Day 9: look from a rooftop at the streets

How to be Broken in Fourteen Days

"Try this on,” Luhan said holding up a simple black tee shirt with an intricate design. “I think that it would fit you.”

After a long night of working, I had decided that I wanted to surprise Luhan at work. Of course that entailed me trying on different things but at least I got to see him. After what happened the day before with me not talking to him for a while, I figured that it would have been alright for me to come.

“Fit or look nice?”

Luhan smiled brightly. “Both.”

I grabbed the shirt and left to go try it on. I have to say that Luhan did a fine job of picking out clothes for people. Even now, I wonder why he didn’t go into fashion or something. He could have been amazing at it.

I stepped out of the dressing room when I was done and showed my boyfriend who was patiently waiting for me to come out. When he saw me, his face lit up as his gaze swept over my torso.

“What do you think?” I asked spinning.

Luhan nodded and made me spin one more time. “It looks good on you. Really good actually.”

I grinned.

“But maybe a little too good,” he said, eyeing the people that were looking at the both of us. “Go back and change. We’re not getting you this shirt.”

I frowned. “And why not?”

“Because then everyone would be looking at you and I don’t want everyone to look at you.”

I could help but to laugh as the younger pouted but a thin shade of red tinted his cheeks. He kept his gaze on me but looked away when he caught me staring. Grabbing my hand, Luhan pulled me back into the dressing room and towards my door.

“Change.”

-

When Luhan got off work, we went to take a walk in the area. Little shops and department stores passed the more that we walked side by side, our pinkies intertwined. People of all ages were out, talking and laughing with each other. Some seemed to be on dates while others looked to be with their friends and family.

“This is a nice little area that you have,” I said gazing around. “It seems nice to look at.”

Luhan smiled fondly. “Doesn’t? It’s better to see it from the top, though. You can see everything from up on one of the roofs and it’s amazing.”

“Do you know of any places that we can go and look at the area?”

He grinned and nodded his head quickly, fully grabbing onto my hand and pulling me along. I caught people looking at us and glaring at our intertwined fingers and the funny thing was that Luhan glared back. He didn’t care what people were thinking about us, he just wanted to hold my hand and smile instead. So I started to glare back with him as people glared at our hands.

“You don’t have to glare at them back, too you know,” he commented when we were mainly out of the main street.

“But then who would help you glare at them?”

Luhan laughed and squeezed my hand. “I guess you’re right.”

It was quiet as Luhan continued to take me to wherever it was he was taking me. I looked over to my younger boyfriend and started to wonder what he was thinking and who he was thinking about. I could only hope that he was thinking about me and nothing else but that was too big of a dream for me then and now.

“You know,” he stared and kept his gaze forward. “I thought that I saw someone familiar yesterday after work.”

“Oh?”

“It was weird because he had blonde hair and th… he just looked really familiar.”

“Who did you think it was?” I asked curious to know who he was talking about. It was then that I remembered the person that I kept seeing a week ago with blonde hair.

Luhan opened his mouth to say something but nothing came out. Instead he looked to the ground and sighed, shaking his head. “Someone familiar. I couldn’t tell who it was from afar.”

I glanced at the man in next to me as he kept his eyes forward but there was something in there, something that I couldn’t tell what it was.

“Oh. Well I thought I saw something familiar too. It was the day I took you out for malts that I saw a head of blonde hair.” Luhan didn’t say anything but he bit his lip but I kept going. “I thought I was seeing things but then I saw it again. I know that we Asians don’t have blonde hair so it was different to see in the sea of hair.”

“Who do you think it is?” he asked his voice quiet.

I shook my head. “I don’t know. Maybe it’s someone that we don’t know and we’re both talking about different people.”

Luhan stopped walking and pointed up. “This is the place,” he said and I momentarily forgot about the conversation that we were having.

The building wasn’t the tallest on the block nor was it the prettiest. It was made out of concrete and peeling yellow paint but you could see the cracks forming. Some of the windows were scattered and others were put together using duck tape, cardboard or wooden boards. I looked to Luhan who had a small smile on his face.

“It doesn’t look the best but it has the best view of the main street. I promise.”

He didn’t say anything else as he dragged me inside of the skeptical looking building. Like an expert, he climbed the stairs and told me where to step and where not to.

“You’re right,” I told him when we reached the top of the building. “It’s an amazing view.”

And it was. A little off into the distance I could the main street with its colourful and mismatched buildings as well as people milling around. Very faintly, if I looked hard enough, I could see their expressions and hand movements as they spoke to others. I could also see the open area where the park was and the trees dancing softly in the wind. The sun was high and bright making everything seem more breathtaking than it already was.

“Isn’t? I come up here sometimes but it’s kind of far from the store.”

“It’s not that far,” I pointed out into the distance. “I mean, isn’t that the store?”

“It is,” he replied following me finger. He was quiet once more before speaking up. “Minseok, do you believe in second chances?”

I turned to him, confused. “What do you mean?”

“You know, getting another chance at something.”

I smiled softly. “I do,” I said. “If you think about it, I kind of got a second chance. But even if I didn’t then I would have said the same thing. Everyone deserves a second chance at things no matter what it is.” I paused. “You’re acting a bit strange today, Lu.”

He said nothing as he wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me close. I was surprised but I hugged the taller back, happy to be in his arms.

-

We left the roof top and headed somewhere to get something sweet since we were both craving it. We decided on honeycomb ice cream that was becoming insanely popular but I could tell why. When I took a bite of the soft-served ice treat, it was like heaven in my mouth.

“Well this isn’t what I was expecting,” Luhan said as he ate the ice cream. “This is really good.”

“Yes, yes it is.”

We gobbled up the ice cream in less than five minutes, both of us getting those brain freezes that everyone hates so much. It was when Luhan went to throw away the cups (he offered too) that I heard it.

A laugh that sounded familiar to me.

Whose laugh? Well at that time it was on the tip of my tongue but I couldn’t put my finger on it.

Now? I could tell you in a heartbeat.


miki says: these chapters seem to be getting smaller and harder to write. i can't write very well in first person and i want to change into third person because it's easier but i'm not going too. this story is in first person.OTL anways, here's the double update and i'm all caught up!! so that's all for now and see y'all tomrrow!!! XD (my foreshadowing is still really bad.)