#2 Encounterments

Can't Be Changed

 

“You should stop apologizing!” Myungsoo said.

“Uhm, ok”, Sungjong’s lips curved into a smile. They walked through the forest which stayed still under the bright sun. “The trees look really green, don’t you think?” Sungjong questioned.

“Aren’t trees supposed to be green?” Myungsoo shrugged.

“I guess but don’t you like this shade of green?” Sungjong stopped and looked closely at a leaf of a plant that seemed lonely. He looked up to see Myungsoo staring at him, the same way he stared at the plant, with great interest.

“Why don’t you just pull that leaf off, if you like it so much?” Myungsoo asked.

“Because I was taught not to, weren’t you?” Sungjong tilted his head before walking towards Myungsoo, whom dug his toes into the mud.

The question hung in mid air, unanswered.

They continued walking in silence. The encountered many hills which made Myungsoo sick.

“Are you ok?” Sungjong placed his hands on Myungsoo’s back.

“I’m not so sure”, he replied as he held onto his stomach which grumbled.

“Of course, you didn’t eat breakfast did you?” Sungjong smacked Myungsoo’s head, “Pabo.”

“Yah, that hurts”, Myungsoo shouted as he rubbed the place that began to thump.

“I didn’t hit it that hard, did I?” He teased.

Myungsoo pushed his lower lip out and frowned.

“Aigo”, Sungjong said as he rubbed the place he hit Myungsoo. “Better?”

Myungsoo nodded, put on his cold expression and walked off in a hurried pace.

 

As they got deeper into the forest, Myungsoo became aware of the path they had to cross. It was a broken hill. It had such narrow pathway and didn’t have any support to hold on to, to enable them to walk across, other than the trees.

Myungsoo looked back to see Sungjong’s worried expression. “Yah, make sure you don’t fall! Ok?”

Sungjong nodded, “you have be careful as well, ok?!

Myungsoo began to lead. He looked down to see darkness. ‘If I fall of now, I wouldn’t know where i would land so don’t look down’, Myungsoo thought to himself.

He closed his eyes, held his balance and made it across.

Sungjong, on the other hand, was dead scared to make a move. He saw Myungsoo was safe and let a sigh was relief. He took a step forward and looked down; this was a bad idea because he felt dizzy.

He hurried across but slipped on some wet mud. He nearly fell but he quickly head on to the bunch of the trees which was covered in thorn. He let out a cry of pain and pulled himself up.

Myungsoo accepted Sungjong into arms as he ran towards him. “Calm down”, he whispered as he light tapped Sungjong’s back. “You did great. Let me see your hand.”

Sungjong pushed back and rubbed his eyes which were red and tearful. He handed his hand to Myungsoo, who pulled him out of the trees and into some light. Myungsoo held up Sungjong’s hand and began to blow on it, gently.

He, without looking, pulled out a roll of bandage from his pocket and began rolling it around Sungjong’s hands.

Sungjong observed Myungsoo, concentrating on the bandage. He inhaled some air then remembered the smell of the bed he was lying on. ‘The scent reminds me of home’, Sungjong thought.

“You are such a kid”, he said, out all nowhere.

“Shut up”, Sungjong pouted.

“Does it hurt?”

“Not any more”, Sungjong smiled.

“Let’s go.”

 

The bright sun sank in the horizon and the trees began to look scarier than before as the two partners walked through the darkness.

Myungsoo began to slow down and started walking beside Sungjong. Sungjong knew there was something wrong.

“Is everything ok?”

“Uhm... yes”, Myungsoo answered with a forced chuckle.

“What’s wrong?” Sungjong asked.

“I’m scared of the dark”, Myungsoo looked down.

Sungjong cracked up laughed. “Whaat?”

“Shut up!”

“You said i was a kid?” Sungjong rolled his eyes.

“Shut up!”

“Okok”, Sungjong couldn’t hold his laughter in. “Why don’t we cook something and crash out here?” Sungjong suggested.

“I don’t care as long as i get food”, he smiled.

They settled down under a tree and opened their rucksacks to see a tin of beans with an outdoor stove. They realized they had half a tent, each. So they joined it together to make a big one.

They sat outside, heated the beans and began to eat.

After eating, they crawled back into the tent and fell asleep.

 

The sound of birds humming woke Sungjong up. His felt a heavy weight on his legs. He shot up to see Myungsoo’s leg on his. He shook his head and bent down close to Myungsoo’s ears.

“Yah! Wake up!” Sungjong screamed. Myungsoo head bumped hard against Sungjong’s tooth. Both of them gave out a cry of pain then began to giggle.

“Let’s go!” Myungsoo said as they quickly packed everything away.

They began to walk.

“Sungjong-ah!” A girl’s voice was heard.

“Mi Jin?” Sungjong whispered as he turned around. He spotted a girl running towards him with a wide smile.

“Where did she come from?” Myungsoo asked in a harsh tone.

“Why do you care?” Mi Jin snarled.

Myungsoo shrugged and began to walk again.

“Where is your partner?” Sungjong questioned.

“Over there?” She pointed behind her. “So what have the two of you been to?”

“Nothing”, Sungjong replied.

“Seriously? I thought you guys would’ve had some fun.”

“Well, we did listen to some rock”, Sungjong looked at Myungsoo who got further and further away.

“So... my journey was...” she began to start her long story that didn’t end...

“Stop!” Myungsoo shouted. “Sorry, Sungjong and I need to go to the toilet”, Myungsoo forced a smile, grabbed Sungjong’s hand and pulled him beside him.

“How do you know he needs to go to the toilet?” She grabbed Sungjong’s other hand and pulled him towards her.

“I’m his partner so I know!”

“Well, why don’t we ask Sungjong?” she suggested.

Myungsoo tensed. Sungjong felt it.

“I do have to go to the loo”, Sungjong smiled.

“I will tag along!” She said.

“Seriously? You want to see two boys do their stuff? I will bring Sungjong back!”

Mi Jin rolled her eyes. Sungjong removed her hands off his and began walking into the forest.

After they were out of site, Myungsoo ran as fast as he could, dragging Sungjong with him.

“Why did you do that for?” Sungjong was confused.

“Do you want to hear her talk on and on about sh**?” Myungsoo asked.

 


A/N: Updated again, enjoy! I want to finish this second challenge which isn't over yet -_-!