58. CHANYEOL- 15. Eating Alone

The One That (EXO Scenario Collection)

Hello dearies! Merry Christmas!! <3

-

Was all that just a horrible nightmare? You yourself weren’t so sure.

After that experience, you woke up in your bed, your car keys on your desk, everything neatly placed. It was as if you never left your apartment in the first place, staying in and watching movies with wine, before you got too tipsy and the ending of your night got wiped out.

You weren’t sure what to believe. All signs pointed to you not going anywhere, but the memories have been so vivid…it couldn’t be true that they were all just your imagination. Even the slight bruises that bloomed across your waist (right where the vampire held you against your will) were an indicator that something wasn’t in order here. There was that small chance that you could’ve done them to yourself while getting to bed, as you had a reputation of being clumsy when drunk, but things just didn’t add up.

The bar was in your mind solidly. You weren’t drinking that night, and you remember your drive there. Even when you called your ex, he sounded surprised to hear you. As if he didn’t expect something like that.

His apology was lame, at best. There were no excuses but stuttered lies he didn’t even follow through, and so with an annoyed sigh you hung up on him, letting your phone fall on the bed.

The memories of that night weren’t all dark and spooky. Your body still could remember the warmth of the stranger, Chanyeol, who saved you from harm. You weren’t quite sure if you could point him out if you met him, though- you could hazily remember a shock of silver hair and strangely shaped ears that were somewhat endearing, before you out again.

That was the only aspect of that situation, the only reason why you didn’t want it to be fictional. Because you wanted to see him again.

There was just something about him, and after what he has done to help you, the least you wanted to do was to find him and thank him for saving you.

This thought haunted you for a week.

You couldn’t go through with your plans to like meet him- you were too swamped with school to think of anything of that sort. And yet, when your Friday classes were over, you flung your bag over to the passenger’s seat, heading straight for the rundown part of town which almost took your life, but also gave it another purpose. To find that stranger and find out just exactly why he had such power over the vampire that was ready to kill you.

Immediately, you scolded yourself. It still could’ve been nothing more than a very vivid dream, yet a part of you took it as reality. And to be completely honest, as you were driving down the main street of the ghetto, there was more than a palpable feeling of familiarity. You knew this street. You’ve been there before.

And when you pulled up in front of the bar where you were waiting for your ex, nothing could change your mind. Last night happened. It really did. And so someone like Chanyeol existed. And if that had to be the last thing you had to do, so be it.

You didn’t even know why you were so hell-bent on finding this person, the sane part of your brain told you as you were unlocking your car, cautiously retracing your steps that night. And you weren’t even sure if you could answer yourself- because there is no rational reason why you would pine for someone like that, someone so clearly dangerous. There is no rational reason as to why you are here, either. People with your experience would avoid this place like the devil avoids the cross, and yet here you were, peeping into dark alleys in hopes of catching a glimpse of the silver-haired giant that saved your life.

That’s why you were there, the more romantic part of you whispered back. He went out of his way to help you- hell, as the vampire suggested, he could’ve joined him in feasting on you, and he didn’t. Instead, he put himself in danger as well, trying to protect you. And that deserves at least a token of gratitude from your side, if nothing else.

Even though it was still light outside, not many people were up and about. You passed a mother with a child, their appearance making you worry about their well-being, but before you could voice your concern, they were gone from the street, running up the stairs of a run-down apartment house. Shaking off their strange behavior, you continued down the street, looking for any clue of your savior being around. It was stupid what you were doing right now- there is no way you could find him like this.

“Excuse me!” and so the next best idea your brain produced was to stop a man who was walking on the other side of the street. The tall man halted, looking at you with surprised eyes, and you almost regretted calling out to him- his face was adorned with many piercings, his neck slicked up with colorful tattoos…if you caught a better look at him before you called out, you probably would’ve kept your mouth shut. But you couldn’t back out now, you decided with a shaky resolution as you crossed the street, stopping in front of him.

