No Yelling Allowed!

Marrying Cinderella

I sat in the edge of my bed, thinking about our dinner.

So he likes Sohee…

So what! I don’t care! Why should I care, when our relationship right now is just temporary. We’re not even that close. Who is Heechul to me? He’s nothing. He’s just some guy that I’m going to live within a hundred days. I don’t care about him, or what he does, or what he is. I DON’T!

Why am I reacting like this? He’s not my type anyway. He’s obnoxious, he has mood-swings, he’s too into himself, and he’s pathetic. Where in those characteristic should I like about him?

He’s nothing to me…

Or…is he?

I lay in bed, thinking about our dinner just now.

Why did I say that? ‘We’re just living for a hundred days’. You’re so pathetic, Kim Heechul. Why can’t you just say you like her? Why keep up with your showbiz character. Tell her you like her! That way, she’ll change her mind. If you want a hundred days to become forever then care for her, love her. Stupid me! Why did I tell her that my type is Sohee. Well that was before, Yerin is now or perhaps forever.

Change of plan, Heechul! Show her you care. Love her, for God sake!

I can’t stand myself; I’m being a fool.

I got up from bed to get some water in the kitchen. I was surprised that Yerin was there, standing by the kitchen’s island, a half filled glass of water was in front of her.

“Can’t sleep?” I asked her.

She looked at my direction. She nodded.

“Why?” I asked again, reaching for a glass in the cupboard.

“…nothing…” she hesitantly said.

I took the pitcher of water from the refrigerator and filled my glass. I was too busy looking at Yerin’s face that I didn’t notice my glass was overflowing.

“Oops!”

“Oh…I’ll get it,” Yerin said, taking a bunch of napkin from the island. She wiped the spilled water on the floor.

I only watched her wipe the mess I made. I had girlfriends before, but this is the first time that a girl is cleaning the mess I made. My old girlfriends would say ‘Oppa, clean that up’, make a pouty face and leave. So this what a husband feels, huh?

She threw the napkin on the trash bin. She even made a smile when she was done.

“Sorry about that…”

Her smile got wider. “No worries; its fine.”

“What are you smiling at?” I asked, getting curious.

“Nothing,” she said, keeping that smile on her face.

“Come on, tell me,” I demanded.

“You’re still a kid…” she said, and turned away. She made her way to her room and closed the door shut.

I stood behind the door, smiling still.

I thought, “That’s new…spilling water because he was looking at me. I wonder why?”

I hate jumping to conclusion, but…he must think I’m pretty. BUT NO AEGYO! Urgh!

 

“Yerin, let’s go to the cafeteria,” Sunhwa said, cleaning up her messed-up table.

“Okay…”

This morning, Heechul said he’s going to the company for a rehearsal. He said he’ll be back late at night because of another schedule. Good then; I’m not going to wait for him, since I know where he’s going to be.

Sunhwa and I went to the packed cafeteria. My students would greet me whenever they pass me by.

“You’re so lucky with your students. My student’s won’t even greet me. They don’t even look at me when I pass by,” Sunhwa said, sighing in frustration.

As usual, Sunhwa and I sat at the very corner of the cafeteria. We we’re comparing our students; we’re saying completely opposite things. All I say is positive traits about my students, all she say is negative.

“Come on, they’re not that bad,” I told her.

“Are you kidding me? They don’t listen to me even if I yell at them,” she said, shoving a kimbap in .

“Excuse me, Ma’am,” said a student. I look up to see that there are three students in front of us.

I looked at her and immediately knew one of them. “Oh, Seohyun, is there a problem? Sit down…” I told the three of them.

“It’s okay, Ma’am. We’re just going to ask you something.”

“What is it?” I asked.

“Can you give us some pointer in Intermediate English, please?” she said, hands together, pleading sweetly.

“Ummm… I’m not your teacher in Intermediate Eng…”

“I know Ma’am, but you make English really easy for us. If you could only give us some pointers, we’ll be very happy. Any amount of help will be okay. Please…”

She was pleading so cutely, I can’t resist myself. “Fine, I’ll find spare time for you guys. I’ll inform you so that we can have a private review. But…don’t EVER mention this to your teacher, or I’ll be dead. Are we clear?” I said, meaning every word.

The three girls smiled so wide out of happiness. “Thank you, Teacher Shin,” they thanked and bowed.

When Seohyun bowed, I noticed that she was wearing a blue ribbon pin, made from sparkly rhinestones, on her hair. The ribbon glittered under the fluorescent light of the large cafeteria.

“Do you like blue?” I, out of nowhere, asked, eyeing the blue ribbon pin. I then looked at Seohyun to confirm the answer.

“Oh, do you like it, Ma’am?” she asked, touching the ribbon. “I can give it to you if you want.” She was starting to take the pin off her hair, but then…

“Oh no, I was just asking,” I insisted. “That kind of blue is really good.”

“It’s called Sapphire Blue, Ma’am.”

Sapphire Blue? Then…

“By any chance, are you an E.L.F.?” I asked.

Seohyun smiled widely. “Yes, Ma’am. I’m a total fan of Super Junior.”

“I thought you’re not interested in them?” Sunhwa interrupted. “I thought you…”

“That was a thought,” I cut Sunhwa off. I then looked at Seohyun and asked, “Do you know all of them?”

“Of course,” she said. With her fingers, she counted while reciting, “Leeteuk, Heechul, Hankyung, Yesung, Kangin, Shindong, Sungmin, Eunhyuk, Donghae, Siwon, Kibum, Ryeowook, Kyuhyun. If you want to include the other two Chinese members, then, there’s also Zhoumi and Henry.”

