KiKwang?

Fools

 

KiKwang silently walk beside JiHyun as they made their way home. It’s been a month since uncle had gotten in to the accident. Aunt really didn’t return. She didn’t even call but then why would she? Mimi stops her night job at the bar and started to focus on her studies again. JunHyung stop coming by and the bills were starting to lessen. They didn’t make enough for everything to be ok but they made enough to live and continue living.

JiHyun stops walking and stare up into the sky. “I…I was abandon in a Ferris wheel when I was little. Remember last time what happen? My parents took me to an amusement park and told me to ride it by myself. I did as they told me and when I got down from the ride they were gone. I cried around the park calling mommy and daddy but they didn’t come back. I was too far from home to walk home so after the park closed I wander the street crying. That was where I met Uncle Nam. He took me to his bike and took me to the police. He stayed there with me until the police found out who I was and where I was from. The police told him they were going to take me home but then when I got home my parents weren’t there. Our house was pitch black. The next day I was told that my parents were in a car crash and had passed away. I was really sad and cried a lot not knowing they abandon me on purpose. When I found out that they did it on purpose I was lost. I felt un wanted, empty. I was a mistake for my parents. So when Uncle decided to adopt me I promise myself that I won’t ever leave him. He took me in and raise me even though he didn’t have much. After I turn eighteen I change my last name to his. I feel like he’s the only one that would ever want me and love me. He has such a big heart…why did this have to happen to him?”

“Bad things happen to good people for no reason.”

“The world is really unfair.” JiHyun looks at KiKwang. “I’m glad you stayed even though you didn’t have too.”

“He treated me like his son since I was born. We were once neighbors. But my mother…she said I was a mistake to her and gave me away to my father. I probably left before you came here. I remember Mimi but she was so little then. The town didn’t treat me like they do now. The ahjumma hated me back then.” KiKwang laughs. “I was a trouble maker back in the old days.”

 

JiHyun laugh at his story. He loved they way she laughs. Seeing a smile on her face was like gold to him. It was rear and it was worth it when she finally smiles. The phone in his pocket started ringing. KiKwang look at the number and pressed end for it to stop ringing.

 

“Who is it?” JiHyun asks. “You could have answer it.”

KiKwang shook his head. “It’s not important. Just those telemarketer.”

 

----

 

 KiKwang went into his room and close the door, locking it too. He presses redial and waited for someone to pick up the phone. “What is it?”

“KiKwang?”

“I’m really busy, why did you call?”

It was GaYoon. “Your father is really sick KiKwang. He’s asking for you. Please come home.”

“Is that all? Is that the real reason why you want me to come home?”

“DooJoon is having a real hard time controlling the company. He needs your help.”

“Why does he need me? He’s better at taking care of the company than me why does he need my help?”

GaYoon sighs. “At least come home and see your father. Please.”

“Is he really bad?” KiKwang sighs.

“Yes KiKwang he’s asking for you.”

“Fine, I’ll  make room for this weekend.” KiKwang hangs up and change out of his work clothes.

 

In the kitchen Mimi and JiHyun were setting the table. Mimi saw KiKwang come out of his room and called him over.

 

“Oppa come, dinner is ready.”

KiKwang sat in his seat and watch as the two girl finish setting the table. “I won’t be home this weekend.”

“Where are you going?” Mimi asks.

“I have stuff to do in Seoul.”

“Really? JiHyun unnie is going there too.”

“Why are you going to Seoul?” KiKwang asks.

“My friend got some herbs for Uncle so I’m going to go get them.” JiHyun sat down.

“I can go get them for you.” KiKwang suggested.

“It’s okay. I want to go visit her anyways.”

“So you two can go together then. I’ll go visit appa.” Mimi smiled at them. “Don’t do anything weird while you two are away from me.”

JiHyun nudge her with her elbow. “What are you talking about?”

 

KiKwang and Mimi laughed at JiHyun’s embarrass face.

