Meeting up.

Unrequited Love

" Wait. What? Oppa! Yah!" Ah-ra screamed into the phone but it was useless, Jinyoung had hung up before she did.

She pouted and looked around the dark neighbourhood. There were no cabs coming in or going out, all she could do was pray for a miracle so that she could return home safely. 

" Acting like a crybaby just beca-" she was about to curse Jinyoung when she heard voices.

" Good work everyone! Make sure to work hard for your evaluation tests!"

Ah-ra turned around to see a group of boys walking down the steps of what seemed like an apartment but in reality it wasn't. It was more of an office type of house, where the ground level and second level were rented out for business purposes. She scratched her head and wondered why Jinyoung had made her come here and left her here maybe it was just a random decision made by him? She tilted her head to the side and bit her lips, she just couldn't understand why. Without even cracking her brain further, she decided to leave the place as soon as possible.

" Uh, excuse me. How do I get to the main road?" she awkwardly voiced out and blinked repeatedly from nervousness.

" See that road there? Just walk straight, turn left. You'll see a shop. Then turn your right and you'll see the subway. Do you need me to show you the way?" the man politely asked.

Ah-ra shook her head and immediately bowed to him to thank him. Little did he know that she wasn't listening to him because she was so mesmerized by all of their faces, it was as if they had popped out of those magazines. They had perfect skin, beautiful facial features, tall but they definitely had deep eyebags. 

" A fan girl, I guess. She's holding a gift. Not that weird to see a young lady here at night."

" Fan girl?" she tilted her head to the side and waited for the boys to get out of her sight.

After closing the lights and locking the practice room, Sandeul secured his face mask and wore black shades. It was a tiring day for him, all he wanted to do was to jump into bed and get a good night sleep. He cautiously looked over the staircase to see if there were any scary school girls waiting for him, lucky for him they weren't any that night. He tightened the strap around his bag and comfortably placed his headphones around his neck.

" Hey! Excuse me!"

" Aish... just when I thought that they were gone." he thought to himself and gritted his teeth.

Sandeul turned around and rolled his eyes under the shades, he was about to give the young girl a stern warning when he realized that it was... Ah-ra. He took three steps forwards and blinked his eyes repeatedly, she looked so different. She no longer had her long luscious hair instead it was chopped off to a short, fresh-looking hairstyle.

" Can you show me the way out?"

She even donned glasses, which made her look like a precocious high school girl. He immediately changed his attention to the gift that she was holding. Had she come all the way here to see him? How did she manage to find him? 

" Hello...excuse me? Are you listening?" she waved at him repeatedly but there was no response.

At first sight, Ah-ra suspected that he was blind because he was wearing shades at night. No one in his right mind would wear shades in the middle of the night, the only thing that was glaring was the street lamps. He walked closer to her and with each step that he took, her heart skipped a beat, not because she was happy but she was reminded of the news last night about a suspicious looking man with black shades and a face mask walking around dark alleys targeting girls. 

" Is that for me?" Sandeul pointed out to the box that she was holding.

" T-this? Uh...no..." she hid the box behind her back and sheepishly grinned.

" Then, what are you doing here? It's dark and dangerous. A young lady like you shouldn't be here." he began to nag but didn't realize that Ah-ra has yet to recognize him.

" Ha...stay cool. Chill." she thought to herself and nodded at everything that the person said.

She hadn't realize that it was Sandeul because his voice was muffled by his face mask, his eyes were covered by his shades and he had a fit body. 

" Look at you! Wearing such thin clothings... a floppy slipper and... you...you look so drained."

Ah-ra was already zoning out and didn't really catch on what he was saying. Sandeul became breathless and wondered why Ah-ra wasn't responding to his words, he became anxious and since it was the first time seeing her after so many months, all he wanted to do was just give her a hug and ask for forgiveness. He swallowed back his guilt and approached her.

" I have to go now. Thank you but I think I'll be able to find the way." she turned around and decided to walk off.

