Embarrassing

Boys over Towers

 

Baekhyun froze and turned back to his parents. “W-what friend?” He gave a wry smile. His mother returned the smile and turned her attention to Chanyeol’s bad that had once rested on the couch, now moved on the kitchen counter. “Park Chanyeol?” She said as she stared at the nametag that was wrapped around the handle.

“Y-yes.” Baekhyun gulped down and turned around, speed-walking his way towards his rooms, slamming the door shut. A fully dressed Chanyeol was sitting on the bed, a big smile on his face.

“Why are you smiling like that?” Baekhyun said as he lifted his right eyebrow. Chanyeol had looked at Baekhyun, a smile that felt like he was in heaven rested on his lips. “I’m just really happy.” He was giggling now, sending shivers tingling down Baekhyun’s spine. “M-My parents kind of found your bag, and knew you were here… They want you to eat breakfast.”

Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol, expecting fear etching in his face. But Chanyeol immediately sprung from the bed and walked towards Baekhyun, eagerness forming on his face. “They want to meet me? Alright, I want to meet your parents too!” He was staring down at Baekhyun expectantly.

Baekhyun, on the other hand, was not too eager. He sighed and turned around, turning the rusty knob as Chanyeol followed him out of the room. He looked towards his parent’s direction, who was now staring at Chanyeol’s towering figure. Baekhyun could hear his dad clear his throat, his mom throwing a smile.

“You must be Park Chanyeol.” Baekhyun’s dad immediately stood up and stretched out his arm for Chanyeol to shake. Chanyeol suddenly pulled a mature smile and returned the handshake. “Nice meeting you, Mr. Byun.”

Baekhyun was surprised in Chanyeol’s sudden change. He kind of looked… dependable? Baekhyun could see his father’s eyes from under his brown glasses widen in awe, and immediately pulled back and sat down on his chair. “Please, have breakfast.”

If Baekhyun’s father was offering someone food, it means he had passed the test. The test was something Baekhyun’s father said to him when he was young.

If you ever bring home a girlfriend or a boyfriend or whatever, they’ll have to pass my test. I only have to get a good look at them and if I approve, I’ll offer them food. If I don’t, they’re immediately out of the door.

Baekhyun’s mom sighed in relief as Chanyeol took the empty seat beside Baekhyun’s father. “So, Chanyeol-ssi, is our Baek treating you properly?” Baekhyun’s mom suddenly said, placing her hands on the table.

Chanyeol looked up, same dependable smile on his face. “Yes, Mrs. Byun. He’s been very nice to me and I really love him.”

The room suddenly fell silent as both Baekhyun’s parents stared at Chanyeol in amazement. His dad cleared his throat again and went back to going through the newspaper. “Omo.” Baekhyun looked to his right to see a very enthusiastic smile on his mom’s face. “Really? You really love our little Baekhyun?”

“Yes,” he said as he looked towards Baekhyun’s direction. “I’m willing to take care of him as long as he allows me to.” Baekhyun swallowed, trying his best to hide the redness in his cheeks. He bowed his head as he played with the fruit yogurt that his mom had passed unto him.

The rest of the breakfast went on for another hour, just Chanyeol, Baekhyun’s mom and dad going on about random stuff on the news. Baekhyun knew that his parents were testing the guy, and felt bad that Chanyeol had to go through all of this. But whenever Baekhyun decided to look at Chanyeol, he seemed to be enjoying himself. He couldn’t help but get into the conversation as well, making the usual quiet home go roudy with laughter.

“Please do come back and have lunch with us another time! The sooner the better.” Baekhyun’s mom said as she held both of Chanyeol’s hands in her own. Chanyeol bowed in respect as the car he had called in for earlier greeted him in the driveway.

As the car left the neighborhood, Baekhyun’s mom smiled at her son as they went back into the house. She didn’t say anything, but looked incredibly happy that Baekhyun was able to have someone like Chanyeol around. His dad just patted him in the back, his teeth finally showing itself after a long time.

Maybe he is lucky that he met Park Chanyeol.

---------------

Baekhyun’s weekend passed and Monday came, the only place Baekhyun enjoyed. He sighed and winced at the searing pain still fresh in the lower part of his body. He searched stuff online and was assured that the pain would go away the next day but it’s already been 2 days and he still felt like his lower body was going to collapse any moment.

