Chapter Twenty One

♥...Angels Only Love Once...♥

~ Chapter Twenty One ~

My mind had become cloudy, I had no control over what appeared in my thoughts. The sky had already become a blanket of stars. After a whole day at the amusement park with Eunhyuk I had just dropped him off back at the Super Junior dorm, he had to prepare for the Sukira broadcast later on tonight. As I walked down the main road that led the way back to Miinah Street, Eunhyuk’s voice kept repeating itself in my head…”Singing Angel, did you ever move on…?” I tried so hard to shut everything out…but it all came flooding back to me. The flight to Seoul…the incident after the press conference…Seoul Tower…Jeju Island…I don’t know what to do about you, Lee Donghae.

“Annyeonghaseyo, you’re listening to Sukira, Kiss the Radio with Leeteuk and Eunhyuk!” said the chirpy voice of Leeteuk. “Yes that’s right! Hey Leeteuk hyung, have you been having any problems with love lately?” responded the familiar voice of Eunhyuk. “Ah~ me personally? No I haven’t, but I have a friend that’s recently been in a lot of pain because of love…” replied Leeteuk in a saddening tone. “Mmm…yes, I know someone that’s in pain too”, “It’s a sad thing isn’t it? Eunhyuk sshi, do you have any wise advice you would like to give to those people that are in such pain?”, “All I can say is that they should do what they feel is best, go with their first instincts. This is the best way to rid yourself of such unbearable pain”, “Yes you are right, let’s hope your words are heard”, “I want to ask you one thing Leeteuk sshi, do you believe in Singing Angels…?” I smiled as my eyes became teary, Leeteuk and Eunhyuk we’re trying to reach out to me…I hugged my knees closer to my body, suddenly realizing how cold and alone I was. I looked over to my cell phone that lay on the bedside table, I need to go with my first instincts…this pain, I don’t know what it is but I need to fight it. I reached over the bed and clasped my phone in my hands, I scrolled down the contacts list until I found the name ‘Lee Donghae’. My hands began shaking and they lost all strength in themselves…the phone landed on the bed covers. “Singing Angels are rare things aren’t they, Eunhyuk sshi?”, “Ah~ yes indeed they are. I believe that Singing Angels are able to create miracles on this Earth…” Eunhyuk oppa…you are right, I really need a miracle right now…please…*bzzz* *bzzz* my cell phone was vibrating. I looked down at it sitting next to my lap; “Incoming Call: Donghae”. My eyes grew wide and I bit my lip, is this possible…? With both hands, still shaking, I picked up the vibrating phone. I hesitated for a split second before answering the call, “Yo…yobeoseyo?” I said as my voice trembled. “It’s…it’s Donghae. I know this sounds stupid, but I want to see you because my first instincts told me so.” I took in a breath, he’d been listening to Leeteuk and Eunhyuk on Sukira too…”Me…me too, my first instincts are telling me now that I also really want to see you”, I began walking towards the frameless glass window, “Then…let’s meet at the Seoul Tower entrance?” Donghae said. I looked out and in the distance I saw the tip of Seoul Tower, I flashbacked to the last time Donghae and I met there. “Ah~ sure, I’ll see you soon then” I said before hanging up the call. I stood there for a few minutes, not believing what I had just agreed to. Come on Singing Angel…this is your only chance to help him, Donghae won’t have to endure all this pain anymore.

