Lies and Deceit- Part 2.

Unrequited Love

 

*8.30pm*

Ah-ra drives the car into the dark and narrow alley. Carefully, she reverses the car into a position where she could park temporarily. It was a good two hours drive to Sandeul's home. Her feet’s were already aching.

" Hopefully...Sandeul is at home. I still have this present to pass to him. Plus, I can use this opportunity to get to know his distant relatives." Ah-ra delightfully comments and exits the car.

She was sure that Sandeul was at home since Baro mentioned about his family visiting him from Busan. With light footsteps, she climbs the stairs to his house. It was on the fourth floor and since it was a rooftop house, it was unexceptionally windy.

She carefully walks towards the house and realizes that something was amiss. The lights were all out and there were no signs of life in the house. Ah-ra tilts her head to her side and bit her lower lip.

“ Maybe they went out for dinner or something? Ah… What a wasted trip… Should I leave the present here?” Ah-ra looks around as she searches for a decent and obvious place for her to put her the gift.

With a slightly disappointed heart, she places the small box on Sandeul’s porch. She had really wanted to see him even if it was only for a few seconds; no maybe she was even willing to see only just his shadow. To put it simply, she missed him.

“ You’re the first person to make me feel this way. Lee Sandeul, count yourself lucky that I’m not getting upset with you.” Ah-ra indignantly mumbles to herself and made her way back to her parked car.

She covers her face with her dark coat as the wind was blowing in her direction. She scurries to her parked car and hurries to unlock her car.

     * Beep *

Ah-ra quietly enters the car and starts the engine. With a heavy heart, she places her hand onto the steering wheels. She didn’t feel right.

“ I’m thinking too much. Why would Baro lie to me? Haiz…I probably shouldn’t jump to conclusions lest I end up like Dal-rae. Always being paranoid and insecure. Let’s just head home and get a good night rest.” Ah-ra shakes her head as she tries not to think too much.

While Ah-ra was about to step on the paddle to start driving, something from the driver’s side window caught her eyes. Two eerily familiar people were strolling together side by side. She knew she had seen the girl somewhere. The silhouette of the girl was too uncannily similar to Dal-rae’s.

Ah-ra shakes her head and decides to take another good look. This time she squints her eyes and concentrates hard on the girl. Long wavy hair, fine looking and the dress was exactly like the one Dal-rae wore when she went out of the house earlier in the day.

“ Onni? I’m not seeing things am I? ” Ah-ra slaps herself and tries to compose herself.

Dal-rae and Sandeul were too engrossed in their conversation that they failed to spot Ah-ra in the car.  As the duo passed by the car, Ah-ra stretches out her neck to really see it for herself.

They were grinning from ear to ear and also were linking arms. As the harsh wind blew against Dal-rae’s fluffy hair, Sandeul didn’t waste any time to fix her hair and after he did that, he gave her a wide smile.

Ah-ra slummed into her seat and blankly stared at the dark road ahead of her.

“ You were with her all these while? Your so called distant relatives?” Ah-ra laughs to herself in disbelief and didn’t waste any time to drive away from the scene.

* Ah-ra drives away from the scene *

“ Noona. You should go now. I’m sorry for today, I hope you’re feeling better after today’s outing.” Sandeul beamed and gave Dal-rae a hug.

“ Alright. Take care. See you soon. I’m sorry for disrupting your date with Ah-ra today. I didn’t know.” Dal-rae attempts to make it look like she was innocent.

Sandeul sends his sister off with a huge wave. As soon as he sees Dal-rae walking off, he runs up the steps to his house. He brazenly takes his shoes off and enters the house. Unfortunately, he didn’t see the gift box and accidentally steps on it. Sandeul grabs his legs as he tried very hard to not curse.

“ Which idiot left this on the porch?” Sandeul yells as he picks the small packaging up. He didn’t realize that it was from Ah-ra until he saw the sticky note on it.

The gift box was now slightly dented.  Without even thinking twice, he unwraps the gift to reveal what was inside.

“ It’s a watch…wow.” Sandeul admires the expensive watch as he dangles it in mid-air.

“ Wait! If this gift is here…Ah-ra came?” Sandeul panics as he finally realizes the situation.

What was he going to say to her? Especially since he wasn’t at home. He fishes out his phone and proceeds to dial her number.  Sandeul walks up and down the porch waiting for her to pick up. She wasn’t picking up.