Sandeul sighed and in a moment of frustration, he removed his shades and mask. He ran up to her, wrapped his arms around her neck and buried his face into her shoulders. The both of them remained silent and all they could hear was the beating of their own hearts. Ah-ra took in several deep breaths and now knew the exact reason to why Jinyoung had made her come all the way here; it was to see Sandeul. She could recognize him just by his voice that was now not obstructed by the mask.

" Don't leave. Didn't you come all the way here to see me?" he muttered those words softly, not wanting her to leave him.

Ah-ra gleefully grinned to herself and looked down to see his hands around her. The milky white skin really belonged to Sandeul, the fact that he had lost a lot of weight amazed her. The grip around her tightened, she knew that this was a sign that Sandeul was feeling insecured and she could feel him tremble. Their memories together were still so clear to her, how they laughed and cried together. Even if Sandeul told her right now that they were all lies, it was still beautiful and perfect. 

" I'm sorry. I know it's useless to apologize. I lied. I...I did horrible things to you. I lost my mind in that moment of anger..." he turned her around and began to explain himself.

She changed her attention to the box that Jinyoung had given her, she slowly passed it over to Sandeul and gestured to him to open it up. He confusingly looked at her and pried the box open, the both of them still remained silent. Ah-ra tried to peek to take a look, but since Sandeul was tall, all she could do was to observe his facial expressions.

As soon as he opened up the box, he was greeted with a framed picture. Jinyoung had taken a lot of effort to get that rare picture and thankfully since his father was an avid photographer, during one of the visits to the Lee's family, they had managed to snap a picture of Ah-ra and Sandeul together holding hands. They looked as if they were forced to hold hands and the both of them had a slightly displeased look on their faces. 

" When was this?" he picked the picture up and showed it to Ah-ra.

Her eyes widened and she snatched it away from him. It was definitely her in the picture and the boy really resembled Sandeul a lot. She didn't remember meeting him while they were younger and even if she knew him as Junghwan then, she really couldn't remember any memories of meeting him. 

" Four? Where did Jinyoung oppa get this? He-"

" Daebak. Hyung is really the best at these types of things. Ah-ra, I honestly don't remember meeting you. I swear!" Sandeul became defensive all of a sudden, as if he was guilty.

Ah-ra curled her lips up and gave him a slightly suspicious look. 

" I'm telling you. Ha...let's get out of here first. Before someone sees us." with the box in his hands, he wrapped his arms around her shoulder and walked towards his parked motorcycle.

Sandeul handed her the pink helmet and safe kept his things. While he was busy keeping his things, Ah-ra eyed his whole body, he had a clean and kempt look. He was built and suprisingly the leather jacket that he was wearing accentuated his muscles. It was the first time seeing a cool side to Sandeul, all these while he had always had that cute image. 

" Sandeul-ah...you've been working out?" she voiced out and proceeded to press his arms.

" What a question." he rolled his eyes and buckled the helmet for her.

" Answer me. Shinwoo oppa said that you could get those type of muscles by injecting steroids..." she added on and stared into his eyes to find the answer.

" You're still such a kid. I bought these muscles at a cheap price. Is that alright with you? Ha...let's go. I should send you home." he lifted his legs up and easily clambered up onto his motorcycle.

He cooly reached out for his helmet and placed it over his head. He patted at the seat behind him to gesture to Ah-ra to sit down. 

" Aren't you getting on? It's late. Stop acting like a child. Why? Have you fallen for me again now that you've seen my perfectly sculptured face and awesome muscles?" he sarcastically commented.

Ah-ra shook her head and carefully sat down. Sandeul forcefully made her wrap her arms around his waist and cleared his throat, he did so because Ah-ra was becoming too comfortable, her head was on his back and he was afraid that she was going to hear his heart beat. However, he didn't had the heart to say no, and as soon as he was about to start the engine, he was interrupted.

" Sandeul-ah, let's not go home today." Ah-ra voiced out and leaned her head closer to his back.

