Prince Charming

Fireflies: The Man From Nowhere Sequel

 

Prince Charming

 

 

She laughed.

He truly was funny. And charming.

And being a law enforcer, was icing on the cake.

"Why did you choose to be in the police force?" So-Mi asked, sipping her apple juice.

"I dunno. I want to be of service to the people, I guess."

"You're doing a good job," she smiled approvingly. "I heard about the drug ring you busted last week."

"Cheongmal? You did?"

"It was in the papers. The report said how you single handedly rescued the children, while the others went after the drug goons."

Children, who were often used as workers in drug factories.

Often dying after weeks of inhaling lethal drug fumes or of abuse and malnourishment.

A fate So-Mi herself would have met if not for her own single savior.

"Gosh, that's embarrassing," he said bashfully.

They continued with their steak in comfortable silence.

Having dinner after a movie at a nearby theatre.

So-Mi has never been out with a boy like this before.

And it is pretty nice, she thought.

"The Senator asked for you the other day," Lee said. "We had a meeting with her last week."

"Chincha?"

"Yeah, she's quite disappointed you are not taking pictures of you-know-what anymore," he leaned and grinned in conspiratorial whisper.

"I'm sure there'll be other photographers who can take good pictures."

"Perhaps," he shrugged. "But we were always amazed at how you knew where the hideouts were and how spot on your hints were."

He cut a piece of lamb he was having and put it on her plate.

So-Mi was having beef.

It was an intimate gesture in his part.

And So-Mi could only stare and be shy at his actions.

"I know you were in constant danger, but they were put to good use," Lee continued. "So, thank you once again."

So-Mi continue to stare down at her plate.

"I was there once," she confessed. "I lived that life."

"Mwo?"

"I was an ant," she looked up and stare straight into his eyes. "For a very short while, but I was there."

She struggled with the right words to use.

"And I saw what despicable things they did to these kids. I would have suffered the same fate. In a way, taking those pictures was my small way of helping them."

At Lee's silent interest, So-Mi continued.

"They killed my mom and noone else knew about me. Except Ahjussi," she smiled sadly to herself. "He came to save me.  When no one cared, he did. He came for me."

"You are very close to him," Lee acknowledged softly. "Are you two relatives?"

"No, I just used to steal his food," she gave a small laugh, reminiscing.

"So, how is it that you are living together? "

"We are not," she looked at Lee with big eyes and shrugged. "I just visit sometimes."

"I see," Lee nodded. "But I can see that he is very important to you."

"Yes," she looked up at Lee again, silently asking for his understanding. "I owe him my life."

"So, you feel indebted to him then?"

"Indebted?" She frowned. "Sounds a little crass, doesn't it? When you put it like that?"

"Mianhe. I didn't it mean it that way," Lee apologized, himself surprised at his harsh words.

He blamed it to the stabbing jealousy he felt at the affectionate tone whenever she spoke of the Ahjussi.

"Kwenchana," she shook her head sadly. "Maybe there is some truth in your words."

 

-----

 

She did not return to him that evening.

To her Ahjussi.

Instead she went back to her parents.

She snuck into their bed quietly and snuggled in between them.

And hugged her mother.

I love you Omma.

Then she did the same to her father.

You are the father I have never had, Appa. I love you.

And she cried for reasons she cannot fathom.