“ I guess she’s still not home yet…” Sandeul frowns and started to get a little bit fidgety.

Sandeul didn’t know why he was nervous and tries to shrug it off by wearing the watch. Without looking back, he closes the door and heads into the comfort of his home.

---------------------------------------------------------

* 9pm *

" Ahjumma! Give me one serving of spicy rice cakes and one bottle of soju..." Ah-ra pinches her the bridge of her nose as she tries to calm herself down.

“ Oh? You’re not here with Sandeul?” the stallholder recognizes Ah-ra as the girl that Sandeul had brought over the other time. Since he was a regular customer, the lady gave Ah-ra extra side dishes.

The lady politely places the food and drinks on the table of her clearly distressed customer. The lady tilts her head to the side and gave a soft sigh.

“ Since she’s drinking, something must have had happened…” the lady whispers to herself and rushes back to her counter.

Ah-ra gradually moves her hands to pour herself a drink. She awkwardly tilts the bottle and alcohol starts to gush into her cup.  It was her first time trying to drink, for some reason she wanted to have a taste. At a snail’s pace she shifts the cup closer to her lips. The strong smell of alcohol overwhelms her. Finally, she summons the courage to drink from the cup.

“ It burns!” Ah-ra grabs her neck and shoves down some soup down .

She pathetically examines her surroundings and realizes that she was the only one in the makeshift stall. Being alone made her feel even more troubled.

“ Ahjumma…do you have a cellphone that I can use? I need to make a call…” Ah-ra stares at the lady as she made the request.

“ Ah…here.”

Ah-ra rubs her eyes and absentmindedly dials a number. She wasn’t thinking straight after consuming alcohol.

“ Yah… come here. I’m feeling happy. Haha. Where I’m? I’m at the usual eating place where we would always go after school…why are you acting like you’re clueless…drunk? Me? Drunk? No I’m not…you stupid puppy... I'm really not drunk." as Ah-ra hangs up; she reaches for the bottle to pour herself another drink.

With every sip that she took, it was like a sedative effect. She was less sensitive to her feelings and she felt bubblier than ever.

20 minutes later...

" Yah! You're drinking? Are you crazy? A young lady like you shouldn't be drinking like this... fortunately you called me over..." Gongchan heaves a sigh of relief as he finally found his best friend after she hung up on him.

“ Something must have occurred. That bodyguard of hers is nowhere to be seen. Shouldn’t Sandeul be with her since he is her boyfriend?” Gongchan assumed that Ah-ra had drove on her own.

Ah-ra flinches on the table and raises her head up. Her face was as red as a peach. A clear sign that she was intoxicated. She sluggishly reaches out for the bottle of soju but Gongchan instantly grabs the bottle away from her.

“ Yah…what’s wrong? Are you all right? Why are you alone?” Gongchan questions her as he pitifully watches her struggle.

“ Chanshik? Oh? What are you doing here? Haha… Can’t you see? I’m drinking. I think my brother is going to kill me if he finds out…so keep this a secret.” Ah-ra places a finger on her lips and cups her face.

Gongchan sighs and decides to entertain her for a little while. He was curious to know what was making her act this way.

“ Chanshik sshi…” Ah-ra calls out for Gongchan.

“ Gongchan…Ah-ra, it’s Gongchan. You don’t have to be so formal.” He tries to slap her back into her senses.

“ Gongchan-ah… I’m feeling extremely contented today. I had a great date and in conclusion my day was wonderful…How about yours?” she laughs and at the same time hiccups.

“ A date with Sandeul? You’re feeling happy?” Gongchan scratches his head and again questions her.

“ No…not a date with Sandeul…with Cha Baro. CHA BARO. I went on a date with Cha Baro! Cha Sunwoo! Sunwoo…not Sandeul but Sunwoo.” Ah-ra hysterically slams the table and cries like a child.

Gongchan hides his face with his hands and tries to get her to stop crying.

“ Eh~ Look at that guy…bullying his girlfriend. Young man! You should treat her better!” a passerby that was passing by the stall to buy some food comments on Gongchan’s behavior.

“ She’s not my girlfriend! You’re mistaken! I’m not bullying her!” Gongchan tries to justify himself, but it was too late. The man was already gone with his food.

Gongchan furiously turns to the front to look at Ah-ra. She was sobbing like a crazy person, everyone was gawking at him. In a moment of desperation, he kicks Ah-ra's chair and starts to laugh. His laughter wasn't really laughter.

