Chapter 2

My Mistake {editing}

   It has been a week since my graduation and ever since my mom is acting weirder than usual. Every time I start to pack she unpacks it, there’s railings on all my windows now and a new security alarm. I went down from my room and I saw my mom starting up the paper shredder. I was about to ignore her when I saw that she opened my graduation box; pictures, documents, medals and pictures from preschool graduation ‘til now was in there.

“Mom, are you okay?” I asked her with concern as I slowly walked towards her.

“Have I been a horrible mother to you?” she asked with her eyes on the picture of me and the man at my graduation.

“No”

“Then why was he with you?” she said as she faced me, holding up the picture and fresh tears streaming from her eyes.

“I don’t know that man; do you know who he is?” I said with suspicion

“He’s your father” she said as she sunk to the floor crying

   I was shocked by two things one my mom never cried no matter how hard the situation was, once there was a flood because of heavy rains and she never complained nor cried because the whole first floor was soaked, she just grabbed a mop and pail and started to work. The other reason was because he was there but my feeling of disgust was more I could feel than happiness of seeing my father.

“I don’t care who he is” I said while hugging my mom on the floor. We stayed in that position until we heard a car stop in front of our house. A man wearing a black suit and holding a briefcase came in and sat down on our couch.

“Who are you?” I asked rudely

“Rude aren’t you just like your mother” he said while opening his case

“I’m not the one invading someone’s house!”

“What are you doing here, get out, I kept my side of the bargain remember?” my mom said while wiping her tears.

“I came for her” he said and then pointed a finger at me.