T'was The Night Before Christmas

Fireflies: The Man From Nowhere Sequel

T'was The Night Before Christmas

 

"They are very discrete and highly organized," Chi-gon shared. "After further digging, we found that not only that the kids who were rescued based on So-Mi's lead, disappeared; but remember the welfare home that was reported for abuse and was shut down?"

"Uh uh," Daelseo nodded, remembering the news coverage of the case.

"The kids who were on their way for the transfer, disappeared too."

All three men were gathered in the apartment living room.

Heatedly discussing the possible connections to So-Mi's recent attacks.

Well, at least Kim and Dalseo were.

Tae-sik just sat on the side, quietly absorbing the information.

Furiously trying to connect the dots to events and enemies of the past.

"We managed to trace one of them. An 8 year old," Kim continued. "He was already in the states with a respectable family."

Both his listeners sat up in attention.

"And the money for his 'adoption' was paid handsomely. In 2 parts. One, in terms of cash into a Swiss account and the other part made out to an orphanage in Uganda."

Kim showed photocopies of the online transactions.

And pictures of the Uganda orphanage, before and after receiving the donation.

"Another one we traced, was to another foreign account and an orphanage in Korea. Both accounts were shut down a few days later after the money was withdrawn."

"Robin Hood syndrome?" Dalseo asked.

"Looks like it, doesn't it?" Kim answered.

"What about the adoption papers?" Tae-sik asked, scanning the photocopies Kim brought.

"All legit, from the national registrar. But we can't trace their source. The local orphanages they were from were named in the form, but no one's owning up."

 

The door bell rang.

Making Kim and Dalseo sat up in attention.

"It's Lee," Tae-sik explained, as he got up to open the front door. "He's taking So-Mi out."

On his way to let the guest in, Tae-sik knocked So-Mi's door nonchalantly.

"Lee's here," he announced, getting a muffled acknowledgement for the girl in the room.

 

"Anyeong."

"Anyeong."

Two pairs of sharp eyes scrutinized the young guest.

Taking note of his impeccable dressing and confident aura.

Yet, there was also a certain degree of nervousness simmering underneath.

Skin slightly darker than the normal Korean.

Aah... Detective Lee, we meet at last, So-Mi's two self appointed guardians thought simultaneously.

 

"So, where did you graduate?"

And hence begin the interrogation, Lee thought.

"Sungkyunkwan, like So-Mi."

"Not at the academy? So, you're a graduate officer?"

Graduate officers were law enforcers who entered the force straight to inspector level, by passing the rank and files, often to the latters' changrin.

Kim himself was a rank and file.

Riding up the police force career ladder the tough way.

"Where did you grow up," Dalseo asked noting the distinct Seoul accent.

"Right here in Seoul."

"You are an orphan though."

"How did you know that," he laughed. "So Mi?"

"Neh, we interrogate her on her boyfriends you see," Dalseo answered again.

Not disclosing the fact that he actually did a search on Lee.

"Yes, I am an orphan. But I have a sister who was already working and she put me through school."

"How far do you intend to go with the force," the question came from the 'rank and filer'.

"As far as I can, sir." 

Lee thought exasperatingly, will these ever approve of me for their beloved So-Mi.

If I'm too humble, they'll say I lack direction.

If I sound ambitious, they'll go further and term me arrogant.

It was a no-win solution.

So, brave Lee Min-sung went direct.

"Sirs, I really like So-Mi. i know I will never be good enough for her in your eyes. But I believe you would agree with me, that So-Mi is a very special girl. So, please give me the blessing to officially court her. I will do me utmost best to make her happy. So, if I can get your blessings, I would be truly honored."

Throughout the interrogation, Tae-sik sat on the side, observing his two friends' antics with quiet amusement.

But at Lee's declaration, the ahjussi finally spoke.

"So-Mi is not ours to give away. That honor belongs to her parents."

So what does that mean, Lee thought to himself. It's actually you whom I'm asking. I have a feeling that it will be much easier getting So-Mi's parents' consent than yours.

Of course that line of the conversation did not take place.

But with the two intense stare both men gave each other, they both knew what the line of questioning was.

But the real answer was not really given.

What are you doing, Tae-sik? He asked himself. In view of what was happening, isn't it good that So-Mi has someone she cares, looking out for her. Especially should anything happens to you?

The two pairs of eyes continued to stare down at each other.

Not really hostile but definitely not friendly either.

Seeing how Tae-sik just kept silent, and how the air was getting thicker by the second, Dalseo answered for them.

"Apart from So-Mi's parents, you must know that she has the three of us too."

At which point, Dalseo stared his young opponent down.

Unfortunately, the young suitor met the stare with equal fervor - again polite but not backing down.

Lee was serious about his request. And sincere.

And at last, answered on behalf of the other two gentlemen. And so as not to prolong Lee's discomfort.

"You are ok," Dalseo declared. "Just don't mess with her or make her sad."

Or...

The subtle warning need not be expanded.

"I'm ready," So-Mi emerged from her room at last, a sweet vision in blue this time.

She was dressed in a polkadot skirt over a pair of woolen tights, and plain dark blue sweater.

The outfit was simple, but it was her aura that made her beautiful.

Or perhaps it was the same biased thought, that ran through all her men's head that night.

Two pairs of eyes looked at her with fatherly pride and one in complete adoration.

While another was totally unreadable, bellying feelings that was only known to the person himself.

"Ahjussi," So-Mi smiled, "I'll be going back to Omma's place tonite, neh? I'll see you and Dalseo-ahjussi tomorrow for Christmas, ok?"

Tae-sik gave her one of his characteristic nod.

Before leaving she ran over to give Kim a hug.

"Merry Chrismas, Chi-gon ahjussi. Give my hug to Sohyeun-unni and Yeongun."

"Neh, enjoy yourself, my girl," Kim hugged her affectionately.

"Ok, I'm off," So-Mi announced.

"Take are, child," Dalseo waved as Lee took So-Mi by the elbow to walk themselves out.

And with a sweet smile to Dalseo and a lingering stare at Tae-sik, she left the room.

 

 

-----

 

The two men looked at Tae-sik.

"Like I once told So-Mi, I'm too old to have a zit on my nose."

"Yeah," Kim rebuked. "But you're not too old to keep her for yourself."

A statement Dalseo agreed with a gusto.

"What are you doing man? Why are you pushing her towards that young upstart?"

What do you expect me to do? His eyes glared the unspoken question towards his two friends.

Understanding his predicament, Dalseo answered him.

"She's not your child, Tae-sik. She's ours," he said softly. "We saw her grow up, you didn't."

"Yeah, man. It's not your duty to walk her down the aisle," Kim agreed. "In fact, if it's up us, we'd rather you wait at the end of it."

 

 

 

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.