The Abandoned

An American Girl

 

Dinner at the restaurant had finally finished and Infinite returned to their dorm.  Jungryul had hoped he could just drop the boys off, outside, and deal with Hoya’s new found knowledge another time.  But because of poor planning, Hoya was the last to exit the van.  In a low growl Hoya demanded that Jungryul turn off the car and speak with him, right now.

 

Helen had taken four hours to recover in Madacorp’s “basic”, “temporary” medical bay.  In reality it looked just as efficient as any hospital and upon closer inspection, was actually much more advanced.

She sat upright in the now sweat-soaked cot; the nightmare was like sunspots to her memory as every time she blinked they would flash by.  Jin Hyun sat in a chair beside her bed; he was used to seeing Helen wake up this way and had even come to expect it soon after they began missions together.  He was used to seeing this type of reaction but it didn’t mean he liked it or enjoyed the sight of her panic-stricken face when she woke up.  Years ago he had insisted and even demanded that she applied for a session with Madacorp’s psychiatrist but the topic made her irritated; she would throw her hands in the air and shout, “Absolutely not!”

Jin Hyun watched her, patiently, knowing she just needed a little time to adjust, to understand her situation.  Helen rubbed her eyes like a small child squinting as she adapted to the bright lights.  She checked her surroundings – right…then left – it was a common habit many agents in this particular field had.  It had been everyone’s first and most basic concept to grasp during their trainee years.  Jin Hyun could still hear their sergeant’s voice echoing through his brain, “How many times do I have to tell you?  The first rule of survival: safety!”

Helen had finished her routine check and stared at Hyun as he slowly held up four fingers.  Helen sighed, rolling her eyes and swinging her legs over the edge of the bed.  Who in the world could be unconscious for four hours?!  Helen yelled at herself.  Jin Hyun stopped her, his hand on her knee as he motioned for her to stay in bed.  She tilted her head, confused.

“They can wait.”  Jin Hyun winked at Helen.  Both knew the standard procedure: immediate debrief after every mission…whether it was a success or failure but Hyun could tell Helen needed a few minutes to at least recall all the small details the agent was going to ask her.  Hyun also knew she needed to get the nightmare out of her thoughts and focus on the current task at hand.  Helen smiled in return but kept her current position.

 

Jin Hyun let time pass by as he made small talk with Helen; eventually she caught on and hopped off of the bed, landing on a twisted ankle.  “Ya, where are you going?”  Jin Hyun watched as she limped towards a large metal door.

She didn’t turn to face him as she yanked it open and called over her shoulder, “I need to get this out of my head; everything I did wrong just keeps replaying over and over again.”

Jin Hyun frowned.  Helen was experiencing another habit from basic training – the photographic memory course.  Originally the talent was supposed to aid in the debriefing process as well as during an outnumbered fight, however, Helen was using it to criticize herself and her actions.  Sighing, Jin Hyun pushed himself out of his seat and followed after her. 

She’s quick for a gimp.  Hyun thought to himself as he entered the base’s temporary debriefing sector.  The lobby was empty and the only sound was Helen typing on a computer.  He stepped up next to her as they entered agent ID numbers, full names and mission numbers to enter the mission archives database.  This was all basically so that the agent, whom played the general roll of a secretary in the next room over, could research their particular mission, determine what the outcome was and log it on a digit file.  This file would then be sent to a upper-ranked officer; this agent would then ask Helen and Jin Hyun to enter his office and the debriefing session would begin.  Together they would tell the whole and true story of the mission while the agent logged every single word; personal feelings were to be kept at bay unless they played a major role in the mission outcome.  At the beginning of Helen’s and Jin Hyun’s pairing, it had been awkward for them to speak of their opinions in front of one another; both had been shy and worried of contradictions.  However, as time carried on they became more loyal and trusting of one another and their bond grew much stronger than many other teams at Madacorp. 

Helen had finished submitting her information and took a seat in the lobby; before Hyun could sit with her a “Carrier” burst into the room, frantically searching for someone.  He was obviously looking for them and handed Helen a small, typed note.  Hyun read it over her shoulder; the bold red ink stated that they retire to their mission supervisor’s office for a personal session.  People who received “personal” debriefing understood that their mission had been a failure; Hyun winced, expecting the worst form of punishment – dropped “vacation”.