Baekhyun walked to Calculus, his first class. He sat down on one of the chairs, hugging the table as he did. “It’s been long, buddy.” He said as he rubbed his cheek on the (surely) dirty table.

“Disgusting.” Tao said from behind him. He immediately shot up and greeted the boy. Tao could only shrug, and proceeded to place his legs on the table. Jongin and Sehun had come into the classroom right as the teacher opened the door, shouting “safe!” as they did so.

The day was painfully normal until Lunch. Jongin dragged Baekhyun and Sehun to “the” table, sat them down and ate like a bunch of normal students. Baekhyu ncouldn’t feel the tension between Tao and Kris anymore. In fact, they closely sat together and Tao would pass Kris his food, Kris looking like he was out of it.

Baekhyun felt happy for the two. Something probably happened again and they’re back to normal. Sehun and Luhan on the other hand were still highly awkward around each other. Sehun sat beside Chanyeol, sighing as he stirred the soup in his bowl.

Luhan was sitting beside Baekhyun, probably slouching a lot more than he should. Baekhyun could feel that these two were miserable, and wanted to play cupid once again.

He immediately got his phone out, rapidly typing into the frayed keyboard. Hey, go to the mall with me after school. Once he was done, he stared at Sehun and waited for him to check his phone. Sehun flinched at the sound of his ring tone and immediately checked it.

Baekhyun could feel Luhan look up when the phone rang, and immediately went back to playing with what’s left of his food. Baekhyun patiently watch Sehun look at him, typing words on his touch phone.

When Baekhyun’s phone rang, he immediately picked up from the table and flipped it open. Why?

Baekhyun puffed his cheeks. In the past, whenever Baekhyun asked Sehun out, he’d immediately say yes. Because I want to go! He swiftly dug into the buttons, making loud annoying rings as he did so.

Why do you want me to go? You have Park Chanyeol.

I can’t ask Chanyeol right now, we’re still on awkward terms.

Boo-ing-hoo.

Sehun, come on pleaaaaaaasssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeee I’ll buy you ice cream.

Baekhyun waited for a reply, but Sehun had momentarily stared at his phone.

Deal.

---------------

Baekhyun was at the bus stop, waiting patiently for Sehun to come up at the corner. When he finally did, they both got unto the blue bus and arrived at the local mall.

“What did you want to do here?” Sehun said as he stared at the rotting structure. “I hate going to the mall, it’s like going somewhere to degrade myself.” Baekhyun shrugged and grabbed Sehun by the arm.

Baekhyun had asked Chanyeol to bring Luhan to the same mall, hoping they’d be able to patch things up between the two. Chanyeol looked flustered but agreed to it anyway, making sure he’s be able to bring Luhan there by 4 pm.

They aimlessly walked through the spacious mall, probably holding around 100 shops. “What are we doing here?” Sehun asked as they probably circumnavigated the whole first three floors. “I’m looking for something.” Baekhyun covered. He was waiting for Chanyeol’s call, and it was already quarter to 4. “Park Chanyeol…” he said from under his voice.

It was closely coming to 6 pm and Baekhyun felt himself exhausted. “I'll buy your ice cream, there's a shop right outside.” Baekhyun said as he scratched his eyelids. “You didn’t even get anything!” Sehun said as he caught up to Baekhyun. “I’m sorry.” Baekhyun could only pout. It probably worked since Sehun quieted down, slowly following Baekhyun towards the exit of the mall.

As they went through the revolving doors, they were immediately surrounded by a bunch of men in white suits. “W-white suits?!” Sehun shouted as he fell to the ground. One of the men stepped out of the circle and walked towards Sehun, heaved him up to his shoulder and walked towards the white limousine that stretched in front of the mall’s driveway. Baekhyun sighed in relief as the men filled out, taking Sehun away.

That kind of reaction was a weird one if some guys in white were suddenly kidnapping your best friend, but he knew whom those men worked for. He kicked at the ground walked towards the bus stop, a feeling of accomplishment enveloping him. 

-----------------

so i'll patch things up first with hunhan before i put sulay and xuichen in lol

i think i'll be ending this soon (not really that soon i'm probably going to try to pass the chapter 40 mark i'm sorry) BUT i'll be putting up a sequel so yeah to the people who read this through from start to finish, I think i luv u <333333

thanks for reading!