Suspect

The Song Jieun Murder Case

~*~

 

When Zelo came into his house, he didn’t bother to say ‘I’m home!’ or call out for anyone. Why would he bother? Nobody’s home. He already knows that.

As he steps into the living room, he saw their telephone giving out a red light by the kitchen counter, noting that he received a voicemail.

He went to it and pressed it. As soon as the voice came up, Junhong froze.

“Junhong-ah. It’s Dad. You’re coming with me to the station tomorrow. I’ll pick you up at 8 am. Let’s have breakfast first before heading there…

You have a lot of explaining to do…”

 

 

7 am.

He should be at school, sitting right next to Jongup. He should be listening to his teacher and scribbling down notes. He should be blaming Ms. Han Sunhwa for giving out a hard homework.

He should be.

But not today.

There’s still an hour before his dad will pick him up. But he’s already dressed up semi-formally. Just a polo shirt and a pair of jeans completed his look. Completed his look on being interrogated by the police later on.

‘I never did anything,’ he repeated in his head. ‘I just stood up for the old lady,’

He didn’t know why he was going to the police station today. But the things he’s sure of, it’s about that name tag that guy took from him. And the only reason for him to be in the station is to be interrogated. Or worse, arrested.

He shook his head. ‘I didn’t do anything. I didn’t kill him. Why would they arrest me?’

 

 

“You didn’t kill him right?” his dad asked sternly.

“N-no,” Junhong stuttered. His hands shaking around the cup of coffee he was holding. “I-I just—“

“Save it for later…” his dad held his hand around the cup. “Don’t be nervous. You didn’t do anything. Nothing wrong is gonna happen,”

 

They were already seated in a café right next to the police station. Junhong’s father had told him that the man who took his name tag was dead. It just so happens that that was also the same day the man was killed, it was also the same day the man took his name tag for some reason his father wouldn’t know. Junhong freaked out at the thought of being a suspect, a prime suspect to that too. He couldn’t stop shaking in fear as to what will happen if he was found guilty. If he really was guilty…

His nerves are taking over his conscience.

‘I shouldn’t have jumped in to the scene. I should have just stayed out of their business. I should’ve listened to Jongup. I should—‘ his thought was cut off as a girl stood in front of their table.

“Sir, it’s his turn,” the girl said. Junhong raised his head to look at her. Seeing that his son was finding his new colleague a bit new, Woosik introduced them.

“She’s Officer Jung Hana. Hana, this is my son—“

“Junhong. Choi Junhong,” Hana smiled at him as she offered her hand.

Junhong took her hand after hesitating for a moment, “How did you know my name?”

“The name tag. I figured it was you base on the detective’s expression when he concluded you’re the primary suspect,” she said the words casually, sending Junhong another wave of fear in his nerves.

“R-right, uhmm… offi—“

“Please, just call me noona. Hana noona,” she smiled again and Junhong concluded, ‘She’s nice but kinda doesn’t care what others feel,’

 

~*~

 

Jongup stared at his phone.

And for the nth time, he bit his lip.

 

He’s in class like he’s supposed to be. Unlike his best friend who was unusually missing at a crucial time like this. A time for reviewing for the exam on Thursday and Friday since they have the three remaining days to do so.

But the thing that is bugging Jongup the most? Some bull their favourite Professor Han Sunhwa spread earlier on their first period.

 

 

Jongup was busy scanning his notes. He’s been waiting for Zelo since he came in, or at least a text message that would say he’d be late. As he pulls out his phone, a loud thud caused him to look out to the door.

Their classmate Oh Sehun, the class journalist, came barging in to their room with a sly grin plastered on his face. His aura was something like pride and happiness mixed together, making every head that he walks by turn and catch their attention.

‘Here comes Sehun The Crappy-porter again,’ Jongup rolled his eyes at the sight of Sehun approaching him.

“Good morning Moon Jongup,” Sehun greeted through his grin. Jongup just sighed and looked back at him with a bored expression, “Nothing’s good about the morning when your face comes near my sight,”

Sehun smirked, “The feeling is mutual Moon. I just thought maybe you should have at least a good greeting from me since obviously, your best friend won’t be attending class…”

Jongup’s eyes furrowed. “How d’you—“

He stopped. He doesn’t have to ask. He knew the answer to the question everyone asks Sehun. “You heard from one of the teachers?”

Sehun nodded with his grin coming back on his lips, “But not just from any teacher. From Ms. Han Sunhwa…”

Jongup didn’t mind. So what if it came from Ms. Sunhwa? She’s the kind of teacher who always has something to say to anything. But the thing about him not knowing about it bugged him. That was Junhong. Why in the world wouldn’t he tell him that he’ll be absent? Especially today that they have a review session with the hyungs.

Sehun shrugged then tapped him by the shoulder, “Well good morning again. You’re gonna need it. ‘Cause you wouldn’t like why Zelo’s not here…”

Sehun’s words sent shivers down Jongup’s spine. But nonetheless, he showed that he wasn’t affected, “Cut the crap, Sehun. What did you hear?”

Sehun smirked again, feeling Jongup’s worry to his friend. “You’ll know. I have a feeling Ms. Sunhwa will announce it,”

 

In a few seconds, the bell rang. Signalling for the class to begin and for Ms. Sunhwa to step in to the room.

As she came in, she noticed the class’ unusual aura in the morning. It was like everyone had a question in their minds that they’re dying to know. Some were glancing at the back and some were whispering rather suspiciously.

She scanned the room and saw that the only chair empty is the one at the back next to Jongup. She stared at it for awhile then sighed, “Free time for today. Your exam coverage—“

She stopped at the sight of an arm raised from the back. It was Jongup.

“Yes Mr. Moon?”

“Where’s Junhong?” he asked nonchalantly. The class fussed around with Jongup’s question. He said it in a formal way but in a rude tone. But Sunhwa didn’t mind.

“He’s father excused him for today’s class. He also wanted a favour from you Jongup. He wants—“

“He’s father?” jongup’s tone was surprised, making the class surprised with his sudden rude interruption of the class. He was never the type to do so.

“So what if his father excused him? You sound like that’s a miracle or something…” Sehun hissed.

‘That’s because you don’t know his dad…’ Jongup furrowed his eyebrow. “Did his dad mention why he—“

“He’s being summoned in the police station. Your friend is a suspect in a crime,” Sunhwa cut him off, her words took a while to sink in to the class’ mind. Especially jongup’s.

“S-suspect?” he whispered with wide eyes and furrowed eyebrows.

Sehun smirked. He looked back at Jongup and grinned, ‘How ironic. The best detective in town gets to arrest his own son for murder. Haha…’

“I hope that answers all your questions Moon Jongup. Now, let’s get back to the coverage…” Sunhwa continued on, leaving the class in shock with her words. Especially Jongup but except for Sehun.

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------

COMMENT-JUSAEYO~