I pushed open the main doors of the Miinah Street Apartment building and forced myself out into the cold night. I made my way down the front steps that led into the building, suddenly I noticed a kind old lady sitting behind a cardboard box that lent against the building foundations. She wore a dark purple patterned robe and a turban-like piece that balanced on her head. I smiled at her politely and began walking towards Seoul Tower, “Psst…psst…young lady over there!” she said under her breath, the old lady was calling out to me. I turned back, with her thin and weary finger she signaled me to get closer. I became confused, but walked towards her nevertheless. “Would you like to have your fortune told, my dear?” she said in a friendly voice. I smiled back, “My…my fortune? Well sure, if you insist ^^”. After hearing my words she pulled out a glass jar filled with paper stars from behind the cardboard box. “All you have to do is pick any star in this jar and it will tell you your fortune!” said the old lady gladly. I nodded as she unscrewed the lid of the jar, I put my hand inside and managed to pinch onto a single star. I looked at her, holding the fragile origami in my hand, “Go on, undo it and your fortune will be told.” she ushered. I began unfolding the paper star until it returned to its original form, a long strip of origami paper. My fortune had been neatly written across it: “The heavens are against you tonight, poor soul. The one that you love will be in dire danger under heaven’s watch, one’s lifeline may be cut.” What does this mean…? I looked up to find the kind old lady smiling at me, “Thank you for telling me my fortune…” I said followed by a slight bow. “It’s my pleasure, dear. May your life be full of happiness and prosperity!” she said as I waved goodbye.

I continued on my way to Seoul Tower, where I had agreed to meet Donghae. I began to become puzzled and confused about what my fortune was trying to tell me…”The one that you love will be in dire danger…” the one that I love? Kyuhyun…will be in danger tonight…? I shook my head, this must be a mistake, surely! I cleared out my mind and filled it with the thoughts of seeing Donghae and I began thinking about various solutions to ease the intensity between him and me. Before I knew it, I had already arrived at the Seoul Tower Plaza. I looked ahead and saw the tall, handsome silhouette of Donghae. He was kneeling down in front of an adorable little girl as she handed him a single rose. Even from where I stood, I could see the glowing smile of Donghae. I smiled as I figured children were one of the many things that brought joy to him. I watched the warming scene as Donghae got up and bent over to pat the little girl’s head, the little girl smiled and hugged his legs before running off to her parents that waited for her at the other end of the plaza. Donghae put the rose up to his nose and inhaled the sweet smell of the flower, before looking up and spotting me in the distance. I waved and began walking towards him, he began walking towards me and we met somewhere in the middle of it all. When we came face to face his eyes had already caught my attention, I fell deep into them…I snapped out of it and lowered my head to avoid further distraction. Donghae lifted my chin, I looked up at him and smiled. He reached for my hand. I panicked, I didn’t want this to encourage him…just as I was about to pull my hand away, he placed the rose into my hand. I looked up at him with a surprised expression, he laughed and patted my head, “That’s for you!” I loosened up my tense body and let out a sigh of relief, “Ah~ thank you oppa, do you know that little girl that just gave you this rose?” I asked. “No I didn’t actually, I think kids are just naturally attracted to me huh ^^?” he shrugged in amusement.

“Wow~ oppa, look at the view…isn’t it just amazing?!” I exclaimed as we stepped out onto the rooftop balcony of Seoul Tower. I walked forward towards the metal barrier and admired the breathtaking view, Seoul truly was a beautiful place…suddenly Donghae put his arms around me from behind, my heart jumped and skipped a beat. “I can’t stop loving you, Singing Angel…I don’t know what else to do…” Donghae whispered into my ear. My heart sank and became heavy with sadness. I bit my lip, my eyes became teary as the beautiful view of Seoul became a blurry mess. I turned around and held Donghae tight, I knew I had never been ready to let him go. “I know Donghae…I’m sorry, sorry for all this pain I’ve caused you…but I have Kyuhyun now. Please try to understand me, oppa…it’s really time for us to move away from all this…but I really can’t do this alone” I said sobbing into his jacket. “You’re not alone, I’m here for you” Donghae replied, holding me even closer to his warm body now. I looked up into his eyes and nodded, I wish time could slow itself down right now…I looked over Donghae’s shoulder, a large part of the balcony was covered with padlocks of many colors. They were the ones that couples left at Seoul Tower to express their love for one another. I let go of Donghae and grabbed his hand, leading him towards the padlock display. “Donghae, we should hang a padlock here. Then we can promise each other that our feelings should remain here forever, and are not to escape…” I said staring up into Donghae’s deep brown eyes. Donghae looked back at me with concern but nodded and squeezed my hand in encouragement. I stepped forward and chose a sapphire blue padlock that had a small red heart imprinted on its surface. I picked up the marker pen that lay on the bench next to the display. I stood close to Donghae as a big gust of wind whipped at my hair and my body flinched at the sudden change in temperature, Donghae put his arm around my shoulders trying to warm me up. “Hae…what should we write on the lock?” I asked him. Donghae raised his brow and began thinking seriously, no words could explain how cute he looked. “When Mokpo Fishy and Singing Angel come together, it’s…” he hesitated as he tried to search for the right word, “Forbidden love?” I suggested. “Ah yes, forbidden love” agreed Donghae. I removed the key from the bottom of the padlock and placed it into Donghae’s hands. I knelt down and hung the lock next to the other thousand, all the while knowing that from tonight onwards I couldn’t love this boy Lee Donghae any longer.

