Reunion

Fireflies: The Man From Nowhere Sequel

 

Reunion

 

It was like old times.

She chattered non stop as he prepared the meal.

“You can't stay here,” he announced.

“Ara. I'll just have dinner and go.”

“I don't have enough food to share.”

“It's ok, I bought groceries,” she smiled, pulling up her knapsack and started to empty its content on the table. “I know you wouldn’t stock up the fridge properly. I eat a lot nowadays.”

th?id=OIP.M1623cd9dc1ad63b6541f62d61e776

He simply looked at her and raised his eyebrows at her hint of being a regular loafer at his place.

She hasn’t changed, he thought in amusement. Still trusting and presumptuous.

But like the sunlight, her presence brightened his drab gray kitchen with a blinding glare.

 

As he cooked, she started stocking his fridge with the food she bought.

She peeked from behind the fridge door, to observe him. Her own memories came flooding back.

 

< Do… you think I’m a bad guy? > she remembered him asking her.

Never. You were the only person who was good to me.

 

< Ahjussi. Are you here to save me? > she remembered herself asking him, after she woke up from being drugged by her captors.

< It’s true, isn’t it? You’ve come to save me, haven’t you? >

 

< Don’t come over. You’ll get blood on you. > He looked sad, so broken. A semi automatic hidden behind his back.

Not one to listen to instructions, she hugged him anyways.

 

< I’m sorry. I’m sorry that I turned away back then. When you only wanted to get close to someone. >

He actually apologised to her. She, who was often dismissed by others like a piece of trash.

And he smiled. For the first time. For her.

 

< You’ll be alone, you know. You can do it, can’t you? >

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWldBBoBDahHwlZm7FTIy

Of course I can, she thought. But I won’t be alone; and neither will you. Not while I am still here.

 

< Just this time. Let me hug you this once. Let me hug you, if you don’t mind. >

The_Man_From_Nowhere-018.jpg

This is home, she remembered thinking, as he hugged her for the first and last time.

Kim-Sae-Ron-Man-from-Nowhere-2.jpg

Before he left her.

 

 

(flashback)

 

“Ahjussi is coming out soon. Next Tuesday, to be exact,” she announced.

Her parents braced themselves for this moment. Her adoptive parents.

The moment came 2 years too soon.

He was supposed to be away for 10, but he was coming back only after 8.

And will he take her away from them?

She came into their lives exactly 8 years ago.

His friends and the police force scouted them for him, amongst others.

He chose them.

The Chois, who themselves, were under the special forces witness protection programme.

Hence, she was always under their watchful eyes. Under his friends’ watchful eyes.

Choi-omma remembered her as a sad yet bright young girl.

But So-Mi's sadness slowly faded as she accepted them as her parents.

And they welcomed her as the daughter they never had.

They put her through school and now at a prestigious university.

They loved her and was happy that she loved them in return.

But they knew she never let go of the dream to reunite with him.

Her Ahjussi.

Her saviour and protector.