1 year and 6 months before

How to be Broken in Fourteen Days

It was six months later that Sehun and Luhan had planned their wedding to be. It is crazy how much time flew by and truth be told, I just wanted everything to be over with. I couldn’t stand their happiness anymore. Baekhyun and Chanyeol could tell. They told me to go to Japan or somewhere else until my head cooled down but I couldn’t leave. Not when my best friend needed me.

I had to stay here and watch the one I love get married.

Oh joy.

So now here I am, sitting in a waiting room of a government building to take Sehun to lunch.

Have I said how much I would like to punch him in the face?

I don’t think so.

I fiddled with my finger the more that I waited. Sehun’s job was to work for some government agency. I had no clue which one it was but I do know that Oh Sehun saves lives, thousands and thousands of lives. I give him props for that.

“Kim Minseok?” some random voice called out.

I looked up and smiled. “Yes?”

“Oh Sehun will see you now.”

I nodded and stood up; walking the halls I’ve come to know so well.  The navy coloured walls looked dark and sinister as did each of the rooms. The people here looked overworked but professional as the day went on.

Reaching Sehun’s door, I could hear him speaking loudly to someone who yelled back. It didn’t sound too good, so I stayed back with the person who stared at the door. He opened it and heard Baekhyun’s voice yelling back.

“You’ve got to be kidding me, Sehun. You cannot do that. Not to him.” He screamed.

“Why? Why not? He’s my best friend for god sakes, Baekhyun hyung. Why are you so against me asking Minseok hyung this?”

I blinked when I heard my name, gently pushing the other person away. “It’s okay. I got this one.” I said with a smile.

He looked at me and nodded. “Be careful. Sehun-sshi looks pissed.”

I couldn’t help but to smile. “Sehun’s always pissed.”

The other person cracked a smile and walked off leaving me with a screaming diva and a best friend of mine.

I stepped into the office and stared at the two boys who didn’t notice I was standing there.

“You still cannot ask him to do that, Sehun! I can’t let you do this.” Baekhyun screamed.

“Give me a reason why, then. You and Chanyeol said the same damn thing and I’m tired of hearing excuses.” The youngest yelled back.

“Do you really want to know? I’ll tell you.”

Sehun shut up and stared at Baekhyun as my eyes grew wide.

“It happened when Minseok was in China. He met a guy named Lu-“

“Baekhyun enough.” I said speaking up for the first time. They both looked at me with wide eyes.

“Hyung.” They both said.

“Minseok hyung, he needs to know. They-“ Baekhyun started.

“Not yet.” I said cutting off the diva.

He looked away from me and sighed before looking at Sehun. “Do what you want, Sehun.” With that, Baekhyun stormed off all diva like.

It was quiet after he left. I wouldn’t look at Sehun but I could feel his gaze on me. Shifting uncomfortably, I pointed to the door.

“Lunch?” I questioned and turned away from him. I felt a hand on my wrist.

“Tell me what happened in China, hyung.”

I bit my lip and tugged on my wrist. “Later.”

“Not later, now. Both Baekhyun and Chanyeol begged me not to ask you to be my best man.”

My eyes widen at his statement. “You want me to be your best man?” I turned around and looked at the younger boy.

“I do.” He said with a smile before removing it. “But they don’t want me to. Something about China. Something that I don’t know.”

I pulled my wrist out of his grip. “What happened in China, stays in China. It has nothing to do with this.”

“They seem to think it does.”

“But it doesn’t.”

Sehun sighed and ed his hands in his pockets. “Whatever you say hyung. Whatever you say.”

I bit my lip and looked away.

“Let’s go to lunch.” He said grabbing his coat and brushing past me. I stood there looking at the ground before I noticed that he was gone.

This was not how I wanted today to go.

---

Two weeks passed after the quiet lunch with Sehun and I. I haven’t spoken to him since then. No matter how many times, I would call he wouldn’t take my phone calls. Truth be told, it was annoying.

That brat.

So I sat in my house, doing what I do best. Write and drink coffee.

I stared at my computer screen, watching the cursor on word mock me by blinking on the white page. I narrowed my eyes at the screen.

“You’ve got to be kidding me.” I mumbled quietly. “Why me?”

I threw my hands up in the air and let out a giant sigh, glancing at the time. Standing up, I stormed into the kitchen and poured myself another cup of coffee when the door was knocked upon. Blinking many times, I tried to figure out who would be at my door. I mean, who would be at my door?

With the most cautious steps ever, I moved to the window and peaked outside. There in his all upset glory was the one person I’ve been trying to talk to. He caught my eye and motioned to open the door. I shook my head.

“No.” I mouthed.

He glared at me and banged on the door again. I just smiled and walked away, counting in my head how long it would take him to open the door himself.

I sat at my table and sipped my coffee quietly.

“Damn it hyung. Just open the door.” Sehun mumbled, storming into the kitchen. “You knew I was there.”

“Which is why I didn’t open the door.” I mumbled. “What is it that you want?”

He sighed and sat across the table. “I need you to do something for me.”

