Angst of Separation

Fireflies: The Man From Nowhere Sequel

Angst of Separation

 

It was the longest two and half weeks So-Mi had to endure.

Though Choi-Appa came back a week after the dinner, So-Mi was not able to visit Tae-sik as the Ahjussi had to leave Seoul for some errands with Dalseo-ahjussi.

But at least this time around, Tae-sik did pick her calls up.

So-Mi was afraid he was up to some dangerous mission, knowing he was Dalseo, but he assured her they were not.

Still she missed him, their talks or simply their quiet times together.

Choi-Omma's heart went out to her daughter despite her earlier anger, seeing how down So-Mi was during that period.

In fact, So-Mi did sneak out to Ahjussi's place a few days after Choi-Appa got back from the village, thinking that Ahjussi was not telling the truth about being out of Seoul.

But really, he was not at home.

And the apartment was locked.

So, each day, So-Mi went through her mundane routine of going out for her classes and then straight back home.

 

 

(Flashback)

 

"How have you been?"

"Ok."

"You haven't been picking up my calls."

Detective Lee seeked her out at the university one day, after failing to get in touch with her via mobile.

"Mianhe. It's exam week."

"Oh, sorry, I didn't know. Emm.. You going off home now? Want to grab a drink first or something?"

"I'm sorry Min Sung-ssi. I promise Omma I'll be home early  today."

"Ok, I'll see you around then."

"Yeah, see you, Min Sung-ssi."

 

(End of Flashback)

 

 

So-Mi felt bad brushing off the Detective that day.

But she really was not in the mood.

And even Amber could not cheer her up.

 

-----

 

“I’ll get  it,” So-Mi said, hearing the front door bell.

She has just finished washing up after lunch.

It was Friday and she had no class that day due to the exam week.

She opened the door without preamble.

And her eyes widened, clearly not expecting the visitor.

"Anyeong," he smiled softly.

"Ahjussi..."

 

 

"I was expecting you. But I thought you would have come sooner."

"I was not sure myself. Of actually coming here, that is. And I’m sorry I’m late. I had a few things to attend to,” Tae-sik answered, not elaborating much.

Tae-sik had brought a fresh bottle of soju and the little lime tree bonsai he had been pruning for Choi-Omma, much to the latter's delight.

Choi-Appa poured his guest a glass.

 “I have seriously thought of what you said," Tae-sik said. "And I have made some changes.”

Again, Tae-sik did not elaborate.

But being an astute elder himself, Choi-Appa trusted him and not prod any further. He just nodded in understanding.

"We have come to love her. Choi-Omma and I," Choi began. "She was a quiet little girl. Intelligent yet cautious with the people around her."

"But slowly, she opened up to us and became what we think of, as her natural loving self," Choi reminisced further. "We have seen her with other people, and she was never as trusting or open and loving as she is with us. Until you."

Choi looked up at him seriously.

"With you, she is even more beautiful. Like she blossomed almost overnight. Ever since you got out," he explained. "She even became brave and confident enough to go on dates with that police-guy."

Tae-sik perked at that piece of information, for So-Mi did not tell him of going out with any guy before.

He should be glad, he supposed, but how was it, that other unintended feelings crept in as well.

But still Tae-sik kept quiet, simply absorbing the stories old man Choi was telling him.

"Yes, we love her. Very much. But we also know that you love her too. Perhaps even more than we do," Choi-Appa smile sadly, thinking of the tribulation Tae-sik had to go through for So-Mi in the past. "The only thing is that, we are not sure in what capacity that love is."

The silence was deafening, knowing Choi-Appa expected an answer from him.

"I was her neighbour … and now her friend."

"But she is slowly looking at you to be more than that. She just doesn't know it yet," Choi looked up at him and said. "And even if you refuse to acknowledge it, so do you."

Tae-sik looked at Choi-Appa for the longest time.

"She cannot be with me that way," he said firmly. "But yes, I do love her."

He concluded the conversation.

"I’ll make sure she gets herself a worthy companion. And when she does, I will take my leave."

 

 

"Go, my daughter. But please know that we are here should you need us."

"Appa, I am not leaving you. I'm just staying at Ahjussi's for the weekend."

"Neh, I know. But just know that I love you. Your Omma loves you. And you have been a wonderful daughter to us all these years."

So-Mi smiled, amused at her father's sudden sentimentality.

"See you Monday, Appa."

And she gave him a hug.