I was dumbstruck. This girl can recite those names in seconds. “Wow!” was the only thing I said. “Thank you, Seohyun.”

“If you want to ask anything about Super Junior, just let me know.” She smiled and left, along with her two friends.

I turned to Sunhwa, who was looking at me intently. “What?” I asked.

“You’re weird today,” she said, her eyes in a slit. “You told me before that you are not interested in anyone in the entertainment business. Now, you’re asking the names of the members of Super Junior? What’s with you?” she asked, before taking a sip on her glass of orange juice.

“Nothing…”

“You even know their official color…and their fan club…By any chance, are you being converted to one of us?” she asked, eyes wide.

“One of us…You’re an E.L.F too? Wow, that’s unpredictable,” I said sarcastically.

“Honestly, you can ask me anything about them too.” She looked pissed; maybe she thought I prefer my students than her.

“Come on, how should I know you’re one of them when everyone in the entertainment business seems to be your idol.” I continued eating my food while Sunhwa was still acting like a kid that didn’t receive her daily dose of attention.

“Well…if you want…you could ask me too.” There she goes; Sunhwa, the smart math teacher, acting like a kid. Things like not giving her attention or being jealous of some little thing makes her act like a child. Though sometimes her attention-seeking sickness pisses me off, I don’t care; she’s still one of my best friends.

I smiled at her childish act. “Of course I will, come on.”

“Anyway, I really don’t get you. What’s the reason you’re suddenly asking about them?”

Sunhwa’s attentive eyes eyed me seriously. Sheesh! I’m trapped again. She’ll never let me go.

“I said it’s nothing…”

“It’s never ‘nothing’ with you. When you suddenly ask about things that doesn’t fit the scene, definitely something’s up. Now, spill.”

I look at her seriously. I know Sunhwa, she can dig very deep inside of me, eventually she’ll know. But…

“Not now. Not here. I’ll tell…some other time.”

“When?” she asked.

“When I’m ready.”

 

I got home after the sun has fully set, tired from the whole day of teaching. Teaching is very fulfilling for me. I can get to share my knowledge to young students. I can even influence them for good things. That’s what I love about teaching.

I entered the house, sighing from the heavy laptop and teaching stuff that I have to carry. I saw Heechul lying down on the couch; a comic book was covering his face.

I put my things on my room and change my clothes. I didn’t dare make any loud noises, afraid that sarcastic Cinderella will yell at me. I went out of my room and went to the kitchen to check what food I should prepare. Seriously, I know that Heechul and I are both tired, but why do I have to do all the cooking. I know that I’m a good cook, but that doesn’t mean that I automatically am the one who should cook. I thought he’s supposed to be here late; what is he doing here?

All I can do is sigh and let go of my annoyance. Then, I started cooking whatever I can do with pork and vegetables.

I can hear someone chopping. It must be Yerin. Stealthily, I slowly raise the comic book, which I was reading a while ago, and confirmed that Yerin was home and making dinner. I know that I got home early and didn’t dare touch any kitchen utensil. I don’t want to cook! Besides, it’s women’s duty to cook for men. That’s why I just lay in this couch, read for a while and slept.

Wow! Yerin looks cute in her pink apron. What is she saying that she has no cuteness in her? I mean, if you can only see her right now, she is the cutest thing. Her hair is tied up in a pony tail with a white hair pin, wearing a green collared shirt and white shorts, topped the pink floral apron; she’s a vision of a perfect wife. She’s even cute cutting veggies; smiling and pouting at every piece she cuts.

Thank God she knew that I was asleep. Well I was a while ago, before the chopping and the occasional clank of pots, and the sound of running tap water. Right now, I can get a full view of her cute, unusual style in cooking. ^^

“AH!” Yerin shouted.

I quickly stood up from the couch. “What…what? What happened?” I asked. I was totally shocked and concerned.

“I burned my hand. I touched the hot pan; I didn’t know it was too hot.” She blew her hand so hard, gritting her teeth and biting her lip in pain.

I ran to the refrigerator and took a cold can of soda. I placed it in her hand. “Hold this…” I told her, squeezing her hand to can. “Better?”

“It stings…” she said, biting her lip.

“Why did you have to hold it, anyway!” I shouted.

Yerin was shocked. “I…it was an accident…I didn’t…” she stuttered.

I let go of her hand and just stood beside her. “Before doing something STUPID like what you did, check things first before doing them.”

“I told you it was an accident…”

“Accidents are for children,” I said. I turned the stove off and looked at Yerin. Her eyes are b with tears.

“Does it really hurt?” I asked, looking at her already red eyes, getting a lot concerned.

“I know yelling is not forbidden, but I think it’s not very good to practice it all the time, especially to me. Please don’t do it again…” she said before turning away, the can still in her hand.

“Wait,” I said, quickly reaching to her shoulder to stop her pace. “What’s the matter?” I asked, asking her upfront now.

In between sniffs, she managed to say, “My heart is somewhat weak. My heart pounds hard when I’m in shock. My heart races when I’m saddened. I don’t know why, but it has been this way for the past twenty five years of my life. So will you please quit the yelling…?”

“I will…” I told her with a straight face, meaning my words. I wiped the tears in her cheeks. “I will…”

 

 

_________________________________________________________________

Before anything else, I would like to greet Heenim a belated Happy Birthday. I was supposed to post this update on Heechul’s birthday but sadly, I had too much homework to finish, not mentioning that I had fever yesterday. T.T (12:27 AM, Jul 11)

I hope you like this update. Thank you for reading. Do comment please.

~Crina