Chapter 15

Stay by my side.

I want and want you – and one more thing
I hurt and hurt but still, just once
Even if it wears out and wears out
Even if the tears don’t dry
If only we can go back to the beginning

 

I sang 'And One' by Taeyeon softly to Darnell who is sleeping in her room. I laid beside her, her cheeks and wept as I recalled what I saw earlier. 

I heard keys sounds and I knew Daniel are back. I didn't make the effort to check him out or ask if he was tired or help him keep his suitcase or anything. I just wanted to lay back and sleep with Darnell tonight. I refused to talk to him. I refused to look at him.

We've not been talking to each other since morning. He would've usually kiss me goodbye before leaving for work but not in the morning. He only kissed Darnell and went off.

In the midst of half singing and half crying to Darnell, I heard the door creaked open. I immediately stopped singing and shut my eyes pretending to be asleep.

I heard Daniel's footstep nearing. Then, I could feel his lips touching my cheek as he wished, 'Goodnight'. He did the same thing to Darnell before closing back the door. 


Daniel's POV

I stirred the coffee in my cup while staring at the road side. How did Lisa knew about me lying to her? Even if she did some stalking, oh hey she must be one good secret agent.

I pursed my lips and breathe out some air.

"Hey." Simon joined in the empty seat in the cafe.

"Hey, come on. Have some coffee." I raised my hand to call in for the waiter.

"Hot latte for me. Thanks" Simon ordered.

After the waitress left the area,Simon sighed, "Why did you do that?"

"Do what?" I asked in confusion.

"Lisa.."

"Oh, so it was you who told her everything.." I scrunched my eyebrows a little.

Bingo. I bet she found out things from Simon. She and Simon do still contact each other so I won't be surprised if Simon spat everything out to her.

"I didn't tell her! She told me another different story from you. She said you went to work the previous night. I wondered why was she blabbering nonsense so I tried tomcorrect her.. But why did you lie to her?" He questioned me.

"Lie about what?" I frowned and stirred my coffee again.

"What is this you wanna hide, Daniel Chae? I saw you drinking in a club. I- I seriously thought you were with Lisa. Because it was suppose to be your off day that day. I just wish my eyes was telling me lies but that person wasn't Lisa. It was Nicole. Right?" Simon stated what he saw which literally made me bois up.

"She- She just need some help. I was just- just trying to help her," I sighed.

"Help Nicole? The person who threatened your wife? Wake up, Danny. You have a family. You have Darnell now. You don't want things to go the other way round, do you?"

"Don't try to teach me, Simon. I know what I am doing." I raised my voice.

My heart was beating so fast. Anger engulfed me.

"Don't regret later, Danny. I know Nicole definitely have things masked up. Anyway, I only called Lisa to ask for your new number. I didn't know you changed your number because Inati and the boys are still holding on to your old on. I remembered Lisa writing down her number on a piece of paper so that's why I thought of calling her. I'll get going now." 

Simon stood up and left the cafe. I leaned back on my chair and let out a huge sigh.


Lisa's POV

"Mommy, will you buy me an ice-cream over there?" Darnell asked as she pointed to the Ice-cream stall near the traffic light.

I smiled and nodded my head.

"What flavour do you like, honey?" 

"Ummm... Stwabewwy and banilllaa..!!" She squealed.

I chuckled at her cute pronounciation and went to queue for the ice-cream.

"1 mix strawberry and vanilla ice -cream please." 

"Here you go, mam. Thank you."

"Okay.. here's your stwabewwy and banilla ice cream.." I jokingly impersonates her which literally made her flushed in embarrassment.

"Awwwiiee, mommy....!! You're so badd.." She pouted.

"I was just joking, honey." I chuckled.

"Mommy, do you want? it! It taste like the rainbows!" She shoved the ice-cream nearer to me.

"Ummmm.. It's beyond amazing.. Yum,yum.. And, honey how did you know the taste of a rainbow?" I asked her in curiousity.

"Because, daddy once told me that if you tries something that is soooo wonderful, it taste like a rainbow!!" She beamed.

I looked at how happy she were when she mentioned her dad. I forced out a painful smile just to show her I'm ok.

"Then.. Then mommy.. What do you think taste or feel like a rainbow to you?" 

"Ummm, when I'm in your daddy's embrace..? Or when you hugged me..?" I replied to her while trying my best not to cry.

"Awwwie... Mommy... cheer up.. Things might be rough now.. But soon it'll be fine..." She presented an angelic smile.

