The Sister

Without a Trace

 

The next day was a nerve-wrecker, for both sides. Saejin set off the day to be excited to pick up her sister from the airport. L.joe, had something else in mind.
 
"Hey, Saejin!" He greeted from his seat with Ricky and CAP next to him. It would be today, he decided yesterday.
 
Saejin basically skipped to her seat, leaving the boys confused to why she was so cheerful in the morning. "Hey guys! What happened after we left on Saturday? You didn't get in trouble, right?"
 
"What? You think our parents would find out about it?" Ricky laughed. "Of course not! We're so good at keeping secrets and sneaking around, that it's-"
 
"We're boys, what do you expect?" CAP forced a smile while clamping his hand over Ricky's mouth firmly. 
 
L.joe turned to Saejin quickly. "So as I was saying-"
 
"Saejin-sshi!" Ms. Song called from across the room. "Can you come here for a second?"
 
Saejin sent an apologetic smile to L.joe. "I'll be right back."
 
With a heavy sigh, he nodded. "Hurry up then."
 
"Wow hyung. With these events so early in the morning, I don't know if you're even gonna be able to talk to her during lunch!" Ricky said after a while.
 
L.joe hit Ricky on the side of the head. "Don't jinx me, idiot!"
 
Ricky held up his hands in defense when Saejin came back. "Sorry, Byunghun. What were you saying again?"
 
"Just that-" he was interrupted by the bell ringing for the beginning of class. He was ready to flip desks by now. "I'll tell you at lunch."
 
"About that too.." She trailed off softly mumbling. "I was asked to help Ms. Song with some filing work during lunch. H-how's about after school? I can't talk for very long, but you can tell me then, huh?" She offered with raised eyebrows.
 
L.joe forced a smile. "Yeah, yeah, sure." He nodded, all the while kicking Ricky in the leg for jinxing him.
 
Ricky almost yelped. "WHAT THE-"
 
"ONE MORE WORD, CHANGHYUN, ONE MORE." Ms. Song pointed at him.
 
Ricky groaned and his head fell against the desk. "What the hell does that witch have against me?!"
 
 

"Oh, by the way, I can get your dress back to you tomorrow, is that okay?" Saejin put her stuff away. It was history class and the girls got done with their worksheets early again.
 
Johye nodded. "Take your time." Putting her book away, she paused. "By the way, what are you doing after school today? There's this new cafe that opened and I wanted to try it."
 
"Sorry, Johye, I can't today." Saejin apologized. "I'm picking my sister up from the airport. She's coming in from college overseas."
 
"It's all right. It's not going anywhere." Johye shrugged. "So, what's your sister's name?"
 
"Hyejin." She proudly answered. "She's three years older than us. She wants to become a school teacher here. Well, an English teacher. So she's brushing up on her English in the states and studying there."
 
"Wow, that's amazing! Your sister is so lucky." Johye said in awe.
 
Saejin blinked. Didn't she have the money to go overseas? "What do you mean?"
 
Johye sighed. "I want to be a schoolteacher too. Except for elementary school kids."
 
"Why can't you?"
 
"Since I'm an only child, I'm expected to take over the family business one day." She answered. "I mean, it's not as bad as it sounds. They get to travel, which I like." She stopped. "Anyway, I heard from Changhyun that you're not coming to lunch today."
 
Saejin shook her head. "Nope. I gotta help my teacher file some paperwork.
 
"Sounds fun."
 
"I know, right? It's gonna be so exciting." Saejin said sarcastically.
 

L.joe stood outside the school gates, tapping his foot impatiently and checking his watch, glancing at the doors now and then.

 
"Byunghun!" Saejin called, running over to him. "There's something you wanted to tell me?"
 
He coughed in his hands and rubbed the back of his neck. "Yeah. There is." He looked around. "I was wondering if you were free today? Like, maybe we could do something."
 
"Sorry, I'm going to have to take a rain check." She apologized for the umpteenth time today. But it felt stranger than telling Johye. "I have to pick up my sister from the airport today. I'll go with you sometime later though! I promise!"
 
L.joe's heart sank, but he smiled anyway. "It's fine. As long as we can do something later."
 
"Yeah." Saejin looked away and bit her lip. "Then I'll see you-"
 
She was cut off, and the next thing she knew, was that a bicycle went past her, blowing her hair in her face.
 
And that L.joe was hugging her.
 
Her face got red instantly and her heart was pounding when he gripped her shoulders and looked her in the eyes. "You okay?"
 
"Y-ye-yes." She stammered out, gulping. Why was she acting like this? She couldn't even look him in the face. "Then, I'll see you tomorrow. And.. Thanks." She bowed her head and ran off to the bus stop.
 
L.joe watched her leave and pouted. But wait.
 
Did he see her face red?
 
Did he do that?
 
"Stay positive, Byunghun." He encouraged himself, then called Jongjun to pick him up.
 

Saejin sat in the airport cafe. She might as well get a drink if she was going to wait. People passed her by left and right, but she didn't pay them any attention.
 
When the boys back in Busan tried to pick her up, she was never really moved. She appreciated their affections, but she was never really affected herself.
 
So what was the difference now?
 
Pursing her lips, she got up to throw the empty cup away, when someone hugged her from behind.
 
"Saejin!"
 
Her eyes widened and she turned around, eyes bright. "Hye-Hyejin unnie?! That was quick! You usually take forever to get your bags!"
 
"Yah!" Hyejin set her jaw. "I just always have the bad luck of always getting my bags last! It's not my fault!"
 
"Sure, sure." Saejin nodded.
 
Song Hyejin definitely looked like Saejin. But she was taller. She always wore her brown hair down, looking like she had it done. Her face was never blemished, even when she was in junior high. Plus, she was always dressed for the occasion. Today, she was wearing a hoodie and sneakers.
 
Looking like this, of course Saejin got jealous, but she never thought anything of it, because she was her sister and she'd never wrong her. Instead, Hyejin would always try to dress her up, but Saejin never wanted to.
 
Hyejin inherited more from their mom, being more feminine. Saejin on the other hand, took more from their dad, being more self-reliable.
"Saejin," Hyejin grabbed her wrist. "Let's hurry up and get home. Ooh, I have so many things planned for tonight! Let's stay up and watch dramas like we used to, okay?"
 
"You talk as if we haven't seen each other for decades! It's only been since New Years, you weirdo." 
 
Hyejin hugged her Saejin again. "I can't help it that I miss my sister! We can talk all night and catch up! I bet you still have boys chasing after you, right? What about your grades? We have to keep them up for mom and dad, okay?"
 
"Fine, fine! I missed you too, but I can't breathe!" Saejin huffed out.
 
"Oh, my bad." Hyejin let her go and crossed her arms. "Either you got your license or we're taking the bus, am I right?"
 
"Wow, you're smart." Saejin nodded. "The bus it is. We need to stop by the grocery store too. We can't have a drama marathon without food!"
 
Hyejin messed up Saejin's hair. "I taught you well." She looked around the airport and grabbed her bags. "Well, lead the way! Let's get there before mom and dad ask where we've been."
 
"Good idea. Dad would probably go into hysterics if we're late." Saejin agreed.
 
They walked out the airport doors, with Hyejin going through the lists of what she wanted to get.