A Closer Look

Bastard in the Mirror

I'd like to say a big thank you to my first 7 subscribers: zarin86, irakwonde, kloweanime, Skydragon21, sophiee, donkade, and MerodiasuSairenHime! I hope you all enjoy this first chapter!

 

____

 

6 Months Later

“It sounds good, Dae, we should wrap it up, it’s getting late,” I spoke through the microphone to the platinum blonde singer I was working with. I’ve been collaborating with him for a while, ever since I first moved into my apartment six months ago. Daesung’s a really great singer, I felt really accomplished to be working with him. Not only that, but he’s pretty polite, kind of like a gentleman. He nodded from inside of the sound booth and hung his headphones atop of the neck of the mike. I adjusted some switches and buttons as he came out and leaned on my chair, looming over me. “So, I could work on this at home and get it back to you tomorrow,” I handed him another pair of headphones so he could listen to my work and he nodded in rhythm as he listened. I liked that a lot!

“It sounds good, alright, I’ll see you tomorrow Ji,” we clapped hands and he walked out of the studio, probably heading home. At that moment, my phone buzzed and I immediately answered it.

“Yobosaeyo?”

“Jiyong! You home yet?” Dara asked me and I smirked to myself. Yep, one of the best things happened to me in these past 6 months. Turns out Dara was interested in me as well, we’ve been dating for 5 months now! I swear, I’ve never been happier with another person in my whole life! She just makes me feel amazing!

“Ani, not yet. I’m gonna be a bit late so don’t wait up,” I instructed and she sighed.

“You know I get lonely easily,” she whined and I chuckled slightly.

“I’ll visit you tomorrow, okay?” I suggested and she groaned loudly in response.

“Alright, love you,” she finally cooed.

“I love you too Dara, see you later,” I mumbled and we both hung up. As I wound things up and packed away, I froze in my place as I reached for my backpack. Ugh, I promised myself I’d uncover that mirror and I haven’t done it yet…I told myself to fight my fears but after I draped the mirror with a cloth it’s been sitting in my room with dust starting to collect on it. My mind was still blank about the whole thing, why would Tablo give me that? I mindlessly shrugged off the question and forced myself to go home and uncover that thing if it was the last thing I would do! It could be…

“Shut it,” I groaned inwardly and proceeded home with my ear-buds shoved in.

Arriving at my apartment well after 9, I kicked off my shoes and the lights. I had furnished it and stocked it with food. Now all I had to do was get used to this mirror. Throwing my backpack on my black leather couch, I went towards my bedroom, comforting myself before entering. “It’s just your reflection, you’re gonna go in there and ask some questions. That’s all,” I breathed, my heart began beating quickly again. It’s magic, it has to be. But, yet again, you’re not a big believer in magic. For all you know it could’ve been Blo pulling a prank on you. No, Blo wasn’t that determined he would’ve told me the moment I stepped out of my apartment it was him. Besides, that voice came from inside your mirror. I walked inside and hurriedly yanked off the cloth. My pulse jumped as I noticed my reflection sitting against the wall. He looked at me and sighed deeply, standing up and cracking his back with a few loud popping sounds.

“Finally, I was wondering when you were gonna keep that promise of yours,” he mumbled and scratched his back. I plopped on my bed, staring straight at him as he did the same.

“What are you?” I asked and he smirked.

“I’m you! Just, in a different world,” he said simply, as if it would click in my head. Seeing that my mind was still blank, he rolled his eyes and continued forward. “This mirror portrays whoever looks at it in an alternate universe meaning I’m your opposite. I’m kind of like the darker you, the one who thinks or says the stuff you’re scared of saying,” he grinned and I scoffed.

“Please, what is this ‘alternate universe’ then?” I used my fingers to put air quotes around those words and he stood up, walking closer to me. My nervousness suddenly escalated when he held out his arm. He held his palm up and waited.

“You want a look?” he asked softly, with a dull gleam in his eyes and a grin where I had trouble trusting him with. If he’s telling the truth, then he won’t hurt me since I’m his other half. I shakily stood up, took a few steps forward, and touched the glass so that my fingers went through. As I felt it wasn't solid, he pulled me through the glass. I let out a yelp and shut my eyes as the awkward feeling of being submerged in Jell-O subsided. My feet touched the ground but I still had my eyes clamped shut.

“Are we safe? Is it okay for me to look at your world?” I asked feeling a little frightened and he chuckled, smacking my back.

“It’s fine,” he assured and I slowly opened my eyes, letting my shoulders relax as I looked around.

I turned around, taking in his/my apartment in an alternate universe. It was darker than mine, instead of white walls they were hunter green. His apartment wasn’t as spacious or large as mine; there were many blocking walls and small halls to even smaller rooms. He plopped down on his olive green suede couch and smiled at me. “You know, I never knew that my favorite color was something other than green,” he told me and I continued to stand. My mind was slightly getting more used to this, I mean, I was able to grasp the idea of this world through the mirror behind me. Still the idea of all of this was difficult to get especially for someone who doesn’t believe in magic.

