Chance

Fools

 

KiKwang walk behind JiHyun as they made their way home. She’s been distancing herself from him and he didn’t like it. It took him a while to get a little close to her and now he’s back to where he started.  Did something happen? He wasn’t sure. He wasn’t even sure why he wanted to be close to her? Maybe he liked her? KiKwang shook his head. When did his expectations get this low? But he couldn’t help it something about her attracted him. Was it her strong but fragile self? Was it her rear smile? Or did he just like her stubbornness? Everyone he dated before was always so willing to do what he wanted and he got bored with each girl after a week. The only girl he had ever kept near for a long period of time was GaYoon. But she was different from JiHyun, she was…perfect in every way. Maybe he didn’t have a chance with her was because he himself was not perfect, DooJoon his older brother was perfect.

 

“JiHyun”

 

Both JiHyun and KiKwang stop walking. It was JunHyung. He grins at JiHyun and wave.

 

“What do you want?” JiHyun asks annoyed.

“I thought I walk you home.” JunHyung walks up to her and put his arm around her shoulder and started walking away from KiKwang.

“No thanks.” JiHyun  push JunHyung away from her. “I’m almost home anyways.”

“Fine, I’ll come tomorrow then.” JunHyung leans down in front of JiHyun as if he was going to kiss her.

JiHyun close her eyes and push him. “Stop it! I don’t need you to come tomorrow or any day. I can walk home by myself.” JiHyun taunt him with her fist and ran off.

“Feisty, I like her.” JunHyung laughs to himself.

“Hey” KiKwang taps JunHyung’s shoulder.

“What?” JunHyung turns and before his eyes met KiKwang’s he felt a strong hit on his right cheek.

KiKwang had punched him. “Don’t come near her or her family. Don’t try to start up problems for them, don’t bully them. If you do I will make sure to destroy you.”

JunHyung looks up at KiKwang and laughs. “Who do you think you are to say those things? How long are you going to stay anyways? I heard your family is looking for you. You shouldn’t say those things if you are just going to leave them anyways.”

KiKwang rolls his eyes and starts walking again.

“YAH!” JunHyung yells.

KiKwang turns back to him.

“I know you like her…why do you have to like her?” JunHyun’s voice cracked at the end trying to hold in his anger. “I don’t want to see her go through another heart break. She hasn’t healed from the last one yet and here you are, you’re going to break her again if you like her.”

“What if I’m the one to heal her broken heart?”

JunHyung walks up to KiKwang and grabs his shirt collar. “You’re not! You’re just stupid. You don’t know anything. You’re just going to break her even more.”

KiKwang was confused. “What do you know?”

JunHyung let’s go of him. “Something I can’t tell.”

 

----

 

JiHyun was on her normal morning breakfast delivery when Mrs. Yang the ahjumma who runs the fruit and flower stall next to Aunt Nam’s vegetable stall stops her.

 

“Child where have you been?” Mrs. Yang ran over to JiHyun and took the trays from her. “We’ve been looking for you everywhere.”

“Why?”

“Your uncle he was hit by a truck while on his bike.”

“JiHyun!” HyunSeung was running over to her with a frighten face.

 

----

 

“KiKwang! OPPA!” JiYoon ran into the garage shop crying.

KiKwang walks over to JiYoon worried. “What is it? Why are you crying?”

“Un-un-uncle…he he he” JiYoon try explaining what happen but she couldn’t stop herself from crying.

“Uncle? What happen to him?” KiKwang shook the crying JiYoon.

“He…he’s in the hospital!” JiYoon yells sobbing even harder.

 

----

 

 JiHyun and KiKwang arrived at the hospital main entrance at the same time but there wasn’t time for them to stop and ask questions. HyunSeung was running after JiHyun. The three ran over to the information desk and was told to head to the surgery floor. JiHyun saw Mimi and Aunt at the doors crying and she picked up her speed.

 

“Unnie” Mimi stood up.

JiHyun knock on the doors and start yelling. “Where is he? Let me see him!”

“JiHyun” HyunSeung tries to pull JiHyun away from the doors but she wouldn’t let him.

“Let me see him!” JiHyun yells again with tears now finally dropping from her eyes. “Please”

KiKwang pulls JiHyun away from the door and bear hug her so she’ll stop hitting the door. “Stop it! Let them help him. You’ll get to see him soon. Everything will be okay…I promise.”

 

JiHyun’s tense body started to loosen in his arms. She couldn’t hold it anymore. She broke down and cried her heart out. KiKwang could tell she was in so much pain by how hard she was sobbing into his chest. It hurt him more to see her like this. Mimi walks over from where she was standing and hugs JiHyun from the back. She had never seen her unnie cry this hard. Even DooJoon didn’t make her cry this hard.  Mimi’s chest tightens as she held onto her own tears.

 

“He was hit pretty hard.”

 

JiHyun lifelessly stared at her uncle.

 

“We did all that we can.”

 

JiHyun looks at Mimi and then at her aunt. She has to be the strong one. She shouldn’t cry.

 

“He’s in a vegetative state.”

 

She felt a pair of hands land on her shoulders but she didn’t look to see who it was. She already knew who it was. JiYoon. She wraps her arms around JiHyun to comfort her. JiHyun’s eyes wander over to KiKwang and saw him sitting alone in the corner. He was also trying to hold in his tears.

 

“Excuse me” A nurse came in. “Can I talk to the person in charge?”

 

Mimi and aunt look at JiHyun. JiHyun remove JiYoon’s arms and walk out with the nurse.

 

“I’m sorry, I know you are going through a tough time right now but we’re having troubles with the health insurance. The company told us that he had stop making payments for his policy long ago. So we need to know how you will pay for the hospital bill.”

“What?” JiHyun snatch the papers from the nurse. “But..”

“I can split it to monthly payments but this will not be the end of the amount. The longer he stays the more the amount will grow.”

“It’s okay. Just split it. Please just keep him breathing.” JiHyun plead.

 

KiKwang was standing outside waiting for JiHyun. He stops her from going in.

 

“Don’t worry. I’ll ask for more hours. I’ll find out a way to help with the bill.”

JiHyun turns to him. “Who are you? Why are you doing this? Who ask you to help?”

“He treats me like a son, I want to help in any way I can. Besides…we can’t let you do this alone. You need help. You can’t take care of everything yourself.”

“Can I trust you?”

“You just need to give me a chance.”