*slide* The doors of the Seoul Tower skyline carriage opened and Donghae and I stepped inside. Donghae took my hand and led me to the corner of the carriage. We started moving along the Namsan hill side as I put my face up against the window, my breath fogged up the glass as I tried to take in the beautiful view of Seoul. I turned back around again and looked up at Donghae, “So…after tonight, we can’t love each other anymore…” I said cringing at my own words. Donghae smiled, the same smile which I fell for on the first time we met, he my cheek gently and shook his head, “It may seem so…but remember, all our love is stored in that little sapphire padlock up there ^^” he said reassuringly. I smiled back at him and nodded *BANG* the carriage was thrown into an unexpected stop. I was shoved right into Donghae and he was slammed against the carriage walls. Donghae groaned with pain, I stepped back, “HAE! Are you alright?! I’m sorry, I threw myself right into you >_

“So is this really it?” I said fighting back tears. We stood in the middle of the Seoul Tower Plaza, delaying our goodbyes. Suddenly my cell phone vibrated from inside my bag, I pulled it out and it was a text message from Kyuhyun: “Singing Angel! I’m waiting for you outside your apartment building. My schedule has finished for the day ^^.” I looked into Donghae’s eyes, “It’s Kyuhyun isn’t it? His schedule should have ended by now, he’s waiting for you. Go ^^!” Donghae insisted through tearing eyes. He held my hands in his before leaning forward to kiss me, then he slowly let go of my hands and began backing away. I watched as the distance between us grew, suddenly he stopped, he slid something off his wrist and threw it in my direction. I caught it, it was the silver bracelet Donghae had treasured so much. I looked up at him in shock and shook my head, I couldn’t keep this bracelet. I lifted my arm to throw the bracelet back to him but he shook his head, signaling to me to put it on. I hesitated for a moment but slid it around my wrist, this was something I could really remember Donghae by. I looked back at him, he formed a heart with his hands and pointed up towards the Seoul Tower rooftop balcony.

I couldn’t help smiling to myself, letting go was painful but I knew it was for the best. I felt as though a huge burden had been lifted off my shoulders, now it was Kyuhyun and Kyuhyun only. Everything that had happened between Donghae and I didn’t exist anymore, all the memories were stored inside that single sapphire padlock. I pulled my cell phone out of my bag again, wanting to reply Kyuhyun’s text message. The screen was illuminated by the selca of me and Kyuhyun. I suddenly realized how much I had missed him, the last time I saw him was just this morning but I want him nevertheless ^^. As soon as I opened up my text message inbox, my phone began vibrating again but this time it was a call from Eunhyuk. He must have just finished the Sukira broadcast, “Yobeoseyo oppa?” I said in a pleased tone. “Singing Angel, he’s been in a car accident” said Eunhyuk in a panic. My eyes grew wide and my mouth dropped open, images of the origami fortune star flashed in my mind; “The heavens are against you tonight, poor soul. The one that you love will be in dire danger under heaven’s watch, one’s lifeline may be cut”, it must be Kyuhyun. “KYUHYUN?! But he’s supposed to be waiting for me outside my apartment! How’d he-“, I was interrupted by Eunhyuk at the other end of the call, “No, it’s not Kyuhyun. It’s Donghae.”