Chapter Twenty Three

♥...Angels Only Love Once...♥

~ Chapter Twenty Three ~

"Excuse me young lady, it’s time for us to perform a daily check up on Mr. Lee now. Would you kindly step out of the room for now, please? I lifted my head from my arms and slowly opened my eyes, it was already the next morning. I must have fallen asleep sometime during the night. I turned to find the doctor from last night who had operated on Donghae, "Ah~ sorry! I fell asleep, yes that’s fine, I will wait outside” I said feeling slightly embarrassed. "Oh no, that’s alright. I came in a little early this morning because I wanted to see to Mr. Lee straight away, I know how important he is to you all. Ah, and aren’t you the girl from last night? I’m Doctor Kim, pleased to meet you” he said shaking my hand. "Doctor Kim, thank you for saving Donghae’s life. I’m Singing Angel…oh no I mean-" but Doctor Kim began speaking again, "Ah! So you’re the Singing Angel? You must be very important to Donghae” smiled the doctor. I casted my eyes down as my cheeks grew pink. "I won’t keep you any longer, doctor. I’ll go outside now so you can begin your check up on Donghae” I said politely as I stepped out and closed the door behind me.

The door to Donghae’s room opened and Doctor Kim stepped out with his clipboard in his arms, I instantly stood up and waited for him to speak. "You rest assured Singing Angel, everything is normal and he’s right on track to a fast recovery" said Doctor Kim in a relieving tone. I let out a sigh of relief and gave Doctor Kim a grateful hug. "You don’t know how thankful I am, doctor”, Doctor Kim just smiled, “Donghae’s very fortunate to have you looking after him. Sorry, I need to see to other patients now so I’ll see you tomorrow for Donghae’s next check up ok? ” I nodded and watched him go. I stepped back into Donghae’s room and rushed to his side, I held his fragile hands in mine and told him the good news, "Hae! Doctor Kim said you’re going to recover very soon, so keep fighting it alright? Please wake up soon…you miss me- I mean us, right?” suddenly Donghae responded for the first time, he gently squeezed my hand. I nearly jumped in shock, quicly I looked to see if there were any more signs of him gaining consciousness. I smiled at his peaceful expression, he really was a sleeping prince…*beeeep* the sound was coming from the monitor, his heartbeat had stopped. My eyes grew wide as panic grew within me, I let go of his hands and ran out into the corridor and screamed for help “SOMEBODY HELP! HIS HEART HAS STOPPED BEATING!” a group of nurses that had just exited the meeting room looked up from their schedules and directed their attention to me. They all looked at each other in concern and they dispatched in all directions, one of the nurses fled towards me and grabbed my hands “Stay calm, Doctor Kim is on his way ok? Everything is going to be fine” she said, trying to calm me down. My lip quivered as she sat me down on the seat just outside Donghae’s room. Was this it…? But Doctor Kim had seemed so sure about Donghae’s recovery…I can’t bear the thought of losing him now…suddenly nurses hurried past with machines and recovery equipment. Doctor Kim also arrived and burst into the room, I watched through the window as doctors and nurses tried to retrieve Donghae’s heartbeat, I felt so useless…I was just sitting here when Donghae’s life was on the line…"SINGING ANGEL! How is Donghae? I saw some nurses rushing around just bef-", I looked up, at the end of the corridor stood Eunhyuk. He stopped once he saw my pale face, he took one glance through the window before rushing to my side, “Oppa…he lost his heartbeat…” I said in a shaken voice, clutching onto Eunhyuk’s arm. Eunhyuk took hold of my hands and looked me directly in the eyes, "It’s going to be ok, Doctor Kim is a very good doctor and he will do anything to save Donghae. He thinks it’s the least he can do after…” Eunhyuk paused. I looked up at him in confusion, “The least he can do after what…?" Eunhyuk avoided my eyes but eventually was prepared to talk, "Doctor Kim was the doctor looking after Donghae’s father while he was sick, diagnosed with cancer. But unfortunately Donghae’s father became very ill, very suddenly and he was in a serious condition at the time. Doctor Kim tried so hard to help Donghae’s father…but it was no use…so up until this day, Doctor Kim has always blamed himself for it. So he has promised himself this time that he must save Donghae, because he cannot make the same mistake again. So you don’t need to worry, Singing Angel, Donghae is in safe hands” reassured Eunhyuk. I nodded as he pulled me towards him, my soft breath was felt against his chest, as he my hair like he always would.

Eunhyuk and I both stood up once Doctor Kim emerged from Donghae’s room, I was hoping with everything that I had that Donghae was ok. Eunhyuk spoke for both of us, “Doctor Kim, was it successful?” Doctor Kim had sweat dripping down the side of his head and his face had become pale, “It was a hard battle reviving Donghae’s heartbeat, but fortunately we managed it in the end” I looked up at Eunhyuk, we were both so relieved. Doctor Kim continued "However, if this happens once again…we cannot guarantee we will succeed. This is only the first time this has happened to Donghae, yet it was so difficult to retrieve his heartbeat” Pain struck, does Doctor Kim mean that Donghae’s only left with one more chance and that he could lose it anytime…? I rushed forward to Doctor Kim and grabbed his hands and knelt down in front of him, pleading “Please Doctor Kim, please do everything you can to save Donghae…last night I prayed and promised Donghae’s father that his son was going to be ok. You must keep this promise for us, Doctor Kim…” Doctor Kim and Eunhyuk both pulled me up from my knees, “Singing Angel, you don’t need to beg like this. I am no miracle worker, but I do indeed believe in miracles. You’re Donghae’s guardian angel and I believe that you have the ability to create that miracle, he really needs you” said Doctor Kim in a calm tone. I nodded, Donghae really needs me…I am his guardian angel.