Race 04. Aria's the Best

Drifting Hearts

L.Joe's jaw dropped as he saw a girl who looked around his age step up of the car. She was beautiful, he could see the makeup on her face and how it enhanced her features.

But he wondered what she looked like barefaced, she had to be pretty without makeup as well. She tossed her hair over her shoulder and smiled as she looked at the crowd.

He caught a glimpse of something black on her wrist when her jacket sleeve slid up. But he couldn't tell what it was, looked like a tattoo, but he wasn't sure.

He watched as she waved at all of them, adjusting her red top and walking around. She greeted several people before going towards the man who organized races.

"Newbies." The man in the dress shirt said to them.

The six of them turned to him, they all knew it was them that newbie referred to, everyone else seemed to know each other.

"Hello." They greeted him politely.

"My name is Eric, I saw your race. Where did you get your car?" He asked them.

"From our hyung's garage." L.Joe answered confidently. "Why?"

Eric shook his head, "Nothing, I just thought I had seen that car somewhere before, that's all."

"Who's that?" Chunji asked, pointing at the girl who got out of the car. "She seems popular."

"You don't know who that is?" Eric asked them. "Wow, you really are newbies." He commented.

"Thanks." CAP said, his voice full of sarcasm.

Eric gave him an apologetic smile, "That's Aria. She's the top racer right now. She learned everything from the legend. But you must not know who the legend is, huh?" Eric assumed as he was met with six confused faces.

"No idea." Ricky said. 

"You see that tattoo on her wrist?" Eric asked them, pointing at the black mark that L.Joe had noticed. Her sleeve was pulled up now, giving everyone a clear view of what it was.

"The letter A?" Changjo asked, to make sure he saw it right.

"Yeah. She got that to remember him, he disappeared one day. His name was Andy. But that might not even be his real name." Eric told them. "He trained her in everything he knew and she picked up a few tricks by herself as well."

"So everyone knows who she is and can't wait to watch her race?" Niel asked as the crowd seemed to grow bigger around her. Even though the crowd was all around, she still had at least an arm length of space away from everyone. She was revered and respected.

"Yup, she's racing against Dongwoo tonight. That green car over there." Eric pointed out the man racing Aria.

"For money?" L.Joe asked. That girl probably won every race she was in and she surely didn't need the money anymore. She had made back what she had lost by now.

"She races for the minimal amount, but tonight is for fun. Her and Dongwoo are friends, they just want to see how fast the other is. Last night she raced for money against Xiah though, that cocky son of a ." Eric said with distaste. 

"Did she win?" L.Joe pressed. He didn't know what came over him but he knew that by the end of the night, he would need to find an excuse to talk to Aria. His orange hair made him stand out in the crowd but even then, there were many people around. He was nothing special.

Eric scoffed, "Please. Of course, she did. She always wins." He threw them a look to never ask such an absurd question ever again.

"She only races for money when they are people with bad personalities?" He asked as he tried to clarify her motives.

"Aria races for bigger amounts of money against people who deserve to get their asses whopped. Everyone else, they take turns racing for $1k and treating each other to meals by the winner." Eric said clearly.

"Where is the best place to watch her race?" L.Joe asked Eric eagerly. He wanted to see her compete, it was for fun but he wanted to see her skills.

"Fallen for her already, have you?" Eric joked, nudging him playfully.

L.Joe scoffed, "Psh, no. I just want to see what's so impressive about this girl." He said, dismissing the thought of that. But honestly for someone to have such honest values and being humble, with such an impressive record was rare. And it did intrigue him.

"Whatever you say, bud. I'll take you to the second floor of the warehouse." Eric said as they walked towards a flight of stairs.

Aria had greeted the crowd and she climbed back into her car. Dongwoo said goodbye as he climbed into his own car.

"Ready, buddy?" Dongwoo asked her with a smile on his face.

"As long as you are." She smirked at him, her window rolling up as they got ready. 

L.Joe leaned up against the railing as he watched the two cars pull up to the starting line. "You can learn a lot form her just by watching. But she will never teach." Eric told him.

"Why not?" L.Joe asked. "She could help out so many people. And didn't she learn from someone?"

"That may be true. But she doesn't feel like anyone is worth her time nor has she found anyone that deserves it." Eric told him.

The both of them grew quiet as the barely covered girl stood between the cars to signal them off. Their engines revved as they waited for the go.

She took her time to signal it, L.Joe thought it was quite rude but seeing the smiles on Aria and Dongwoo's faces, it seemed to be planned.

Go was signaled and the both of them took off. Their cars were neck in neck most of the time, which was a miracle since Aria had taken the outside lane.

The distance she had to travel was longer. L.Joe watched in awe as she kept up with Dongwoo all through their first lap of the circle. In the second, she managed to slip ahead on him in the inside lane.

And every chance he tried to take to get ahead of her after that was blocked by her weaving in and out just slightly. As the finish line approached for the end of their second lap, Dongwoo honked at her, finishing second to her.

"She never let him pass after the first one." L.Joe said in awe. 

"In her friendly matches, she does that. When it's serious, she doesn't let them think they stand a chance of winning at all." Eric said and L.Joe felt the air turn frigid just slightly. "Come on, time to celebrate." He said, leading him back to the already gathering mob around Aria's car.


Author's Note;
long time no update i know :(
anyway, here is one~
my internet is being lame.

but also finals are coming :( so.. gotta wait peoples :o
But I promise to have more updates once finals are over :3