" You've lost your mind...haven't you? Home is where we're heading." he answered her with a serious tone.

" Then stay with us. After all, you're...Junghwan. If Dal-rae is my sister-" 

" I'm a Lee. You're a Shin. We're different. It makes no sense for me to live with you. Stop talking. We can debate some other time." he cut her off and started the engine.

Ah-ra hugged him and sniffed.

" I'm left with only 30 days..."

Sandeul sighed and nodded his head, even he felt like crying now that he was reminded that she was leaving soon. Since she was his first love, he was going to bring the girl that he loved to a place that he hated to the core. A place with bad memories, experience, everything; Haeundae.

Two hours later...

" Yah, wake up." Sandeul shook his shoulders to stir her up from her nap.

Ah-ra rubbed her eyes and unbuckled the helmet. Without even thinking, she staggered forward and fell into the sand. Sandeul bit his cheeks and tried not to laugh, it wasn't a good thing to laugh at someone's misfortune. So after making sure that she wasn't hurt, he pulled her up and puffed his cheeks to restrain himself for bursting out into laughters. Ah-ra rolled her eyes and pulled her sleeves to wipe the sand on her hands.

" You said we were going home." she complained and removed her flip flops to walk on the sand.

" This is home. Busan." he grinned and walked ahead of her.

He widened his arms and twirled around in happiness. Ah-ra watched him from afar and shook her head while smiling, he was such an innocent and sweet person. In fact, if fate hadn't been so cruel to the both of them and if they had met in different circumstances, Ah-ra couldn't help but think that this could be the person that she would have ended up with and not Jinyoung. Because, Sandeul was the best thing that had ever happened to her, he was angel to her. If she had known Sandeul first, then things would probably be different and he wouldn't have to be the unhappy one.

" Yah! What are you doing over there? Come over here!" he waved excitedly and called her over.

" O-Oh? Ok." she ran over to him and pulled her jacket closer to herself. It was cold with the waves and wind.

Sandeul pulled Ah-ra down to sit with him but she hesitated because she was going to get the sand on her jeans. He tugged on her hand and persuaded her to sit down, she nodded and obediently sat next to him. Like a gentleman, he removed his jacket for her and slung it over her shoulder to give her some extra warmth, he didn't really need it because he had always been 'thick-skinned', he didn't like to call himself fat.

" I hate this place." he expressed himself and cupped his chin while admiring the rough waves.

" You hate this place? You look so happy. Bipolar." Ah-ra commented in her head and turned to look at him.

" I'm not bipolar." Sandeul retaliated, he knew exactly what she was thinking about. 

Ah-ra awkwardly laughed, she got caught.

" Why do you hate this place?" she asked and intently stared at him.

Sandeul pursed his lips and stared into her eyes. " You really want to know?"

She nodded and fixated her gaze with his, he clasped his hands together and pursed his lips. It was the first time revealing his secrets to anyone, since Ah-ra was a trustworthy person and someone important to him, he decided to pour his heart out to her.

" Omma used to bring me and noona here. Once, I wandered too far from my family and the next thing I knew, I almost drowned." he storied.

" ...I promised to never return here ever again. Then, after the death of my mom. She had me scatter her ashes here. Of course, that was forbidden but I did it secretly. It was her wish. Hence, I hate this place because it only holds bad memories." he explained and turned to look at Ah-ra who had a sympathetic look on her face.

" Then why did you come here? We can go somewhere else. I don't want you to be sad." she questioned him and sighed.

" Because if I make good memories with you, I won't have to remind myself of the bad memories. Then I'll have a good memory about this place." he flashed a wide smile, as if satisfied with his answer.

Sandeul leaned closer towards her and touched her chin. Ah-ra uncomfortably cleared and tried to remove himself from her. 

" Sandeul-ah... you're too close." she commented.

Ah-ra kept her eyes shut and covered her lips with her hands, she wasn't sure about what he was going to do.