Day 2: plan an unique date with the other

How to be Broken in Fourteen Days

I sat down at my table, doing the work in front of me. Papers and papers were scattered everywhere and it was driving me insane. There was a new writer coming into the company, his name being Kim Jongdae. For a twenty year old without going to university for classes, the guy could write. His descriptions were amazing and the way he used words was downright phenomenal.

I wonder why no one signed the kid before.

Twirling my pencil in my hand, I heard this buzzing noise and for a moment I couldn’t figure out what it was until flash of light and Luhan’s name written on the screen of my phone.

I smiled happily and slid the answering button across the screen.

“Lu~” I cooed into the ear piece like a five year old and stood up.

“Hey Minnie. What are you doing?”

“Editing. You?” I put my pencil next to the paper I was working and walked away to the kitchen, forgetting about the work I was doing.

There was a pause on the phone and I could hear the rustling of sheets. “I just woke up from a nap. I wanted to hear your voice.” He said sheepishly. “I missed it.”

I fought the urge to squeal right then and there at the sound of Luhan’s aegyo filled voice.

Our conversation was suddenly filled with the things that we did that day, him going to school and working at his department store and mine filled with paperwork for my job. I could hear the tiredness in his voice as he spoke about people at work and the customers always looking for some attention.

“Some girl hit on me.” he said and I furrowed my brows but chuckled pouring myself a glass of water.

“And what did you tell her?”

“That I’m happily taken.”

“Good.” I said with a smile. “Good. You’re mine.”

He laughed at my cheesiness and continued to talk about the current drama he was watching. I listened to the sound of his voice with my eyes closed. It was soothing and it made me smile. Granted, I didn’t really care about the drama but the sound of his voice when he was talking about it? Oh it was nice.

“Minnie, let’s plan a date.” He said suddenly.

“A date?” I asked when I moved to the couch and placed my feet against the low coffee table and sipping my drink before placing it down.

“You know, those things that people do when they’re together and like each other very much.”

With a snicker I replied, “Of course I know what a date is.” Luhan laughed.”But what shall we do? Something that is different from everyone else.”

We both were quiet as he thought. I could hear him breathing softly against the receiver and a smile came across my face. During the time, I could picture Luhan sitting against his headboard, thin knees against his chest and his against the boney knees. I could see his phone on speaker and sitting on the bed but not too far to where he couldn’t hear me. I pictured his hair then to be the same honey blonde it was, sticking up in all directions like they did when he was sleeping and the sleepy smile that was on his face.

“How about,” Luhan’s voice said cutting me off my day dream of him. “We go to a café?”

“And how is that different?” I asked leaning against the cushiony part of my couch and bouncing against it.

“Because we can go to someplace that people don’t normally think of for a date.”

The moment he said those words, I knew where I wanted to go with him. I smiled at the thought but kept the place a secret. I wanted it to be a surprise when I took him there because I knew how much he was going to love it.

I told him that I had an idea and he was thrilled about it. The excitement in his voice was the best thing that I heard since I woke up the next morning. Last night, he kept pestering me about it. He really wanted to know where the place was for our date but I wouldn’t tell him. Why would I ruin the surprise?

We planned to meet at my house since the place was a lot closer and it wouldn’t be too far of a walk.

I was so excited then but now that I think about it, I can’t believe how stupid I was. You should know, dear reader, that not everything turns out the way you want it to be. Life is cruel.

Very, very cruel.


miki says: well hello there. it's been months and months and months. i know that this is really short but i wanted to do a really short chapter before the date anyways. i'm actually in the process of starting the next day/chapter so please wait for it and yes, this means that i'm going to be updating this story again. it'll be longer than this, i promise. i just need to get back into the habit of writing in first person again. OTL (plese pardon mistake, you guise.)