Fling - Daejae (Once you crossed my life)

Drabble dump

PLEASE READ THIS : Holiday fling by specialguest !!!
(This drabble is based on Sanni's story! It's my "ending" of the story and I'm 100% anticipating the actual sequel. Thank you so much bbi for allowing me to write this! I hope you like it!)

 

First loves and first heartbreaks are a thing in themselves....as far as Yoo Youngjae is concerned he'd had his share of heartaches and shed tears over missed opportunities but one has stuck with him for good and really it's been a while since that summer in Busan.
The memories have started to blur a while ago, the taste on his tongue when he thinks of the ocean and the salty air filling his lungs is not the same it used to be and the excited throbbing of his heart to a memory whenever he rides an elevator has stopped a long, long time ago.

The haze that has layered atop the pictures, which now only exist in the synapses of his brain, has helped to dissolve the pain and grief in his chest and now there’s a indifference that is not quite strong but strong enough to make him look back to that summer week and see it as a time he treasures despite everything.  

 
Youngjae can't really remember what he'd felt back then when he sat waiting for someone who never showed up in the end, someone he'd thought he might be able to like more intensively, more honestly and deeply if he’d been given the chance.

He knows he was sad and he knows it hurt to the point he thought he was going to go insane by the stings and burns which crawled through his chest.
That chance to figure what could have been had never come and Youngjae had never gotten the answer why it hadn’t because he simply never asked.

And now after time has passed the -why- just doesn’t matter anymore.
He’s simply accepted the fact that one week was all they had, the only moment for the two of them where he strings of their lives crossed.

 

Everything about that summer, about the Busan beauty and the moment they shared feels so distant these days that Youngjae sometimes wonders whether his "first love", the first worth remembering at least and their tentative kisses and the sparks he felt setting off between them actually happened.


It all feels like a dream, Daehyun's smile and his scent, the feeling of his skin and the Busan boy's plush lips pressed against his own, Youngjae barely, if even, remembers it all.  
The pictures are missing, the memories are hazed and blurred and not as clear as he sometimes wishes they were but he still remembers the feelings and emotions.
The way his pulse had just slightly risen in its pace and the fuzzy feeling in his stomach that settled there when Daehyun was around and he can still feel the way his cheeks burned up and palms turned sweaty before he even got to talk to the younger, before the two of them became “something” for a limited amount of time.

There's still the little sting in his chest when he thinks about how he's waited for the other to show up and see him off, the suffocating tightness of his chest he's felt during the whole ride home thinking about the boy who never came, Youngjae still remembers it vividly.
 

Sometimes Youngjae takes the time to think back, closing his eyes and picturing the Busan beauty’s face because after so much time has passed it doesn't hurt anymore to do so and it's not too hard to remember the other's features, at least Youngjae thinks the pictures are rather accurate.
At times it's easier, sometimes it's harder to force his memory to paint the image of Jung Daehyun and when he can't seem to get the Busan boy’s looks pieced together he concentrates on the details and then there are those plush soft lips of the elder boy or the tanned bronze tone of his skin, sometimes it's the dimple on his cheek, the line of his jaw or the shape of his nose and Youngjae cherishes the memory of those tiny pieces of a person that once made his heart flutter.

 

He's not angry or sad anymore and if he met Daehyun one of these days he thinks he'd just be neutral about it, not overly excited but not dismissive either, he'd probably be curious to see what has changed about the other boy, content with facing him again and maybe even a little happy, reluctantly parting with him again with a simple "it was nice to see you again." and meaning it.


Yes, Youngjae thinks that's how it would go though he can't really say if it is what he wants.
It's been too long since then, he's not a teenager anymore, he's grown and moved on and in a way the memory of "almost but not completely falling in love with Jung Daehyun" is so bitter sweet that it might be a shame to try to retrospectively change anything or to dwell on what the two of them had or not or worse what they may could have built together but never got to experience.

No, it might be better the way it is now, with the calm but content drumming of his heart within his chest, the mixture of emotions, sour at times but always laced with contentedness and gratefulness because what they had was perfect for as long as it lasted and that’s all that matters.