 

----

 

KiKwang handed JiHyun a bottle of water. They were sitting next to each other on the bus. Mimi had drop them off at the bus station before she left to go spend the day with her father. She gave KiKwang the snacks and water for him to carry thinking KiKwang and JiHyun will somehow click. Mimi though they look very cute together.

 

“Do you have a place to stay in Seoul?” JiHyun asks.

“I’ll find one. You?”

“My friend’s place.” JiHyun took a slip of her water. “Are you coming back on Sunday too?”

“I’m not sure yet. If I get stuff done then yes.” KiKiwang hands her a boil egg.

JiHyun took it and held it in her hand. “Uncle use to pack me these all the time…I don’t usually eat them. I save them for HyunAh, my friend.” A tear roll down her cheek. “I should have eaten them..now I’m not sure if I would ever get the chance to get them from him again.”

KiKwang took his egg and hit JiHyun’s head with it to crack it. “You have a hard head. Look at my egg it’s all broken.” KiKwang showed her the egg. He didn’t want her to be sad so he decided to change the subject.

JiHyun was rubbing her head. “That hurts you know?” She took hers and crack it on his head. The egg didn’t crack. “What’s wrong with your head?” She pouts looking at the egg.

 

KiKwang laugh at her cuteness and watch as she crack her egg on her head.

 

----

 

“YOU’RE HERE!!” HyunAh screamed running to the door to hug JiHyun.

“I miss you.” JiHyun hug her back.

“I’m so sorry for everything.” HyunAh cries.

 

JiHyun tighten her hug around HyunAh.

 

----

 

KiKwang reach in his backpack and on the bottom he found his keys. He let himself in the house and found no one home. He went to his room and unpacks his clothes. He took a shower and freshen up before walking into his closet and picking out a suit to wear.

 

“KiKwang!” Mrs. Lee came into his room without knocking. “KiKwang is that you?” She came into the closet and found KiKwang buttoning his shirt. “You’re home!” She ran over to him and hugs him. “Where have you been? Your father misses you so much. I miss you. I was so worried. But your father told me you were in good hands so I didn’t call. I wanted to but your father told me not to so I didn’t.”

“Hi mom.” KiKwang hugs her. “I miss you too.”

“Are you hungry? Should I cook you something?” She places her hands on his cheeks. “You’ve gotten thin.”

“I’ll eat anything you cook, I’m hungry.”

“Okay, I’ll go right now okay.” She lets go of KiKwang and happily ran down stairs calling their maid.

 

Even though she didn’t like KiKwang when he first came but as time went by she accepted him and he too accepted her as his mother. She was better than his real mother. KiKwang grab the blazer on his table of watches and followed his mother.

 

“It’s so good!” KiKwang clean his plate and drink the last drop of the tea his mother had made for him. “I’m so full now.”

“I’ll cook your favorite later for dinner okay? I have to go back to the store and get the ingerdents.” Mrs. Lee took off her apron.

“Is dad really sick?”

Mrs. Lee turns to him. “He’s getting better but he’s still no ready to come home yet. He’s very weak.”

“I should go visit him.”

“Why don’t we got together? I’m on my way there to send him some food.”

 

----

 

“My friend who works in the traditional medicine department said we can meet her today. I know you just got here but she said that she’ll be busy the rest of the weekend.” HyunAh held onto JiHyun as they walk through the hospital hall.

“Thanks HyunAh.”

“No problem. I’m your best friend I should help you in any way I can.”

 

While they were waiting to go see the traditional medicine doctor JiHyun was looking around the hospital. She notice how big this hospital was compare to the one back home. She thought if she brought uncle here maybe they would be able to help him. She was looking at the elevtor when it open. A bunch of people walk out and she thought she had seen KiKwang. It couldn’t be him. He was all dress up and rich looking. JiHyun rub her eyes and look again. He did look like him but she didn’t want to believe it. Why would KiKwang be dress like that?

 

“JiHyun…JiHyun…JIHYUN.”

“Hm?” JiHyun looks at HyunAh.

“I said let’s go.”

 

HyunAh pulls JiHyun up and started pulling her away.