" I have no choice. I'm going to call hyung to come over." Gongchan whips out his phone and dials for Jinyoung's number.

Gongchan: Hyung!

Jinyoung: Oh? What's up with you calling me this late? Oh? Who's crying in the background? Your little sister?

Gongchan: Hyung...save me. It's Shin Ah-ra that's crying and wailing here. She's drunk!

Jinyoung: What?! Where are you?

Gongchan: The makeshift food stall near the school. 

Jinyoung: All right. Give me 25 minutes. I'll take a cab there. Stay with her.

 

Gongchan hangs up and proceeds to the seat next to Ah-ra. With his jacket, he covers her face and gently places her head on his chest. At least that was going to muffle her cries.

“ Araso…don’t cry anymore. Shh…hush hush…go to sleep. Till Jinyoung hyung comes, don’t wake up.” Gongchan gently taps her on the shoulders.

The stallholder lady finally gave him a sign of approval by his actions. He awkwardly flashes a smile and gestures to the lady that Ah-ra wasn’t his girlfriend.

“ She’s not my girlfriend.” Gongchan hand signs to the lady.

“ Liar.” The lady grins and mouths those words back to him.

Gongchan bit his lips and for a moment he felt like slapping Ah-ra.

“ Because of you, I have to face these humiliations… Jinyoungie hyung! When are you going to arrive?” Gongchan screams in his head and he tilts his head down wards to look at Ah-ra whose face was wrapped up with his jacket.

“ Why do you have to make my life so miserable… I’ve given you everything. Onni… I’m tired of you acting this way, it hurts me so much…” Ah-ra painfully cries into the jacket that was on her face.

Gongchan’s ear perks up as soon as he hears Ah-ra talking to herself.

“ I like Sandeul a lot. I can’t give him to you…wasn’t the necklace enough. Isn’t Jinyoung oppa enough? Isn’t acting like I can’t remember enough for you… I’ve never blamed you for anything. I even took up this identity of…” Ah-ra pauses and softly chuckles.

“ Took up what identity? You didn’t lose your memory?” Gongchan removes the jacket from her face and grabs her shoulders to shake her back to her senses.

“ I remembered every single detail. Why I got into the accident…everything. It was my fault. I was hysterical. It was because of the stupid diary! It was because of Jinyoung oppa… I liked him too much that’s why. Having to act like I’m clueless about everything is tiring… The toy phone that my brother made for me, I didn’t forget that. Jinyoung oppa giving me a diary, I didn’t forget that. Jung ahjusshi…I’ve never ever forgotten him! How can I forget such a precious person?” Ah-ra sobs halfway and stops.

“ Ah-ra sshi…I’m so sorry…” Gongchan held her even closer to him.

“ I didn’t want to get her into trouble. My own mother made me shut my mouth. She told me to tell everyone including the doctors that I couldn’t remember anything. Even though the doctors were running around making me go for CT scans to find the problem, they just couldn’t find it! Why? Because I’ve never once lost my memories. My own mother… how could I not do it? It was to protect my own sister…” Ah-ra hits Gongchan on his chest as she wails.

Gongchan tries to calm her down.

" Tell me everything about it. Clear it up and you'll feel better after that." Gongchan rubs her back to soothe her.

Ah-ra clears and wipes her tears away.

" We were coming back home from school. I had kept my diary in my bag and took it out to admire it. Dal-rae saw it and snatched it away from me playfully. She-she read everything that I had written about Jinyoung oppa. I was so angry that I slapped her and bit her. Her first reaction was to push me away. The last thing I remembered was my brother calling out for me... a week later, I woke up with a bandage on my head. My mother covered my mouth and told me to keep quiet. She whispered to not say anything and told me to say that I couldn't remember anything. The police came in to take my statement. Since then, I've been forced to live a life with no memories. All these years, I've been growing up locking all of my memories in my heart. Some times, I can't even remember memories of my own childhood. They're too distant." Ah-ra finally speaks the truth to Gongchan.

Gongchan's heart sank as he heard the story from Ah-ra. How difficult it must have been for her to act like she never knew anything thanks to her own mother's selfishness.

" Shin Ah-ra... You...you liked Jinyoung hyung?" Gongchan's tries to not cry as he speaks.

