Another Close Call

Without a Trace

 

At the end of the day, none of the boys became the winner, instead, an elementary kid ended up winning, which everyone could live with, even Ricky.
 
Everyone had respectfully gone home after the long day, to take naps. Because it was another heist night. Well, Teen Top didn't exactly finish their job last time, so they were risking a lot by going back, but it was worth it.
 
That's how they all ended up in L.Joe's car in the middle of the night with masks and everything prepared beforehand. Now all they had to do was wait for the last employee to leave.
 
"Dang workaholics." Ricky muttered. "Don't they want to sleep or anything? Eating is good too. I like eating."
 
"Who doesn't, you fool?" Niel eyed him.
 
"We need to keep an eye out for the guards." Chunji watched through the window. "My dad said he got an upgrade."
 
From the other side of the car, a crack could be heard. "Bring it on. I'm ready for a challenge." CAP was cracking his neck and back. "Come at me!"
 
"Hyung, did you have too much candy again?" Changjo sighed and shook his head. "I knew we shouldn't have let him loose during the tag game."
 
L.joe on the other hand, couldn't get his head on straight for some reason. No matter how hard he tried, he just couldn't focus on anything, which was really bugging him.
 
Chunji noticed too and nudged him. "Yah, you okay? You keep zoning out."
 
"Huh?" He was caught out of his trace. "I'm fine. Just tired."
 
Chunji stretched and patted the other's shoulder. "You know, if you want to talk about her, the floor is yours. I can almost guarantee you will have everyone's attention with the exception of Minsoo hyung."
 
"I... Don't know what you're talking about." L.joe hung his head.
 
"Yeah, yeah, keep playing stupid. We both know anyway." Chunji clicked his tongue. "Just know that I'll be here for you, if you wanna talk."
 
L.joe pushed him away. "You sound so cheesy right now, it's really creeping me out."
 
Chunji shrugged and looked out the car window, pointing and alerting the others. "He's leaving. Get ready."
 
-----------------
 
"Saejin, last time was a special occasion, okay? Tonight you really can't come!" Mr. Song whined, keeping his tone down.
 
They were once alerted, and Saejin, also thinking weirdly, was still up. If she had this chance, she could redeem herself and catch the sneaky bastard. "Dad, I can handle myself! You know that!"
 
"You said that last time, though!"
 
"It's still true!"
 
"Aish!" Mr. Song opened the door. "Shut up and come on. If my boss found out about this, I would be so dead, you know that? It would be your fault!"
 
Saejin nodded. "I'll take responsibility! Now let's go before they escape again." She took her leave to the car while her dad locked up the house and drove to the building.
 
"Damn! We didn't even do anything this time!" Niel peered through the blinds. "And still no sight of that flash drive!"
 
"It's gotta be somewhere!" Chunji searched frantically.
 
"We don't have time." CAP walked in, the rest on his tail. "We gotta move, the police are on their way in right now."
 
Changjo's eyes widened at a plan. "I know! Lets just sacrifice Ricky hyung again! It worked earlier today."
 
"Yah." Ricky pointed a finger at the others. "Don't get any ideas."
 
"Shut up and carry this." Chunji threw a bag at him, catching it with a 'Hmph' from the weight.
 
They went through the emergency exit, having to knock out a few guards and policemen coming their way. But nothing too fatal, at least, for their standards.
 
They exited a few minutes later, frantically looking for Jongjun to come pick them up.
 
L.joe glanced over at the entrance filled with guards and policemen, trying to find a way out.
 
"Are you kidding me?" He mumbled to himself. How the hell did Saejin get in the back of the police car? Was she caught doing something bad? Past curfew? She did that last time too.
 
"Yah! L.joe! Where are you going?" Chunji yelled in a whispered tone, catching sight of his cousin running right to the guards. He stopped anyone else from going after him though. "We need to look for Jongjun hyung and then get that idiot." The others reluctantly nodded.
 
"Aish, why did I promise again?" Saejin mentally smacked herself in the head. 'Even if I see them coming out, I won't run after them.' What bull. But she had her phone ready to call her dad if anything was out of the ordinary. She was lounging in the backseat since she was tired and wiped out from the earlier events.
 
The door clicked open, making Saejin jump to the other side of the car. "What in the-"
 
"Shh." L.joe put a finger over his mask where his mouth was. He motioned with his head to get out of the car and follow him.
 
"Why would I do that?" Saejin scowled, trying to make sense. Was he trying to get rid of evidence or something? WAS HE GOING TO KILL HER?! "Oh, no. No, no, no."
 
L.joe sighed. When was she going to get the message that he was trying to help her escape? If anything, she had been caught wrongly. The Saejin he knew wouldn't commit any sort of crime bad enough to get caught.
 
"I'll scream." She threatened, pointing at him. By now, she was pushed against the back door.
 
He facepalmed himself and got an idea, not a good one, but it was enough. He grabbed her phone from her hand and made a stealthy run for it.
 
"Come back here!" She hissed and followed him down the street. Technically, she wasn't keeping her promise, but the guy was trying to steal something! Theft! "Give back my phone!"
 
Playfully, L.joe held it up with a bright screen, making her go crazy and motivating her to catch up with him.
 
When they reached a nearby park and Saejin was in reaching distance, she jumped and knocked them both down.
 
"Give that back, you punk!" She crawled over him to get her phone from his outstretched arm.
 
L.joe on the other hand, was trying hard not to burst out laughing at her ridiculousness. He rolled over and got up until Saejin grabbed his ankle, pulling him down again with a thud.
 
Saejin sat on the ground propping herself up by her arms. "If you don't give it back in ten seconds..."
 
L.joe stared at her, listening intently, and was thankful that he had a mask on because he was grinning like a fool. This sort of situation should be scary, but to him, it was downright hilarious.
 
"I'll... I'll..." She tried to come up with something, but she couldn't think if anything threatening to a criminal she didn't know.
 
While they were huffing and puffing from their wrestling match over the cell phone, a car honked in the distance, and L.joe recognized it as his ride home.
 
"Yah, yah, yah.." Saejin noted his look to the car and got up, trying to grab his arm or something, but he ran away. Once he was in the car, he rolled down the window and saluted her right before he drove off.
 
He felt good with himself because he saved Saejin from going to jail for the time being. If she was caught the next day, he figured he would pay for her bail anonymously. But it wasn't fair to be caught at night just because you want to take a walk.
 
He would have to talk with her about that. Walking alone in the dead of night was not a very good idea. Even though she knew how to fight and defend herself, she was still a high school girl.
 
Plus she shouldn't have run after him. He could've been a high class dangerous criminal who could have kept her hostage. They should have a talk about that too.
 
Just make it one big talk on how to keep her safe.
 
"How the hell did you get al, the way out here?" Chunji eyed him sweating while he took of his mask.
 
"Did someone catch you? Was that why you were fighting with someone at the park?" Ricky leaned towards him.
 
CAP shook his head. "Not smart."
 
"I got out, didn't I?" L.joe smirked. "It's fine. They didn't recognize me." If she did, he would know. He put his mask in his pocket and felt something else. "Oh crap."
 
--------------
 
Saejin made a run for the car before her dad came back. Thankfully, he hadn't, and she had a chance to calm down.
 
She had to stop doing that. She could've caught him again.
 
But wait! She knew what his getaway car looked like!
 
She reached for her phone in her jean pockets, and her jacket pockets. When it wasn't there, she looked on the ground.
 
"That stole my phone!"