Ray

Blockbuster

Walking through the streets of Kangnam, Ray admired all the sparkling lights of the store fronts. Music from various clubs were pouring into the street creating a blissful din that brought a small smile to her lips. She wrapped her jacket around her curved frame attempting to shut out the cold, even though her attempts were futile. Ray sighed as she reached into her pocket and pulled out a carton of cigarettes, she held one to her lips almost tasting the nicotine upon her tongue. The lighter clicked sending a spark of warmth towards her face, she breathed in the smoke feeling the embers tickle her lungs. Ray felt herself relax as she breathed out, white smoke filling the air around her. Ray leaned against a wall and watched as men and women walked in and out of the clubs; some drunk, others laughing at some kind of inside joke. Ray took the last drag off her cigarette throwing it on the ground and putting it out swiftly with her boot. She breathed in the fresh air one last time before turning and making her way home.

The night was dark as she weaved in and out of alleyways; they were empty giving off an eerie feeling but Ray paid no attention to it. Ray reached into her pocket once more looking for the cigarette she desired when she bumped into someone dropping her cigarettes.

"Oh, mian-" said a male voice.

Ray looked up picking her packet of cigarettes up and placing one in , a man with sandy brown hair and large chocolate eyes gazed back at her. Ray smirked at him and continued on her way home. She felt the man's eyes burning into her figure, lighting her cigarette she turned to him blowing out smoke and flashed him a smile, "Good night."

He stood there peering at her as her long curls bounced with each step. Ray turned into another alley finally making it to her home. Ray punched the security code in and opened the gate. She flicked her cigarette into the trashcan and pulled out her house keys when the front door clicked open. A woman in her 50's stood there with her arms crossed wearing a stoic face. 

She sighed as she brought her fingers to the bridge of her nose, signaling her annoyance. 

"Ray..." she began.

Ray brushed past her and entered the house, "Yes?"

Her mother closed the door and walked into the kitchen to join Ray, "Where have you been?"

Ray shrugged her jacket off and tied her long curly hair into a messy bun. She turned her back to her mom and opened the fridge, "Out." 

"Out where?"

Ray turned to her mother and shrugged walking past her once more, "Exploring the neighborhood."

Her mother went towards the stairs blocking passage for Ray, "Ray, you promised to change."

Ray pushed past her mother walking up the stairs slowly before turning to her mother once more, "And you promised to be loyal to dad, and yet here you are still with that bastard."

Ray watched as her mother's face changed colors, her rage becoming more apparent. "Ray, Chinho is my husband and your father. You need to show him more respect; he is your elder."

Ray scoffed, "What? Are we following Korean honorifics now too? By moving to Korea does that make us Korean?!"

"Ray..." her mother started.

Ray cut her off, "No. We may live in Seoul, we may speak the language to 'please him,' but let's face it we aren't who he wants us to be."

The door at the bottom of the staircase slid open and a tall slender Korean man about the age of 54 stepped out, "Jaiga?"

Ray glared at him as her wrapped an arm around her mother's waist, "Ray-ah, when did you return home?"

His sharp Korean made Ray wince in disgust, "Why do you care?" 

Chinho widened his eyes at her remark and turned to Ray's mom as if asking her to do something. Ray's mother nodded, "Ray, you need to show respect."

Ray laughed heartily, "I will give him respect when he earns it."

Ray's mother opened to respond, but Ray turned her heel and rushed upstairs to her room sliding the door shut.