He had a curious look on his face- as if he wasn’t quite used to talking to strangers like you. And you couldn’t blame him when you caught a glimpse of yourself in the nearby display. You were sticking out like a sore thumb in this place. Nothing about you could’ve indicated that you even remotely belonged to a neighborhood like this, and rightfully so- you really didn’t belong here.

“I’m really sorry for annoying you…” you started off, bowing half-heartedly in front of the man. He returned your half-assed bow, still not saying anything.

“And I know that my question is probably stupid, but if I wouldn’t try it I would hate myself forever…” this had his interest sparking. He lifted an eyebrow at you, bidding you to continue without saying a word.

“Last week, I was here and I…I was almost mugged.” Saying you were assaulted by a vampire wouldn’t be the go-to conversation starter.

“And there was this man, who saved me. He…he was tall, about your height, with silvery hair…and he had these pointy ears…” you tried your best to imitate them, and apparently it was enough, because the man’s eyes flashed with recognition, a smile spreading over his face.

“You mean Chanyeol?” he asked and you gasped.

“Yes! Yes, I mean him!” you had to stop yourself with all your will from bouncing up and down excitedly.

“Do you know him?” The man seemed to ponder over the question for a while, before nodding.

“Yeah, you can say that.”

“O-oh…is there…is there any way you could tell me where he is?” the warmth that was in the eyes as you mentioned your savior was gone, gone behind a barrier, it had you stepping away from him slightly.

“Sorry, love.” Not even the term of endearment could soften the blow of rejection. So close, you were so close…

“I can’t really tell you were he is…but I have a feeling you’ll meet again.” A small smile spread over his lips again, making him look strangely content with himself. You were itching to ask him what he meant by that, but he was already bowing that half-assed bow again, walking past you without a second glance.

You looked at his disappearing figure, your mouth slightly parted in a surprised look. The sky was turning orange and gold, playing with the warmest of colors, gently nudging you to leave the area before the sun fell down, and so with a shaking of your head, you did as it asked, walking back to your car in a slight daze.

What did he mean, a feeling? How could he say something like that, and then not tell you where Chanyeol was? Your mind was muddled with questions like these, even as you were driving out. You groaned, deciding it was more important to concentrate on the road, and maybe sate your growling stomach. You didn’t even realize how long you went without eating, before your stomach called out, gurgling. Now that you thought back on it, the last time you ate something was the apple that you grabbed before running off to school.

You sighed, pulling into a local mall. You had no intention of cooking tonight, so you might as well binge and go eat that incredibly delicious fried noodles the Chinese restaurant in the food court had to offer.

It was already growing late, and the population of the mall has dwindled. There weren’t many people around, just a few of them rushing about and trying to finish off their daily shopping, others trying to catch their movie. Which meant the food court was almost empty, and nothing stood before you and your desired meal.

Even the steaming food in front of you didn’t keep you from sighing, your eyebrows furrowing in thought. What did that guy mean, he had a feeling? How can someone just…have a feeling that you and him will meet again? It didn’t make any sense. In frustration, you took a big bite, not realizing how hot the noodles were. They sent you immediately into a coughing fit, and you blindly reached for a bottle of water which you usually buy, when you realized that you had forgot. Cursing your luck, you tried your best to swallow the food as quickly as possible, trying to do as little damage to your already burned mouth, when a body slid into the booth on the opposite to you, handing you a drink.

“The food won’t go anywhere, you don’t have to hurry.” That voice. Laced with amusement, the owner of that voice, who you’ve been looking for a long time. The burn didn’t even bother you anymore, as you looked up into Chanyeol’s eyes, unable to hide the surprise in your features.

“Wha-?” you were able to mumble past the noodles, unsure if he was there. It’s impossible. How did he? When did he?

Chanyeol chuckled, shaking his head. You swallowed what you had in your mouth, before your jaw almost dropping to the ground.