“This is so weird,” I mumbled and he stood up then, walking into his kitchen and pulling out a bottle of water. He tossed it to me and I caught it with little alarm.

“For you, but to me, this is home,” he sighed deeply and ran a hand through his hair, symmetrical to mine with the blonde, pink, blue, and other colors. I guess I understood where he was coming from. If this was my world in his point of view then it must be pretty normal. “Instead of Jiyong they call me Ji, and instead of working at a recording studio as a producer I don’t necessarily work,” he shrugged and I raised an eyebrow. “I told you, I’m your opposite. In fact everyone’s opposite lives here,” Ji stood up and led me outside of his apartment. We ran down the stairs and out the complex. Suddenly, things got even weirder.

“Woah what the ?” I looked down at my feet; there were no streets, no cars, and no sidewalks, everyone seemed to walk. The buildings were all dark colored; it held a very high sense of superiority yet modest look. On the floor, there were clouds instead of actual ground. It was literally a cloud; the sky was on the floor! As I looked up, I noticed the light wasn’t blue or grey but in fact a golden/pinkish hue. No sun shone, I don’t think they necessarily needed one. The air was also quite moderate, about mid-60’s which was nice.

“Cool huh?” Ji grinned and the people passing by didn’t even take a second glance at two Ji’s. I frowned slightly at their casualty.

“Is this normal here?” I asked him.

“Ani, but it’s expected at some time to find your parallel. Everyone here has a mirror and that mirror needs to be occupied by their other half in order for it to actually work,” he explained and began showing me around. The only thing that seemed somewhat natural was the fountain in the middle of what seemed to be a plaza. The stores around all had different specializations, grocery, clothing, even something called “Parallel Needs”. It was carved from stone; the top part was a glorious city carved with enormous detail and beauty even with just one bland color. On the bottom was the same color and material but it was messy, sloppy, unlike the masterpiece above it. The water leaked from the top city’s highest building and dripped to the bottom one’s lowest building or the one closest to the bath. I wasn't sure how it refilled itself though. “Ah, this is how we portray our world to yours,” he grinned and gestured to both sides. “Yours is the top and ours is the bottom, since we are the darker side we tend to be the worst side of you.”

“It’s nice,” I simply said and he nodded. As I continued to look at the sculpture, Ji immediately began shaking me vigorously. “Woah!”

“Dude! Come on! I have to introduce you to someone,” he pulled at my collar, dragging me away from the center and into the store with the sign “Parallel Needs”.

“What the Hell is this place for?” actually, it seemed very similar to what stores in my world looked like. I was shocked how well it came in part with my world.

“When we do find our other half this is the place to go to considering I’m your opposite you won’t find things you like at my place, but that’s not what I wanted to show you,” he said quickly, dragging me through aisles and aisles until he stopped making me bump into him clumsily. He continued to stare off into the distance smiling sheepishly. I looked from him to the farther off area; all I saw was a long line of people at the cashier line. Some of the people had doubles; you could definitely tell which one was from my world and who was in Ji’s. The person who looked around more frequently was definitely from my world.

“What are you goggling at?” I questioned and he leisurely lifted his hand to point at the cashier. He smirked and flipped his hair back, I frowned at the girl. That does not look like Dara! She had straight bleached blonde hair with horizontal black stripes and cat-like eyes, a bright smile, and a beautiful v-line facial structure. I admit, the girl was gorgeous but my heart was still with Dara.

That’s the girl you should be interested in, HunChae,” he whispered dreamily and pulled me forward, rushing in front of everybody causing an uproar until “HunChae” yelled at them to ‘shut the Hell up’. “Hey, Chae, this is Jiyong. Do you think you can spare me some employee discount? YG’s real generous with that stuff,” Ji told her and she glanced at me, smiling invitingly.

“Fine, but if he’s not okay with it you’re taking the blame this time,” she told him and he kissed her cheek lightly.

“Gamsa Babe, come on Jiyong!” he began pulling me to the second floor until I forced him to stop. Things were getting crazy! Things were getting really personal! What the Hell is happening? Where the is Dara? I thought this was an alternate universe of my world! I felt heat crawling up my neck and towards my cheeks, it was hurting my head.

“Woah! Slow the down Ji!” I ordered and he stopped, looking at me with an eyebrow raised.

“Calm down, Jiyong, I didn’t think that you would cuss out considering how much I do,” he smirked but I wasn’t in the mood to be playing with him. I took a stiff step towards him and he looked back with even more seriousness, wondering what was going on probably.

“Where’s Dara’s double?” I asked strictly and Ji opened his mouth to an “O” shape. He shifted uncomfortably and then gulped nervously; I didn’t think he’d be nervous considering how much I get nervous. He fanned off his jacket and cleared his throat.

“Can I show you later? After shopping for some of your stuff I’ll tell you about her in this world,” he told me and I breathed deeply.

“Fine.”