Your Words

Can't Be Changed

"Oh, this isn't forced. This is what I really want to do. I realized I missed having you as a roommate for the past few days."

The words flew by Sungjong as he felt a pinch on his left arm.

Sungjong’s eyes flung open, hours later. His attention went straight to the bed next to him. No one was there. It all must have been a dream. He thought to himself. After hearing the sound of the door opening, his eyes switched to the door, his hopes got higher but to his disappointment it was the nurse.

“Excuse me, what happened?” he questioned with a sorrow expression.

“Oh, I gave you an anaesthetic injection to put you to sleep.” she explained with a small smile.

“Who brought me here?” he asked, knowing the answer but wanting to hear it.

“The manager.” she replied causing great shock to Sungjong.

“Eh?” One of Sungjong’s eyes shrunk and the other eye’s eyebrows rose. He shook his head and pulled on a smile. “Thank you for telling me.”

“It’s nothing. Go back to sleep now. It’s only 3am, you need more sleep!”

Sungjong nodded and pulled the blanket over his head. He looked back at the other bed that was left next to him. Wasn’t that far away, before? I clearly remember Myungsoo carrying me. What wrong with me? Am I imagining things now?

Sungjong couldn’t sleep so he listened to the sound of the wind.

 

“Sungjong? Are you asleep?” Mi Jin’s voice was easily recognized by Sungjong. “The nurse said you were just awake,” she stated.

“I’m not asleep. I couldn’t. Want to stay up with me? There is a free bed over there,” Sungjong said as he removed his blanket from his head.

Mi Jin rushed over to his side and got into bed. “I couldn’t sleep as well.”

“I see. Mi Jin, can I ask you something?” he needed to know if it was just a mere dream.

Mi Jin nodded indicating him to continue.

“Who brought me to the hospital?” he asked again. He was certain that his memory wouldn’t deceive him.

“Myungsoo,” she whispered without hesitation.

What? Then why did that nurse lie? Did Myungsoo tell her to do it? If so, why? Did he think I would misunderstand or something? I’m so confused. Was I dreaming about him caring so much? Did I dream him saying...

"Oh, this isn't forced. This is what I really want to do. I realized I missed having you as a roommate for the past few days."

“Sungjong, are you ok?” Mi Jin brought him back to earth.

“Yeah yeah. I’m just confused about a few things, that’s all.” he ended with a nod.

“What are you confused about?” she seemed curious.

“Nothing. Let’s go to sleep, ok?” Sungjong smiled.

 

Sungjong twisted and turned under his blanket. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't sleep at all. Should I take a walk? It’s a little chilly but what else is there to do? He looked at Mi Jin, she was sleeping peacefully. He tiptoed outside, trying hard not to make any noise.

Rain begun to fall, minutes after he stepped out. He didn’t mind, he enjoys getting wet in the rain. His feet jumped from one puddle to the other. His mind played a scene of little Sungjong playing in the puddle, twelve years ago. Back then, his mum was with him. Drops of salty water run down his soft cheek. He crouches on the floor and recalls more memories of his mother.

All of a sudden, he couldn’t feel the water drops on his head. He looked up to see that it was still raining. However, he felt nothing other than his damp clothes. He tilted his head up a little higher to see a black umbrella. He wiped his face and stood up to see Myungsoo holding it.

“What are you doing here?” Sungjong asked, happiness swelled up within him.

“Idiot, what are you doing out here? You would catch a cold or something!” he shouted. It almost seemed as if it came from his heart.

“I couldn’t sleep,” Sungjong pouted. “I won’t catch a cold. I used to do this with my mother a lot when I was young,” he explained.

“What kind of mother lets her child play in the rain?” Myungsoo asked, shaking his head with disappointment. “When we get back to Korea, I need to meet your mother and knock some sense into her,” he complained.

Sungjong stayed silent for a while. “You can’t do that, anymore. Maybe if you came twelve year ago, maybe then you could’ve met her.” his head sunk and a drops of tears began to fall, again.

“I’m sorry.” Myungsoo lifted the umbrella a little higher and stepped in. He wrapped one arm around Sungjong’s back and pulled him in. Sungjong rested his head onto his chest and let out all the feelings he held in for a couple of years now.

The two sat beside each other on a wet bench, half an hour later.

“Myungsoo?” Sungjong, hesitantly, started.

“Hm...” he replied, turning his attention to Sungjong.

“Why did you make the nurse lie? You brought me to the hospital, right? Why did you tell her to say it was the manager?” Sungjong threw questions at him, without thinking.

“Ho-How did you know?” he said, clearly confused.

“Wild guess.” Sungjong replied with a forced laughter. “Could you please stop changing the topic and tell me?”

“You. You’re the reason why I told the nurse to lie. Your words. Remember, you told me to avoid you. I tried, I tried my best to avoid everything. But I couldn’t.” he suddenly said, making Sungjong’s heartbeat quicken.

“What is that supposed to mean?” Sungjong wanted Myungsoo to say it. Wanted Myungsoo to say that he li-

“I don’t know. I’m still trying to figure it out, I guess. I can’t seem to avoid you. I can’t seem to look you straight in the eye. I can’t seem to not care about you.” he paused, deep in thought. “Most of all, I can’t seem to hide my feelings for you. You may like the other girl but I don’t care. Sungjong, I like you.”

Lightning struck the ground. Lightning struck Sungjong’s heart.


Hello,

Omg! Myungsoo confessed! T_T I had to finish this story off. The next chapter would probably be the last one! And you guys are in for a great surprise! xD I would try to write it by tomorrow.

Oh, I forgot to say, you know that underground tunnel thing that Eun Mi used. Well, originally it was supposed to be her twin but some clever person guessed it right so my dongsaeng, KingLru, told me to use underground tunnels.

Anyway, until next time, bye.