Training with the Hunters

Howls Combined

my computer's freaking crazy!!! the 'E's sometimes don't work so i made typos and other people bother me so I have to write this chapter all over again!!

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

here's your first hunting lesson!!!


 

Eunji's POV:

One week passed. I no longer had that pain in my neck. I switched form into a wolf any time I want. I still have those weird dreams, though, the one with the White Wolf in it.

"Yah, Eunji-ah!" Suho called me from the front door. I rolled my eyes and sighed. He promised me he'd take me to hunting lessons today. Argh, why Saturday?

"I'm coming, I'm coming!" I groaned. I took my jacket and house keys, running to the front door.

"What took you so long?" Suho asked. "It's 6:20 a.m. What's the point of waking up so early?" I flinched.

"Deers usually feed at dawn, so it's the perfect time," D.O answered. "Wait, you didn't tell me you'd bring them," I said, pointing to D.O and Baekhyun.

"They're hunters, what'd you expect? An Alpha and a White newbie alone?" Suho smirked. "Whatever. Why can't you just switch forms instead of driving?" I asked when I saw their car.

"It's daylight, so people can get suspicious," Baekhyun told me as he opened the door for me. I scoffed and rolled my eyes at him.

"So, are you nervous?" D.O asked as Suho started driving. "Fifty-fifty," I said, gulping. I saw D.O scoffed and smirked. Baekhyun got closer to me.

"He's the Lead Hunter. He takes hunting really easily," he whispered to me.

"I heard that, Baek!" D.O snarled, Baekhyun sighed and leaned to the back. I saw Suho rolling his eyes at his two hunters.

Around 10 minutes later, Suho stopped at the forest entrance. We got out of the car and started walking into the forest.

Once we were far enough from the streets, Suho told me to switch forms. "From here, we'll run," he said as we started dashing to the river. We sat down and began the lesson.

"So, Eunji, there are 5 stages for a wolf's hunt. The first one is to locate your prey. We locate them either by scent, chance encounter, or tracking. We typically locate our prey by scent, though we must usually be directly downwind of it. When a breeze carrying the prey's scent is located, we stand alert, and point our eyes, ears and nose towards our target. In open areas, we may precede the hunt with group ceremonies involving standing nose-to-nose and wagging our tails. Once concluded, we head towards our prey," D.O started. I nodded.

"The second is called 'the stalk', where we attempt to conceal ourselves as we approach. As the gap between us and our prey closes, we quicken our pace, wag our tails, and peer intently, getting as close to our quarry as possible, without making it flee," Baekhyun continued.

"The third is called 'the encounter'. Once the prey detects us, it can either approach us, stand its ground, or flee. Large prey, such as moose, elk, and muskoxen, usually stand their ground. Should this occur, we hold back, as we require the stimulus of a running animal to proceed with an attack. If the targeted animal stands its ground, we either ignore it, or try to intimidate it into running," Suho said.

"The fourth is my favorite, called 'the rush'. If the prey attempts to flee, we immediately pursue it. This is the most critical stage of the hunt, as we might never catch up with the prey running at top speed. If the prey is travelling in a group, we either attempt to break up the herd, or isolate one or two animals from it," D.O smirked.

"The last one is called 'the chase', a continuation of ‘the rush’, we attempt to catch up with our prey and kill it. When chasing small prey, we attempt to catch up with our prey as soon as possible, while with larger animals, ‘the chase’ is prolonged, in order to wear the selected prey out. We usually give up chases after 1–2 kilometers.Some other wolves drive prey onto crusted ice, precipices, ravines, slopes and steep banks to slow them down," Suho finished.

"Got it," I said as we stood up. "Now, Eunji, try to locate a prey," D.O ordered me. I closed my eyes and inhaled the air. I opened my eyes and looked to the other side of the river. "Red deers," I told them, "on the other side of this river."

D.O smirked. "You got it," he praised me. We swam to the other side and walked into the forest. I sniffed the air, tracking the scent. Once the scent is strong enough, I turned my head to see a deer feeding at the meadow. I widened my eyes and smiled.

"Guys, over there!" I whispered. They looked at the meadow, also seeing it.

"Good job," Baekhyun said. We crouched and approached the deer, hiding in the tall grass.

"Wait," Suho ordered. At that very moment, the deer turned to our direction. It stood on its ground, just like Suho told us. He and D.O smirked, looked at each other, then at me. "Allow us to show you how it's done," Suho offered, I nodded and his smirk grew wider. They crouched lower and walked in seperate ways. "We can help, though," Baekhyun whispered as we moved to the trees.

When the deer started to walk back, Suho started the attack. He pounced at the deer, barking. D.O followed from the right. The prey escaped and started running into the forest. Before it could, Baekhyun and I barked at it, blocking its way. We circled the deer, waiting for the time to pounce. D.O reached for his rear left leg, Baekhyun the front right leg, and Suho pounced and bit its neck. I watched as the deer collapse to the ground.

"Omo! It looked so easy for you guys!" I commented. "You helped, though," Baekhyun high-fived D.O and smiled at me. I rolled my eyes when I saw Suho eating the deer first, as he was the Alpha. D.O was the next to eat. "Dig yourself in, Baek," he said with his mouth full. I giggled.

"You wanna try some?" Suho offered, pushing the deer to me. I gulped. "Uh, I'm not really sure that--"

"Eunji, I know you're tired. And you haven't had breakfast yet. You should eat," Suho told me. "Okay... Just one bite, though," I sighed as I took a bite of the deer, chewing a few times. Hmm... Not bad, not bad. It's kinda tasty.

I moved forward and sniffed its blood. "Hmm, not bad, actually," I said, digging myself in. "Hah! You should see yourself! A minute ago you refused like some kinda human and now you actually eat like a wolf!" Baekhyun teased. I shot him an icy glare. "I already AM a wolf, Baek," I told him.

"We'll bring this back to the den. You can come if you like," Suho told me. I widened my eyes and smiled. "I'd love to!" I ran beside Suho as D.O and Baekhyun carried two lumps deer's 'amputated' legs.


first training of yours, success!

I think EXO-M will appear on the next chapter