shut the door.  “Gaja?”  Hoya turned towards her.  He hopped down the rest of the steps, not waiting for an answer as he pushed his phone and wallet into pant pockets.    Helen stood at the top, watching Hoya; she didn’t know what to do. 

                The market was empty at midnight and Helen browsed the store, following Hoya as he picked up a few things and put them in a basket.  Helen was glancing at different things, wondering if a can of sardines was a good enough cover.  Occasionally Hoya would peer over his shoulder, watching her; he liked the way she stayed quiet and was content – their aura wasn’t awkward; it was pleasing and calming for the both of them. 

                She’d run into his back when they were walking past the fruit section.  Hoya had stopped abruptly and was looking at something; Helen followed his gaze which landed on a mountain of mangoes.  Helen held back a laugh as Hoya looked like he was about to start drooling.  She knew the price was high in Korea but just from the look on his face she knew this is what she was supposed to get.  Grabbing four ripe mangoes she set them in Hoya’s basket; his mouth dropped open but Helen held up her hands.  “I’m paying; that’s what I needed.”  She walked around him and continued down the back of the store.  Hoya watched her, still a little stunned.  Helen traced her finger along a food rack, circling its form until it was out of her reach.  Hoya closed his mouth, readjusted the basket and caught up with her.

 

                Hoya and Helen had been shushed when they entered the dorm; Infinite had decided to watch Secret Garden from the very first episode and they were all very mesmerized by it.  Jungryul had gone home and had left Helen a few text messages all of which said various things but she wasn’t given a chance to read any of them; Hoya hurriedly put away the things he bought while Helen stored the mangoes in the refrigerator and pulled her towards the living room.  He pushed on her shoulders, forcing her to sit down and watch the movie; he lay down next to her on his belly, his hands supporting his face.  Helen entwined her legs together (Indian Style) leaving her kneecap next to Hoya’s head. 

                Everyone had formed a half circle around the television but Hoya had grown tired of bending his back upwards and decided to “fall asleep”.  He shifted backwards a little and put his head on the ground.  He peeked over at Helen who was watching the show; she’d seen it before had liked it and didn’t mind watching it a second time.  Hoya stayed like that for a long time, just watching her.  But as he watched her she began to do something strange; she looked away from the television, towards the ground right below it and she blinked rapidly.  Hoya could hear what was being said on the television and he knew she wasn’t getting emotional about a boring scene so he leaned a little closer to her.  “Hey…you ok?”  He whispered. 

                It seemed as if she’d forgotten he was there as her head turned quickly to look at him.  “Yeah, yeah!”  She said too quickly.  “I think I should get going though, before I fall asleep.”  She whispered back.  Sungjong had been sitting on the opposite side of Helen and could hear them speaking.  He caught Hoya’s glare and bit his bottom lip. 

                “Where are you staying?  We’ll walk you there.”  Hoya nodded towards Sungjong; Helen turned to look at Sungjong who was nodding his head in agreement. 

                Helen smiled, glancing back up at the television.  She nodded and the three rose from their seats on the floor.  The other boys seemed to be too engrossed in the kissing scene and hadn’t noticed them leave.

                The trio walked along the side walk – Hoya stood between Sungjong and Helen; Sungjong talked nonstop about Infinite’s practice schedule and promotions for their comeback later in the month.  Helen was listening and responding to Sungjong’s excitement with equal enthusiasm but as Hoya peered at her he caught her looking up at the sky, sighing silently.  He glanced up, wondering what he was looking at until Sungjong hit him on his shoulder.  “Ya, Hyung, you’re not even paying attention!” 

                Sungjong walked away,briskly, acting hurt and angry leaving Hoya and Helen covering their mouths hoping Sungjong couldn’t hear them laughing.  Eventually the pair decided Sungjong wasn’t coming back and tried to catch up with the boy.  Sungjong ran into an empty street, yelling as Hoya grabbed him from behind and the two wrestled with each other.  Helen bowed at a couple passing her on the street and watching the two men act like children; she apologized many times as Hoya dragged a much weaker Sungjong back to the sidewalk where Helen was standing.  “Keep babbling.”  Hoya pushed Sungjong, playfully.  Sungjong didn’t need much convincing as he continued on.

                Helen walked in silence, once again listening to Sungjong; occasionally she would make eye contact and add something to the conversation.  Hoya noticed Helen was clenching her hands into fists and then shaking them lightly; she repeated this motion as if they hurt or were cramping up.  Hoya let his hand fall to his side and just barely grazed over her knuckle with his fingers.  Helen felt the contact and immediately looked over at Hoya whom had turned his head up towards the sky and was biting his lip.  Helen wrinkled her nose at him, knowing he could see her and he started laughing happily.  He continued to play with her hand, making light touches, until they reached her hotel.  Helen refused to let them walk her up to her room complaining that she was 19 and could handle herself from the parking lot to her room.  However, the real reason was that Helen didn’t want anyone knowing exactly where she would be; it was just a habit to not tell anyone except Jin Hyun; in the back of her mind she wondered if she’d done the right thing or if it was time to drop the habit…and maybe even drop Madacorp.