"I love you,sweetie." 

"Ehem, ehem!" 

Just then, a figure appears infront of me. I looked up to see who it was. It was that brat that I hated the most.

"Woahhh, she's a big girl now,eh?" Nicole scoffed as she looked down at little Darnell.

Like as if she knew something bad about her, Darnell hides herself behind my legs and tried peeping to see what Nicole was doing then.

"How can I help you,Nicole?" I asked her coldly hoping that she'd vanish any time soon.

"Oh wow, you haven't changed one bit,huh?" She smirked.

"Asks yourself. It's like the pot calling the kettle black." I shot her with that powerful venom.

She gave me that glare as she gritted her teeth.

"If your dog isn't here strolling with you, I would have kicked you and shame you infront of the public. But too bad, she's even hiding behind you now. Good doggy." Nicole mocked.

"Excuse me, who the are you to call my daughter a dog? Are you trying to call yourself that? But you used my daughter's name to cover everything up?!" I spit it out right in her face.

"Mommy, mommy. Who is this evil meanie here? What does she wants?" Darnell pulled my arms.

"She's is just one broomstick here who is trying to ruin everything but she thinks she is stronger than everyone when all she knows.." I took in a deep breath to calm myself down and paused.

"All she knows is to sell her body to someone that already has a wife. How shame of you!" I screamed at her.

Within seconds, she immediately raised her right arm and swing it forward. I shut my eyes ready to accept her hit because at least I knew I've made her felt flabbergasted.

However, before it landed on my face, I heard Darnell screaming.

"Nooooooo!" She shouted, half crying. 

I shot my eyes opened to see Darnell standing infront of me trying to stop Nicole from doing what she was about to do. Nicole stopped but her hands was still up in the air ready to slap.

She looked at Darnell with fury eyes as she breathed in and out. 

My breathings became uneven as I was worried what might happen next. She might just do something that will harm Darnell.

"Please stop disturbing my mommy.. It's obvious she doesn't want to talk to you." Darnell bravely said that to Nicole.

She turned around and looked at me and-

Everything happened so ing fast.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing

Right

Before

My

Eyes....

"Mooommy!!!!!!!!" Darnell cried.

My lips were shaking so terribly when I saw what happen seconds ago.

-A little bit flashback about what Nicole did to Darnell-

As Darnell was about to turn around and walk towards me, fast like the lightning, Nicole immediately pulled Darnell's hair which made her flinched in pain and fall backwards. Her ice-cream dropped on the floor. And as Darnell tries her best to stand up and run towards me with tears already blurring her vision, Nicole pushed her small petite body away which made Darnell lose her balance and fall. She accidentally hit her elbow on the bricks on the wall. Thus, making it bleeds profusely.

Just like those in dramas, when I ran towards Darnell, it felt like it's being slow-motioned. I could see Darnell's crying face and her wailing voice flooding my ears.

"Darnell!!!" I hollered and hugged her tightly.

Darnell cried louder and groaned in pain. I felt  sympathetic seeing her in that state. My visions became blurry as I began to cry my eyes out. I didn't want anything to happen to my baby. 

She's too young to be facing all of this, dear god. 

I can't afford to see her suffering..

Oh god, why must she be the one suffering this pain with me...?

My eyes went searching for Nicole as I tried to calm myself down. Deep down I was cursing her. Nicole was already looking at me smirking at me without feeling a sense of guilt in her. But right after, I saw a hand came in contact directly on her face. Someone has given her a very nice tight slap on behalf of me.

 

Daniel?


Daniel's POV

Simon and I decided to have lunch at the Japanese restaurant a few blocks away from our office as the normal restaurant we usually go to is exceptionally crowded today.

As we were waiting for the traffic light to turn green, Simon nudged me on the elbow and pointed to the 2 ladies talking to each other across the street.

"That's Lisa and Darnell. She's talking to.. Nicole?!" Simon said almost choked when he saw the lady opposite the other was Nicole.

The moment when I sat my eyes on them, everything that I happened to saw, I wished was just a nightmare.

"She just pushed Darnell- Oh my ! What just happened-" Simon sweared.

Without wasting anymore time, I dashed towards the other side of the street without waiting for the traffic. I cut across the roadside not minding about my safety but my wife's and Darnell's safety.

"Daniel!" I heard Simon calling out for my name but I ignored.

My heart was boiling and my face became warm. I gritted my teeth and clenched my fist as my heart was foaming with anger.

"SLAP!"

