Brightness - Part 2

Be Your Hope

Sorry for the late update. Enjoy while reading ^^ Don't forget to comment your opinions. Love you all :)

 

---

 

Su Ho was shocked, standing there still, looking Krystal’s eyes, frozen.

“Don’t say anything, oppa. I will hear your answer tomorrow, okay?”

She reached him and pecked his lips before smiling and leaving him alone in the balcony. Krystal passed the others with an arrogant smirk on her face.

Lu Han went inside immediately after Kyungsoo made sure that Krystal was gone.

“What was that?” Lu Han was frowning.

“She is creepy.” Kyungsoo had a sour expression on his face.

“Hey, Suho? Don’t you hear me?” Lu Han was still waiting for an answer but all Su Ho did was standing there, touching his lips with his finger.

Lu Han rolled his eyes and slapped Su Ho’s cheek in fury.

“What the!--“

“Finally-“

“Did you have to do that?”

Lu Han ignored his question. “What is between you and her?”

Su Ho was rubbing his cheek. “How should i know? She just came and kissed me.”

“And you are smiling.”

“But it was good.”

Kyungsoo sighed. “Creepy girl.”

“Anyways.” Lu Han said. “Will you accept her feelings or what?”

“Aish… I don’t know what to do. I can’t even think correctly.”

Lu Han had teased Su Ho before the trio decided to head to their classes.

“Oppa, I love you.”

“Are you serious? Stop it.”

“But oppa--“

 

***

 

After lunch break ends, all the students was going into the school building, except for Chanyeol. Instead, he headed to the backside of the school, jumped from the metal fences, tried to remember what Su Ho said and started walking to that direction, carrying a blue sportsbag with him.

He was excited and scared as well. Since he had decided to visit Baekhyun, he was nervous too. He didn’t actually know what to feel. As Chanyeol got closer to the house, his heart started to pound. when he stopped in front of Byun’s home, he lost a breath for a second.

What the hell am i going to say to him? Ah, hey Baekhyun. I’m here because i just heard that you are my very lost bestfriend and i am really sorry for not caring about you before i hear that. By the way i almost killed you. You know… I’m a ing jerk.

He had almost decided to leave before the door of the house was opened all of a sudden.

“Oh…"

Mrs. Byun was scared at first but after a moment, her eyes widened with realization as she came closer to Chanyeol.

“Ch-Chanyeol ?”

“Mrs. Byun.” He bowed.

“I’m sorry. I don’t know why i was surprised that much, let me look at you. You have grown much, eh?”

Chanyeol couldn’t help smiling.

Even she has grown older, her hairs whitened and her presence was damaged due to all the hard situations she had gone over; the cheery brightness in her eyes is the same. She had always acted like a mother to me. The memories…

“It’s good to see you here.” Mrs. Byun smiled. “Ah, pardon me. Made you wait here in the cold weather. Come in, please. I just made tea. We may talk.”

Chanyeol bowed again. “It would be a pleasure.”

After Mrs. Byun tooks out the trash, Chanyeol followed her into the house, to the living room. As he walked in the corridor, the memories rushed to his brain, made him gasp.

It wasn’t their old house since it was burned down in fire after they moved. Even the look was different,

The atmosphere, the emotion Chanyeol felt when he first came here was the same.

He took a deep breath and realized that his eyes were itchy already.

Come on, Chanyeol. You have to be strong. Hide your freaking feelings!

“You can sit there.” Mrs. Byun pointed the couch with her eyes.

“I will make you a cup of tea. Two cubes of suger, wasn’t it?”

Two cubes of sugar… I can’t believe she remembered.

Chanyeol nodded while trying to get rid of the tears filled his eyes.

After a couple of minutes, Mrs. Byun came in with a tray which had two cups on it. She sat in front of Chanyeol after serving them.

“Thank you, Mrs. Byun.”

She smiled and took a sip from her tea as Chanyeol did the same.

“Baekhyun is sleeping in his room. I will tell him that you came.”

“It’s fine… I just brought his belongings since they could be lost there.”

“Such kind of you…” Mrs. Byun smiled.

Chanyeol took another sip and started to play with the cup. It seemed like he was struggling between saying something or not but when he finally made his decision, he put the cup onto the small table near the couch and looked directly at Mrs. Byun.

“Mrs. Byun… I… I want to know the reason."

“What reason?”

“Why… Why does Baekhyun act like he doesn’t know me?”

It is ironic actually. To think that i ignored him in the first place…”

Mrs. Byun nodded to herself like she accepted something. “I will tell you everything. You need to know.” She took one last sip from her tea before leaning to her front, trying to be close to Chanyeol as she whisper.

“Baekhyun was in the car with his father. After the accident was happened, they took them to the hospital. After a succesful operation, Baekhyun was the first and only one to wake up. The first thing he did was asking his father and i couldn’t say that he was dead. Instead i told him that his father was fine. In one of the times he wanted me to bring something to him, he just stood up from his seat and searched for his dad. When he realized that he was dead…”

A weak teardrop flowed down from her eye.

Chanyeol nodded as imagines started rushing to his brain, he bit his lip, tried to control himself.

“He was freaked out. He shouted and cried. Baekhyun… was so weak at that moment so it happened. He fainted. When Baekhyun woke up again, he wasn’t the Baekhyun i knew.”

“What? What do you mean?”

Mrs. Byun rubbed his forehead.

“Tell me ahjumma. Please…”

Mrs. Byun took a deep breath, seemed sick but continued.

“He built a wall around his mind, which means deleting his memories and changing the things whats qualified him as himself.”

