Chap18

June 28 Sequel: Daehyun or Jongup?

 

15th of October at 7PM

Everyone was busy chattering; excited, can’t wait for the party to start. Most of the guests were Zelo’s relatives, classmates, and friends. Mrs Choi tapped the wine glass using a spoon to get everyone’s attention. She grabbed a microphone and cleared .

“Good evening, everyone. I would like to thank all of you for coming tonight. You may think this is too fascinating to celebrate a birthday party but we wanted this night to be special for the youngest in our family. Let’s all welcome our birthday celebrant, Choi Junhong a.k.a. Zelo.” The guests gave him a round of applause. Zelo grabbed the microphone.

“Good evening. I never celebrated my birthday like this; I was the one who requested to celebrate it in a hotel but it turned out to be much more astounding than I expected, nevertheless I thank everyone for giving me such a party. Anyway, I’m pretty sure everyone here knows how much I want to become older since I didn’t like being treated as a baby.” The guests giggled. “But today, I just turned 19, and I realized that being young is fun, being the youngest is a gift because I get to be loved the most and to be taken care of everyone. Now, like all other people who deliver their speech, let me apologize and thank those special people in my life. First of all, the Almighty God, I apologize for being a naughty, stubborn son sometimes. Despite it, I would like to thank Him for giving me a big happy family and for staying by my side through these 19 years of living.

Eomma, I know it’s very hard without Appa, I would like to thank you for raising noona and I patiently.

Mr and Mrs Kim, I thank you too for everything. You stood as my parents, too. You’re very kind-hearted; we’re very happy and thankful to have such a big family. I don’t even know how we can repay all of your kindness.

Yongguk-hyung and Jongup-hyung, thank you for guiding me as I grow up. Youngjae-hyung, thank you for helping me with my studies. Daehyun-hyung, though we haven’t been together for so long, you’ve been a very kind hyung to me. Himchan-hyung, I understand you if you won’t forgive me because I’ve been a very bad, disrespectful dongsaeng but I would like to apologize to you. I want you to know that I accept you as my hyung.

Last but not the least, my noona, she’s been standing as our family’s bread-winner. She never lets me help her; she just keeps saying ‘You’re too young to work; enjoy your teen life.’ Don’t worry, when I get a job, you don’t need to work anymore, noona. Thank you for taking care of me and Eomma but please don’t forget to take care of yourself.” He made a 90 bow. “I love you all so much!” he added and the guests gave him another round of applause. Zelo got off the stage and went to the family’s table.

“Aigo~ my son has grown up. You almost made Eomma cry.” Your mom ruffled his hair.

“Eomma, how’s my speech?” Zelo, anticipating, asked.

“It’s so long~ I almost fell asleep.” You jokingly whined.

“Yah! Don’t be like that to your brother!” your mother lightly hit you. “It’s jjang, Zelo-yah. You’re so manly, but I bet you’ll cry sooner or later.” She added. You meronged at Zelo.

“No, I won’t. I’m not a cry baby anymore.” Zelo meronged back.

“Oh, really? I don’t think so.” You teased. “Hey, does anyone else here bet that Zelo will cry?” you asked; everyone in your table joined in and teased Zelo.

“Son, you mentioned about repaying earlier. Don’t think about it, it’s nothing, okay? You don’t need to repay us; we love doing these things for our one big family.” Mr Kim said.

“Being a good son is enough, dear.” Mrs Kim added.

“Zelo-yah...”

“H-himchan hyung...”

“Saengil chukhahae, my brother.” He gave Zelo a hug which surprised him; he was about to cry.

“Zelo is crying~” you teased. Soon, as expected, Zelo burst out crying.

“Hyung, please forgive me. I’m really sorry. I didn’t know what I was doing nor saying. Jeongmal joesonghamnida.” He said between his sobs.

“Gwaenchanha. I understand you. We did it on purpose; it was part of our acting. You didn’t know the truth so we were ready to accept your responses. Even you don’t accept me as your hyung, you’ll still be my dongsaeng, our maknae.” Himchan smiled. Zelo cried even harder.

“Your noona was right, you’ll cry.” All of you chuckled.

“Enough with the drama, dinner is soon to be served. Let’s all enjoy our meal, shall we?” you said.

“Ne!” everyone said in unison.

“Happy birthday, our maknae!” you all cheered.

 

After dinner, you accompanied Zelo to see how the guests were doing. They enthusiastically greeted your brother.

“Noona...” he called.

“Eung?”

“It’s going to be 10PM soon.” He worriedly looked at you. You sighed.

*FLASHBACK*

15th of October at 4PM

You were getting ready to leave the house because you volunteered to help to prepare in the venue.

“Jakeyung-ah...”

“Oh, Jongup?”

“Today is the day...”

You sighed.

"If you choose me, meet me at the fountain area at 10PM" Jongup said. “I’ll wait for you.” He added.

“Jongup, I have to go. Let’s talk later.” You wanted to avoid that topic.

“Okay. Take care on your way.”

When you arrived in the hotel, Daehyun, who arrived earlier, was there too. He also volunteered to help. You decided to approach him.

“Daehyun-oppa!”

“Oh, Jaekyung-ah. Wasseo.”

“Let me help you with those.” You helped him carry some flowers to be displayed at the lobby.

“What have you been doing here?” you asked.

“We just finished decorating the garden. It looks wonderful. You can take a look if you want.”

“Really?” you properly placed the bouquet in the vase and ran to the garden.

“Woah~ it is so refreshing in here.” You told yourself.

Suddenly, someone hugged your waist from the back.

“D-daehyun oppa...”

“Let’s stay like this for a while.” You blushed and nodded. “It’s so peaceful in here, isn’t it?” he whispered in your ear.

“Ne.” You smiled.

“When are you planning to tell who—“

“I’m still thinking about it.” You sighed. “I think I’m not yet ready; I will never be. I’m scared I have to hurt one of you.”

It was Daehyun’s turn to sigh. “You’re making this hard for yourself. Jaekyung-ah, we’re ready with whatever your decision is. Let’s do it like this,” he said. "If you choose me, meet me at the garden at 10PM" 

*Same time as Jongup’s.* you thought.

“Let’s go back home. We have to get ready; the party going to start soon.” He said.

*END OF FLASHBACK*

“I guess this is it.” You said.

“Noona...”

“I’ll be fine. Hwaiting!” you said.

“Hwaiting!” Zelo cheered.

Himchan approached the two of you. “Jaekyung-ah...” he gave you the same worried look. “It’s time.” He said.

You nodded and smiled at him to reassure that you’re fine.

“I have to go.” You said and went to the Fountain Area.