" So what if I like Jinyoung oppa... He's no longer my childhood prince. Just like everybody else, he lied. He said he was going to find me when he returns to Korea. Instead, he got into a relationship with my own sister. Thinking that I was clueless about Jinyoung's identity, Dal-rae would always flaunt a portrait of her and him to me. That was how I find out a year ago. No matter how many times I convinced that Dal-rae's boyfriend was the person that I was looking for the whole time. Still, I gave in to her. The day Jinyoung oppa asked me to promise him to tell him about the 'truth'. My heart felt like it was going to burst. The day he gave me the scarf and fell sick, my heart felt like it was going to drop. All of those feelings disappeared after I fell for Lee Sandeul...Shinwoo oppa, will you forgive me?" Ah-ra hiccups and tightens the grip around Gongchan's waist. Since she was intoxicated, all she saw was her brother's face.

--------------------------------------------

Jinyoung painfully stares at Ah-ra and Gongchan from behind the makeshift stall. He had heard everything. 

" You fool... being brave is a problem. How could you fool us all these time... how did you suffer on your own?" Jinyoung turns around to wipe his tears away.

After taking several deep breaths, he finally makes the decision to enter the stall.

" Gongchan-ah! Ah-ra!" Jinyoung tries to hide the tinge of hurt in his voice at the sight he saw.

" Hyung! Here are her car keys. I think she drove here. She's really drunk... you should send her home." Gongchan uses his strength to support Ah-ra up. 

" Get her on my back. You should help me get to the car." Jinyoung bends down to piggyback Ah-ra.

Gongchan suspects that the black car belonged to Ah-ra since he had once seen her being chauffeured in the same car. He presses the button on the car keys, and miraculously the car unlocks it. Without delaying, Gongchan runs over to open the car door for Jinyoung.

Jinyoung carefully places Ah-ra in the passenger seat. 

" Gongchan-ah, I'll drive you home. Get in."

“ Hyung. You can drive? Are you sure it’s safe? It’s better to call a temporary driver. They have services for that.” Gongchan was a bit reluctant. There were rumors going around school that Jinyoung was really bad at directions.

“ Are you going to get on or not?” Jinyoung glares at him and shuts the car door close.

Gongchan immediately gets in the car.

One hour later….

“Hyung… we’re on the expressway!” Gongchan yells as he repeatedly kicks the driver seat.

“ I know I know… Don’t worry. Isn’t there anyway to get to that side of the road?” Jinyoung bit his lips and asks the clueless Gongchan a redundant question.

Gongchan hits his head on the passenger seat and cries in his heart.

“ Omma… you’re right. I should have stayed at home and be a good son.” Gongchan laments as he stares into space. He was having a mental breakdown.

Half an hour later…

“ Bye! Take care! Sorry! Hyung will get you something as a token of appreciation. Don’t get too upset.” Jinyoung waves to Gongchan who was already stomping off to his house.

Jinyoung couldn’t hide his smile at Gongchan’s adorable actions. He continued to drive all the way to the Shin’s household. He knew exactly where that place was.

One hour later…

“ Yah…Shin Ah-ra. Wake up. We’re here.” Jinyoung shakes Ah-ra who was soundly asleep.

She scuffles and as soon as she hears the familiar voice, she plops back up.

“ Jinyoung oppa?! Why are you here? What am I doing here?” Ah-ra slaps herself to check that she wasn’t dreaming

“ You were drunk. Gongchan had me pick you up. Don’t you remember? It was only two hours ago you know.” Jinyoung folds his arms as he speaks.

“ Well, I really reek of alcohol. I’m dead. Oppa is going to kill me.” Ah-ra carefully alights the car and rushes to the gate.

Jinyoung grabs hold of her arms. This time he wasn’t going to let her go.

“ Shin Ah-ra…”

Ah-ra waits for Jinyoung to finish his sentence. She was wondering why he was being all serious all of a sudden. What was he going to say?

 

 

(A/N: I guess it's finally time to reveal all the lies and secrets in this story. ^^. Mianhae. But Ah-ra has been acting the whole time. I was listening to B.A.P's rain sound while writing this. Like seriously, I can't help but get teary a bit. This proves to show that not everyone lose their memory in an accident. In Ah-ra's case, she was forced to act like she had forgotten everything thanks to her mother. Remember, Dal-rae is Mrs Shin daughter so of course, she wanted to protect Dal-rae and close the case of Ah-ra's accident as fast as possible. But sadly, Ah-ra is a victim of  her mother's actions.)