I landed a huge tight smack on her face.

"What the did you just do to her?!" I roared. 

I could feel my chest burning in rage.

"Oppa?!" Nicole gasped in surprise.

"Don't ing call me 'oppa' you ! You don't ing deserve my help!" I yelled in her face almost giving her another round of tight slap before Simon came into the scene stopping me from doing so.

"Daniel..." Lisa cried.

I looked at her and she shook her head asking to break it off.

"Did you see that..? Did you see that she's trying to protect you after what you've done to her and her daughter? If it wasn't for her asking me to control my emotion, I would have beaten you up like an animal..." I told her as tears unconditionally flows out from my eyes.

"Why did I even agreed to help you in the first place..?" I continued as guilt engulfed me. "You told me you were facing some difficulties with your family so I agreed to help you.. I didn't know you were trying to take advantage of me.. What kind of person are you, Nicole..? What do you want from me and my family..?" 

My legs became weak as I fall down on my knees. 

"ERRRGHH!" Nicole screamed and stomped off her feet.

The whole situation caught so many eyes watching but I couldn't care less.


Daniel's POV

"Is it still hurting honey?" Lisa put on a bandaged around Darnell's little elbow.

"It is mommy. But i'll be fine. I'm strong, remember." She kissed her cheek.

"That's my darling.. It'll heal soon if you always pray to god ok?" Lisa smiled and hugged her tight.

I watched the conversation of a daughter and a mother. 

It was the most beautiful thing ever. I thought. I still feel a pang of guilt in me. I didn't know how should I start. Sigh.

Maybe this was a test god gave us.

Lisa stood up to put back the first aid box in the kitchen when she caught me looking. The smile on her face immediately disappeared and she walked pssed  without looking at me.

I know she was still upset with me. I deserve this. Yes, I do.

"Darnell, sweetie. Come,it's late. Daddy shall bring you to sleep." I took her by the hand and carried her up.

"But, mommy wants to sleep with me.. She said she will bring me to sleep." She pouted.

Sleep with you..?

"Darnell, you should be going to sleep first, alright? I'll join you later alright honey. Goodnight." Lisa interrupted as she carries the clean laundry into the basket.

"Okayy.. but mommy I want a goodnight kiss...!" 

"Muahh, sleep tight honey." Lisa kissed her forehead. 

She still didn't want to have any eye contact with me. Pretended that I wasn't there when I was watching all the while.

I pushed the door open and lay Darnell down on her bed. I on only the table lamp.

"Is it romantic with just you and me in the room?" I winked.

"Heheh, it must be more romantic if you and mommy in the room.." Darnell expressed.

She pulled the blanket up till her chest herself and adjusted the pillow underneathe her head. I smiled to myself as I watch her fix her things herself. She's all grown up. More like her mommy. Very independent.

I sat beside her on the bed and let her play with my fingers.

"Daddy..." 

"U-hhm?"

"It that auntie didn't appeared, today might be on of the best day in my life..." She starts her story.

"U-huh..? Really? What makes you love today.. except for the latest part..?" I asked her in curiousity.

"Mommy treats me stwabewwy banilla ice cream.."

I chuckled and repeated her pronounciation on the 'Strawbewwy banilla' ice cream and she coo-ed because she said I was trying to .

"Daddy..!! You're just lke mommy... Trying to tease about my pronounciation.." Darnell pouted.

"Ahaha.. She did..?"

"Yup.. anyway..It was amazing! I told mommy it taste like rainbows and she asked me if i knew how rainbows taste like.And I told her about what you shared with me, that when you taste something so wonderful it-"

"tastes like rainbows..! Hahaha.." I joined in and laughed.

"Yayyy! Smartie Daddy..!" She cheered.

"Aigoo you smart girl.." I cupped her cheeks and give a peck on her lips.

"Then.. I asked mommy what is the thing that she thinks feel/taste like a rainbow in her life.." She turned her head and looked at me.

"U-huh. .and?"

"...and she said to be in daddy's embrace.." Darnell said as she tries to immitate the way Lisa speaks.

Everything went silent after that. Darnell's last sentence left me hanging like that.

Guilty. Bad. 

All that I am feeling right now.

"Okay.. Go to sleep now. It's late.. Sleep tight. Dream of me. I love you,sweetie. " I said and kissed her nose.

"I want to dream of you and mommy. Goodnight daddy. Love you too."

I off the table lamp and close her room's door.


Another chapter updated! 

Subscribe, comment, enjoy!! :)

-Ell