An Unfortunate Event

The Safe House

Jessica pulled her suitcase into her apartment building after thanking the driver ahjussi. She greeted the receptionist with a smile which she got one in return. The male receptionist bowed, before delivering a message that almost chased her guts away.

“Mr. Lee Dong Wook is already waiting upstairs, Miss.” Jessica registered his words and her nerve immediately acted up. The color on her face was already drained when she forced a smile to the clueless receptionist. Her thoughts swirled in chaos as she waited for the elevator. A ding brought her back to the ground as it slid open. She fidgeted anxiously inside the elevator.

Another ding, only this time it sounded like terror that a short gasp escaped her lips. Hesitant, she pulled her suitcase out along and walked to her unit. She stopped in front of the door, hand extending to press the passcode. Before she got to finish her intention, she heard a familiar click from the door—it was opened from the inside. With her breath held, Jessica pulled the doorknob and stepped in.

“So, how was it?” She heard a voice welcomed her—though it was insufficient to be a greeting. She hadn’t even closed the door and her shoes were still on, but of course the tall, good-looking man whom she had dated and broken up wouldn’t bother.

“You did as I told you, right? Did you make her agree?” he demanded with both arms folded in front of his chest. Jessica sighed silently while putting her shoes in the cupboard.

“No,” she replied shortly and barely audible. She walked past him unceremoniously—and it was effectively annoying.

“No? What do you mean ‘no’?” he followed her with impatient strides.

Jessica scoffed, fed up with his attitude. “What part of ‘no’ do you not understand? The N or the O?”

Strong grips caught her arms painfully and pierced her eyes. She bit back the sharp yelp from when his fingers bruised her skin. He looked the scariest—one of his traits she couldn't tolerate.

“I thought I’ve made it clear to you about this, honey.” His voice was low and hoarse, threats punctuating every syllable. Shiver went down her spine as his breath brushed her skin. She was trembling but she swallowed all her fears pushed him away, if not jerking him.

“And I clearly have told you that night, haven’t I?” her voice shook. “I said I did not want to do this anymore! I can’t!” Jessica almost yelled at the top of her lungs. Tears brimmed on her face from anger, disappointment, and all emotions she had kept bottled in for what she felt like ages.

“It’s for our own sake, Sica! Do you think your company will let you off? You’d be kicked out in a second!”

“But still this is our fault! Why do they have to take responsibility for our mistake?” she cried in frustration. She never felt so guilty, so low in her entire life. Her heartbeat became almost unbearable as she lost control of her anger.

Dong Wook stepped away from her as he tried to suppress his temper. “So you’re saying that you’re keeping it?” his voice was quiet, but she could hear the fire rumbling beneath it.

“Yes. Now get the hell out of my place,” she glared at him fearlessly—and stunned by her own words. She felt remarkable as she never knew there was this kind of courage inside her. Motherhood, her thought whispered in a flash.

“What did you just say?!” Dong Wook flared. He threw a vase within his reach, shattering it against the floor along with innocent roses, or what was remained from them.

She was terrified and her body shivered, but she couldn’t let the man hurt her child. She strode and pushed him with all her might. She almost made it to the door before he caught her hands with painful grips like he wanted to crush her bones. Despite the torture, Jessica kept forcing forward, tossing her weight on him. Dong Wook was infuriated and his temper got the best of him. Everything happened so fast. Dong Wook lost it and threw her mercilessly to the floor.

Blood.

♦♦♦

6.30 in the morning. Quiet, chilly. It was an ordinary morning in The Safe House, except for Haejin going down the stairs and already dolled up. For someone whose morning had always been at 10, this was a bizarre occasion. Every staff passing her by replied her greeting with bewilderment in their faces. Haejin chuckled to herself as she headed to the kitchen and poured herself a drink.

With a glass of water in one hand, she the television in the living room. She searched for morning news and settled on the sofa. Minutes after minutes she watched the screen uninterestedly until she felt bored. Pressing the remote control, she jumped from one channel to the other. Haejin suddenly stopped at a news program showing a face she recognized well enough. She dropped the empty glass as she stared at the headline in horror.

She sprang away as soon as the news footage was over; not even remember to pick the glass or turn off the television. The youngest ran into Siyoung when they met at the main lobby but she did not stop. “Check the news!” was the only thing she exclaimed to her leader as she sprinted away.

She was breathless by the time she reached JYJ’s mansion. Impatiently, she abused the bell until she heard click from the door.

“Haejin-ah! What happened?” Yoochun was surprised seeing her catching her breath with her face all white.

“Later,” she panted. “Jaejoong?”

Yoochun immediately motioned her to come in. “He’s in the shower. You should get a drink first,” he said, bringing her to the kitchen.

After downing the herb drink in big gulps, her breathing became even as color slowly tinted her cheeks and lips again. “Thank you,” she said, still half whispering.

“What’s going on?” Yoochun folded his arms as he leaned on the counter.

“Have you seen the news this morning?” Her voice was back to normal. He only shook his head without moving his attentive eyes from her own.

Haejin mentally rephrase the news in her head, trying to make it sound the least horrifying. “Jessica… she fell and lost the baby.”

No words came from Yoochun for a good three seconds as he tried to register what he just heard.

“Where is she now?” asked Yoochun after gathering himself back. He mentally went through the list of his friends who knew the actual story.

“SNU Hospital.”

“I’ll get Junsu, you can go to Jaejoong hyung’s room. He should be done by now,” Yoochun gave a light squeeze on her arm before leaving to wake Junsu.

Haejin climbed the stairs in haste. Right when she reached the top, Jaejoong came out of his room.

“Jae!” she called and rushed towards him. He was delightfully surprised to see her, but frowned right after seeing her grief face.

“Are you okay, love? Something happened?” He looked worried and alarmed. For a split second, he scanned her exposed skin looking for any signs of hurt.

“I’m totally fine. It’s not me. It’s… It’s Jessica.”

His forehead creased. “Jessica? What about her?”

“She fell and hit the floor too hard… She lost the baby,” Haejin hardly spit it out of .

Jaejoong blanked upon her answer. He stared at her absently, silently. Even his breath was soundless. He looked like he could take a whole minute to register the terrible news and she couldn’t let him be. She completely understood by heart and mind the state he was in, but they literally didn’t have much time.

“Jae. Are you alright?” She applied a light pressure as she touched his arm. It seemed to work as he blinked and tried to compose himself.

“Yes, yes I’m fine. Sorry. So she’s in the hospital now?”

“Yes, SNU Hospital. I talked to Yoochun earlier, we’re going to see her now. You’re all set?”

“Yeah. Come on,” he muttered.

 


 

I am so very terribly sorry for disappearing *sobs* I really wanted to update earlier, but this writer's block really got me >_<

Again, I apologize for my hiatus m(_ _)m

That's first. Next thing, I want to give a huge, big, fat, gigantic THANK YOU for my subscribers and readers. Thank you for not leaving and still sticking with this story. You don't know how much it meant for me :')

And thanks to these lovelies... mysweetloveever, staratyra, jbdn18, jbdn20, heelloo, zai9225 for subscribing!

I hope I can update soon, I'm working on it. Let me know your thoughts, okay? Cheers :)