ert In Town

Fools

 

KiKwang knocked on the wooden double doors to his father’s room and walk in. “I want to travel.”

“Travel? To where?” His father sat up on his bed.

“I don’t know. Somewhere, anywhere.” KiKwang sat down on the edge.

“Why? Is it because of GaYoon?” His father asks.

Trying to act like he was confused KiKwang asks “What about her?”

“I’m your father I know…you like her. It must be weird having her for a sister in law.”

KiKwang sighs. “So is that a yes?”

“Okay…comeback when you’re ready.” His father gave him a little pat on his shoulder.

“What if I never come back?”

“I’ll come get you. Running away from your problems isn’t the solution son.”

“If I’m not going to run away from this what do you suggest I do? Tell her and DooJoon the truth?”

“I wished you did before they got married. It’s too late now.”

----

“Remember we have a guest coming today.” JiHyun’s Uncle yelled out after her.

“YES” JiHyun yells back into the house. “I’ll get off early tonight!”

Mimi ran out of the house with her school uniform on. “Geeze, who is this person coming? Why is he getting such special treatment from dad? It better be the president of Korea or something.”

“Why would the president of Korea or any other big business man come here? They could be in those luxury hotels sipping on cold juice with umbrellas sticking out from the glass?”

“I don’t know, all I know is I’m going to be late.” Mimi wave bye and ran off to the bus stop.

 

JiHyun slip on her shoes and ran to the back to grab her bike. She places her bag in the basket and rode off to her day job. It didn’t pay as much as her job in the city but it was close to home. She couldn’t be away from her family anymore. Her uncle let one of his friend from work take out money with his name and never paid back. The bank is constantly calling for them to pay and the gangs were always coming to get their money. She needed to help pay back the debt.

 

JiHyun rode into the busy market and ran into the small restaurant she worked for. “Good morning ahjummah!”

“Yah why are you so loud in the morning? Since you have so much energy take the orders out.” The boss ahjummah commanded.

“NE!!!!” JiHyun grab two trays of breakfast set and stacked them on her head. “I’ll be back soon.”

“Don’t go play around too long!”

“Ne”

 

JiHyun stepped into the busy market and squeeze her way through to her destination.

 

----

 

KiKwang looked at the directions he was given. He wasn’t sure if he was going the right way or if the place he was heading for was real. He looked around and saw no one. He looked up to the sky and saw it was about to rain. He needed to find the house soon or he might end up stuck in the rain.

 

“Did he give me the wrong address?” KiKwang continue walking up the hill and saw a girl riding a bike. “Excuse me!” He ran after the girl “MISS! WAIT!!”

 

JiHyun had her earphones on and didn’t hear KiKwang calling her. She wasn’t even aware that he was behind her. She stops her bike because all the paddling up hill had tired her out. KiKwang saw this chance as to finally catch up to her and ask her for help. He ran as fast as he could and just as he was about to reach her she starts walking.

 

“Stop!” He reaches out and grabs her shirt. The sound of clothes ripping ringed through the area.

JiHyun grab her shirt and let go of her bike. “YAH! WHO ARE YOU? SOME KIND OF ERT? HELP! HELP! THERE’S A ERT HERE!”

“No, no” KiKwang shook his head. “I…I…YOUR BIKE!” KiKwang pointed to the bike rolling down the side of the hill.

“MY BIKE!” JiHyun ran to the edge of the road and slowly climb down after her bike. At this point she didn’t care about her rip shirt anymore. Her bike and dinner was more important.

“Yah, it’s dangerous!” KiKwang yells to her from above.

JiHyun tripped over herself and watched as her bike rolled right into the body of water. “My bike…I had a chicken in there too.”

 

KiKwang offer JiHyun his help as she got up to the edge. She glares at him and rejected his help. She climbs out onto the road and dust herself off.

 

“Are you okay?” KiKwang asks worried.

“Who are you? I never seen you in this town before. Who are your parents? Do you know you owe me a bike!” She looks at him from head to toe. He was dressed in dark jeans and a black shirt. “Where are you from?”

“I’m looking for someone.” He shows her the information he wrote down.

 

In JiHyun’s mind she as panicking. Why was this stranger going to her house? Is he working for the bank? She took a look at him from head to toe. He doesn’t look like someone who works in a bank. Can he be from a gang? She looks at him again. Nah, he looks to girly to be in a gang. But just to be safe she acted like she didn’t know.

 

“I’m so sorry but this family had moved not long ago.” She hands the paper back to him.

“But I just talked to the person yesterday.”

“Oh really? I wouldn’t know then. Bye.”

 

JiHyun quickly ran off. KiKwang scratch his head. Did uncle give him the wrong address? He pulls out his cell and dials the number again. His phone rings and rings.

 

----

 

“Who keeps calling me?” JiHyun took out her phone and looked at the number. It was the one she didn’t recognize and the same number that kept calling her all day so she took out her batteries to make it stop ringing.

“KiKwang?” Uncle came out of the house.

“OMG don’t tell me you lost your memory.” JiHyun ran over to her uncle and held his hand.

He taps her on her forehead. “Idoit, I was waiting for our guest.”

“He’s not here yet? Maybe he’s having trouble getting here. Old people do have problems getting to our house”

“Old he’s not old. I’m pretty sure he’s the same age as you.”

“Same age?” JiHyun scratch her head. “Why do you know someone who’s the same age as me?”

“Give me your phone.” Uncle held out his hand. JiHyun hands it over. “Why is it turned off? I gave him your phone number to reach me if he needed help. How is he going to reach me when you had it off?”

“Oh…oops.”

“Oops what?”

“A weird number kept calling me all day and I didn’t know it so I didn’t pick up. I think that was him…”

 

BOOM! The sky had now turn pitch black with lighting appearing herein there. It started to rain heavily. Uncle took JiHyun in doors and both waited for KiKwang inside. Aunt had a ladies night out with the neighborhood ladies and Mimi was studying at a friend’s house.

 

Uncle turns to JiHyun. “Didn’t you say you bought a chicken?”

“I did. But I met this guy and he ripped my shirt and my bike fell into the water. The chicken was in my basket.”

“Why did he rip your shirt? Is there a ert in town?”

“I don’t know. Maybe? The weird thing was he was looking for our house. But I told him the address didn’t exist.”

“Oh, good then. Maybe he was someone working for the bank or the gangs.”

“Yeah I was thinking the same thing.”

“Appa! Unnie! HURRY!” Mimi started yelling from outside.

“Mimi?” JiHyun ran to the door and open to see a soaking Mimi with a guy leaning on her for support.

JiHyun gasp and screamed. “AHHH, Mimi! Let him go. He’s the ert who ripped my shirt!” JiHyun grabs Mimi’s arm and started pulling her.

“But unnie! He’s hurt!” Mimi ran her hands through his hair. “And he’s very handsome.”

Uncle came to the door horrified “OHHH KIKWANG! Hurry bring him in.”

“He’s KiKwang?” JiHyun ask as Mimi and Uncle brought him in. “Oops”