Chanyeol gulped. “An…An amnesia. That’s why he didn’t recognize me.”

Mrs. Byun nodded. “We moved from this town immediately, from the memories hidden in here. I wanted to build a new life for my Baekhyun. But as you can see we are here again.”

“That’s why he couldn’t say goodbye to me. Because he didn’t remember me. And the whole time i thought…” A teardrop found its way out of Chanyeol. “I thought that he was… He was dead.”

He clenched his fist. “I can’t believe that.”

“D-Dead?” Mrs. Byun was surprised.

“Yes… Nobody said anything to me.” His voice was darkened and was filled with sadness.

How… How could that happene ? How could i not know that he was alive. Because of my depression ? That’s ing stup-

Chanyeol gasped suddenly and the memories start to play in his mind.

---

“Chanyeol.”

Little Chanyeol looked at the boy, who had sat next to him a half minute ago.

“What do you want, Kris?”

Kris looked at Chanyeol,with a blurred meaning in his eyes.

“My father went to the hospital today. He told me that-“

“Told you what?”

“Your friend is dead.”

---

Chanyeol started cough and got out of the trance, fearing that the emotions would possess him again, like it happened that day. He then frowned, when he talked, his voice was weak. “It is because i was… I was convinced.”

“What do you mean?” Mrs. Byun seemed curious but before Chanyeol could answer her, a familiar voice was heard.

“Mom?” It was Baekhyun.

Chanyeol shook his head and wore his emotionless mask again as Mrs. Byun went to the corridor to meet her son.

“You are awake.”

“Do we have a guest?”

“Your friend is here.”

Baekhyun went into the living room in rush. “Who? Su Ho?”

Chanyeol was drinking his tea when he heard Baekhyun. As he the word “Su Ho” came to him, he spat some of the tea in his mouth accidiently and coughed a bit.

“Ah… Ch-Chanyeol… Welcome…”

Baekhyun smiled but seemed a bit disappointed.

“Just sit in front of your friend, i will make a tea for you as well.”

Baekhyun nodded and went to his mother’s seat and sat onto it. Noone talked for a moment. Chanyeol was playing with his cup while Baekhyun’s eyes were on the carpet.

“There you have.” Mrs. Byun serviced a cup to his son. She smiled before taking the blue sportsbag and giving a smile glance to Chanyeol as she got a nod in return.

Now two of them were alone in the room.

“Are you alright?” Chanyeol broke the silence.

“I am. Thank you. For what you have done.”

“I didn’t do anything. I only brought your belongings.”

“That’s not it. I know that you are the one who saved me.”

“Tch.” Chanyeol shook his head. “Like i am not the one who risked your life.”

“Don’t blame yourself.” Baekhyun bit his lips. “I wanted to play even i knew it was going to happen.”

Chanyeol sighed, took a sip from his tea. “I was wondering why…”

“I…I don’t know.” Baekhyun smiled nervously. “I just didn’t want to step back.”

“Which makes me the culprit.”

“That’s not right…”

“It is. I am the one who-“

“Stop.” Baekhyun looked directly at Chanyeol’s eyes. “Let it go.”

Chanyeol was surprised because of his sudden reaction. As Baekhyun realized that he turned his eyes to the carpet and took a sip from his tea, tried to get rid of the shyness. For a minute there was only silence. Then Baekhyun pierced it.

“My inhaler… Su Ho told me that it was lost. But somehow, it was in my room this morning.”

“And?”

“I was wondering if you…”

“No, i didn’t.”

“Really? But the nurse said that a person like you came to the hospital and stayed for a long time. I thought that it was you.”

Chanyeol rolled his eyes. . He thought.

“Why would you think that it is me?”

“You are spending so much time in the gym so i thought-“

“I said, it wasn’t me. Let it go.”

Baekhyun nodded slowly.

“None of my business but… Shouldn’t you be in the school?”

“I wanted to visit you since i was feeling guily and i still am feeling guilty.”

“Okay… So… What is it between you and Chen?”

Chanyeol shrugged. “That bastard loves to fight. That’s all.”

“It should have a reason.” Baekhyun took a sip.

“It is all because he is envious of me. Because i am better than him.”

Baekhyun smiled. “Have you already forgotten that our team was the winner.”

“Tch. I didn’t even use my full strength.”

“Sure.” Baekhyun said in sarcasm.

Chanyeol smiled.

That’s what i missed the most. When we talk sincerely together. With no walls or anyone between us. Just him and me. I can’t explain how i feel right now. It is like fire and ice. I want to hug him and show him all of my feelings. At the same time, i know that i can’t do that. Geez… If only he could remember me but… It is fine like this too. To think he is here, sitting in front of me, talking to me, it feels weird. But i don’t know how this will end i will always be on his side. I won’t let anyone hurt him. Until he becomes stronger again, i will protect him…

“Chanyeol-ah.”

Mrs. Byun suddenly entered into the room, looked at Chanyeol.

“Yes, Mrs. Byun?”

“Could you please help me in the kitchen?”

“Ah. Oka-“

Baekhyun suddenly got up from his seat. “I should be helping you since he is our guest.”

“It is fine, Baekhyun. I will help her. Just rest.”

Baekhyun sighed and nodded, sat to the couch again.

When the others walked into the kitchen, Chanyeol asked.

“What should i do?”

“Nothing.” Mrs. Byun whispered. “I just wanted to tell you something.”

“Yes?” Chanyeol was curious.

“I want you to help me.”

“Of course. About what?”

Mrs. Byun took a deep breath and looked directly at Chanyeol.

“There is a way for returning Baekhyun’s memories. I want you to help me to get the old, strong Baekhyun.”