“You really are here.” Was the first thing that was able to get past your shock and Chanyeol couldn’t help but to laugh again.

“Yes, I am.” He confirmed with a small nod. Your hand twitched on the table, urging you to reach out and touch him. Just to make sure. But you were able to reign the need back in, wiping at the corners of your mouth to make sure you weren’t dirty.

“I…I can’t really believe it.” You laughed nervously, your eyes never leaving his. That mesmerizing amber that was the last thing you saw that night.

“I really thought I made that whole thing up in my head.” The explanation had Chanyeol’s brows furrowing.

“To be honest, with the experience you’ve had, I wish it would’ve been just a dream.” He replied, leaning in closer. The empty food court made the whole scene even more intimate, as if the whole mall cleared out just so that the two of you could meet. Finally.

“But you were there.” You blurted out without thought, and when his eyes snapped back to yours, a blush adorned your cheeks.

“So…it…it wasn’t all that bad.” you continued unsure if you should’ve said what you did. But the smile that grew on Chanyeol’s face was worth it.

“Then I guess I’m even happier that I’ve saved you.” His rumbling tone did a lot of nice things to your insides. It was unusual for you to feel the butterflies in your stomach flutter about, but it definitely wasn’t an unwelcome feeling.

“Our introduction back there wasn’t the greatest, so let me start over.” He ran a hand through his wild hair, and took a deep breath.

“My name is Chanyeol. Nice to meet you.” The pure basic introduction had you laughing, shaking your head. Still, you went for it.

“It’s nice to meet you, too, Chanyeol. My name is ___.”

“___...” he murmured, as if trying how the name felt on his tongue. It definitely sounded nice, you decided with a resolute nod.

“I…I actually went back to…to that place again?” you had no idea how to call it without using profanities, so this had to suffice.

“I wanted to thank you for…saving me, I guess? If you hadn’t been there…I don’t think we would be having this conversation right now.” You chuckled, twirling the noodles on your fork. Chanyeol’s eyes flashed with something different than the amusement and interest he had in his eyes while looking at you, something more…feral.

“Then I am glad I was there to save you.” He rumbled quietly. The dangerous glint was gone as quickly as it appeared on his face, replaced by a small grin.

“Sehun told me you talked to him.”

“S-Sehun?” your eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Who the hell is Sehun?

“Ah!” it finally clicked.

“The tall, pierced-all-over guy?” Chanyeol laughed at your description, nodding.

“Yeah, that’s him. He told me you were looking for me.”

“And so…you followed me here?” A guilty scratch to the back of his head answered your question, as Chanyeol averted his gaze to the corner of the table.

“I…I guess I did it a bit instinctively.” He explained himself.

“I’m glad you did, then.” You put him at ease.

“Oh! Are you hungry?” Chanyeol looked back at you as you waved over the slowly cooling noodles.

“I always forget they have such big portions here…I won’t finish it, for sure.”

“I’m okay, ___. Had plenty to eat before I came here.” Your stomach dropped a bit. What if, after this, he would just stand up and leave? You gave him your thanks. He doesn’t need to see you anymore.

“But after you finish…would you like to go out somewhere?” his question interrupted your train of thought.

“With me?” And his addition had it speeding up again, along with the swarm of butterflies currently occupying your stomach.

“I’d really like to get to know you more, ___.”Chanyeol’s deep voice made you thankful you were sitting. You just hoped your nod wasn’t too enthusiastic.

“Me, too.” You replied, making his smile grow wider.

“After all, such a mysterious savior…I would be crazy not wanting to know more.” You amended with a small laugh, in which Chanyeol joined in.

“With such a beautiful damsel in distress I’ve saved, I’d be crazy myself not wanting to be with her.”

This man is going to be the death of you, you realized with a blush to your cheeks. 

And to be honest, you wouldn’t mind it even one bit.