Don't Want to Remember

Marrying Cinderella

I parked my car in front of the big cherry tree in front of the high school that I teach in. Every week days, I would park my car there.

Every day, high school students would greet me with smiles on their faces. Outside the classroom, my students treat me like their friend (which I let them do). But when I’m finally in front of them, holding a chalk and my lesson plan for the day, they treat me like a respectful teacher (which I feel really proud of). I treat each and every one of my students’ special, so that they’ll treat me special as well.

I want to be like my mother. She’s one of the most respected professors in her time at Kyeonghee University. I want to be like her someday.

I opened the door of the faculty room and was greeted by my friend and fellow teacher, Sunhwa. “Hello, Yerin-ah. How was last night’s dinner?”

“Urgh, don’t even remind me,” I said. I slammed the books I has holding to my freakishly organized table.

“What happened?” she asked, intrigued.

“Didn’t I just said don’t talk about it?” I said, irritated.

“Joy killer!” she pouted. “Then, how’s you parent’s then? I miss chatting with your mother,” she said while arranging some papers in her table just opposite my table.

“They’re fine. They’re always fine,” I replied, uninterested.

“What’s the dinner all about anyway?” she said, looking busy with the papers in front of her.

Again, I imagine last night’s dinner; how Kim Heechul came in the restaurant, how our parents said Heechul and I will live together, how Heechul and I decided to lie together at the parking lot.

“Didn’t I just say to not remind me of last night,” I said, getting annoyed.

“What’s the big deal anyway?”

“Just don’t ask,” I simply said.

I gathered my teaching stuff and headed to my first class of the day. I walked a good two minutes to Section 3-A’s classroom. I opened the door and immediately, the riot inside the room dispersed. I walked in and closed the door softly. I smiled at my well-behaved class.

“Good morning, Teacher Yerin,” they greeted in English.

“Good morning to you too,” I greeted back. “Please open you text books at page 44.”

 

I went back to the faculty room after my second class in Section 3-C. I saw Sunhwa heaving in rage, sitting in front of her desk.

“What’s the matter?” I asked.

“I really going to peel their skins off if they don’t follow my orders,” she said, irritated.

“Who is?” I asked.

“Section 2-D, of course! They’re really getting into my nerves!” she said, pounding her desk.

“Just let it go, will you. They’re just kids…”

“Yeah, right, kids that has horns hidden under their hair. How did you handle them anyway?” she asked, helplessly.

“Well, I don’t know exactly. They listen to me very well,” I bragged. I smiled when Sunhwa bowed her head in frustration.

“Let’s just go to the cafeteria. You’ll be alright once you eat. Let’s go,” I said, then dragged her out of the faculty room.

 

Sunhwa and I sat at the corner of the cafeteria, laughing at the lame joke Sunhwa just said. It’s so crappy that all we could do is laugh.

“I have another joke…”

Then, my phone rang.

“Wait a sec…”I told Sunhwa while looking at the caller ID. I don’t know who it is.

“Hello? Who’s this?” I answered the phone.

“Yerin-sshi, it’s Heechul.”

At the mention of his name, my heart pounded. Why is he calling me?

“Oh…hello…”I said. “How did you get my number?” I asked.

“I got it from your mother,” he said. “Anyway, I called to tell you that I already sent my things in the apartment. I want to say sorry in advance for the clutter. I’ll deal with it after my schedule.”

“It’s alright.”

“When are you moving there anyway?” he asked.

WHEN? CAN I NOT MOVE THERE AT ALL?

“I don’t know. Tomorrow, perhaps?” I told him.

“That’s alright. I’ll see you soon then.”

“Alright.”

“Bye.”

“Bye…”

He ended the call. That was…weird. He’s so calm and gentle on the phone, while he’s so sarcastic in person. I wish we’d only talk over the phone so that I’ll never deal with sarcastic Heechul.

“Who was that?” Sunhwa asked. “What’s going to happen tomorrow?”

“No one and nothing,” I said, while naming Heechu phone number to “Sarcastic”.

“Come on,” Sunhwa said. “Tell me…”

“No,” I said, taking a sip from my glass of iced tea. Sunhwa dropped the topic and ate her cheesecake quietly.

Out of nowhere, I asked Sunhwa, “Do you know…Super Junior?”

She eyed me suspiciously. “Why did you ask all of a sudden?”

I bit my lip before saying, “Nothing. Can’t I ask?”

“It’s just that it’s not much unexpected for you to ask about entertainers or singers. You’re always focused with your work…”

“Are you going to answer it or not?” I cut her speech.

“Of course I know them. Who doesn’t know them besides you?”

I gave her a sarcastic smile and said, “So what is so great about them?”

“Are you kidding me, they’re one of the best boy group in South Korea. They’re great at stage performance, singing, dancing, acting, hosting…in short, they are just GREAT!” Her eyes widened with excitement. I never thought Sunhwa likes Super Junior.

“So, who’s you favorite among them?” I asked.

“It’s got to be Siwon. He’s muscles are the best,” she said, her eyes forming hearts. “And he’s a good actor.”

“Who’s your least favorite?” I asked again.

“Hmmm. That’s a tough one. Well, it’s not that I hate him or anything, but it has to be Heechul.”

My eyes widened at the mention of Heechul. “Why him?”

“I find him weird. Do you know that he calls himself Cinderella? Really, he’s too proud of himself. But sometimes, he’s great at variety shows. Still, he’s weird.” Sunhwa returned to eating her cheesecake.

A VERY proud Cinderella, huh? What am I supposed to do about that?

 

“Bye, Yerin-ah!” Sunhwa said after I dropped her in front of her apartment building. I waved at her went to driving.

On my way to my apartment, silently driving my red car while listening to the radio, my phone rang.

I took my Bluetooth ear piece, out it in my ear and answered the phone. “Hello?” I asked.

“Yerin-sshi, can you come here now? I need your help.” the voice said.

I looked at the caller ID, which was showing the name “Sarcastic”.

“Oh, Heechul-sshi. Come…where?” I asked.

“Here…in our home.”

IN.OUR.HOME.WHAT?

OMG. The mere mention of the word ‘home’ gave me goose bumps.

“Now?” I asked.

“Yes, now.”

“Okay…I’m on my way.”

“I’ll see you here,” he said. “Bye.”

He dropped the call.

 

“I’ll see you here. Bye.”

I dropped the call, smiling from ear to ear.

Yerin is coming!

 

 

__________________________________________________

Thanks for reading...

~Crina