Finale

Unrequited Love

FINALE


They said people change from time to time. I agree. 

One year ago, I was just a fresh-faced boy with the name 'Sandeul'. I lost my mom, my only source of hope and happiness. I sought revenge on an innocent young girl, but I found a friend in her. I liked her, I loved her, I lost her. Today, she is happily married with the love of her life. 

I realized that in life, you lose the stars as you reach out for the beautiful pebbles beneath. Just like now, I'm raising my head up to admire the beautiful stars. Each and everyone of them were shining brightly. 

I took this moment to match each and every star but only one, stood out the most. It shone alone and there were no stars around it. It continues to shine but why do I have tears in my eyes today? It somehow resembled me so much right now.

I had everything in the world now. A successful career, loved by people of all ages, dearly wanted everywhere. I'm the man of every girl. Just like how that lonely star is surrounded by the hundreds of stars around it but... each and one of them are too distant for the lonely star to reach out to. Like me.

You could say that I've matured very much. Look at me, sitting here alone by the river and thoughtlessly summarising up about life.

 I can't help it. 2 hours ago, I was the best man at a wedding of my beloved friends. I left behind my feelings at the wedding. How pathetic of me. Expressing my feelings through a song. I'm a coward for doing so but at that moment, it was as if a stone was lifted of my shoulders.

I walked away pathetically saying that I had a schedule.

It was more like an excuse of saying that I needed some time off. I informed my manager that I needed a break after the wedding because I knew that I was going to think about life a lot. Thank goodness. I made the right decision to have some time to think and relax.

I looked over at my watch and I still had another two more hours to go. Honestly, I needed someone right now. Someone that could make me smile and laugh, just like how I bring happiness to people on variety shows. 

I can't help but pout at the fact that I'm such a loner. Baro was still busy running around at the wedding. 

I raised my head up and deeply stared into the dark blue sky... did I really owe someone in my past life? Why is it that I'm the only one miserable here? Even when I said that I had no regrets or whatsoever, this unwanted feelings keeps coming back to me. 

I'm always contradicting myself. First saying that I moved on and the next second, I'll be pulling out the ring from the past and keeping it close to my chest. As if saying that I needed her right now. If there was no Baro, Ah-ra was the second person I could depend on. 

Yes, Shin Ah-ra. That name-

" Sandeul? "

I could hear someone call my name from a distance. Or maybe I was just hearing things. I didn't respond to that voice. 

" Sandeul-ah..."

This time, I felt a hand over my shoulder. My manager has really done it. Why did he have to trouble her to come all the way here to see me like this? Is this what he call a break schedule? No wonder he kept reminding me about coming to the river immediately after the wedding.

" Oh... Noona." 

I tried not to make eye contact with Dal-rae. It's not that I hate her but... I didn't want to worry her. 

" It's really difficult to get to see you these days. How are you? "

I agreed on the first statement that she made but " How are you? ". That question... it was difficult to answer.

" Good. I guess."

I forced a smile and let out a slight laughter. It was funny how everything turned up this way. I waited for a reaction from Dal-rae but all she did was stare into the sky. Just like I did a few minutes ago.

" So this was what you were looking at the whole time." she uttered those irrelevant words.

She wasn't answering my question. 

" Do you think Mom is looking over at us now?"

After making that statement, she turned to look at me. This woman, next to me was my blood sister. For a moment, I forgot that this person right here... was the person that I needed the most. The star that I've been looking for the whole time.

It all started with Dal-rae. If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't have met Shin Ah-ra nor would I have gone the extra mile to get into the same school as my sister. I did all of those for her. During those years that I grew up feeling lonely, it was her that I missed the most. 

It all finally made sense. 

" Sandeul-ah... Let's live a proper life now. We'll buy our own house and I'll take care of everything for you." 

I swallowed back the tears and blinked repeatedly. The thought of having a family member to take care of me made my heart race. It was something that I yearned so much after mom passed. 

" That's a good idea. I have an older sister to manage my savings now." 

I laughed it out but in a matter of seconds, I was burying my face into her shoulder. We both suffered so much to get here. Tears of happiness and pain escaped from my eyes, soaking her blouse.

" Who are you to kid me... Lee Sandeul, you're still such a crybaby..."

She softly patted my back and ruffled my hair. Like a small child, I tightened the grip around her and stared into the beautiful scenery of the river.

Misunderstood, lonely, scarred, pain, loss; those terms related so much to the both of us.

For every single misdeed that we both did, we are still siblings. She is the only person in my life that shares memories of our childhood, our parents, our unhappiness. Everything. I guess, she's someone I can depend on now. 

The victims of unrequited love; a love that the both of us couldn't achieve.

Jung Jinyoung being her ex-boyfriend.

Shin Ah-ra who was once mine. 

Let's forget all of those now, shall we? 

 


" Unrequited love does not die; it's only beaten down to a secret place where it hides, curled and wounded. For some unfortunates, it turns bitter and mean, and those who come after pay the price for the hurt done by the one who came before.”- Elle Newmark

 

 

(A/N:Thank you to those who has subscribed, read, commented, upvoted and supported the story. ^^ )