I blinked and nodded. “What is it?”

“Could you take care of Luhan?”

I stopped moving. “What do you mean?”

He sighed and propped his elbows on the table. “If I go, take care of Luhan for me.”

“You sound like you’re going to die.”

“I might.”

I felt my breathing stop. “W-what?”

“Something is going on at work. I can’t tell you what but it’s big.”

I shaked my head. “What do you mean you might die? You can’t die Oh Sehun. You cannot.”

He smiled sadly. “I said I might, not I will.”

“That’s still a chance. What is going on?”

He sighed and leaned back into the chair. “I’ll tell you later.”

I rolled my eyes. “And if there isn’t a later?”

He stayed quiet and blankly looked at the table. I stared at him in disbelief. There was no way I was going to let someone important in my life go again. There was just no way.

“You’re not going to die Sehun-ah so I don’t have to take care of Luhan.”

“It’s just in case, hyung. Please?”

I sighed and nodded. “Fine, but you’re not dying. Not until I say it’s time, do you understand?”

The younger boy blinked before cracking a smile. “I won’t hyung.”

“Good. Now, why haven’t I been able to get a hold of you?”

He shrugged. “Work.”

I rolled my eyes and walked into the kitchen pouring the strange request boy a glass of coffee, not paying attention to what he was doing.

“You bought it.” He said suddenly.

I kept making his coffee but looked up. “Bought what?”

“The deer necklace. I didn’t know what you did.”

I stayed quiet and walked over to him and placed the cup down, snatching the necklace away. “I know.”

“China?”

I nodded and walked away putting it somewhere he wouldn’t find it. I fell on the bed and ignored the calls he gave me and turned over, screaming into the bed. I stopped when I felt the bed dip.

“Hyung is there something that you are not telling me?” he asked, patting my back softly. I hummed at his touch and shook my head quickly. I couldn’t tell him right now, could I?

Turning over I looked at Sehun. “In China I me-“

I was cut off by a ringing of a phone. Sehun blinked and pulled it out, looking at the screen.

“I need to get this.”

I nodded. “Get it.”

He smiled softly. “After this, you shall tell me what happened in China, finally.”

~*~

I heard Sehun yelling from inside of the room. I blinked as I heard his voice. Sehun was never one to yell so it was scarier since it wasn’t Baekhyun he was yelling at this time. Not a few moments later, he came running through my bedroom door.

“I have to go hyung. I’m sorry. Tell me another time.” He said with a smile.

I nodded. “Be careful Sehunnie.”

He smiled brightly. “I will.”

With that he left. The moment I heard the front door close, I felt my stomach drop. Something didn’t feel right.

---

It was the day before the wedding and I was about to throw something out the window. Sehun wasn’t here. No one had seen him, since he walked out of my house, days before.  Luhan was starting to get reckless and pacing all over the room.

“What if he doesn’t come? Did he stop loving me?” he questioned, looking at me with teary eyes. “Minseok…”

I hugged the boy and shook my head. “He loves you Lu. He loves you a lot. There is no way that he got cold feet.”

“But I haven’t seen him since he went to your house. You didn’t kill him did you?”

As much as I wanted to laugh, I couldn’t. “I didn’t, Lu. He left saying that he had something to do and that we could talk later. Breathe, he’s most likely on his way over now.”

My words seem to have calmed him down some as he stopped pacing the room and stayed in my arms. He pulled away and blinked staring at the door before he walked out it.

“I’m going to see if he came.” He announced as he left. I sighed and followed him, not saying anything.

“Kim Minseok?” I heard my name being called suddenly.

I blinked and stopped walking as did Luhan. Turning around, I saw someone I didn’t want to see because he presence here meant that something went wrong. His name was Lee Sooman. He had a sunken and pale looking face. His eyes looked almost lifeless and cold; he wore no expression on his face. His clothes looked messily pressed as did his hair.

“Yes?” I whispered, squeezing my hands into a fist. My mind suddenly went back to the day Sehun came to my house.

Take care of Luhan for me.

“Lu Han?” he asked looking behind me. Luhan flinched but nodded, staying quiet. “This is for you.” He said handing me an envelope before walking away. He stopped at the end of the hall and turned around to bow. “I’m sorry.” He said before leaving this time.

I shook my head and ripped opened the letter, tears rolling down my cheeks. It took another thirty seconds before I heard the most terrible scream I have ever heard.

“To Mr. Kim Minseok and Mr. Lu Han,

I regret to inform you that Mr. Oh Sehun has passed away protecting his country. Mr. Oh was a very good agent and will be missed greatly. He helped his agency and his country fight many, many battles against people and to protect what was most precious to him. I am terribly sorry for your loss.

Director Lee Sooman of the Korean National Investigations Unit."


miki says: And here's the second chapter. I don't think listening to Les Mis' A Little Fall of Rain was a good idea. I almost cried writing this. D: And no, I don't know how to write death notices so it , a lot. Just saying... Now I'm off the write my Baekyeol story. Until next time~